Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard Deviation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Wed 1k swim

I have been stupendously busy the past while, between work and college, and its only going to get busier over the next couple of months. Tonight after watching the tiddlers do their thing in the pool, I hopped in for a quick bath. I'm knackered tired getting in, (have been getting up at 5am the past while for work), but fancied my chances setting a sprint marker. 100mTT in 1:16- thats a PB by a second, but I thought I'd be faster.

Sun 13k run
    Through the wet and bluebell be-blazoned woods; a joy to run.

I did very little training last week. I've lost a lot of weight recently, just from a hectic workload and a fair amount of training, so I decided to take a few days off. Still very busy with work and college, but I think stepping back from training was the right call.

Mon 60min turbo, 3k swim
    Easy turbo, the swim felt great to be back in the water after a few dry days.
    200m warmup, 7*400m (PB, swim, paddle, swim, PB, paddle, swim).
    The kids were in the pool after me. Its always great to watch them. Junior hit 17sec for a wall start 25m; good man. The two are booked in to 3D aquathlon next Sunday, which they are really looking forward to, should be good fun.

Tue 3.4k swim

2,000m (1km PB 1:52 pace, 1km swim 1:44 pace)
    1 min rest
    1,000m PB and paddles (1:47 pace)
    400m hypoxic and swim down

This is a tangible example of just how much slower I am with the pull bouy. The 2nd km was done straight after the first, and was much faster (for what seemed the same effort). The 3rd km should really be faster, what with great big paddles, but there you have it. Everything was done with tumbles, which are getting much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good work on the tumbles. I think the pb difference is simply testament to the improvements you have made to your stroke.

The pb just has diminishing returns the better you get like most tools. I'm slower with a pb too by a few secs per 100m. As a poor swimmer the pb corrects fundamental body position and reduces a big wide kick to a smaller more efficient kick (even though the pb should eliminate kicking you can only really do it with a band). These 2 aspects are big 'false' improvements to efficiency thus increasing speed.

If only serial pb users applied anything they learn to actual swimming!. I see a guy who uses the pb for his entire set everytime to hold certain RTs that are out of reach without. This 'cheating' to boost your ego gains nothing. You will remain slow unless you use the pb to learn how to improve efficiency instead of a swim aid.

Better swimmers would be slower as the kick is removed and they would generally get propulsion from their kick. Over longer distance the pb may be less significant as the aerobic saving from not kicking us offset by the fact that you don't kick much on longer reps anyway.

I think many would be better off leaving the pb on the deck and do kick sets instead. I've learned that everyone can kick hard but its an efficient balanced kick that wins every time over every distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I pretty much echo shotgun's sentiments....but a few quick thoughts...

- Cross your ankles when using the pull buoy and you should not need to use the band.
    - Never liked paddles and we did not use them in practice. I defer to interested (and your current coach), but my personal feeling is paddles can set you up for injury. They are not for beginners (you're not a beginner, but perhaps there are beginners who read your log) and should be used carefully, and only when you've got a properly developed stroke.
    - At your level, use all toys in reasonable measure and understand what you are trying to achieve when you use them as there is no substitute for real swimming. I, personally, use the pull bouy when I want to isolate and work my upper body (for me it's more about increasing strength and less about improving technique), or when I just need a little diversion or variety. Same with the kick board.
    - Well done on your tumbles. You've worked hard to join the ranks of the tumbling fish. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Dory Dory wrote: »
    but my personal feeling is paddles can set you up for injury.
    +1

Good advice as ever from the two of you, and thank you both for taking the time out from your monster swim-off to reply.;) My current coach is a big believer in paddles (and on upper body strength work in general), coming from a pure swimming (rather than a tri-swimming) background. I'm happy to use them sparingly. The ones I've been using most are FINIS agility paddles, and they are designed to improve your catch and pull, in that they won't operate properly if your stroke is wrong. I use the PT paddles too, they are very useful. The difference in catch when you swim after doing some PT drills is amazing.

Its horses for courses though, and if a swimmer is getting faster, and developing a better technique, through using (or not using) swim aids, then I'd imagine all is well. The pull bouy certainly still has its place in my kit- I'd like to try it with a centre snorkle too. I've no need for a band with the pull bouy as I don't kick at all with it- it's counter-productive, and I don't understand when I see other swimmers kicking with PB. Kick drills are great, and for the past few months any kick drills I've been doing have been without using a board (arms crossed in front). I understand the use of the kick as a streamline aid more so than propulsion, to the extent now my light flutter kick is a lot less effort than it has been in the past, but is much more effective.

Tue PM 4k easy run

500m fast/500m slow
    500m fast/500m slow
    400f/400s
    300f/300s
    200f/200s
    100sprint

Went to the forest and Junior wanted to come too, so we did the above at a pace that stressed him. Almost had to abort the session at half way, owing to 11-year old boy laughter. I told him this type of training was called fartlek...

Wed 70mins turbo

SF "Hell Hath No Fury", pretty intense effort. Does anyone sit through that 5-min "motivational" talk during the cool-down? Christ, its annoying, I lasted a minute and nearly smashed the Ipad.

Wed PM 2,000m swim

1,000m steady 1:46 pace
    500m PB 1:48 pace
    5*100m drills

Fartlek is a pretty funny word. :D;)

Because I was only marginally familiar with your FINIS agility paddle, I googled it and read several reviews (hopefully independent ones!) and it sounds like this paddle has some merit....certainly more merit than the old style ones I used to use, and it seems kinder to the shoulders through its design. Obviously, common sense with use/overuse needs to be employed to avoid any potential for injury, and I would suggest that newbies use the paddle under a coach's supervision.

Funny, thinking about swim practices and toys, we certainly used the kickboard way more than the pull buoy - perhaps that was because kickboards were more abundant at the pool, or perhaps that was because most of us targeted the shorter distances that required a stronger/faster kick. For the triathlete, it certainly is important to master the kick and understand beats per stroke, but from my perspective, working on upper body strength and stroke efficiency is where the money is all things considered - distance of swim and saving the legs for the bike.

Any way....you're really doing great. If there was a Most Improved Swimmer award on these logs, it would go to you. The gains you have made in 18 months are impressive. :)

Oh...here's one of the sites I found regarding these paddles. Such a coincidence the individual lives in Ireland....and you have to scroll down past the craft beer review (and a few other reviews) to get to the paddles. ;)

http://loneswimmer.com/category/reviews/

• Advertisement

Yes Dory, I had read that loneswimmer article before trying the agility paddles (and a lot more too!). I take your and fuzzy's opinion on paddles on board; in fact everywhere you read about them cautions against beginners (which I most certainly am!) using them, in case of shoulder injury. I enjoy my time in the water far too much to jepordise it with an injury at this stage. Having said that, I did buy a set of paddles last time I was in B2R- but they haven't left the packet yet.

Thurs 3,550m swim

Back with the Masters gang, whoo-bloody-whoooo! Its been two weeks, so I was itching. Having said that, there is the dread of a tough session that almost makes you turn back in your car. The drive to the pool is so long its a blessing really; once you commit to the 25k journey there's no turning back.

400m warmup
    10*50fly (15sec rest)
    3 sets of the following:
    {4*100PB off 1:45 (in 1:30) 15 sec rest
    3*75 (25 kick, 25 drill, 25 swim) 15 rest
    2*50m breath every 9 strokes
    1*25 max}
    400m swim down

Fly was, as usual, laughable, although it got the blood pumping. I led out the first one-and-a-half PB sets, and was more than happy to suck bubbles for the rest of them. Foot and calf were cramping for the kick. The max 25's all came in 17sec- slower than I would have thought. I think I wrote earlier that Junior had done 17 sec? Sorry Junior, I'm going to have to retime you.

Great session!

Fri 70 mins easy turbo, 5k easy fartlek

The run was with Junior (and Missy for most of it). He asked "Dad can we do Fartage" so how could I refuse. Then I opened the windows badumdumtahish.

