Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City Centre - Weird Noise

• 21-10-2013 7:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭

Every night a little after midnight I can hear a noise that sounds almost like a digeridoo. Anyone know what it is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

That's a Polynesian Wasp's mating call. It's in the key of C, according to a young chap I was talking to down Poor Man's Kilkee the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

When I lived in Limerick many years ago I used to hear a very weird noise every day too. After some investigation in turned out to be the local scobes conversing in their mother tongue!! Weird eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fando

frag420 wrote: »
    When I lived in Limerick many years ago I used to hear a very weird noise every day too. After some investigation in turned out to be the local scobes conversing in their mother tongue!! Weird eh?

Yeah. They can produce interesting sounds. I sometimes feel like in the jungle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

fando wrote: »
    Yeah. They can produce interesting sounds. I sometimes feel like in the jungle.

If you live in the north side it might be the whistling bridge , but I thought that was fixed years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Taco Chips

God some of the threads on this forum can be so inane and pointlessly nosey sometimes. Between this one and the one the other day wondering what the odd lights in the sky were (airplanes landing in Shannon). Why so hung up about so a miniscule thing that you would come online and post about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Taco Chips wrote: »
    God some of the threads on this forum can be so inane and pointlessly nosey sometimes. Between this one and the one the other day wondering what the odd lights in the sky were (airplanes landing in Shannon). Why so hung up about so a miniscule thing that you would come online and post about it.

6861665259_55b341be24_z.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

6861665259_55b341be24_z.jpeg

I only thanked your post so that id get the other posters attention and let him know they're called taco 'fries',,. okay, FRIES, NOT CHIPS, NOT POTATO STICKS, BUT FRIES AND FRIES ONLY... CAPICHE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Buckeye

That's a Polynesian Wasp's mating call. It's in the key of C, according to a young chap I was talking to down Poor Man's Kilkee the other day.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRriTs2cOh7SmIqaO1PXerbsp5WuR8IfZXGSgFgyWF11lKcwR04

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

tacofries wrote: »
    I only thanked your post so that id get the other posters attention and let him know they're called taco 'fries',,. okay, FRIES, NOT CHIPS, NOT POTATO STICKS, BUT FRIES AND FRIES ONLY... CAPICHE?

Non se capisce piu un cazzo qui!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Could it be The Hum? It was down in Kerry driving people nuts a while back, perhaps it's come up to Limerick to see what the craic is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Not to get technical Marcus, but I believe it's the key of E. Having said that, be careful with those, they are absolutely DEADLY...at hiding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Could it be The Hum? It was down in Kerry driving people nuts a while back, perhaps it's come up to Limerick to see what the craic is.

The Southampton and Blackpool Hums are now being put down to this fella or at least a close relative.

The humming noise in the fish part of the video is what they sound like when grouped together enmasse .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7511531.stm

They can tolerate brackish water to a degree so would be capable of coming up the shannon estuary probably as far as other saltwater species have. Tope have been caught in the shannon surprisingly close to Limerick city, so stands to reason other species could come within a few miles as well.

The hum in Southampton and in Blackpool could be heard between 5 and 8 miles from water on still nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Marcus Halberstram

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    Not to get technical Marcus, but I believe it's the key of E. Having said that, be careful with those, they are absolutely DEADLY...at hiding

I also heard that one specimen escaped from his owner not so long ago. Last seen around a chemist in the city, Ferguson's I think.

Advertisement