Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Halloween, anyone hate it as a kid?

• 21-10-2013 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭

Scary movies, pre-trick or treating era party food that was actually good for you...nuts/apples? General dislike of pretend gore/masks/spiders that kids are 'supposed' to like?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Used to hate it when we weren't allowed to go out for whatever reason,rain etc. and still seeing other kids being allowed out.Still loved all the games we used to play and all the ghost stories though,and I used to love making masks and stuff at school.

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

Loved it, still prefer it to christmas.. there was always a smell of cold in the air, the nights were fresh and on halloween night the place would be buzzing, all dressed up and heading for the fire..
    at midnight the fog would be on tv, still gets me that movie does... it's excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Nope, I loved it as a kid.

Things like bobbing for apples, barmbrack with the ring in it, getting monkeynuts instead of chocolate bars when "Trick or treating" (which of course wasn't called "Trick or treating" back then and was a fairly uncommon phrase).

I remember we used to go to the local mechanic and they'd give us worn truck tires to use on the bonfire. Picture an 8 year old kid trying to maneuver 2 large truck tires down a hilly path and keep control of them so they didn't go flying out into oncoming traffic. A good workout to be sure!

I think once I reached secondary school Halloween (like most things) lost its fun factor for me. By then it was about getting bangers and seeing what sort of anti-social mischief could be caused with them. That got old pretty quick.

Good memories anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,614 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

We never went trick or treating as children because we lived in the middle of the countryside and nobody did it.
    Always had barmbrack and did the apple in a basin of water thingy as above ^^.

As an adult, thoroughly enjoyed it though.
    Have been to loads of fancy dress parties, and my children always went trick or treating when we lived in towns.
    Then we moved to the countryside,and again, very few people expect you to go trick or treating, so we just did our own party tricks etc....

I have a huge box of masks and costumes, love getting into the spirit of it all.
    Life is for having lots of fun, as often as possible!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,340 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Hated it as a kid and detest it even more now that I'm all grown up (sort of!). Anything involving fancy dress is a complete pain in the arse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Zaph wrote: »
    Hated it as a kid and detest it even more now that I'm all grown up (sort of!). Anything involving fancy dress is a complete pain in the arse.

Ah Zaph, you mean you didn't enjoy getting monkey nuts, bobbing apples and bringing back your stash of sweets/nuts/apples and a few coins from the night of door to door collecting and emptying your bag onto the kitchen table with delight, followed by watching a few precious fireworks, sneaked down from Newry going off outside, when it was really late and way past your bedtime?:eek:

Yer a hard man to please:D

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,340 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Ah Zaph, you mean you didn't enjoy getting monkey nuts, bobbing apples and bringing back your stash of sweets/nuts/apples and a few coins from the night of door to door collecting and emptying your bag onto the kitchen table with delight, followed by watching a few precious fireworks, sneaked down from Newry going off outside, when it was really late and way past your bedtime?:eek:

You know I really didn't enjoy it at all. I'm not a fan of nuts unless they're roasted and salted, so a big bag of assorted raw nuts was bugger all use to me, and I always hated the crappy little apples you got that only ever seemed to be available at Halloween. Sweets were rare enough, there'd be the odd bit of cheap confectionery but it was mainly apples and nuts. Fireworks were a bit scarce when I was a kid, so you wouldn't see too many. Some of the tougher kids would have a few bangers, but to this day I don't see the point of them.
    Yer a hard man to please:D

Yep :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Everyone on here seem to be direct descendants of goats :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Remember when RTE ran a horror season in 3D one Halloween and what do they kick it off with but The Three Stooges?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

darkdubh wrote: »
    Remember when RTE ran a horror season in 3D one Halloween and what do they kick it off with but The Three Stooges?

Yeah, I remember it well. They gave away 3D glasses with the RTE guide. I remember a film called the mad magician with a crematorium in it....:D

Never went trick or treating because I lived in the middle of nowhere. But we played all the old games like snap apple and bobbing for apples. There were bonfires too, some of the older kids used to collect timber and tyres for weeks leading up to the big night. A sound local farmer used to let them hold the bonfire on his land and some parents would supervise the goings on. It was all very informal.

I think it's gone really commercial now, it's like a mini-Christmas with all the decorations! I love the horror films still though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Remember being traumatised by one of the Halloween movies, the one where they sold cursed halloween masks to kids!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭Hematocyte

Remember being traumatised by one of the Halloween movies, the one where they sold cursed halloween masks to kids!

That would Halloween III. :D

Don't forget to wear your masks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,733 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Found it all way too much effort, far easier to just eat all the sweets at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

darkdubh wrote: »

Ya I remember the glasses were something like these

DHL-free-shipping-500pcs-lot-Blank-font-b-Paper-b-font-Red-Blue-Cyan-font-b.jpg

I think you had to have the room to be in the dark for them to work :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Absolutely loved it and still do!

Trick or treating was great fun. I remember being 13 heading out for my final jaunt. I still wish I could go. My inner child is alive and well this time of year.

I also loved all the games especially bobbing for apples and blind man's buff.

Fancy dress is super fun too!

I truly love Halloween. I wish we embraced it more keenly than we do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I grew up in the USA where it was a huge deal, trick or treating, etc. I'll always remember the scare-stories about psycho neighbours putting razor blades in apples and poison in sweets.

Moved to Ireland when I was nearly a teenager, disappointed that all you ever got then was money. Who wanted money?? and no one ever dressed up! Obviously that was a few decades ago...

My kids (born here) were very much into the whole thing when younger. Then they lost interest in their mid-teens, got interested again in dressing up (and going out for pints) in late teens, and then rapidly got sick of the whole thing to the point where they will not even think about going out tomorrow night because it will be "messy".

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭onform

Hematocyte wrote: »
    That would Halloween III. :D

Don't forget to wear your masks!

I remember watching this movie on RTÉ back in the 80s. There's a gory scene where a drill is used(not for carpentry!). They mustn't have wanted to show the worst bits, but rather than cutting the scene entirely they just cut to a commercial break just as the drill began to rev up. Cue much moans and groans (appropriate for the time of year I suppose ;-))

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ring4Fea

I hated that no one else wanted to show respect to those who'd Passed, on the Dusk til Dawn of the Samhain, instead reducing it to a Simpsons annual non-event designed to shill and spruik for Cadbury's and other pseudo chocolatiers.

I appreciated the few people in the few places that cared enough to try to keep the respect for the Night as it deserves.

And at least the film Halloween 3 actually attempted to broach such things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9 david147

Halloween is great

Advertisement