A long hot summer load of Exams starts tomorrow. The Race season will be a breeze in comparison.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

All the best with the exams. May the brain be as good as the swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Oryx wrote: »
    All the best with the exams. May the brain be as good as the swimming.

+1

Solobally8 wrote: »
    +1

Agreed....

And love your kids (fartage....it's the fancy version ;))....and best of luck to the two of them this weekend. Any chance either one of them might write a race report? Just for fun? If not, definitely fill us all in on the pertinent points. :)

Thank you ladies. The exam today went swimmingly, as they say.

Sat 860m OW swim

It was hot and heavy today, and I stopped by the Harbour on my way home. Felt quite the fraud getting into my wetsuit, when I had to exchange pleasantries with hardier folf who had been just in skins. Brr, it was cold! My hands hurt for about 4 minutes, then I was very stop-start when swimming until the ice-cream headache dissapated. Once it did, though, happy days, it felt great to be in this playground again. I was fairly exhausted so didn't swim any more than one lap. My training Speedo suit is very tight around the shoulders, and is restrictive while swimming, I need to get with Abhainn out here again so he can zip up my proper ZeroD, company is always better in any case. Garmin under the cap seemed to work well.

Later the kids tried transition practice. I got them lock laces, we set up a trans box and timed a few run-throughs. Tomorrow will be great fun;)

Sun 3D Junior Aquathlon

This was really well organised by 3DTri- there was loads of eager kids, loads of pushy and proud parents, and the whole event was managed seamlessly. The amount of beaming smiles at the finish were a testament to 3D- putting on these sort of events are great for setting the sporting seed in youngsters.

Both my kids had decent swims, and average runs, so the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Missy went first- a very organised train of 5 swimmers who did the first 3 (of 10) lengths in draft formation, before the leader dropped back a place each couple of laps. I had told her to hold a good draft she could, and it was great to watch her work harder off the wall to keep on feet. She sprinted past the 4th guy on the final lap to exit with a good swim. Trans went quick, and she sprinted out the door... unfortunately this sprinting was her undoing as she struggled to breath during the 2k run. However, all pain was forgotten at the finish, and kids races are certainly the better for every kid getting a medal.

Junior started second in his lane, and the kid in front soon opened a gap (he exited in 2nd or 3rd overall, so was quite a shark). The two other kids behind him soon trailed off, and started doing breaststroke after a couple of laps. One of them exited the pool early, but the marshals seemed to be encouraging her to continue on for the run anyway, which she did. Great to see. Anyway, Junior had a solid swim, and exited relatively high (he's 11, but was in the 12-13 group because of TI age rules, so next year should be even higher). No real hassle with Trans, into the run, which was a steady plod around the 3k. Perhaps he might have pushed a little faster, but he was fairly wrecked at the end. Most importantly though, he couldn't help but beam from ear to ear when he saw me at the finish, despite trying to be cool and nonchalant.

Both of them really enjoyed the experience, took away some great memories, and will be back for more.

Mon 6.1k Fartlek run

2k @ 4:19 pace
    300m EZ
    1k @ 4:01 pace
    250m EZ
    650m @ 3:54 pace
    250m EZ
    500m @ 3:55 pace
    250m EZ
    330m @ 3:36 pace
    500m EZ

In the forest. I find it tough to run at these paces, got the sicky feeling towards the end of each of them, but I guess thats what its all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Sun

.......and kids races are certainly the better for every kid getting a medal.

:eek: You're getting soft in your old age!!

griffin100 wrote: »
    :eek: You're getting soft in your old age!!

It's the chunky adults who also feel they deserve medals for finishing 5k's, I have issue with! Nothing wrong with making a kid feel special for participating at this stage;)

• Advertisement

Mon PM 2,650m swim

1k easy 18:08 with tumbles
    500m 25sprint/25easy no rest
    500m easy stretch the stroke
    100 kick
    100 catch-up
    100 ripple
    100 touch shoulders
    50 swim
    3,2,1,0,0,0,0,1 hypoxic

Tumbles are getting more easy, they feel fluid and natural. Until a slow breststroker got in to share the lane, then I felt a bit congested in doing them. The secret is to whip the feet over as quick as possible.

