Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a baby false widow spider?

Options
  • 21-10-2013 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Found this spider in my house earlier and was wondering if it was a baby false widow.. It seems to have an unusual marking/colouring on it's body.. It's still there now I'm afraid to move it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Lauren3142

It seems to be a false black widow spider.
    Get rid of it asap or put a glass over it and get someone whos not afraid to get rid of it for you, you really don't want it to go missing.
    There not as dangerous as the real black widows ,but still nasty all the same.

I had one in my house and i just stared at it for hours until my dad got home.

Good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Found a big one in the apartment today, got it into a vase and didn't fancy taking it back out to kill it but it went completely lifeless, shook the jar, nothing, shook it again and it stayed lifeless, still didn't fancy taking it out so put the jar back on the table and it started running laps of the jar. Apparently a defence mechanism when they get stressed or threatened is to act dead or dying and then escape.

Yeah there sneaky ! never trust a black widow !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I think I came across one of these in my kitchen yesterday. A sharp smack with a rolled up newspaper sorted it out easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I cant open the picture, but I think I read that false widows have not yet reached Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

I cant open the picture, but I think I read that false widows have not yet reached Ireland.

they did. I had one climbing my external door :(

I'm 100% sure this one was real one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I saw a spider on the outside wall of my apartment block in Rathmines on Friday.

It was of the right size and body-type for a false widow, and had a white horozontal band across its abdomen.

Not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

i removed the one mentioned on the 28th.

last night I spotted baby spider in the same net.. not good. I agree.

There definitely in ireland its been all over the radio and everything !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

it must be very hot sun lately we are getting foreigne creature to our country, isnt native in our country, only found in South Africa and is found in Australia and New Zealandand and uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

This lad is behind the florescent light in my kitchen, I did a google image search and I fairly sure it's the real deal. Placid spider, with a bit no worse than a bee sting seemingly although some of the bites in google images tell a different story:D

2d5agm.jpg

2mzm3b.jpg

Advertisement