Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builders Holiday question

Options
  • 21-10-2013 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

Hi, hope someone can help here.

This coming Friday is a builders holiday. I work with a subcontractor who is working for a major, well-respected main contractor. We have been working on a major site for the last 18 months unbroken but we're due to finish on Friday week, a week after the builders holiday.

Today we were informed by a rep of the main contractor that we'll be working this Friday and that the builders holiday will be transferred to Christmas (for main contractor employees).

In all probability, our employer will be leaving us go as he doesn't have another job to put us on. So, where does that leave us with the builders holiday?

I have to stress, our employer has been excellent to date and I have no reason to suspect he won't do the right thing but it would be an ease to know what I should or should not be expecting when I get what might be my last pay cheque for the foreseeable future.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The norm would be that any unused holidays at the end of your contract will be included in your last paycheck, you could check with the contractor you work for.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Builder's holiday is just another name for "compulsory annual leave day for everyone" right? So that means there is one more day of annual leave that you're owed, since you won't be using it on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Birdsong

For your information, here is the 2013/2014 CIF / Builders holiday http://cif.ie/assets/files/Annual%20Leave%20Public%20Holidays%202013-2014.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Thanks all, seems it's not a builders holiday after all. Apologies and thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I can only assume they are going to try to let some people go this week, so that they don't have to pay them for the bank holiday next week. If let go, holidays should be calculated by the formula.

• Advertisement
Advertisement