Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard Deviation

• 21-10-2013 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭

A new log for a new training cycle. This will be my second year doing Tri, and I want to do about 10% better than last season. That means a standalone 10km run around 38:xx mins, 400m swim TT under 5:30, and 36kph average or greater for a 40km bike. Overall I'd like 550+ NS points (495 last season, but with a couple of soft Oly results).
    There are a lot of training mistakes I learned through last year, but I've a better idea now of training cycles, juggling three disciplines, tactics in races... there's a whole heap of stuff I can do better. But I also want to keep on enjoying the training and racing, both of which are very rewarding, and there a lot of friendly faces in this sport :)

Mon 21 Oct 2km swim lunchtime, 50 mins easy turbo pm
    I need to get in the pool at least 3 times a week- and that means year round, not just swimming hard over the winter only to slack off once the races come around. Steady swim this lunchtime, there's a lot of work to do in the pool, but it'll come back in good time. I'm really looking forward to the splashy stuff over the next few months...

Easy spinning on the turbo tonight, listening to the rain and wind crashing against the roof. Love having a good turbo!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Standard deviation was my most hated part of the maths syllabus at school. Bloody thing hasn't stopped haunting me after all this time, now this :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

Seen the log title and knew it had to be you :) (even a maths / stats pleb like me gets the reference). As usual will follow with interest.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Is Standard Deviation anything like a tracker mortgage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Tue 1:40 turbo easy/steady

My achilles is still hurting, but this spin seems to have done it the world of good. Its great blustery weather for a run this evening, but I'll leave it heel (hahaha) for another couple of days.
    Oryx wrote: »
    Is Standard Deviation anything like a tracker mortgage?

It's exactly the same thing.

Tue 2km swim, 1 hr Pilates

The pool felt good this lunchtime, very few there so a lane to myself. Straight into a steady km, it felt good going through the water. I focussed on breathing (specifically exhaling constantly underwater), catch-and-pull, and kick-offs (strong turn with 3 dolphin kicks for good distance). There's a million other things to focus on too, but for now these are the salad days, where a great return comes from a small correction. That's a measure of how far I've slipped by not visiting the pool regularly, but it's coming back.

This evening was my first ever visit to the hell that is Pilates. I have no core, a backbone that has fused together, and the flexibility of ice. Which is to say, tonight hurt, and I struggled. But the trainer seems to really know her stuff, and communicates well, and I'd say there's a large benefit in sticking with this class for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Do stick with the pilates. The benefits are only noticed when you miss a week. Core strength is triathlon's secret ammunition. I have attended pilates for the last two years and attribute the fact that I stay injury free to pilates. Once a week is not enough though.

Wed 1:40 turbo
    Nothing too exciting, just a long steady spin.
    I'm sore in places I never knew I had, after last nights Pilates. Never felt more flexible, though.

Are you worse today? That tends to be how it goes.

Are you worse today? That tends to be how it goes.

Definitely feeling it more today, feel like I've been punched in the gut :)

Fri 2,000m swim

450m steady pace (8:05)

5*100 off 2:00 (in 1:40-1:44)
    5*100 off 1:55 (in 1:42-1:48)
    5*100 off 1:55 (in 1:47-1:52)

Return of the swim sets, and a reminder of how not to do them. The plan was three sets, off 2:00, 1:55, 1:50, but I went too fast at first, so was too tired by the third set to go off 1:50. Not to worry, its a start, and there's bound to be tiredness and form to correct for next time.

• Advertisement

Wed Pilates

Jesus this really hurt. There's a move with holding your legs up, then hoisting a ball over the head, then the side, then the other side... by the fifth of these time really stood still. Screaming pain from my underdeveloped abs.

30 minutes of foam rolling after, a first for me, and an absolute lesson in pain/pleasure. My sore and tight achilles has disappeared, replaced with something flexible. This class is brill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Wed Pilates... This class is brill.

Yeah, love it. And there is nowhere to hide if you can't hold your form :)
    Feeling the benefit of it already, only a couple of classes in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

I saw this and thought you'd enjoy it :D

Fri 120 mins turbo

Easy spinning, the achilles has become tight again so no running, but this seemed to loosen it out a bit. I'm going to get a foam roller so I can concentrate on conditioning the muscles, hopefully that will stop these calf/achilles problems.

Sat 50 min turbo (moderate effort)

I can feel a cold or something coming on, little energy this evening. Easy enough work on the turbo, just had to do something.

Sun 10k hill run

Ran from Tinahely up to the trailhead, and around Mangan's loop. The surface was fantastic to run on, and some great views to boot. It's a magical spot.
    My achilles still hasn't healed, but feck that anyway. It needs to be tested avery once in a while. I tried to put my full weight and full extension on it going hard up a steep bank; let out a yelp of pain that sent all the sheep scarpering. Otherwise it wasn't too bad.

Would have given you a shout if I'd of known you were heading up. Was there not long before you. Fantastic November morning with grassy giving trails.

10654864163_589fdec7ae_b.jpg

Great photo Mick.

Hoping to run a charity race around here with the Tri Club, for Sunday 24th Movember, proceeds to Prostate Cancer Awareness, details soon.

Great photo Mick.

Hoping to run a charity race around here with the Tri Club, for Sunday 24th Movember, proceeds to Prostate Cancer Awareness, details soon.

Great. I had the thought this morning that one could organise a simple 3 race series on 3 different days (consecutive weekends perhaps) of Mangans, Ballycumber and Kyle. They are all waymarked so very little to do. Perhaps for the Spring.

Mon 53 mins turbo, hard effort

SF "A very dark place"

My achilles was very sore today, I was limping in pain the whole day. Hobbled up the stairs after dinner to my pain cave, and worked hard on the turbo. When I got off- pain gone, no limp. Very strange. I think I'll have to stay away from running for a week or more to let it repair, and then stay away from hilly runs for a while. Pity, coz they are a tonic for the soul.

• Advertisement

Movember Mountain Mob (Hill race Nov 24th Tinahely, Wicklow)
    To raise a bit of money and for awareness of Prostate Cancer, some of us localers will host a hill race around Mangan's Loop. It's a 5km route, with a lovely grassy surface for most of it, and fantastic views throughout. It'll be pretty informal, no goodybags, medals, or DJ's at the finish, but it will be marked, hand timed, and you'll get a decent race. For insurance reasons, you run at your own risk, and there's no entry fee. Donations will be taken, but they aren't mandatory, the main thing is to have a nice testing run.

When?
    Sunday 24th November, meet carpark 11am, race jog 2km to start, race starts 12 noon.

Where?
    Meet in the carpark by Tinahely Gaa club, race starts from a trailhead after a 2km jog up Mangan's Lane.

Route?
    5km, good runnable surface throughout, marked throughout, suitable for all abilities.

Cost?
    Free if you like, although as mentioned above, suggested donation €5 (every € goes to Cancer charities).

Sambo's after. Start growing that tasche! All welcome.

I might have a problem growing a tasche.

I might have a problem growing a tasche.

Smooth-upper-lippers welcome too.

Tue 3,000m swim

Steady straight 2k, then 1k of various drills.

There's a lad who sometimes swims when I'm there, he can fairly shift. He does 400m at 1:15/100m pace- he has a strong tumble turn, but not much kick (as far as I can make out). Otherwise, he's great to watch, just got a great stroke. Of course, talking to him, he's full of doubt, and largely self-taught. I'd like to be able to swim as fast as him.
    There, I said it.

Wed 40 mins turbo, 1 hr Pilates

Turbo was just a handy spin before dinner. The Pilates... its fast becoming the hardest hour in the week. There's a moment when you are sat on your bum, legs outstretched off the ground, body leaning back 45 degrees, holding a ball over your head, then moving it to the right, then the left... my useless stomach muscles are screaming from the pain, and there are still several seconds left to hold until we are done. It's definitely helping build the core though, I'm less shaky holding poses now than the last few weeks.

Thurs 2,200m swim

500m steady warm-up
    5*100m off 2:00 (in 1:45-1:52)
    50m EZ
    5*100 off 1:55 (in 1:42-1:50)
    50m EZ
    5*100 off 1:50 (in 1:43-1:48)
    100 EZ

Swimming is starting to move in the right direction, I'm getting a feel for the water again. In particular, I concentrated on exhaling constantly, and it seemed to help. Talking to good swimmers, they say their breathing isn't an issue, it's as natural as breathing while running. This is what I need to learn. But for the moment, things are good, the goal is to be ending this set 5*100 off 1:40, by the time swim lessons start up again in January.

Fri 2,500m swim

500m steady pace warm up
    4*(100m pull, 100 ripple, 100 shoulder, 50 kick)
    50 BS
    50 EZ

The joys of electronic discourse- an expected long journey for a face-to-face with a client was happily truncated to a phone call, so I managed to fit in a bonus swim before lunch. Lots of floating whales in the pool for some reason today, but I managed to get a lane to myself, and did some technique work. There's a lot forgotten since last year, but it will come back soon. The drills are good, you can do them fast and wrong, or slower and right, and there's very little speed difference between the two. I've noticed a useful effect from the Pilates, in that I now actually have a core with feeds into better swim form.

Fri pm 1:22 mins turbo

Sufferfest "Blender"
    Click the link for workout details, I'm too f***ed to type them- this is a new download, 100mins of all sorts. I got to 82 mins and was too wrecked for the final interval, so the full thing will be saved for a day where I've not done anything earlier. My thoughts on this, is that its HARD, and it seems very useful, like a long tough fartlek session. I could do without the wimpy college rock songs, but thats a minor thing, the main thing its a good long hard turbo session that will give plenty of payback over the winter.

W-r-e-c-k-e-d... now to puke my guts up...

Speaking of music- Nils Frahm releases an album next week, its got a fantastic version of this tune on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Fri pm 1:22 mins turbo

Sufferfest "Blender"
    Click the link for workout details, I'm too f***ed to type them- this is a new download, 100mins of all sorts. I got to 82 mins and was too wrecked for the final interval, so the full thing will be saved for a day where I've not done anything earlier. My thoughts on this, is that its HARD, and it seems very useful, like a long tough fartlek session. I could do without the wimpy college rock songs, but thats a minor thing, the main thing its a good long hard turbo session that will give plenty of payback over the winter.

W-r-e-c-k-e-d... now to puke my guts up...

I feel your pain!!! did this session a few weeks ago for the first time and it nearly killed me..good hard long session...looking forward to doing it again :D

• Advertisement

Trig1 wrote: »
    I feel your pain!!! did this session a few weeks ago for the first time and it nearly killed me..good hard long session...looking forward to doing it again :D

It's a killer all right! To be honest, its just what I was looking for in SF vids, a tough session thats long and keeps your interest. Next time I'll dig deeper and complete the damn thing!:D

Sun 10k EZ run

My achilles is still sore, so this run (Hillbrook loop) was kept at a very comfortable pace. A fantastic morning to be out, bright and cold and crisp and fresh. The sort of morning you just want to take off and put the foot down... but that will come soon enough, for the moment I've got to be content with limited, easy, running.
    I bought the "Grid" TriggerPoint roller (thanks for the recommendations), its certainly a useful recovery aid. Rolling and Pilates later.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement