Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard Deviation

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Wed 70 mins easy turbo; 32 mins easy run

My legs felt sluggish on the run. I don't really like running slow, it can mess with form too much so you slouch along. But a plod was in the program, so a plod it had to be, about 5:30/km pace. All part of the bigger picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

What's the bigger picture?

Good work on the 10x100. On 2 = off 2 mins?

What's the bigger picture?

Good work on the 10x100. On 2 = off 2 mins?

Yes, I meant off 2mins. In <1:35. Which now feels like a nice steady pace, never thought I'd get there!

Da bigger picture is I fill in the colours wherever the coach says I paint them. That includes short recovery stuff, that I used to just skip before. Hopefully by next year, my bike and run will be at a comparative standard as my swim is at now.

I still have swim goals too though. Learning to tumble turn properly is a big part of that- it keeps your feel for the water going for longer stuff.

Thurs 8.36k run intervals

15 easy
    5x(30sec build, 30sec easy)
    10x(1 fast, 1 easy)
    5 easy

I did this session last week, and declared that the intensity felt less than similar 10*min hard on the turbo. So it got scheduled again for this week, under heading "Take Two". Hard means hard:) I wore the HRM this time, and went hard for all 10 intervals. HR was around 175+ for the hard parts, and I gave each a decent amount of effort. No reservations this time around, the effort was tough!

Thurs PM 2,500m swim

200m easy
    10*50m (25k, 25sw, 15sec rest)
    8*(200m, 1min plank, 1 min rest)
    200m easy

Just two of us at the Masters again, I think more will start from next week. I found the initial kicks tough, no doubt a residue from todays earlier run. The 200s were to aim for 3mins but that was a bit ambitious, I alternated swim and pb and came in between 3:05-3:10 for each. Surprisingly I survived all 8 planks without breaking the pose- I'm getting a hell of a lot better at counting slowly to 30 and then counting back down slowly. I think I'm a masochist at heart: some of the imagery that comes to mind during those final slow seconds is most passing strange.

• Advertisement

Fri 2,200m pool

200sw, 4x50fist
    200p, 4x50k
    300sw, 300p
    200sw, 200p
    100sw, 100p
    4x50 choice all easy/steady

All done around 1:40-1:45 pace which felt easy/steady. I'm feeling good in the water now that I'm back at the pool. There's a few reasons for this, but I reckon the main two are:
    1. Getting swim fit with a lot of OW racing;
    2. Watching the Asgard kids for 4 hours a week. That's a real education on technique.

Sat Liffey Swim

I've wanted to do this race since seeing the great Jack Yeats painting. All the advice had been to keep to the middle where the current would help, but walking up to the start it was obvious there was a tidal flow upstream. The flow seemed less pronounced by the sides, so I decided I'd stay away from the middle. I had a tough enough 4:30 handicap, don't know what I did to deserve that! Diving in on my start, the immediate sensation was the taste- a salty mix of stale beer. Ugh. It was chilly enough too, but you soon got used to that. Under the first bridge, that was a strange feeling. After that it was a matter of just plugging away. I was going strong enough- at a pace I hoped wouldn't slow for the 2km of the race. There was a lot of traffic, but plenty of room to pass where needed. Lots of onlookers cheering from the sides, and over every bridge- I'd say it was a real spectacle to watch. It's a pretty strange viewpoint to glimpse Dublin from, seeing the Four Courts, Woodquay, etc, from the water. People were passing me, but I was passing others in turn. It seemed like a tough swim, and I was pretty burnt by O'Connell bridge- which is wider than it is long, and is a long, long, way to swim in the dark, towards the distant semi-circle of light that is the other side. I pushed as hard as I could from here, catching and taking a few, and welcomed the sight of the Custom House and the finish.

Disinfectant and a shower at the finish, and a can of coke for whatever benefits it might or might not have. If nothing else, it helped ease the Liffey taste. Good race, glad its done.

Sun 120 mins turbo

I brewed up a batch of beer for a BBQ last night, and indulged rather too much. Note to self: check the specific gravity and determine alcohol content in future. So a very rough head this morning (on top of a cold that is lingering in the house), but I feel better now having done some exercise.

45 EZ
    3*(10 Above Sprint effort, 10 EZ)
    15 EZ

I was meant to run off the bike but didn't manage to get that done.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Your review of the liffey swim does not entice me...you've survived a few swims in the liffey now with DCT...must have good blood in those veins!

Weekly Summary|Session|Comment

Monday| 2,500m swim; 6k easy run|Swam high in the water
    Tuesday|47 min turbo; 2,400m swim|Very hard turbo. 10x100 alt sw/p on 2 hitting < 01:35 (in 1:26-1:33)
    Wednesday|70 mins easy turbo; 32 mins easy run|Legs felt sluggish
    Thursday|8.36k run; 2,500m Masters swim|Run 10 mins minute on/off, very hard. Swim 8*(200m, 1min plank, 1 min rest), in 3:05-3:10
    Friday|Swim 2,200|Easy
    Saturday|Liffey Swim|Solid effort, felt tough towards the end. Stroked well
    Sunday|120min turbo|Included 3*(10 above sprint pace, 10 easy). Didn't feel great today
    Weekly km|Swim 11.8k Bike 115k Run 19.36k| Some hard sessions put down this week. Run is getting better.
    2014 km|Swim 403.74k Bike 3,162.5k Run 618.64k

• Advertisement

Your review of the liffey swim does not entice me...you've survived a few swims in the liffey now with DCT...must have good blood in those veins!

