Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Heating in an old building

Options
  • 21-10-2013 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I viewed a nice 2 bed apartment that was built in the 70's. Its lovely and spacious. My main concern is the heating and insulation. The agent told me the walls are dry lined, but there are two instant electric heaters in the bedrooms and storage heaters in the hall/living room (electric)-it is a first floor apartment close to canal. Wondering would it be a bad idea to purchase such a old apart that may not be insulated v well with electric heating? Any guidance would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

so you are thinking of buying and not renting right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 elle19

Idbatterim wrote: »
    so you are thinking of buying and not renting right?

Yes considering buying:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The way I see it, there are multiple advantages to electric i.e no getting boiler serviced, carbon monoxide worries, possibly having to replace boiler if old and powerflush the system, bleed the rads etc. electric is far more flexible in that if you only want to heat one room you can do so, they are instant, all of the electricity is converted to heat AFAIK and you can also put them all on individual timers, from what I hear storage heaters are useless, but you can replace them with a wall mounted panel heater, which are cheap... Also if you have a nightsaver meter, you can benefit from that...

see list of advantages below...

http://www.glendimplexireland.com/corporate_information/benefits-of-electric-heating.htm

are the dividing walls concrete? have you lived in an apartment before?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,792 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

How much external surface does the apartment have? If it has just one side exposed, it is going to be much easier to heat than if there are three or four sides exposed.

Advertisement