Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling v Triathlon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Week 25 - 7th April
    Busy week with farming and heading on holidays

Monday:
    8.6k recovery at lunch

2.3k swim
    8x50m @ 65 (25 catch-up, 25 swim)

5x100 @ 2.05 (25 left-hand fist, 25 RH fist)
    4x50 @ 65 sprint
    Repeat

6x50m @ 65 breathing 2/4 and 2/6

Tuesday:
    Missed the morning swim, cant remember why :o

21k run - UCD session
    5x1500m with 2.30 recovery
    (5.57, 5.55, 5.50, 5.46, 5.45)
    Felt good and strong

Wednesday

Headed west in the evening

Thursday & Friday:

Farming for a couple of days, 9 tonne of fertiliser lifting so I'll count it as a weights session. Thursday nite out for a 25 card game, always somethign I love when I go home.

Wrecked by the timeI got back to Dublin

Saturday:
    Fly out to Faro in the morning, lovely mid 20s temp. Transfer over to Monto Gorde and once we checked in we went for a short run, 5k along the trails just beside the hotel.
    The only downside was there was an U-10 soccer world cup on and a million kids in the hotel.

Sunday - Up early for a 16k run before breakfast, I'm never big fan of running first thing, my back needs time to straighten out.
    After breakfast we did a 70k cycle, nice and handy, stopped at a river for a swim, weather was savage.
    Home for a 2k sea swim

Disrupted week but not too worried as I knew I had a week of training coming up.

Totals for the week (including commute)
    Swim - 4.43k
    Cycle - 112.54k
    Run - 50.06k
    Time (excl commute)
    10:13:20

Week 26 - 14th April
    Hard to beleive its 6 months since I started this

Monday:
    Pool before breakfast

3x200 @ 4.15
    4x150 @ 3.15
    6x100@ 2.10

We split up for the remainder of the week for cycling so I increased the distance. Punctured twice here and the second time I was using a tube of my own which was too big for the tyre :( Second half of the cycle was very sheepish with a tyre bulging and the side casing torn and no spare tubes
    Weather was hitting the 30s though :D

Run session in the evening 12.6k
    4x1500 with 2.30 recovery

Tuesday:
    Pool before breakfast
    12x50 @ 65 ( catch-up, fist, bilateral)

4x100 @ 2.15 (75 easy, 25 hard; 50e, 50h; 25e, 75h; 100h)
    X4

Brick session in the afternoon
    14k cycle (last 3k hard) - 2.5k run
    x3

OW swim in the evening 1k

Wednesday
    Rest day - 1k OW swim

Thursday:

Pool 2.5k swim

12x50 @ 65 ( single arm, single arm, catch-up, fist)
    5x100 @ 2.10
    5x100 @ 2.05
    4x100 @ 2.00
    4x100 @ 2.10

Tired at the end of that

130k hilly cycle, tough going on my own

6k easy run with some plyometrics

Friday:

2k OW swim

We had been out Tuesday nite and ran into an english running club, nice group. They had told us about a three day running series in the local villages. 6k cross country on the friday, 5k beach run on the Saturday and a half marathon on the Sunday. So we had decided to do the 6k run today.

Arrived late for the ladies race so the OH asked to run with the men, no problem.
    Tough race, I was f**ked starting and hated every minute of it, the three english lads all beat me :(
    24.17 for 6k

The OH ended up having a time good enough for 2nd, given this was her first race back after 18 months out with a broken patella she was over the moon. But then there was an objection from the girl bumped from 3rd to 4th so she was taken off the podium for that day but told she could keep her 2nd for the overall competition. As we were leaving saturday that was little use :(

On the plus side the race was sponsored by the local beer Superbock and that was free after the race :pac:

That nite I convinced the OH to go back on the Saturday, that we could squeeze it in before our transfer.

Saturday:
    So we were out again for the beach run on the Saturday. I decided to go barefoot, after doing some of the minimalist stuff with Joe Warne last year I was happy enough I'd be able for 5k.
    Delighted with this race, tougher field but came in under the 20 mins, 19.48, and managed to beat the english lads.
    The OH finished 3rd, again a tougher ladies field, 2nd and 3rd from the previous day were down to 6th and 7th. She was delighted, a great end to the holiday :D

After picking up some new gear in decathlon we were off home

Sunday - Up early and headed west for a couple of days, cracking day for some 4-a-side uncle and nephews/nieces football and a few beers

Swim - 11.44k
    Cycle - 314.4k
    Run - 39.62k
    Time (excl commute)
    20:31:22

Week 27 - 21st April

Monday:
    At home farming, lovely time of year, it was a cracking day and letting out the cattle for the summer

Tuesday:
    Missed the morning swim, tiredness
    19.6k run - UCD session
    3k - 12.05
    3 mins recovery
    1.5k - 6.15
    was meant to do 500m but left it at that, tired after the previous week

Wednesday

8.5k at lunch easy, very sore knee, ITB at me again

Thursday:

Swim session 1.9k
    12 x 50m @ 70 25 head high, 25 swim, every 3rd one hard

8x50 @ 75 sprints
    x3

Orwell club league, out in Corkagh park, had been promoted after my first outing in the club league, a TT. Found myself very nervous on the track, theres some lovely turns but I just froze and ended up being dropped with half the group without really emptying myself, frustrating. I dont think I'd have an issue staying with them other than that, felt strong

Friday:
    1.7k swim
    16 x 25m @ 40 4 strokes head high, 4 strokes swim
    Remainder technique

10k run at lunch with the OH, felt really fresh and strong

Saturday:

Back to do my second stage of accreditation at Sundrive track.
    Did the 20 odd laps warm up and then started doing some slightly faster laps.
    Next thing I'm being helped into the clubhouse, have no real recollection of the accident but what I think happened is that I had to slow and rather than going up the bank I stopped pedalling, BAD IDEA. Fired off the bike.
    Once I got back into the clubhouse they asked me my name and address which I could remember but I couldnt remember what I did or what day of the week it was, that it was April, all very confused. Scary, I was aware that I was confused but couldnt figure out the information I wanted.
    Off in the ambulance and had come to half an hour later, waited for the x-ray which showed nothing broken but ligament damage (didnt think you could get that from an x-ray) and some existing damage which explains my poor movement in that shoulder.
    So back in two weeks to an ortho guy for the full check up.

Left with a sling that I only need some of the time, have reasonable movement but some things are very sore to do. Very lucky in fairness.
    No swimming for a while but am hopeful that I can get back running and cycling fairly soon.

Sunday:
    Marshalled at the clubs in-house new to tri event and then at the Samsung nite run, two good events, serious numbers for the samsung event

This has caused major disruption to my plans, had signed up on Friday for the Orwell Randonee next Saturday, thats in serious doubt, we'll see what the physio says tonite.
    I had been due to play in a charity GAA match with Mick O'Dwyer as my manager on the bank holiday monday which is almost definitely out :(

More important is to be back for the Race the RAS 18-20 May and Lough CUltra 25 May, fingers crossed for them

Swim - 3.6k
    Cycle - 92.92k
    Run - 37.95k
    Time (excl commute)
    8:04:56

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Sorry to hear that! Thats sounds nasty!! Hopefully the news will be positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

No sooner than your OH is finally back than you go and get injured. From reading your post in the SBR I thought you would be out longer.

A real pity as you seemed to be going very well

• Advertisement

catweazle wrote: »
    No sooner than your OH is finally back than you go and get injured. From reading your post in the SBR I thought you would be out longer.

A real pity as you seemed to be going very well

I'm optimistic, I cycled in today (gingerily) and I can put weight on it but jerking it can make the eyes water.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

sorry to hear that. know it's tough,but don;t rush the comeback. body needs time to heal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nasty - sorry to hear that. Speedy recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Fingers and toes crossed for the quickest recovery ever!!

Cheers guys

Was at the physio last nite, ligaments torn means my shoulder isnt being held in place the way it should be, he reckons it'll be 2-3 months before I'm back to full strength, which means swimming.
    I did say that I wanted to race May 24th and he didnt knock it on the head completely so I'd be hopeful enough
    I asked about running and he said too early yet, too much movement of the shoulder and suggested I " do some intervals on a stationary bike", for which I heard "2 hour turbo session", I'll just have to be careful on it, maybe stay upright for the session but at least I can do something

Not the best news, not the worst. I keep thinking I could easily have broken my collar bone so anything else is a plus

• Advertisement

Week 28 - 28th April

Not a lot to report this week, shoulder has come along well. Had been cycling in and out to work and it was fine, no pain in any of the movements there.

Wednesday:
    30 minutes turbo

Saturday:
    After talking to another physio from home, he said if there was no pain cycling that I could work away, he said the danger would be that I'd come down on it again or that I wouldnt react quick enough in breaking if I had my hands on the bars.

So with that in mind I saddled up for the Orwell Randonnee. Great day out. The only time my shoulder was an issue was right at the very start in heavy traffic where we were crawling along and I was busy having a chat and didnt see the lad in front of me stopping, into the back of him and gave the shoulder a jolt it didnt appreciate. Kept my eyes on the road after that.

Really well organised event and some tough climbs. Was in the first group over the Sally and Wicklow gaps but dropped back a little on the Sally the second time around. Felt very strong and knowing a few of the lads in the group with me was very happy with where I was in relation to them. Put up a few good strava segments.

155k in total for me, tired at the end of it

Sunday:

Saturday went so well I went looking for a group to head out with Sunday and found a few from the tri-club. Did 100k and a reasonable pace.
    A good weekend of cycling and no ill effects on the shoulder.

Swim - 0k :(
    Cycle - 303.5k
    Run - 0k :(
    Time (excl commute)
    10:41:58

Plan for this week is to head to Belfast for the Giro on Thursday, have managed to get tickets for some form of meet and greet on the Thursday evening and then wait around for the TTT on Friday.
    Can't wait!

Week 29 - 5th May

Monday
    I had a big choice to make coming up to this bank holiday.
    At christmas I had committed to playing in a charity GAA match in aid of St Lukes and St James hospitals in Dublin, for their cancer work. The idea behind the match was that everyone playing had been treated for cancer at some stage. In 1998 I was 18 and found a lump in my neck, which I was told was a form of leukemia, at tiem I wasnt worried at all, I asked could it be treated and was told yes with some chemo and radiotherapy, so I was happy enough, the innocence of youth. As it turned out the biopsy came back showing it was a beign tumour which was removed and after a month in hospital I was back to college.
    In the build up to this match through emails I got a sense of what this meant to the other players, I had gotten off lightly but some of these lads had been through real tough times.
    So baring in mind that a wrong turn could end my tri season I decided to go ahead with the match, I felt I could take on a straight shoulder to shoulder charge and since it was my left shoulder and I'm right handed I was more likely to get hit that side.

The match itself was one of the best sporting occasions I've been involved in. Mick O'Dwyer was the manager of our team and Brian Cody the manager of the other, they had the Artane boys band to lead us around the pitch and micheal o'muircheartaigh doing commentary, Liam O'Neill there to present us with medals afterwards. A great day out with some amazing people. Some of the better known players would have been Joe Deane the Cork hurler, Marty McGrath from Fermanagh and John McGrath plays with Wicklow now.

Anyway the shoulder held up well, a little sorer after but nothing major.

Tuesday:
    20k run - UCD session
    6 x 400m
    60 secs recovery
    1.5k - 5.38
    6 x 200m

Found the shorter sprints tough

Wednesday
    Easy 8k run at lunch

Club cycle 50k
    10k-10k-5k 90% effort
    Good sessions, although the phoenix park was busy with voldemort's duathlon.

Thursday
    Belfast for the meet the riders for the Giro, great atmosphere

Friday
    Spent the day watching the giro warm ups and buying fancy new cycling gear :)
    The TTT itself was amazing to see, the speed but also how some of the teams weren't that great at the oul changeovers :eek:
    Again great atmosphere

Saturday
    Travelled to Mayo for some farming, brought the bike on the train and then cycled to Galway for a stag that nite. ****ing misery, wet and windy, in my face the whole way and I had forgotten how truely awful that Headford road is, poor surface with long straight stretches and cars over taking coming towards you.
    I was a happy man to reach Galway, although disappointed that both the Front Door and Halo (neither my choice) were both fairly rough and that Halo seemed to have Eastern European prostitutes?? WTF

Sunday
    Back to Dublin and in to watch stage 3 of the giro, again amazing to see and soak up the atmosphere.

An eventful week!

Swim - 0k frown.png
    Cycle - 209.81k
    Run - 28.74k
    Time (excl commute)
    9:36:13hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Green&Red wrote: »
    Week 29 - 5th May

I was a happy man to reach Galway, although disappointed that both the Front Door and Halo (neither my choice) were both fairly rough and that Halo seemed to have Eastern European prostitutes?? WTF

Is there none in Coxes or the Welcome Inn :D

I suppose where else would they operate from in Galway - there's no real strip clubs unlike your usual European stag destinations. Very disappointing alright though - to think you have scored a hot East European then to see the hand come out looking for money when you suggest to come back to your place for a cup of tea and a kit-kat.

This is the most blatent thing I've ever seen.

Still no swimming but shoulder is coming along alright

Week 30 - 12th May

Monday
    15.7k run easy

Tuesday: UCD run session 22.34k
    2 x 3k (11.59 & 12.11)
    Felt tired after the longer than normal run on the Monday

Wednesday: Club cycle set in Phoenix Park - 25k
    Only did a small bit, headed off to play a tag match. I've had a yearning for team sports for a while so I'm hoping this will scratch that itch, Wednesay will take the place of a rest day.

Thursday: Irishtown track sessions 18.15k
    2k TT sprung on us - 6:54, very happy felt real strong and plenty left in the tank at the end.

Saturday: Spent rotovating the garden and reseeding it, tough day

Sunday: Theres an event that goes off ahead of the RAS called Race the RAS, its in aid of cancer research and has been running for the last four years, the idea is that you cycle the route of the RAS before the race itself.
    Theres been a few lads who have done it and then moved onto teams themselves, this year the Race the RAS group have entered a team themselves.
    Lots of interesting people do it, this year Paul and Alan McCormack took part, Paul won the RAS twice in the 80's, while his brother Alan was the on the 1987 Irish team for the world championships with Kelly, Roche, Kimmage and Martin Earley.
    There were over 100 riders for the first day 147k from Dunboyne to Roscommon. A miserable day weather wise but met some interesting people. Paul Earley was there for the full week, steady cyclist and nice fella. Surprisingly Johnny Ronan was there for three days, a buddy of Sean Kellys as they are both from Carrick, not who I expected to see on a bike but good craic and some good stories.
    A group were over with the McCormacks from America for the week to do the event. A lot of handy club cyclists were there too so there was a nice pace to the faster group.
    Micheal O'Muircheartaigh was there to set off the cyclists, a day after climbing Carrantouhill with Sam, amazing man. He reckons Gavin Duffy doesnt have enough football played to make the Mayo team ;)

Swim - 0k frown.png
    Cycle - 225.57k
    Run - 56.18k
    Time (excl commute)
    11:49:43hrs

Week 31 - 19th May

Monday: Race the RAS day 2 Roscommon to Lisdoonvarna
    Miserable day, 162k, down to two groups totalling about 50 riders. I can see why there was so many crashes on Monday, the roads through some of the towns were very windy, Athenry and Kinvara in particular. Met Shane Scully after who came down in Kinvara and he was sore. The weather picked up for us after Ballvaughan so the run down the cost was amazing. Some nasty little hills coming out of Doolin, we basically went across a mountain to get back on the Lisoonvarna road.
    I was surprised (and disappointed) that they had left LIttle Corker off the route.

Tuesday: Race the RAS day 3 Lisdoonvarna to Charleville
    Flat and easy enough stage, one climb that wasnt too bad and then what was meant to be a CAT climb at about 70k was a speed bump.
    Had a mechanical after 120k which meant into the broom wagon, fix it and back out just before home, cut my day short. 128k

Would have loved to have been waiting for the eight days, but I've signed for Lough Cultra and I'm hoping it will go well so it was back to Dublin with me.

A great event and a great group of lads (and some girls), I'll definitely be back for it next year and hopefully use it as a stepping stone for the real thing at some stage.

Week 31 - 19th May

Wednesday: Nice easy run at lunch, legs felt good 8.6k
    Tag match in the evening, handy win

Thursday: Decided to give swimming a go this morning, if I'm going to race Sunday I need to know how the shoulder is. Not good is the answer, in pain on each stroke. Not unbareable for the 50m I did but not going to do me any good. Ended up doing 1k of kicking and a shortened underwater stroke. Nice to do some swimming.

Sunday comes down to how much damage I think it will do for after and if I'm prepared to take that risk :eek:

Hey G&R! :)

Is Lisdoonvarna where they do that matchmaking thing? If so, have you ever been??

What is a tag match?

And good to see you back in the pool, but so sorry the shoulder is still not comfortable in the water. Patience, though. It will come.

Lisdoonvarna is indeed where they do the match making festival, I've never been by one of my sisters went when she was single, good craic she said but probably not the place for a 20/30 something to find the love of their life!

Tag is rugby but without the contact, you have tags attached to your hips, pull them off and its a tackle, 6 tackles and the ball is turned over. Its mixed and went through a phase of being a great spot to go on the pull. Novelty has kinda worn off now but its a bitta craic and a distraction.

A few years ago a friend and I set up a gaelic version, quiet successful for the one year we ran it, really enjoyed it. Work committments meant we couldnt run it the second year. Here was our catchy PR photo

ad1.jpg

• Advertisement

Physio this morning gave me the all clear to do the triathlon, he reckons seen as its only short I wont do too much damage. So looks like I'm racing Sunday :D

Saturday:
    Home to vote Friday night, I can't believe Ming will be elected, I suppose you get the politicians you deserve and at least he's out of the Dail.
    Had planned a small bit of work Saturday, which turned into a large bit of work, tired finishing up and sore after getting pinned to a gate by a cow, ouch.

Sunday:
    Up at 7 to head from Galway down to Gort.
    My wave was off at 10am and it was great to be able to rock up only an hour beforehand. The HIM was off by the time I got near transition, well organised, clubs could learn a lot from the lay out.

800m swim - nice swim but with the shoulder I couldnt put on what jets I have, towards the end it was just downright sore and I was lazy, flopping abck into the water. The wetsuit did help a lot. Out in 16:46 and 14th overall, disappointing.

T1 - Fastest T1 of the race (I'll take it while its coming)

43k (ish) bike - busy bike route but I was loving it, 2k of climbing from 4-6k and then a ridiculously steep downhill ending in a sharp s bend. Rest of the route was flat, felt strong. Towards the 15k mark on the second lap I overtook a lad who obviously didnt like it and immediately overtook me, nearly took the wheel off me cutting back in, that was a message that I was cruising too much and instead off dropping back I just put on the gas and dropped him. Similar happened with Rodneyr1981 coming out of Gort.
    Coming into T2 at the dismount line the bike went from under me. I was lucky that I landed on the right shoulder this time and hopped up after going head over heels. Wheel at right angles :(
    1:14:23 for the cycle, 2nd fastest split of the day and up to 2nd. 1:05 down on Martin Grealish

T2 - A little shook - 6th fastest split but 17 seconds down on Martin Grealish

Run - Interesting run, trail, through a field, a lot of people giving out about it but I reckon its the same for everyone. Passed by Rodney and an english lad at about the 3k mark and that was it, tried to stay on Rodneys tail but thought it was too fast, looking back now I wish I had pushed myself more to stick there. I was disappointed with my run 33:31 for 8k, not nearly good enough or reflective of where my running is. Left me kinda disappointed.
    33:31 - 5th fastest

4th overall

I dont know what to make of the race, a better swim and I would have been in with a shout of 2nd/3rd. Coming off the bike didnt help but these things happen, dont think I can blame my run on that, I had the chance to dig deep when the two lads passed me and I didnt.
    Looking at the cycle, 2nd is great but it would only have been good enough for 30th in the olympic.

I dont know where I go from here, have to rest the shoulder but part of me is eyeing up the sprint in Athy next weekend, dragged down the river by the current and draft back up. We'll see!

Edit: Balls had forgotten about the big dirty crack in Molly, will see what happens with that :(:mad: (See pic)

Swim - 1.8k
    Cycle - 388.65k
    Run - 16.62k
    Time (excl commute)
    13:30:15hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Well done Green&Red, with your injury that's great going. Crack on bike looks pretty scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Well done on a good result the weekend.

Sorry to hear about the bike - I've used Mark Downey to repair my previous frame and he did a top notch job.
    It will be repaired in carbon so you'd have to respray it but that could be done anytime. Heck get a custom paint job done at same time! :):):D

anyway, highly recommend him for repairs:

Mark Downey - 087-9957420
    He makes Kayaks and the like and has repaired loads of bikes. Very good with carbon fibre.

Very reasonable also. He's based in Palmerstown in Dubline so not sure if suits you. Doesn't take long at all so you could have for the weekend if you're fast.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

ouch, thats a nasty looking crack alright, hope it can get fixed. nice job on the race though

Cheers Fazz but that lad has moved to Oz. By the sounds of it its a write off, balls!

Yikes! Poor Molly!! Tend to her wounds, G&R, and she'll treat you right. ;) Well done in the race, especially with a shoulder that's not 100% yet. 4th is pretty damn respectable! :)

Week 32 - 26th May

Monday: FTP test in Trinity
    A lot wrong with this apparently, 5 mins (290) was lower than my 20 min total (297), gave me a 282 FTP. Also the day after a race not ideal so maybe they even out.
    I felt this on Tuesday, I was wiped out, a lot to learn yet about recovery

Tuesday:
    Went swimming Tuesday morning, just kicking with flippers, felt a groin strain that afternoon.

UCD run session 20k
    1.5k - 5.42
    3k - 12.11
    1.5k - 5.42

Couldnt sleep Tuesday nite, almost everyway I lied I was pulling on my groin Oh_ec0362_2570604.jpg

No fun

That was it for the week, my groin strain was noticeable when I was walking but ok when I was running and seems to be linked to an ITB problem because I couldnt get a proper stretch on it.

Saturday: Triathy

Decided Tuesday morning, pre groin strain, to do athy as its a quick swim and I reckoned I could get through it.

750m swim - felt strong on the upstream 250m and then tired towards the end of the swim. 55th put of the water

T1 - grand

20k bike - Flat bike route, it was very fast. I had borrowed a road bike with TT bars clipped on. I knew going out the bike was a little small for me and the set up but it was only 20k so I reckoned suck it up. Bits of my legs were screaming but still happy with the bike.
    Up to 22nd

T2 - grand

Run - Awful run course and awful run from me. I'm hoping it was the groin or maybe the small bike. I dont know, depressing.
    Back to 30th

Sunday: Dropped Molly over to Jimmys cycles in Malahide, they reckon they can fix it up and that the downtube takes very little pressure which is why its straight forward to fix, happy days.
    €250 is steep but still cheaper than a new frame

Swim - 1.95k
    Cycle - 80.6k
    Run - 25k
    Time (excl commute)
    4:08:33hrs[/QUOTE]

Have decided to take the week off, I've no grá for it a the moment and I'm thinking a few days off wont do any harm, although the last few weeks have all been light.
    Also decided to not do Hell of the West, I dont think my shoulder will be able for it and also two months out of training I'd be lagging anyway. So instead I looked at Sligo and then saw that Con Doherty, Eamonn McAndrew, Aidhlinn O'Reilly and a few more are doing that.
    The quiet man is also on that day in Cong so its looking like a new target for me

I also invested in a new road bike yesterday, I'm very excited!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Hopefully the week off will get you back into it G&R, found the same myself this time last year. It's been a long winter of training and the injury you have had can knock the motivation a bit.

What road bike did you buy? This going to be the race bike to build up to the Ras on?

Advertisement