Mon PM 2,650m swim

1k easy 18:08 with tumbles
    500m 25sprint/25easy no rest
    500m easy stretch the stroke
    100 kick
    100 catch-up
    100 ripple
    100 touch shoulders
    50 swim
    3,2,1,0,0,0,0,1 hypoxic

Tumbles are getting more easy, they feel fluid and natural. Until a slow breststroker got in to share the lane, then I felt a bit congested in doing them. The secret is to whip the feet over as quick as possible.

With a little bit of a butterfly kick. ;)

Those bright boys and girls from 3D Tri Club, have started up a Swim Ireland affiliated club, 3D Masters Swimming Club. It's open to anyone who is competent with OW swimming, not just 3D Tri members, so I joined 'em as quick as I could. This means the whole of the OW Swim Calendar is now open to me, in all of its frozen non-wetsuited glory. Lough Dan 5k (maybe 10k) and the Liffey Swim are bucket list races.

Anyone else from these parts who wants Swim Ireland membership, could do worse than join this 3D Masters club too (€49 for non-3D Tri members), there will be lots of OW training around the Dublin area.

Sun 3D Junior Aquathlon

This was really well organised by 3DTri- there was loads of eager kids, loads of pushy and proud parents, and the whole event was managed seamlessly. The amount of beaming smiles at the finish were a testament to 3D- putting on these sort of events are great for setting the sporting seed in youngsters.

Both my kids had decent swims, and average runs, so the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Missy went first- a very organised train of 5 swimmers who did the first 3 (of 10) lengths in draft formation, before the leader dropped back a place each couple of laps. I had told her to hold a good draft she could, and it was great to watch her work harder off the wall to keep on feet. She sprinted past the 4th guy on the final lap to exit with a good swim. Trans went quick, and she sprinted out the door... unfortunately this sprinting was her undoing as she struggled to breath during the 2k run. However, all pain was forgotten at the finish, and kids races are certainly the better for every kid getting a medal.

Junior started second in his lane, and the kid in front soon opened a gap (he exited in 2nd or 3rd overall, so was quite a shark). The two other kids behind him soon trailed off, and started doing breaststroke after a couple of laps. One of them exited the pool early, but the marshals seemed to be encouraging her to continue on for the run anyway, which she did. Great to see. Anyway, Junior had a solid swim, and exited relatively high (he's 11, but was in the 12-13 group because of TI age rules, so next year should be even higher). No real hassle with Trans, into the run, which was a steady plod around the 3k. Perhaps he might have pushed a little faster, but he was fairly wrecked at the end. Most importantly though, he couldn't help but beam from ear to ear when he saw me at the finish, despite trying to be cool and nonchalant.

Both of them really enjoyed the experience, took away some great memories, and will be back for more.

Im shocked
    I can't believe you didnt mention Missy shouting at the start 'Im gonna swim as fast as Dory'

interested wrote: »
    Im shocked
    I can't believe you didnt mention Missy shouting at the start 'Im gonna swim as fast as Dory'

We went through this the night before, as part of her focus. "Be the swimmer, become the swim".

Tue 1:45 easy turbo; 6k steady run

Extended lunch hour on the turbo, watching episodes 4 and 5 of Fargo.

6k in the forest, the first half of which was spent chatting to SloggerJogger who I haven't seen in a while, the rest trying to catch up with Junior who was doing a 4k out and back. I never caught him, must have gave him too much of a headstart:D

Wed 1.5k swim

Lengths without rhyme, reason,
    unless perfect tumbles are reason,
    as the Void clock ticks.

Followed up by very enjoyable tumble practice with the two tiddlers, before their lesson.

Followed by (Union Eyebrows Raise in Unison) an Emergency Coaching Session. My kids (and mine) regular coach had to attend to a family emergency, so I was asked by the other coach Gavin, would I coach his underlings, and he would coach mine? If I ever thought the pool clock dragged slow in a tough session, having 20 eager eyes looking for direction sure made for a slow opening 10 minutes. However, we soon got into the swing of things, and I (hopefully) managed to balance work and fun, praise and expectation, in a decent ratio. I have a new understanding of how difficult it is to work with varying abilities in the same lanes- you need to keep the speedsters occupied when they finish the set too fast, as well as encourage the slow swimmers who are "holding everyone up". I hopefully managed to impart a few pointers that I have learnt over the past few years (thumb to thigh on exit drill; also straightened a few bobbing heads). Races are important at this age, and wacky races even better. So before the hour was up we had a couple of Noodlethons...

10 kids.
    5 girls.
    5 boys.
    25 meters.
    2 lanes.
    One noodle.
    Five hands on noodle at all time. Go! :D

Wed 1.5k swim

Lengths without rhyme, reason,
    unless perfect tumbles are reason,
    as the Void clock ticks.

Followed up by very enjoyable tumble practice with the two tiddlers, before their lesson.

Followed by (Union Eyebrows Raise in Unison) an Emergency Coaching Session. My kids (and mine) regular coach had to attend to a family emergency, so I was asked by the other coach Gavin, would I coach his underlings, and he would coach mine? If I ever thought the pool clock dragged slow in a tough session, having 20 eager eyes looking for direction sure made for a slow opening 10 minutes. However, we soon got into the swing of things, and I (hopefully) managed to balance work and fun, praise and expectation, in a decent ratio. I have a new understanding of how difficult it is to work with varying abilities in the same lanes- you need to keep the speedsters occupied when they finish the set too fast, as well as encourage the slow swimmers who are "holding everyone up". I hopefully managed to impart a few pointers that I have learnt over the past few years (thumb to thigh on exit drill; also straightened a few bobbing heads). Races are important at this age, and wacky races even better. So before the hour was up we had a couple of Noodlethons...

10 kids.
    5 girls.
    5 boys.
    25 meters.
    2 lanes.
    One noodle.
    Five hands on noodle at all time. Go! :D

brilliant ... the 'coaching
    'noodle's is a woggle
    unless ... in truth Paul you remind me alot of a noodle (Ive just said what we're all thinking)

interested wrote: »
    brilliant ... the 'coaching
    'noodle's is a woggle

We were using left-handed versions last night- it's the right-handed that are woggles. You should brush up on your Level 3 Swim Coach Cert terminology.

• Advertisement

Thurs 90 mins turbo; 2,000m swim

Easy spinning on the turbo.

Masters session:
    200 warm up
    500 (25 fly kick, 25 swim)
    1 min plank
    200 under 3:10
    1 min side plank left, 1 min right
    200 under 3:00
    1 min arm plank left, 1 min right
    200 under 2:50
    2 min plank
    200 "fast"
    500 (25 kick, 25 swim)

The fly kicks were new to me, and I will feel them tomorrow. The minute plank was doable, so my core is getting stronger than the soft mass of weak jelly it was. I led out the first 200, went off too fast, so slowed a little to come in about 3 mins. I sucked bubbles for the second 200, which felt like cheating, which it was. The side planks were not held for full time, but I did what I could. I set off behind the coach for the third 200, but he (deliberately, I bet) sprinted on the second length so I lost his feet. The rest of the swim was hard, and I just about came in 2:49. After another 2 min plank (hand went down a couple of times), we were told to do a "fast" 200. Christ, what had we just been doing, I asked? Fast meant 1:20 pace, so I offered to lead off for the first 100. Did so, and came in 1:20, and nearly puked. Jumped on someones legs to finish, and got dragged home. Legs didn't want to play their part for the last kicks, but I got through them.

We had a chat afterwards. Everyone in good form. Its a really nice bunch we have here, and I have to say its a highlight of the week training with them. Everyone pushes each other on.

I'll be sore tomorrow from the planks. Lough Cutra race at the weekend, which I'm not in super shape for, but I've had a lot of other stuff on my plate recently so training has suffered a little the past few weeks. Still, I'm looking forward to opening the season with a solid race.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement