Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Age for a traineeship? Too old!?

• 21-10-2013 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Hi all,

I really want to complete a traineeship as a solicitor. It is now 5 years since I have completed the FE1s and I am 31. My question is am I too old to get into one of the larger firms? I have during this time since the FE1s completed some legal related diplomas (did my LLB and LLM 8 years ago) and worked in areas linked to law and regulation but not in a solicitors.
    My expertise lies in financial services an my question is do the top 10 consider someone of my age or do they have a preference for graduates!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Percyxoxo wrote: »
    Hi all,

I really want to complete a traineeship as a solicitor. It is now 5 years since I have completed the FE1s and I am 31. My question is am I too old to get into one of the larger firms? I have during this time since the FE1s completed some legal related diplomas (did my LLB and LLM 8 years ago) and worked in areas linked to law and regulation but not in a solicitors.
    My expertise lies in financial services an my question is do the top 10 consider someone of my age or do they have a preference for graduates!
    Thanks

I really hope that there are some users who were taken on as trainees in their thirties. Internships are almost the exclusive domain of young twentysomethings, I hear..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭McCrack

There's a five year rule (at least there was) from completing the fe1 and signing indentures so I'd check that first. You may or soon may be out of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I really hope that there are some users who were taken on as trainees in their thirties. Internships are almost the exclusive domain of young twentysomethings, I hear..

I don't think it will be too much of an issue. I know a couple of people who have secured them in their late twenties, people who will be securing them in there late twenties/early thirties (they already have in principle acceptance). I did my first internship in my early-thirties.

I think your biggest issue is the five year limit on FE-1s which I'm almost certain is still in force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Percyxoxo wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks

Being perfectly frank - if you won't consider searching for a traineeship in anything but one of the 'big' 10 firms - then no matter what your age you are going to find it extremely difficult to get a traineeship.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Percyxoxo

McCrack wrote: »
    There's a five year rule (at least there was) from completing the fe1 and signing indentures so I'd check that first. You may or soon may be out of time.

Yes I managed to appeal this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Percyxoxo

Being perfectly frank - if you won't consider searching for a traineeship in anything but one of the 'big' 10 firms - then no matter what your age you are going to find it extremely difficult to get a traineeship.

Obviously if I am applying to a minute percentage of firms it will be harder.. my question is around age of trainees in the top 10 firms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

Well from my own personal experience - I've been led to believe that the average age of trainees in Arthur Cox (in recent years at least) has tended to be higher than other comparable large firms.

Thats not to suggest that the other firms have any reluctance to select older applicants.

I expect there is no real weight given to the applicant's age.

The only relevant factor I can think of that may explain a younger overall average age is that a younger applicant may appear to be more focused on a particular career path, particularly if there is no sporadic/random career tangents, or significant delays between milestones in the career path itself.

Its also the case that the significant majority of applicants will be in the 23-27 age bracket anyway so it will always be the case that there are far more suitable applicants in that age range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Part of the attraction of younger trainees for firms is that they are more likely to accept what might be perceived as grunt work without complaining and can put in very long hours because they have no family commitments.

If the OP can assure the firm that his age wouldn't be a problem in this regard then that would help.

Another thing is that the larger firms place a very strong emphasis on firm culture and a sense of collegiality within the various stage groups eg first year trainees, second year trainees.

There might be a perception that an older candidate would have difficulty fitting in a social scene dominated by people in their young 20s.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Curiousme11

Hi

I am about to sit some interviews for training contracts in some of the top 10 law firms.

Does anyone know what kind of questions they usually ask? Do they ask many current affairs type questions?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

You do realise that amongst the most recent threads on this forums is the Law Firm Milkrounds/Apps 2013 thread. This would be the best place to ask.

• Advertisement
Advertisement