Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC blocking gaming???

• 21-10-2013 9:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi All

We recently upgraded to UPC 50MB broadband package and since we did, my brother is now unable to connect to xbox live or online gaming using his laptop. We are also having difficulty watching streamed videos such as football matches etc.

Have a good broadband connection, am able to download files without restriction so there is no issue with the broadband itself.

Anyone kno or heard of any issues/restrictions that UPC may have put on online gaming??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

No restrictions.

I'm going to take a guess here and say that the current problems are caused by the woeful wireless performance of UPC equipment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭Skybox

Hi Cuddlesworth

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it is to do with the wireless tho as I am able to download files quite quickly when connected wirelessly.

I think it could be something to do with the settings as my brother has taken both his laptop and xbox to a friends house who also has UPC broadband and has no issues with the gaming.

I am going to get him to compare the settings on his friends router to the settings on our router.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tenner says you're torrenting those films, and that your torrent client is seeding at maximum upload speed possible, clogging your connection to hell.

Thought that may be it and closed uTorrent to ensure nothing was seeding or downloading! U owe me a tenner!! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,464 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I just use wired these days.

UPC wireless router is a joke.

• Advertisement

The xbox is actually wired up directly to the router and it won't connect on xbox live. The brother is getting very frustrated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Has he set a static IP on the xbox and laptop? If he had and the subnet had changed, then it would cause the symptoms your describing(including the visit to the friends house where it worked).

Most routers are 192.168.1.0/24 but I was on a horizon box that was putting out a 192.168.11.0/24 subnet the other day. If it is, then he needs to fix the IP's on his devices or change the subnet on the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 gorehoundess

check that your firewall is set to low priority..worked for my young lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rinleezwins

Are the XBOX IP settings set to automatic or manual? If it's on auto, try configuring it manually. If it's on manual, try automatic. My guess is, it was manually configured before for another router, hence the problem.

Advertisement