Tough swim all right! I was tempted to put todays lethargy down to ill-effects from the swim, but the home brew is the prime suspect :)

I'd be keen to do it again next year. It was a lot cleaner than I would have expected, seaweed being the only debris I saw.

Mon 2,000m swim; 5.6k easy run
    200sw, 4x50fists
    200p, 4x50k
    400sw, 2x200p, 4x100sw
    all easy/steady with 10-15s

This is an easier week, with a target Sprint race on Saturday. Form and feel felt fine. The kicks are still the hardest thing to do, but I'll persevere. The secret to being a good swimmer is keeping high in the water, and to do that I need to improve my kick. The genetic gods treated me well. As well as good looks, I was blessed with large feet that can point very well, so I've no excuse not to use them as flippers. Kicking is a great weapon to have in races too, I had quite a few battles during the Liffey swim where I swam beside someone for a while, only getting past them by engaging the kick more.

Forest run in the evening, easy pace, with 5*(20sec fast, 40 EZ). The fast bursts were massively enjoyable- totally in control, full of power, racing and speeding up with arms pumping.

Arms are to running what legs are to swimming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    As well as good looks, I was blessed with large feet that can point very well

I'm thinking if this swimming/tri lark doesn't work out for you, ballet may be your answer! ;)

Tues 60 min turbo

Easy spinning, tutu kept riding up when in TT position though.

Wed 30 min turbo, 20 min run

Bric session, both with faster-than-race pace intervals. Felt strong enough holding good upright form on the run.

PM 1,600m swim

Fists, PB, kick, etc. Nothing hectic. 5*100 off 2, all in under 1:30. Hardly worth the journey for that volume, but I trust in the plan. I'm not used to tapering and it feels weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

Sat Liffey Swim

I've wanted to do this race since seeing the great Jack Yeats painting. All the advice had been to keep to the middle where the current would help, but walking up to the start it was obvious there was a tidal flow upstream. The flow seemed less pronounced by the sides, so I decided I'd stay away from the middle. I had a tough enough 4:30 handicap, don't know what I did to deserve that! Diving in on my start, the immediate sensation was the taste- a salty mix of stale beer. Ugh. It was chilly enough too, but you soon got used to that. Under the first bridge, that was a strange feeling. After that it was a matter of just plugging away. I was going strong enough- at a pace I hoped wouldn't slow for the 2km of the race. There was a lot of traffic, but plenty of room to pass where needed. Lots of onlookers cheering from the sides, and over every bridge- I'd say it was a real spectacle to watch. It's a pretty strange viewpoint to glimpse Dublin from, seeing the Four Courts, Woodquay, etc, from the water. People were passing me, but I was passing others in turn. It seemed like a tough swim, and I was pretty burnt by O'Connell bridge- which is wider than it is long, and is a long, long, way to swim in the dark, towards the distant semi-circle of light that is the other side. I pushed as hard as I could from here, catching and taking a few, and welcomed the sight of the Custom House and the finish.

Disinfectant and a shower at the finish, and a can of coke for whatever benefits it might or might not have. If nothing else, it helped ease the Liffey taste. Good race, glad its done.

Hey Kurt - nice one on the Liffey Swim. I must admit I haven't any ambitions to jump into the Lovely Liffey.

Mind you, having said that, I have done DCT and I'm reliably informed that the water quality is worse up there by the Boat clubs!

One correction though (and I'm surprised with your mathematical brain) - It's not a semi-circle, Its a segment

I swim corrected: it is a segment (and that actually crossed my mind when writing it ;)). Tis an eerie feeling that particular segment of the race: the "bend for home" and you are in a tunnel of pain, the echoing of others splashes and grunts serving only to illuminate your own imagining of the soon-to-be-its-got-to-be finish line.

Haveth Competitors Everywhere: this is a very romantic race that I'd like to revisit. Well worth doing. After all, its good borrowed Wicklow water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

I swim corrected: it is a segment (and that actually crossed my mind when writing it ;)). Tis an eerie feeling that particular segment of the race: the "bend for home" and you are in a tunnel of pain, the echoing of others splashes and grunts serving only to illuminate your own imagining of the soon-to-be-its-got-to-be finish line.

Haveth Competitors Everywhere: this is a very romantic race that I'd like to revisit. Well worth doing. After all, its good borrowed Wicklow water.

Good Man Kurt. See you at a race next year!!

