Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard Deviation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oh, if you did those fly kicks correctly you sure will feel them tomorrow!!! :eek:

What a great opportunity this group has been for you. Fantastic! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Sun Lough Cutra Oly 2:34:21

I went looking for a solid performance, and a solid performance I got. It's a long drive to Lough Cutra from South Wicklow, made longer by having to pack for three triathletes (the kids were doing their first Tri). Good sleep in the hotel, then bike down to a very well-organised race.

Swim (25:33)
    The water was brain-freeze cold, but that soon went. I started wide, wanted to stay out of trouble on my first OW of the year. Got onto feet, jumped when I felt they were too slow, sighted well... all was good by the halfway turnaround. From here I picked up the pace a little, and targeted groups ahead. This went well all the way home, I passed quite a few, and finished strong. Really enjoyed the swim.

T1 (1:26)
    No fuss, no problems. It was a long run up to the mount line, a guy crashed off as soon as he mounted... lots of eagerness!

Bike (1:22:08)
    Two laps of Lough Cutra. We exited the Castle grounds, then hit the main road. Soon though, we turned onto a twisty, narrow, pock-marked backroad, which was hard to get any momentum on. Still, thats the same for everyone. My aim was to do a "decent" bike- that meant leaving something for the run. Reckon I gt my just deserts here (under 30kph, but I'll allow that for the roads)

T2
    Long run down to trans, which I nearly came a cropper on (almost tripped over my bike running sideways downhill).

Run (43:49)
    A rough and tough Xcountry course (glad I wore the Speedcross trail shoes. I was fairly beat on the run, didn't wear a watch so figured I got about 50mins for the 10k. Delighted when I saw my actual split.

Overall:
    Happy with the race. It was "solid". My swim should be pushed harder- I need to jump on faster feet at the start. Bike and run were about where they should be, no matter what ratio hard:easy I run them. The kids enjoyed their races. Missy came 2nd in her category and was thrilled to be made a fuss of on the podium with photographers and everything:D

Well done to you and to both of your kids! And a Godel up on the podium waving to her subjects below - fantastic! There'll be no living with her now....and you better get busy building her a place to display all her trophies and prizes as it sounds as if it's just beginning. :)

Mon 1k swim

Blisters all over my toes today- wet feet crammed into sockless Speedcross does not compute. Got a handy 1k swim in this evening, which massaged out a few aches. Both the kids did their lesson tonight, having purposely not scrubbed off yesterdays race number marked on legs and hands, and wearing their Lough Cutra Tri caps.

"What, this old thing?"

Tue 2,500m swim

Grabbed this at lunchtime in between a busy day. 6*400m (30 sec rest between), 100 swim down. I've no idea of the times, but the effort was there. I tried to pace steady for 150m, then up the effort.

• Advertisement

Wed 50 min easy turbo, 2,500m swim

Nothing spectacular about todays training. I'm still a little stiff from Sunday's race, and I had a very busy workload today to get through. Swim was a mix of stuff,
    400m warm up
    10*50 (25 sprint, 25 easy)
    400m steady
    500m drills
    400m steady
    100m hypoxic
    200 swim down

Sharing the lane with someone much faster than me, and someone much slower than me, but we all seemed to get done what was needed.
    It was the last night for the Tinahely Tri Swim Group (the slower lane had extended their lessons a few weeks). As I swam beside their lane, I got to see just how much they had improved. Many of these couldn't even swim when interested started coaching us last year, and now I had to put in effort to keep up with them as they did fast 25's. Form, confidence, speed, have all improved, and there is a palpable sense of longing for OW training to begin next week.

Our current coach JK is hard of hearing, and some friends of his will be taking on the Channel swim challenge, in the form of a relay team of 7 women, from Dover to France in aid of Irish Deaf Women Group. As a "thank you" to him for his help over the past few months we had a whip-around, and sure I may as well throw the link to the donation page up here in case anyone is feeling rich and generous. IRISH DEAF CHANNEL SWIMMERS 2014 fundraising page

Thurs 2,900 Masters swim session

200 warm up
    200 IM
    200 off 3:00 (in 2:55) (I misread this, did it too early)
    10*25 (15 sprint, 10 coast, 15 sec rest)
    200 off 3:00
    3*50 off 1:05
    200 off 3:10
    3*50 off 1:00
    200 off 3:20
    3*50 off 55
    200 off 3:30
    3*50 off 50
    200 off 3:40
    3*50 off 45
    300 swim down

Got the blood pumping with some IM early, obviously starved my brain because I set off into a fast 200 a set early. Nevertheless, I came in 2:55 and considered continuing to get a 5:xx 400. But that wasn't in the set, will have to wait. A fast 250 of HR stuff, and the fun begins. I led off the first 200 off 3:00, my arms were a bit spent from having done it already but Thursday nights are all about pushing yourself. In 2:55 again, albeit with more effort than before. The rest of the set went well; I'm probably better at fast sprint stuff anyway, so it got easier as the 50's got faster. As I said last week, I love love love swimming with this group.
    Talk afterwards of starting a second weekly pool session soon, and one of the girls said she was going to start an OW evening in Brittas Bay. No time for running this summer, but who gives a god damn when training in the water is going so well;)

*Considering* doing the Sandycove swim this Sunday. No wetsuit, brrr!

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Thurs

Talk afterwards of starting a second weekly pool session soon, and one of the girls said she was going to start an OW evening in Brittas Bay. No time for running this summer, but who gives a god damn when training in the water is going so well;)

*Considering* doing the Sandycove swim this Sunday. No wetsuit, brrr!

You've turned into quite the swim whore. ;)

"Swim whore", I love it;). Today it was time for an overdue servicing of my faithful if all-too-familiar exercise wife, running. I started off slow and disinterested,on a mission to yet again go through the motions and consort the forest trails as efficiently as possible. However, despite these paths being well-ploughed for many a year, I soon caught a glimpse of those youthful days and remembered what first attracted me to this forest running, and by the finish had worked up a sweat from some pleasant pounding pronto. Enjoyable.

Tomorrow I hope to give a good lash to my first skins race, in Sandycove. "Introibo ad altare lupa".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Don't forget the goose fat ;)

• Advertisement

griffin100 wrote: »
    Don't forget the goose fat ;)

I'm trying not to think of the cold ;)

Are you doing any of the OW Leinster races, I'd have thought they'd by right up your alley?

I'm trying not to think of the cold ;)

Are you doing any of the OW Leinster races, I'd have thought they'd by right up your alley?

Oi, no slagging the fat / insulated one ;) tbh haven't really looked at the race calendar, but I'm not enamoured by skins swims.

Sun Sandycove Harbour Swim (c1.5k)

My first time doing a "proper" swim race, this was an experience like nothing before! No wetsuit, cold seas, well over a hundred hardened proper swim folk eager to kick off their season... It's a handicap race, which means the handicapper allocates people a swim start time based on their ability. Slowest go on the gun, then next 15 seconds later, then on 30, 45, 1min; etc. When registering I gave a 6 min 400m as a sample time, the handicapper said thats fairly good, you're off 6:15 and sure we'll have a look at you again after the race. I didn't expect such a tough handicap (Gavin who is sometimes at our Arklow masters sessions and can swim 100m in 60 seconds and is an accomplished sea swimmer went off 8:30, for the sake of example). Nevertheless, these races seem to be all about fun and pushing yourself against the elements, rather than who is first home, so all was good.

After the first "wave" left, I got in the water to acclimatise... it was bloody freezing! I was hyperventilating, and in pain all over, and really missing my wetsuit! However, things felt easier after a few minutes, and I waited my turn to go in an ever-diminishing group of eager swimmers. Right from the off I knew this was for me. Its a lot freer swimming without a suit, and feels a lot more "honest". The long swim out to the first bouy was sighted well enough, but I was passed by a few sharks from later groups. No matter, today I just wanted to see what I could do. Round the first bouy, and immediately things got a lot tougher. We were against the current, and the swell was large enough to be a pretty big issue. The next bouy had been placed so we could sight off Howth Head across the bay, and that was a pleasure in itself. Periodically I was being taken by a few more, but from here I started to pass some myself and haul back a few places. This section was the toughest of the whole swim, it was much better (read "harder") conditions than any Tri sea swim I've been in.

I stopped a second at the last turn to get a bearing for the finish. In retrospect I took a bearing a little left (20-25m) of the harbour, and its something I need to correct for the next race. Spending an extra 10 seconds to get the correct bearing, and save an extra 25m swimming: no contest. Anyway, I was feeling good, and pushed the pace from here to home, taking quite a few along the way. I finished in 126th, which doesn't really mean anything, I don't think. More to the point I really enjoyed this swim, and can't wait for the next one. I'd encourage anyone interested in proper swimming to give it a shot without the suit- it really is a much freer way of racing.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Good on ya. Kudos on doing a 'proper' swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done KG! Def going to try out some 'proper' swimming this summer for a shorter event

Wow, just saw the results... actual time has me firmly pegged at the latter end of the scale. Thats a wake-up call...

Sun 2k OW swim

Well I'm pretty shocked by the results yesterday- I came 103rd out of 130 (time to complete course). The fact that I expected to rock up and be comfortably top 30% shows just how complacent I've become as a swimmer on a Tri forum. These guys are a different league altogether, and if I want to play with them I'm going to have to up my game considerably. That just boils down to swimming faster: more training, harder training, more coaching, better diet. Hopefully I will start to apply myself a bit more over this season of races.

This evening I intended hitting Wicklow harbour, but a text came in from the Tri club who were swimming the Barrow river at 4pm, so I headed to that. Very glad that I did, as it appears Wicklow Harbour is murky from recent dredging, and the Barrow is an absolutely splendid place to swim.

600m upstream There was quite a flow so it was a battle to swim against the current. 2:40/100m pace, that will give you an idea of how tough it was.

Then straight in to the same 600m downstream, this time 1:13/100m pace:D Very enjoyable!

A final down/up for 800m at an average 1:47/100m pace. The river narrowed towards the bottom, and it was a real hard workout to swim against this increased flow. Nevertheless, a really enjoyable place to swim, only a 40min drive away, so I will be back several times over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

These guys are a different league altogether

lol the current 5 k open water champ is a triathlete ;-)

peter kern wrote: »
    lol the current 5 k open water champ is a triathlete ;-)

I think he is very much a case of "the exception proves the rule", Peter!

Tue 23k run; 1,500m swim

After years of running- flogging my body up and down hills, hurting during various tempo's, endless times along the forest paths... I discovered something new about running today. Hold on to yer hats. Make sure the chair is stable. Running... can also be used... as a means to get from point A to point B! Who knew?!? I had an exam today to far side of Dublin, at an awkward time, and I had to drop in a clients cheque to a bank the other side of the city an hour beforehand. So, after a crap nights sleep and an early start, I parked the car in Dundrum at 8:20, ran to the bank and dropped in the cheque at 9:00, ran to the exam in Drumcondra in good time for the 10:00 start, did the exam (went pretty well!:D), ran back through the city and then decided to take a Luas the rest of the way from the canal to Dundrum (so I could make the pool). Drove to Arklow, hopped in the pool for 1k straight and 500m drills. Wasn't feeling the love in the pool, tired arms from the race I think.

Did you have to sign a swim proficiency declaration at the weekend? Was listening to the guy who had to be hospitalised after the swim in the radio this morning, it was his first ever ow swim by the sounds of it.

• Advertisement

Did you have to sign a swim proficiency declaration at the weekend? Was listening to the guy who had to be hospitalised after the swim in the radio this morning, it was his first ever ow swim by the sounds of it.

There may well have been a disclaimer of some sorts that was signed. Was the guy complaining n the radio, or accepting that he was out of his depth? The race was tough- as any good race should be- but very well marshalled, loads of safety boats, good clear sighting etc. Not suitable for someones first ever OW swim though, that much should have been patently clear, but you can't legislate for stupidity.

The guy in question was on knobhead Ray D'arcy's radio show this morning looking for the person that 'saved his life'. It was his first OW swim from what I can gather, he was in a wetsuit, was cold, felt funny half way around, climbed out onto some rocks, was in a bad way, a volunteer came to his aid and warmed him up, and off he went to hospital where they suspect he may have an atrial fibrilation as well as hypothermia - he needs more tests apparently to check his heart. A lucky guy I'd say, more than one inexperienced swimmer has died in a cold water swim - whether he should have been in the water in the first place is another question, we all have to start somewhere but a race like that as your first ow swim is a bit on the silly side imho.

That said better get my ass in gear in case I have a go at Beginnish Island this summer :eek:

The guy in question was on knobhead Ray D'arcy's radio show this morning looking for the person that 'saved his life'. It was his first OW swim from what I can gather, he was in a wetsuit, was cold, felt funny half way around, climbed out onto some rocks, was in a bad way, a volunteer came to his aid and warmed him up, and off he went to hospital where they suspect he may have an atrial fibrilation as well as hypothermia - he needs more tests apparently to check his heart. A lucky guy I'd say, more than one inexperienced swimmer has died in a cold water swim - whether he should have been in the water in the first place is another question, we all have to start somewhere but a race like that as your first ow swim is a bit on the silly side imho.

That said better get my ass in gear in case I have a go at Beginnish Island this summer :eek:

Well if he beached on rocks at the 40ft he completed 95% of the course. It was cold, but nothing crazy, and a suit would have alleviated that. Hard call whether he should have been in beforehand though- he almost completed (it wasn't that hard though), but certainly should have done OW swims before attempting a race like this. Going on the radio to tell the tale though.... bloody drama queen. Could he not have contacted the organizers directly? (With an apology/thanks for causing them such trouble).

I know if it was me in that position, the last thing I'd want to do would be to publicise my own lack of ability, which led to volunteer resources being used up.

Regarding the beached and gasping swimmer - first open water swim....in cold water.....skins?? :eek:

And don't beat yourself up too much over your swim this weekend - the "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore" feeling is good to be subjected to from time to time for it brings us down to earth and keeps our britches from getting too big. ;)

Truth is, all things considered with regards to your very short swimming history and experience, you did great just to show up to the party. Be patient....and figure out what your swimming goals are and then train smarter to achieve those goals. I suspect you already know it's not as simple as "....more training, harder training, more coaching..." - but rather it's what sorts of swimming sets should you be doing to make you faster over which distances and in what types of circumstances and conditions. Simple. :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    And don't beat yourself up too much over your swim this weekend - the "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore" feeling is good to be subjected to from time to time for it brings us down to earth and keeps our britches from getting too big. ;)

Truth is, all things considered with regards to your very short swimming history and experience, you did great just to show up to the party. Be patient....and figure out what your swimming goals are and then train smarter to achieve those goals. I suspect you already know it's not as simple as "....more training, harder training, more coaching..." - but rather it's what sorts of swimming sets should you be doing to make you faster over which distances and in what types of circumstances and conditions. Simple. :)

Haha:D Spot on Dory! You're the best! As in any race, you get the result you deserve. I'm looking forward to the next OW race (hopefully this Saturday evening); its all about improvement no matter what the level one is at, and that great buzzy feeling immediately after the race. Gimmee gimmee gimmee! ;)

Thurs 3,100m swim and deck
    400 warm up
    10*50 (25 choice, 25 front, 10 sec rest)
    2*(4*100 on 1:30, 5 sec rest; 15 situp, 10 pressup, 10 squat jumps, 1 min plank)
    2*(8*50 on 45, 5 sec rest, 20 situp, 15 pressup, 15 squat jumps, 1:30 min plank)
    1*(8*25 on 20, 10 sec rest, 25 situp, 20 pressup, 20 squat jumps, 2 min plank)
    400m swim down

Tough!

Thurs 3,100m swim and deck
    400 warm up
    10*50 (25 choice, 25 front, 10 sec rest)
    2*(4*100 on 1:30, 5 sec rest; 15 situp, 10 pressup, 10 squat jumps, 1 min plank)
    2*(8*50 on 45, 5 sec rest, 20 situp, 15 pressup, 15 squat jumps, 1:30 min plank)
    1*(8*25 on 20, 10 sec rest, 25 situp, 20 pressup, 20 squat jumps, 2 min plank)
    400m swim down

Tough!
    I wonder if it would look weird doing this set solo? You were with others, right?!

Sat 3.22k OW swim in 49:23

I was in two minds whether to go to the NAC Masters swim race in Dublin this evening. I wanted to test myself in the OW again, but its quite a journey, and my body was still very achey and tight from Thursdays session. In the end I hit Wicklow Harbour with Abhainn, who was doing his first OW of the year, the slacker;)

Three large laps of the harbour; I felt good and strong throughout. Tried a shorter, choppier stroke where it was a bit rougher, and swam extended pool stroke where it was calm. Very happy with the time for that distance, and for the fact that I could have gone on further at that pace.

Sat 3.22k OW swim in 49:23
    Sub60 IM pace... Nice swimming!

• Advertisement

Sub60 IM pace... Nice swimming!

I'd be a little concerned the Garmin was measuring long- would have expected around 3.0-3.1k for the 3 laps- but happy enough!

Sun 2,200m swim

400m warm up
    4*400 off 7mins as:
    400PB in 6:25
    400 Paddles in 6:44
    400 swim in 6:31
    400 PB in around 7:00
    then 200m warm down

In other news... (sing it)... POOOOOOOL's OUT, FOR SUMM-AH! Kids were in its freezing waters yesterday for over an hour, they don't feel the cold at all. I will be venturing in daily for a wetsuited workout.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement