Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Storm / Strong winds 26th to 28th October 2013 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

So the 103 and the 108 gusts are discounted so?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Overkill on Sky News

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Overkill on Sky News

'Super Storm' they are referring to, the live coverage from 6AM will be interesting! ;)

They are again saying that Heathrow management have been told that they should expect gusts of 90MPH.

I'm not seeing it based on the models. Something we aren't seeing, or Sky just going mad?

EDIT: Unless they are misinterpreting windspeed forecasts for higher altitudes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Denmark I think will be getting the worst of this. NAE for 3pm.

277910.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

BBC News saying that the Met Office are reporting 61MPH winds in Plymouth at the moment.

EDIT: Now clarified that the figure relates to windspeed recorded 30 - 60 mins ago.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

France, Belgium and Holland may see considerably stronger gusts.

I thought it would lose power after it met the British landmass, but I'm just guessing really...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭Mech1

Early morning flights for heathrow are already airborne, do they know something Sky News doesn't?

heathrow.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He's flying directly into the path of the storm,

Some very strong storm force winds being reported now in various locations by the looks of things, still intensifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Wind speeds and pressure charts here

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

WRF wind forecast for S UK it looks to be gone by 06-07z

storm_zpsade9a7a6.png

storm2_zpsf6d2dec9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

The Nederlands looks like it will get it pretty bad

Schipols TAF is a long one

TAF EHAM 272306Z 2800/2906 19020G30KT 9999 -RA BKN020
    TEMPO 2800/2807 6000 RA SCT010 BKN015
    BECMG 2802/2805 20026G40KT BKN025
    BECMG 2807/2809 22033G45KT NSW
    BECMG 2809/2811 24038G55KT SCT040 PROB30
    TEMPO 2809/2811 24045G65KT
    BECMG 2812/2815 23023G35KT BKN025 PROB30
    TEMPO 2813/2820 25035G45KT 7000 -SHRA SCT018CB
    BECMG 2815/2818 22018G28KT SCT012 BKN020 PROB30
    TEMPO 2902/2906 23023G35KT 6000 -SHRA SCT012 SCT018CB=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Well, I managed to survive the night.. Driving to work at the moment and doing a bit of a damage assessment, a lot of leaves being blown around so far :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Strongest winds now developing just west of London along a squall line feature. Could see gusts to 75 mph around 0700 to 0800h. Wind gusts to 90 mph in the Dover marine region.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Area around the Isle of Wight/The Solent looks to be getting the strongest winds at the moment. St Catherines Pt, Solent MRCS and Thorney Island all reporting hurricane force gusts in the last half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I've just been outside in it.

False fire alarm in my Reading, UK hotel forced us all out at 6am. Still VERY windy. Didnt feel all that safe surrounded by all those swaying trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

Lots of planes circling in holding patterns for lhr , anyone know if they attempted landings?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭islanderre

Heathrow opena dn planes landing and taking off now.

Some have diverted; Singapore airlines, Thai and Air canada all gone to Manchester after circling in the heathrow hold for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

60 miles driven now and the worst damage I've seen is leaves on the ground and a few temporary sign posts blown over. Might be worse on the south coast but if this is as bad as it's getting then a complete overreaction for around here

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

It will be relatively calm in Cork tonight, no high winds are going to affect Ireland as a result of this system.

Going to be a lot head scratching in the morning in the UK methinks. Latest GFS has the storm quite weak.

Rtavn181.png
    Can hear the head scratching from here:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Having been in London for the 1987 night of the big wind I'm glad that they took no chances and were prepared for a worst case scenario. At least the disruption will be short lived and organised rather than the chaos that followed the '87 event which lasted for days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Just looking at Sky news and its hilarious, total overkill. They showed a picture of a double decker with a tree fallen on it but the picture is actually from 2011 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

Merkin wrote: »
    Just looking at Sky news and its hilarious, total overkill. They showed a picture of a double decker with a tree fallen on it but the picture is actually from 2011 ;)

Its like a scene from Anchorman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

End of days coverage on sky news in the last 24hrs but people lap it up im afraid. Never underestimate the power of media combined with peoples stupidity.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Langdon Bay, very near Dover, reporting a gust of 82mph at 0800...not to be sneezed at. :)

Sandettie light vessel, just off the coast of the NW coast of France (between Dover and Calais), reporting (sustained) wind of 71mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Langdon Bay, very near Dover, reporting a gust of 82mph at 0800...not to be sneezed at. :)

Sandettie light vessel, just off the coast of the NW coast of France (between Dover and Calais), reporting (sustained) wind of 71mph.

Nope that's strong enough to be fair. While sky news is overkill, south of England is just not accustomed to these storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

17 year old girl killed by fallen tree. Serious enough now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

Minimum disruption in Bristol airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24699748

A little more info here. Never trust sky's reporting but if the bbc say it, then it is so. Seems serious enough to me. This storm was only ever going to be south uk anyways. The "it didn't happen to me therefore it didn't happen" attitude is rarely helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Had some rocky landing here in Amsterdam an hour ago. Scary stuff especially after a 16 hour flight.

Advertisement