Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westwood hotel, any good?

Options
  • 21-10-2013 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Myself and the wife are thinking about going here for a weekend away, I know it's a little bit outside the city so we would need a taxi in and out. I'm just wondering what's its like and is it value for money, cheers guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Far Q Boss

Hey,

Not sure about the rooms, but the hotel itself is nice so I'm sure the rooms are nice too. You'll need to go into town though if you're looking for a bit of craic. They hold weddings there most weekends but the hotel bar itself is never really busy. Taxi to town is about €8.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

I've been to a few weddings in it. Food has always been good and staff friendly. Never stayed there so can't comment on rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Been to functions and it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭wotausername

nice hotel and nice staff. also bus outside hotel to eyre square every 40 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

Had our wedding reception there, it's an extremely well run hotel from top to bottom. I thought the rooms were lovely but we had the wedding suite so maybe i'm a bit bias ;)

Taxi in to town about €8-9, you'll end up giving them a tenner and it might be nice to get away from the bussle for your nights kip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's just across from the Dangan sports grounds if you fancy a run in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Had food in the bar there a few Friday evenings recently on the way home when I feel too lazy to bother cooking.
    Simple tasty food & nice service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Yeah it's a nice relaxing hotel. Food is usually good. Handy side of the city to go out and see Glenlo, Lough/River Corrib, Oughterard, Connemara etc.
    Lovely walk along the river across the road in Dangan behind sports centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 June Bird

I think that it is a lovely hotel I've been to a few weddings in it but if your only in Galway for the weekend it might be better to stay in one of the hotels in the city as the price of taxis all add up! But if its your preference to be out of the city centre then a good choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there. If I recall correctly, the room service was amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭th hen

cheers guys, booked it today as a good deal on pigsback for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 underfed

Enjoy, is a good hotel allround although I am not too keen on the public bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

I've been to a few weddings in it. Food has always been good and staff friendly. Never stayed there so can't comment on rooms.

This.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

stayed there a few times, rooms were grand, not too expensive. Brekkie was great and very friendly.

very big bar which is nice also!

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

My favourite hotel at the moment is The Salthill Hotel, it's in a great spot along the Promenade and very handy for town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

My husband and I stayed there a couple of years ago when we were in Galway for the Christmas markets. The hotel itself is lovely, the rooms are very good and comfortable. The breakfast was fantastic. There is a nice busy bar which serves really good food. I had fish, chips and mushy peas and you would go a long way to find as good.

We had one issue though, our room was over the function room and they had a function both nights which was VERY loud. I normally would be a heavy sleeper, but there was no way we could sleep through that. On our second night, some joker repeatedly set off the fire alarm, so you can imagine the quality of sleep we had that night! I have to say that the receptionist who checked us out the next day was excellent, she comped us the second night and gave us a €40 voucher towards a future stay (this was after us paying a bargain bucket price through the Supervalue Getaways.

So overall, I would stay here again, the rooms and food are top notch for the price paid, but I would definitely recommend requesting a room away from the function room. It is about 5 mins drive out of the city, but this wasn’t an issue for us as my husband isn’t a drinker. I think the bus stop is very close, so you could save money on a taxi one way at least!

Advertisement