Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coconut flour - anyone know where to get?

Options
  • 21-10-2013 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

I am in Dublin and i can travel to pick it up. I've had a quick look in a small tescos and aldi to no avail.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Holland & Barrett. It's pricey though

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tiana-Organic-Fairtrade-Coconut-Flour/dp/B0054SQ5UW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382383258&sr=8-1&keywords=coconut+flour

i got this stuff from a health food shop in carlow. it was actually a little cheaper in the b&m store surprisingly so have a look in any health food stores local to you. failing that, amazon is an option for pretty much everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I got some in Holland & Barratt in Stephen's Green. It was something crazy like €7 for 500g. It was also the mankiest stuff ever, I'll never buy it again!

thanks for the replies. what did you use it with that it tasted manky?

• Advertisement

It's strong stuff, I make coconut muffins with loads of cinnamon and some raisins to kill the taste, but it's good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I made coconut pancakes. They were fed to the bin.

You might like to try the asian market coconut flour so, it's cheaper and a different consistency completely. I don't know what it's used for, couldn't make buns with it. Maybe if you stick it in a blender you could
    No taste off it like the H&B stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

rubadub wrote: »
    Asian shops tend to have the full fat flour, which is more like a very finely dessicated coconut for curry dishes. The health food shops tend to have the fat reduced flour which is intended to be a replacement for wheat flour.
    Dessicated coconut is the cheap alternative, it can be stuck in a blender to get more of a flour.

But I am not sure what you are after, as I said earlier there is full fat & reduced fat, the reduced one being a wheat flour substitute

The linked H&B one is only 15.1% fat and 21.7% carbs.

Dessicated coconut
    http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=253227765
    is 62% fat and 6.4% carbs. Very different makeup. My "east end" brand coconut flour would be similar to the dessicated values. Your halal shop would be the same too.

Thanks a million. Its for keeping a good eating clean diet thats not too high in carbs, fat i dont care about as long as its not trans unhealthy fats. The type of fat found in this product would be ok i feel. Coconut is a wonderful superfood :-)
    I didn't know about the dessicated. I might go with that. Obviously i knew of the product but i didnt know lob into a blender to make more like flour. Excellent

• Advertisement

Obviously i knew of the product but i didnt know lob into a blender to make more like flour. Excellent
    It won't be as fine a flour as the proper stuff.

I have made pancakes with it mixed with oats, I like the bit of bite in the dessicated stuff.

The dessicated would not be a substitute for wheat flour in recipies.

thanks for the info. appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

You can get this cheaply:

http://tracker.dailyburn.com/nutrition/east_end_coconut_flour_calories

In the Blackrock market ethic foods store.

Works perfectly, for Kormas/Masala's etc

daRobot wrote: »
    In the Blackrock market ethic foods store.
    I actually asked that shop to get the coconut flour in, they didn't have it any time I was in. Though it is in the market it is open non market hours. East end are a decent brand too, thats the full fat stuff, not a wheat flour substitute.

Old post about it
    They used to have another shop in the same market and moved, I think everybody presumes it would only be open when the other market stalls are but its a proper shop. I was very surprised it was open until 8pm each night. I had to ring the market owner to ask if they were opening as there was no info on the web. I had to walk through the arch in pitch black to get to it, though you can come in from the other side.

Seems to be an Indian father & son running it, friendly guys who are genuinely interesting in what you want. I told them they should advertise more and that I would post it on a website, I have no connection, just do not want to see them close! and its a shame that such a good shop is unknown.

They are up the back of the market, where the green arrow is pointing here
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=53.300859,-6.178485&hl=en&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=0&z=19

There is a Filipino shop in dun laoghaire too "Pinoy sari sari store", opposite walters near the peoples park
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=53.289563,-6.13002&hl=en&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=0&z=19

Advertisement