Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constructon project.

• 21-10-2013 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

For my project this year i am making a scaled model of a house. It is goin to consist of the foundation right up to the roof. Has anyone done anything similar to this and would be able help with the folder??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Yap did a scale model for my LC ages ago. Is it a modern house or something like a cottage?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jimbob1255

Modern house but any help that could be given would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

I use 8 chapters in total, this is the general procedure for a model of a cottage/house.

1. Intro-page about yourself and that you love construction....
    3 Pages on the house itself, maybe in your case find local houses that you like and do pros and cons or each

2.Planning- had one page with a table/timeline showing how long i spent doing each aspect of the project

3. Research and Investigation-It would be handy for you to model and existing house (or maybe that's what you're doing) Take a site visit, take lots of pics, dimensions (plan, elevation etc) Any parts of the house you find interesting or odd? Few sketches of such.If you do DCG use solidworks to do a plan etc, if not draw them, then a cutting list (14 pages in chapter)

4. Elements of the real house- Foundation types, soil type in area, external walls, roof, sketches/ diagrams of different roof types. windows and doors,(here i put in a sample u value and heat loss)(10 pages)

5. making of model- detail description of how you made your model (sketches, photos)(10 pages)

6. Evaluation- use of time, what took longer than expected, function,what could have been better,appearance (3 pages)

7.skills learned- skills, knowledge, yourself, problems/difficulties, own evaluation(NB)

8- Experiments- 3 experiments based on the course, they don't have to be related to your project as such, but ideally they should be. Your teacher will guide you on this.

About 60-70 pages with dividers. These are the guidelines I give to my students, done correctly and with a proper model, it has the potential for an A1. Best of luck

Thank you very much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 steven_b16

im doing one now of an old building. im making the walls and roof out of card, any tips or tricks ? how far are you now ?

• Advertisement

im still drawing it on solidworks and will be startin makin after mid term... i have been usin these as a guidance so far http://sburke.eu/photoalbum/v/Construction_Wood_Metal_Projects/UL_Coursework_Leaving_Cert_Projects/ hope something here helps

• Registered Users Posts: 5 steven_b16

sound for the link, theres 3 or 4 in the class doing models of houses so some new ideas are good

Advertisement