Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is timing belt checked in the nct

Options
  • 21-10-2013 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Just wondering i bought a peugot 407 1.6hdi off a dealer today,and payed 250eur deposit.I have to wait for the car to be serviced and put through the nct.
    he mentioned he would put it through the nct and if it needed a timing belt he would put one on,but when he was writing the receipt he wrote on it that it would be serviced and nct'd but he never wrote anything about the timing belt..can this even be checked in the nct? if i ask him will he put a timing belt on it he doesnt have to do it now does he? I cant ask for my money back?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

The nct wouldn't check the timming belt and there is not real way of checking by looking at it unless the belt is really bad on and crack but just because it looks ok wouldn't mean it's not due to be changed. So really the only way it's worked out is on mileage what kms mare on the 407 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭micko4

Bpmull wrote: »
    The nct wouldn't check the timming belt and there is not real way of checking by looking at it unless the belt is really bad on and crack but just because it looks ok wouldn't mean it's not due to be changed. So really the only way it's worked out is on mileage what kms mare on the 407 ?

174,995 km i should of got him to write it on the receipt

micko4 wrote: »
    174,995 km i should of got him to write it on the receipt

Tbh it would be due at this well I'm not sure if the interval is 160k km or 200k km on them put I suspect its 160k km so if that's the case you would really want to insist on it being done. I'm sure someone will come along with the exact interval if not just ring a Peugeot dealer or Peugeot Ireland direct and they will be happy to tell you the exact interval.

Tbh it would be due at this well I'm not sure if the interval is 160k km or 200k km on them put I suspect its 160k km so if that's the case you would really want to insist on it being done. I'm sure someone will come along with the exact interval if not just ring a Peugeot dealer or Peugeot Ireland direct and they will be happy to tell you the exact interval.

cheers,the thing im worried about it him saying no sorry mate it was done 10,000 miles ago and no way of me knowing if he's lying or not,and if i say i dont want it without a receipt then he'll say hes keeping my deposit..

my thoughts on this would be to tell him that the car im trading in is ****ed it cuts out when the engine is warm(he never even took it for a spin)I'm sure he would give my deposit back then?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Don't know what Peugeot do, but have had Citroens and Volvos with that 1.6 engine and both manufacturers said 240,000 km change intervals.

• Advertisement

I know what you mean was there any service history with it if so was it written in the book or was tb change written anywhere in the engine bay (not that that would prove for sure it was done) looking on line it says 200k km and I know in the focus which has that hdi engine ford recommend 200k km but I wouldn't leave it that long.

Don't know what Peugeot do, but have had Citroens and Volvos with that 1.6 engine and both manufacturers said 240,000 km change intervals.

Was that not dropped to 200k km recently though after some were snapping.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Was that not dropped to 200k km recently though after some were snapping.

Couldn't tell ya, the Volvo was a 06, the C5 is 08, not at 200k yet and nothing was mentioned when it was in with a Citroen garage for service last month.

Couldn't tell ya, the Volvo was a 06, the C5 is 08, not at 200k yet and nothing was mentioned when it was in with a Citroen garage for service last month.

I know ford definitely dropped it to 200k km but maybe volvo Citroen didn't.

So do you think if the dealer refuses i could get my money back? or if not and i tell him about the problems on the car im trading in hel give me my money back?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

To be fair, you're trading in a car that's not 100% in good nick and you are not notifying the dealer of this, so why should he change the timing belt for you?

So do you think if the dealer refuses i could get my money back? or if not and i tell him about the problems on the car im trading in hel give me my money back?

I wouldn't think he'd let the deal fall through over a timming belt tbh. Ring him and just tell him you need the timming belt done if he can't prove it hasn't been already done.

well its buyer beware hes selling from a garage with gaurantee..i told him to check my car and tell me what price he would give me for it..i never told him the car was in perfect nick but he told me the car i would be buying would be.

I wouldn't think he'd let the deal fall through over a timming belt tbh. Ring him and just tell him you need the timming belt done if he can't prove it hasn't been already done.

he might though because its not a lot of money the cars worth 3700 in around that im giving my car plus 550 cash so he might be thinking its not worth his while?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

Best person to ask is the man you're doing the deal with:)

he might though because its not a lot of money the cars worth 3700 in around that im giving my car plus 550 cash so he might be thinking its not worth his while?

But if you like the car and it's mechanically good otherwise could you could always consider just getting the belt done yourself it would cost around 350 euro.

yeah il be ringing tomorrow anyway place be closed now..i cant afford 350 euro im literally down to my last pennys id rather trade my car for something that doesnt need work done ya know

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Eugene Yes

But if you like the car and it's mechanically good otherwise could you could always consider just getting the belt done yourself it would cost around 350 euro.

Good idea. That or try a compromise. Offer to cover cost of parts if dealer covers labour costs to fit them. Worth having peace of mind and getting it done.

yeah il be ringing tomorrow anyway place be closed now..i cant afford 350 euro im literally down to my last pennys id rather trade my car for something that doesnt need work done ya know

Is there a warranty with the car ?

yeah its not a bad idea..only thing is he told me if it needed it he would put it on but never wrote it on the receipt with tho other stuff ya know..

• Advertisement

Is there a warranty with the car ?

yea 3 months

yeah its not a bad idea..only thing is he told me if it needed it he would put it on but never wrote it on the receipt with tho other stuff ya know..

Best thing you can do is ring him and talk to him and tbh if he was trying to get out of doing one the last thing he would do is mention the timing belt to you when you were looking at the car. So maybe he will have no problem doing it.

Best thing you can do is ring him and talk to him and tbh if he was trying to get out of doing one the last thing he would do is mention the timing belt to you when you were looking at the car. So maybe he will have no problem doing it.

Yea well i hope so but you know these dealers..i just know hes going to say oh that was done 20,000 ago but have no receipts :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭damon5

Quote from the NCT website....

5,The engine is in a fit state to be tested e.g. Cam belt/timing belt. You may be asked to sign a disclaimer at the test cent........

So am i right in thinking basicly that means cam belt/timing belt snaps,breaks and engine capput :eek:

think its a big deal if it breaks alright could be into serious money..sure theres no way of them knowing in the test center anyone could just sign it ya know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

i cant afford 350 euro im literally down to my last pennys id rather trade my car for something that doesnt need work done ya know

Don't trade your car for a 407 in that case :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,220 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd be more concerned about the condition of the DPF and turbo on that engine at that mileage than the cam belt to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

I didn't think the timing belt was that expensive...just when it breaks it's expensive to fix. I'm sure I got my 206 done a couple of years ago and it wasn't 350 euro. One thing I'd recommend is painting the mileage when the timing belt was done on the casing above it. When I bought the 206 I knew it was done at 86K miles due to the previous owner doing this and then got it done after another 50K before I sold it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Whether the dealer does it or you do it, make sure that it is done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

When I bought the 206 I knew it was done at 86K miles due to the previous owner doing this and then got it done after another 50K before I sold it on.

No you didn't. What you knew is that the previous owner had a bottle of tip ex, it's not proof of the TB being done.

Advertisement