Thurs 2,900m swim

I have an exam on Saturday; the start time for Pulse Sprint Tri was finally released, and alas the two are in conflict. Much as it pains me, I have to defer to my actual job and do the exam. So that's it: season's over. And with it probably any chance of entering the ETU race next July as a goal (though I'll still try and enter). Pity, as I was really looking forward to giving Pulse Tri a real blast...

Tonight: Masters session.

200 warm up
    10*50 (25 kick, 25 swim, 15 sec)
    2*200 pb (in 3:00)
    2*100 breath every 3,5,3,5 each 25
    2*150 pb (in 2:15)
    2*100 breath every 5,7,5,7
    2*50 pb (in 1:28)
    4*25 breath every 9
    2*200 pb (in 3:00)
    2*100 breath every 3,5,3,5 each 25
    2*150 pb (in 2:15)
    20 sec rest between reps

What can I do now the season is over? Embrace these Master sessions, and the push to get faster. I'm hitting 3 min 200m pace with the pb now. That's progress. Me and water are going to be great friends over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dited

Inspirational swimming progress! Thanks, Kurt Godel!!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Are you going to move to the even darker dark side of endurance swimming?

Oryx wrote: »
    Are you going to move to the even darker dark side of endurance swimming?

Funny you should mention it! I've been frantically looking at goals to target over the winter. Maybe some running races (5k-10k max) in a drive to get that aspect ready for next year. Bike racing isn't my bag (I think). So what is left is swimming. I don't think I'm any good at endurance swimming, and in any case the OW race season has finished. There are some masters galas on over the winter, I might try a few 100m/400m races if I can. Of course, I'll be even less competitive in these, but I love the immediacy of racing, and I have a 1:10 target to beat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Funny you should mention it! I've been frantically looking at goals to target over the winter. Maybe some running races (5k-10k max) in a drive to get that aspect ready for next year. Bike racing isn't my bag (I think). So what is left is swimming. I don't think I'm any good at endurance swimming, and in any case the OW race season has finished. There are some masters galas on over the winter, I might try a few 100m/400m races if I can. Of course, I'll be even less competitive in these, but I love the immediacy of racing, and I have a 1:10 target to beat...

To clarify I said 1:10 was not possible for a swimmer who learnt as an adult. Not someone who competed as a child, stopped for a few years, and then came back to it as an adult

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

carrot/stick:)

tunney wrote: »
    To clarify I said 1:10 was not possible for a swimmer who learnt as an adult. Not someone who competed as a child, stopped for a few years, and then came back to it as an adult

:)True- and I did have some lessons as a kid. But I'm not targeting it as a "f*ck you Tunney", I'm targeting it as something I considered unachievable when I started back swimming a couple of years ago. My pb is 1:15 (wall start), so its getting closer...

Not so sure how relevant going sub 1:10 is to Tri though. I'd suspect the easy answer is "not at all", but performance benefits at this stage are being found by improving swim form and getting more hydro, and I find that feeds directly into the longer stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

All the advice had been to keep to the middle where the current would help, but walking up to the start it was obvious there was a tidal flow upstream. The flow seemed less pronounced by the sides, so I decided I'd stay away from the middle.

Good man on the LS....although I see they chose to put a pic of the same 2 girls on the front of the ST and Sindo, rather than you in all your Speedo glory...

Don't they open some of the upstream locks to ensure decent downstream flow and cleaner water for this and the Liffey Descent, or is that some old wives tale?

Izoard wrote: »
    Good man on the LS....although I see they chose to put a pic of the same 2 girls on the front of the ST and Sindo, rather than you in all your Speedo glory...

Don't they open some of the upstream locks to ensure decent downstream flow and cleaner water for this and the Liffey Descent, or is that some old wives tale?

If one of those girls was the extremely photogenic ladies winner, Rachel Lee, that probably helped any would-be subeditor dilemma (below, exiting after her win).

I've heard they do release water from upstream. However, its tidal for quite a way up (to the Park at least), and the tide was still changing as we set off. Its a handicapped race so people go on different times. This may have explained why the backmarkers did so much better than the frontmarkers. And possibly too why the ladies race seemed generally quicker than the mens (they started later so perhaps the tide had turned at that stage).

Rachel-Lee-Liffey-Swim-2014-Winner.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

If one of those girls was the extremely photogenic ladies winner, Rachel Lee...

These were 2 other girls, but feel free to keep posting these pictures....

Isn't Rachel related to an ultra legend from this parish?

Izoard wrote: »
    These were 2 other girls, but feel free to keep posting these pictures....

Isn't Rachel related to an ultra legend from this parish?

Really? Small world. Although he might learn something from his relation regarding proper swimming attire...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭joey100

So that's it: season's over. And with it probably any chance of entering the ETU race next July as a goal (though I'll still try and enter).

I'd say you will get a spot Kurt. Seems to be fairly open entry and I'd say teh cost of Geneva will put people off entering. Might have been harder if it was closer like London 2 years ago. No wearing of the green trisuit on your training bike spins though!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement