Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard Deviation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Mon pm 1:30 turbo

Easy spinning, with a sore ass from yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Mon pm 1:30 turbo

Easy spinning, with a sore ass from yesterday.

First time ready here in a long time.

Not sure what you did yesterday but not sure I want to know.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

tunney wrote: »
    First time ready here in a long time.

Not sure what you did yesterday but not sure I want to know.
    A long hard ride, I believe. Poor dear hadnt got his leg over in ages.

Oryx wrote: »
    A long hard ride, I believe. Poor dear hadnt got his leg over in ages.

Guess I set myself up for that one;)

Vibro-ass, there's gotta be a fetish website set up somewhere.

Tue. 4km straight swim

I hit stop instead of lap after each km, so my data is screwed up, but I had the pool clock to go by. Aim was 1:45 pace for 2km and see how I felt after. First km 1:46, second km 1:47, third 1:49, fourth 1:51.
    This swim helps me decide on the 5km race over the 10km. Aim will be sub 1:45 pace for the 5km race. The 10km I could complete, but I'll hold it for next year and a sub3 attempt.

• Advertisement

Tue pm 1.6k OW swim

Junior asked could I take him to the harbour... could I wha'?!! Jumped in the car to my favourite training facility, which was clearer than I've ever seen it before. Maybe something to do with the recent dredging. Anyway, loads of activity within the harbour walls- kids splashing, dogs getting wet, teenagers diving, rowers a-rowing, adults swimming... what a great place to spend an hour.

I did a lap first, about 1km in 17 mins (garmin measured it long), before doing about 600m around and between the boats with Junior. Its magic swimming in the sea, you come out of it reborn. Arms etc. didn't feel any effect from todays earlier swim.

Wed 45 mins turbo; 4km OW swim

About 12 years ago when I was a lot less fit, and a lot more interesting, I was working in an artists studio with a group of fellow artists. One of our tasks was to hand mix tubes of specific colours from an array of about 100 different pigments and hues, before using these mixed colours to paint (-by-numbers) large canvases. One of my collegues, an older gentleman from Ghana called Kwabena, asked me if I knew what the darkest yellow was. I took at a guess at some sunset yellow, or chrome yellow tinted with Payne's grey, before he imparted to me that it was in fact Raw Umber, ostensibly one of the deepest and dullest browns. He squirted a dollop on some clear acetate, spread it flat with a palette knife, and proceeded to hold it up to the sunlight. Sure enough, as the rays fought to break through the dark oil, one could detect a vivid sense of yellow fighting through.

I was reminded of Kwabena and his wisdom this evening, as I swam for about 4km up and down the river Barrow in Bagenalstown. As I gazed through the murky waters, the sunlight fought towards the bottom, and a distinct yellow could be seen along the cusp of each edge between golden ray and brown shade. Just one of the many, many, thoughts that go through my head underwater, which always seem more interesting than when dry and on the deck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

thats all very deep Paul ... you're still too slow though ;)

interested wrote: »
    thats all very deep Paul ... you're still too slow though ;)

Any Tri, any place, any time.

Yellow?;)

Any Tri, any place, any time.

Yellow?;)

I read this and smiled, knowingly ... despite your exterior and competitive edge Paul .. I see past all that to the real you url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=E0q68lbS3_MhmM&tbnid=UX3zqaSeVxdQXM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.astro.cornell.edu%2F~derg%2Fpuppies.html&ei=6SfaU6GwM6qP4gTd14DwAw&bvm=bv.72185853,d.ZGU&psig=AFQjCNGsqRouzPBoB1ZeuoZUk7YP-d_rBw&ust=1406892387940019 ....

• Advertisement

Who am I trying to kid, trying to smack talk you into a race... I'm way of my depth...

Thurs 3km OW swim in 46:35

This was a great swim, five of us from the Arklow Masters group met up at Brittas Bay. There was loads of activity going on there that evening- a bootcamp on the beach, kids doing group swimming, teenagers learning surf training... fantastic evening to be out and about. Ireland is a great place with a bit of good weather.

We swam against the current for the first 1.5km, stopping a couple of times to allow the group to bunch up again. It was choppy enough, the waves were just high enough to make sighting a little difficult. This was the first time in ages I've worn the suit, and what a difference it makes. 1.5km against the current in average 1:39 pace.

For the return we let rip, it was a lot easier with that bit of resistance gone. Sighting was a little easier too as we had taller hills to work off. Our lines were pretty straight as per the garmin, no complaints on that front. We went a good deal quicker coming back, for an overall 3km pace of 1:33/100m.

I love swimming these days, it really makes you feel alive, and I've never been this swim fit before. Wicklow Harbour race at the weekend, looking forward to that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Wed 45 mins turbo; 4km OW swim

About 12 years ago when I was a lot less fit, and a lot more interesting, I was working in an artists studio with a group of fellow artists. One of our tasks was to hand mix tubes of specific colours from an array of about 100 different pigments and hues, before using these mixed colours to paint (-by-numbers) large canvases. One of my collegues, an older gentleman from Ghana called Kwabena, asked me if I knew what the darkest yellow was. I took at a guess at some sunset yellow, or chrome yellow tinted with Payne's grey, before he imparted to me that it was in fact Raw Umber, ostensibly one of the deepest and dullest browns. He squirted a dollop on some clear acetate, spread it flat with a palette knife, and proceeded to hold it up to the sunlight. Sure enough, as the rays fought to break through the dark oil, one could detect a vivid sense of yellow fighting through.

I was reminded of Kwabena and his wisdom this evening, as I swam for about 4km up and down the river Barrow in Bagenalstown. As I gazed through the murky waters, the sunlight fought towards the bottom, and a distinct yellow could be seen along the cusp of each edge between golden ray and brown shade. Just one of the many, many, thoughts that go through my head underwater, which always seem more interesting than when dry and on the deck.

Ever the artist. ;)

I received my little tether package. Thank you. I've been a bit under the weather this week (to put it mildly), but I'll have a proper look at it this weekend. :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Ever the artist. ;)

I received my little tether package. Thank you. I've been a bit under the weather this week (to put it mildly), but I'll have a proper look at it this weekend. :)

Good to see you back! I hope you're not overdoing it with the recent spike in training... an easy week might not be a bad idea! Loads of time for you to tether yourself and tell us all about it;)

Good to see you back! I hope you're not overdoing it with the recent spike in training... an easy week might not be a bad idea! Loads of time for you to tether yourself and tell us all about it;)

Oooo...a tether and tell!! Sounds like fun! ;)

I'm on the mend, thanks. No issues of overtraining...more like I came into contact with something that was bad. Very, very, v-e-r-y bad. :(

Fri 6k Fartlek run

Its very muggy this evening (has been for the past few days), and this fast/slow run was difficult to catch breath on. I'd much rather have been by the fresh air of the seashore:)

Speaking of the sea, there's a couple of races at the weekend I hope to get to, including the Wicklow Open on Sunday. While there, I'll hand in my entry for the 10km Leinster Champs, held at Lough Dan Aug 23rd. That sort of distance will be a step into the unknown, but I'd probably get more out of completing that distance, than I would from doing the 5km under 1:30. I'd never hit 10km under 3 hours without a suit, so I'll train for 3:15, and see how I get on. That means ramping up the swim distance over the remaining weeks, and working on maintaining pace. Should be a blast:)

Dear god...so it's the 10k is it? Well, I guess you would feel like you were "settling" if you only did the 5k. When is it? Anyone else from here doing it?

Anyone else from here doing it?

Griff is doing it. We need a two-pronged pressure approach Dory. Go onto his log and tell him he's doing it.

Griff is doing it. We need a two-pronged pressure approach Dory. Go onto his log and tell him he's doing it.

Are we applying pressure for the 10k or 5k?

Are we applying pressure for the 10k or 5k?

10k please... otherwise I will come last...;)

• Advertisement

10k please... otherwise I will come last...;)

Your momma raised no dummy! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Your momma raised no dummy! ;)

Neither did feckin mine ;)

Ehhh I'd love to do it except it clashes with my Ironman.

Sun Wicklow Open Race (1.64km)

Another weekend, another sea race, this time closer to home from the Wicklow Murrough to the Harbour. I was given the same 5 min handicap again (must try harder to "play" this system:)), but thats cool, these races are all about giving what you got on the day, and finishing wrecked, but with a smile on your face. Best €10 I've spent this side of IMRA.

For the first 5 minutes or so I was on my own- just plugging away neither catching nor being caught. However, soon the inevitable packs started to pass by. They travel at a pace that is much faster than my ability- I tried hanging on to feet but couldn't even manage that. We had the slight current behind us, which probably flattered my overall pace a bit (1:34/100m overall), the sea was a great temperature, and sighting wasn't too difficult. I thought I had swam too wide in places, but the Garmin map shows a reasonably straight line. I was hurting at the bouy, which signalled the final 200m, and hadn't caught anybody by this stage. However, finishing strong has been a constant in these races, so I upped the pace and started to pass bodies. The pack was bunching here, so I managed to pass a few towards the end. It was very choppy turning into the harbour, but once around the wall it was a case of sprinting for the beach. Finished in 116th place, with maybe 10 behind me, but I couldn't have gone much faster. Nice to have coffee and sambos laid on; well done Wicklow Swim Club.

Drove home happy with my day, if a little disappointed I didn't bike in and back, as interested did! Fair play, a great training day for you. Love these swims. Also, 10km entry form and fee handed in- no going back now!

twas a nice swim in perfect conditions - considering the weekend weather to date .. the sunny south east lived up to its name. I thought I was on the ROK bike with the amount of sandwiches, tea and cake after the swim ... nice.

BTW
    I made it to the edge of town before my chain went snap and ended my spin home north ... no chain tool with me ... but scored a lift with a club mate who was heading back who will now have to have his passenger seat cleaned due to my bike gear.

Mon Killiney Beach race 1.6km

My handicap had dropped to a 3.5mins for todays race, I guess thats a good thing. Water was warm, a fair bit of chop in places, and a nice drag if swimming south. The course was out and around to one bouy, then swim a large rectangle parallel to the shore. Nice out to the first bouy, then you noticed the drag swimming into the current, then a fair bit of chop while swimming out again. The long line between bouys 3 and 4 wasn't as straight as it might have been for me: I think I was sighting off the wrong bouy in the distance at times. Again, I was passed by speedsters here, although I was a little more successful holding feet for 25m at a time.

I started to pass swimmers after the turn from bouy 4, and pushed hard on the long drag for the final bouy. This part took forever, against the current, choppy enough, and a fair amount of traffic (something new to me, owing to the lower handicap). I sprinted the final part to the beach, and nabbed a couple more places, to finish 79th. Happy enough with that, although to be honest my pool times are not translating into the sea- I should be swimming faster. The garmin says 1:50/100m average pace (not 100% how accurate its course measurement is though, it snipped a section at the start). More sea work needed, but when the sea is as nice as it is today, where else would you be?

Happy enough with that, although to be honest my pool times are not translating into the sea

Pool = static
    OW (the sea, in particular) = dynamic

Not sure how close a translation you are looking for, but respect their differences and don't be too hard on yourself. ;) You're doing great!

Pool = static
    OW (the sea, in particular) = dynamic

Not sure how close a translation you are looking for, but respect their differences and don't be too hard on yourself. ;) You're doing great!

Ah, I'm not hard on myself at all (my intake for wine and chocs indicate a high comfort level;))- rather I'm just thinking aloud. I know I'm swimming with people at a higher level, but its more than that. There's a cadence and stroke of those who pass me, that I'd like to emulate. I can't seem to get it in the sea.

But the races themselves are great fun, and things are going in the right direction, so its all good.

Tue 5k sea swim 1:47/100m pace average

Got a message from my swim partner K that he would be at Brittas for 5:30. I arrived a little early, the sea was pretty choppy, and it looked as if there was a tidal pull. No one else was in the water, so I went to the lifeguard hut just to let him know I was competent, and would swim up and down the beach staying well within his sight. The sea was pretty angry for some reason this evening, and it was tough going in there, being thrown around with impunity. As I was doing my 300m lengths, a heavy rain shower came down. There's no better feeling to make you feel in the moment than swimming in crashing waves, while the hard rain beats your face.

After 2k of this, my buddy arrived, and we went on a longer straight swim down the beach to the far lifeguard hut. I didn't know it at the time, but we had a curious seal for company. We turned around after 1.2km, and began the hard charge back to our start point. This was very choppy, into the current, and was probably the tougest conditions I've yet swam in. We turned again to make up a final 600m, for a total of 5km.

The time is flattered by the suit, but the rough conditions more than compensated for any flattery;). I'm pretty happy with how I handled the conditions (only felt mildly queasy with seasickness) after two days of racing. Next week I'll look to extend to 6km, then 7km, and that'll do before the race.

A seal? For company? Swimming with you? Or just supervising your splah about?

• Advertisement

A seal? For company? Swimming with you? Or just supervising your splah about?

He came up behind my partner, I didn't see him.

You should get a seal for your pool.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement