Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Storm / Strong winds 26th to 28th October 2013 ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

230,000 homes with no power
    2 people killed
    guests of wind 99mph
    is this not serious enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Brianmeath wrote: »
    230,000 homes with no power
    2 people killed
    guests of wind 99mph
    is this not serious enough?

well said its a terrible tragedy for those involved, some posters seem to want the worst possible outcome from storms.In London tree fell on a house causing a gas explosion which demolished three homes thats a tragedy for those involved

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Storm moving away from the UK and starting to be (really) felt in The Netherlands now. Vlieland, on the NW coast (of The Netherlands) reporting sustained wind of 65mph, gusting to 85mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Wnter

Storm 10 wrote: »
    well said its a terrible tragedy for those involved, some posters seem to want the worst possible outcome from storms.

Ah I kind of disagree. I think that because this is a technical discussion, a lot of the characteristics of this storm don't add up with regards to the extreme reports that are being given and that's why there are some dismissive notions floating about.

However, it's always disappointing to see exciting stormy weather being dumbed down as nothing before it's even had a chance to happen, as I love storms!

Hopefully there are no more deaths, that's fairly bad news to wake up to. Thankfully the number is so low. Still...

• Registered Users Posts: 37 burren

Serious enough here in The Netherlands atm. Vlieland now reporting gusts of 145 km/h and a sustained windspeed of 117km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭waterways

yes, some strong peak gusts (km/h) in the Netherlands now
    cgicurrentgraph?CEL=C&SI=kph&ART=karte&INT=06&LANG=en&JJ=2013&MM=10&TT=28&TIME=1030&TYP=windspitzen&KEY=NL&LAND=NL&CONT=euro&TIME=1382959061

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The gust to 99mph is a complete outlier, it is because the station on the Needles is on the side of a cliff at a high elevation exposed to the sea and is notorious for recording extreme anomalous winds.

Discussion on it here previously:

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/59584-needles-old-battery-lee-on-the-solent-weather-stations/

Some very high winds in the southeast as the system cleared.

Most significant for me was the 70mph gust reported at Heathrow. A decent gust for an inland location, otherwise inland gusts were 50-60mph with some gusts to 80mph on the exposed southern coast.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Recent 92mph gust at Vlieland (on the NW coast of The Netherlands)...looks like a pretty serious storm for those parts and Denmark in a couple of hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Denmark due for some rough stuff now. NAE at 3pm.

277939.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Just showed a double decker toppled over by the wind on sky news there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

A couple of discussions on radio and TV talked about the sting jet phenomenon possibly being associated with today's storm. Alex Deakin mentioned it on BBC News.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It was quite gusty here at around 6 this morning,. A couple of trees were down where I live. About 30 minutes after being told i had the day off due to the high winds, the worst was over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

It was quite gusty here at around 6 this morning,. A couple of trees were down where I live. About 30 minutes after being told i had the day off due to the high winds, the worst was over.

Very like when your school calls a snow day and then about an hour later the sun comes out and it all melts away

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

what annoys me is the hype by the media. Yes it wasn't as bad as first thought/forecast, but loss of life is the worst scenario that came TRUE. I think the ukmo got it near enough spot on with the south east being worst hit. I wonder how the danish press/media are handling it?

A lot of cancellations that happened pre storm didn't need to be. I can understand the frustration from people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Whilst I wouldn't recommend for anyone to read the Daily Mail - there is a good selection of storm damage images here.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2478056/UK-storm-SHUTDOWN-Homes-power-trains-suspended-flights-cancelled-St-Judes-Storm-lashes-Britain.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

snaps wrote: »
    what annoys me is the hype by the media. Yes it wasn't as bad as first thought/forecast, but loss of life is the worst scenario that came TRUE. I think the ukmo got it near enough spot on with the south east being worst hit. I wonder how the danish press/media are handling it?

A lot of cancellations that happened pre storm didn't need to be. I can understand the frustration from people.

That's the point I was making this morning, while there were a handful of serious incidents and unfortunately a fatality, the hype, scaremongering and disruption to travel far outweigh the actual event, I've been 10 miles from the south east coast all morning and out since 6am and it's been no worse then a typical blustery day with a strong gust every now and again. By all means give warnings and take precautions but you'd swear we had a cat 5 hurricane from the build up all week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mesut Ozil

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Whilst I wouldn't recommend for anyone to read the Daily Mail - there is a good selection of storm damage images here.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2478056/UK-storm-SHUTDOWN-Homes-power-trains-suspended-flights-cancelled-St-Judes-Storm-lashes-Britain.html

Why not? It's a completely unbiased and impartial newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mesut Ozil wrote: »
    Why not? It's a completely unbiased and impartial newspaper.

The pics are excellent today,some serious damage done,Ireland dodged a bullet this weekend.

2 people missing after a tree fell on a house rupturing the gas main causing an explosion.

article-2478056-1908785A00000578-73_964x640.jpg
    article-2478164-1908833500000578-7_964x441.jpg
    article-2478056-1908443500000578-405_964x716.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

SnowDrifts wrote: »

A lot of photos in today's British media is old stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

More discussion of the Sting jet by Dan holley on Twitter, https://mobile.twitter.com/danholley_/status/394784701254094848/photo/1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mesut Ozil

Old Street Roundabout at 6:45 a.m.

f2rnyw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭waterways

The storm has reached Sylt with a 147 km/h gust.

cgicurrentgraph?CEL=C&SI=kph&ART=karte&INT=06&LANG=en&JJ=2013&MM=10&TT=28&TIME=1330&TYP=windspitzen&KEY=FA&LAND=FA&CONT=euro&TIME=1382967425

Perhaps a good day for skipper training in rough conditions or?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

The brother living in London said he spotted about 10 trees down this morn on his way to work, few big ones.
    Said it was very windy but not stormy at 6 o clock

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

lolie wrote: »
    The brother living in London said he spotted about 10 trees down this morn on his way to work, few big ones.
    Said it was very windy but not stormy at 6 o clock

Those big tree growing out of footpaths are lethal ,and seem to be let grow with out trimming, plus the root system looked very weak and partly rotted, as was case with all the big tree I've seen in these pictures. These trees are just looking for an excuse to fall.
    They have no ground to expand the root, so you end up with huge tree with no big root system to made it stable

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Is there any update on a possible storm for us next weekend, if its on would somone with greater knowledge on weather than me start a new thread

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Is there any update on a possible storm for us next weekend, if its on would somone with greater knowledge on weather than me start a new thread

already started :P

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057070632

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

Those big tree growing out of footpaths are lethal ,and seem to be let grow with out trimming, plus the root system looked very weak and partly rotted, as was case with all the big tree I've seen in these pictures. These trees are just looking for an excuse to fall.
    They have no ground to expand the root, so you end up with huge tree with no big root system to made it stable

True and as trees down there still have most their leaves on them still it doesnt take much of a storm to knock them

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

looks like Denmark are going to get it bad

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Those big tree growing out of footpaths are lethal ,. These trees are just looking for an excuse to fall.

Indeed borntobwilde, most of the trees down near where I live were due to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

always amazed that councils, with their elf and safety talk, haven't removed a lot of the old trees on paths and beside roads.
    after every storm there's always a minimum of 1 death related to rotten trees falling.

tough on families who have lost family members due to the storm last night.

Advertisement