Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming computer a good one for 400-500€

Options
  • 21-10-2013 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

A good gaming computer for 400-500?€

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

I believe there's a template you have to fill out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 brando.curto

mad turnip wrote: »
    I believe there's a template you have to fill out.

What ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

A good gaming computer for 400-500?€

I recently got this from Overclockers. Increased it to 8GB of RAM and the Nvidia GTX 650 graphics card.

Overall it cost €556 including delivery and VAT.

Had it for about 2-3 weeks now and it's great. Can run Skyrim on Ultra settings at a very good FPS. I really recommend it.

You can pay extra to get Windows installed too if you don't already have it. You'll need to get a 64bit version of either Windows 7 or 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Don't you think, one thread is enough? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

TRY and get windows 7, as win8 has no advantage for gaming on
    a pc.
    ITS a mess of an operating system , at least on pcs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

riclad wrote: »
    a pc.

If Windows 8 is cheaper then why not get it. I use it for gaming and its fine. The faster boot up times and tweaks (better task manager inbuilt, transfer progress bars and ribbon menus for Explorer to name a few) make me prefer it to 7.
    It's not that bad really, and 8.1 is rather decent (and a free update).

Nick

riclad wrote: »
    a pc.

Windows 8 is grand for gaming, I literally have no idea why people say it's not.

Yes there are bugs, just like there was/is bugs with every previous versions of Windows.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Windows 8 is grand for gaming, I literally have no idea why people say it's not.

Yes there are bugs, just like there was/is bugs with every previous versions of Windows.

Windows 8 is incredibly stable I have found, the only instability is the ATI video card, but I cannot blame the OS in this instance as the same issues arise on any platform.
    Even still I've been using it for months now and have had only 1 or 2 crashes related to the video card. Can't blame Microsoft for AMDs rubbish programming though..
    Windows 7 is also very stable, there isn't much difference between them

Nick

yoyo wrote: »
    Windows 8 is incredibly stable I have found, the only instability is the ATI video card, but I cannot blame the OS in this instance as the same issues arise on any platform.
    Even still I've been using it for months now and have had only 1 or 2 crashes related to the video card. Can't blame Microsoft for AMDs rubbish programming though..
    Windows 7 is also very stable, there isn't much difference between them

Nick

Windows 8 did cause hassle with my ATI card too, got a few crashes, but in fairness it was a 6-7 year old card that was nearing it's end anyway.

Aside from that, once you get use to the UI it's actually a solid system overall.
    I plan on combining the Leap Motion with it in the future for massive nerdy pleasure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Maybe the OP doesn't need to buy an operating system? Why are we fighting here over Windows 7 and Windows 8?

Don't you think we should establish the best best deal for hardware first? I mean the budget is limited enough as it is.

Edit: Oh, riclad, you little devil, you started it! :D

• Advertisement

Torqay wrote: »
    Why are we fighting here over Windows 7 and Windows 8?

Because... uh... shut up, that's why! :pac:

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Windows 8 did cause hassle with my ATI card too, got a few crashes, but in fairness it was a 6-7 year old card that was nearing it's end anyway.

Apparently on any platform its normal for ATI drivers to crash and burn, have to run 3rd party uninstallers to fix driver issues and the odd graphics corruption here and there on hardware accelerated apps is "normal". I was going to RMA the card as I actually believed it was faulty. But from Googling it appears that the same issues happen Linux machines and from XP onwards so I'd likely be wasting my time RMAing it. It doesn't happen often, but it is annoying and this will be my last ATI card.
    Anyways lets all get back on topic as Torqay says :)

Nick

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭creep

A little over budget but twice as powerful as Sonics build.

Item|Price
    AMD FX-6300 Prozessor, Boxed, Sockel AM3+|€98.87
    BitFenix Merc Alpha|€32.87
    8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws PC3-10667U CL9|€71.39
    MSI 970A-G43, AMD Sockel AM3+, ATX, DDR3|€58.77
    Sharkoon WPM500|€45.56
    WD Caviar Blue 1TB 6Gb's|€53.74
    Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X, 2GB DDR5, PCI-Express|€180.06
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€560.25

270x is a great card

I'd recommend posting in the building and upgrading forum. Some great information there

• Registered Users Posts: 83,307 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Torqay wrote: »
    Don't you think, one thread is enough? :D
    tell that to my Egyptian cotton sheets. badum tss

Advertisement