Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard Deviation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

One of the things discussed at the TI open forum the other evening was a potential (probable) restriction on representing Ireland at the various championship events. It was suggested that it would be limited to only category 1 racers (under the new racing structures). The aim was to make it more of an achievement rather than just a case of applying. I am not sure it would be in place to have a bearing on the ETU race though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Izoard wrote: »
    These were 2 other girls, but feel free to keep posting these pictures....

Isn't Rachel related to an ultra legend from this parish?
    Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Really? Small world. Although he might learn something from his relation regarding proper swimming attire...

His cousin I believe! Pretty sure she's taken to the trails of Donadea with us too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

His cousin I believe! Pretty sure she's taken to the trails of Donadea with us too?

Well that explains his radiant smile. Now the penny drops... he did mention something to me before, but it was in Anto-speak: "Me cuz does sum splashin at Dollyer...", should have paid more attention.

(Note to self: ask Anto about sneaki deferred Donadea entry...)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

joey100 wrote: »
    I'd say you will get a spot Kurt. Seems to be fairly open entry and I'd say teh cost of Geneva will put people off entering. Might have been harder if it was closer like London 2 years ago. No wearing of the green trisuit on your training bike spins though!

I've been 'selected' twice to 'represent' Ireland. You'll be fine as long as you apply via the relevant route.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Izoard wrote: »

Isn't Rachel related to an ultra legend from this parish?

No relation to me Izoard - and I wouldn't call The Lost Sheep an Ultra

* no arguments on the legend comment though, I agree
    !

PS. Is that a tat of a pair of cobras or seahorses on her shoulder :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Dats my cuz and swim coach,aka aquagirl,she has done a few conns,a couple of donadeas as well,she was first burd and 3r overall in lake Zurich ,20 odd kms ,dis year and has booked her spot to go for the Irish record channel crossing next year,her soon to be husband holds it at the mo,,and she mocks wetsuits

That's aquagirl who has been on your log for years?!? Well I never. She is one amazing swimmer, and that photo is one of my favourite sports photos ever- the total joy that says "I won!"

Can't be too much longer before you move camp to Triland Anto, with her as your coach. Although she's dead right to mock wetsuits; we're a bunch of pussies really. Skins swimming is where its at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

ultraman1 wrote: »

That is awesome! I love that all sizes and shapes, young and old did this swim! How cool!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That video is class - sums up everything that is simple, cool, and life-affirming about OW swimming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

EC1000 wrote: »
    One of the things discussed at the TI open forum the other evening was a potential (probable) restriction on representing Ireland at the various championship events. It was suggested that it would be limited to only category 1 racers (under the new racing structures). The aim was to make it more of an achievement rather than just a case of applying. I am not sure it would be in place to have a bearing on the ETU race though.

One of the things discussed......
    People at it mentioned it you mean. Not a chance they will kill the goose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

tunney wrote: »
    One of the things discussed......
    People at it mentioned it you mean. Not a chance they will kill the goose.

It's not TI's goose though. TI don't make a killing on this representation. Its the ETU/ITU that make the money. DOn't see why TI would care. It was Chris Kitchen that bought this up.

Sorry Kurt for the intrusion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

It's not TI's goose though. TI don't make a killing on this representation. Its the ETU/ITU that make the money. DOn't see why TI would care. It was Chris Kitchen that bought this up.

The processing fees..... the new tri suits..... the track suits..... etc etc etc Call me cynical.

Would be great if there was movement in that direction and great that Chris brought this up. I'll put it on the same list as the Level Three coaching course.

Hey no problem. I'm doing damn all training for the rest of the week anyway so there may as well be some discussion...

I entered the application for the ETU race (€20 application fee). There will be a mandatory expensive suit purchase if I get "selected", and thats before the high entry fees, and to say nothing about prices of staying in Geneva...

So why do it? The way I see it, I'm never doing an IM (no interest), so this will be a "razzmatazz" event that the family (kids especially) can come to and hopefully there will be a similar atmosphere to when an IM takes over a town for the weekend. I don't for a second think I'll be representing Ireland, although that story might get embellished for the grandkids. I get intimidated at races by people in Ireland trisuits, the same way as expensive bikes intimidate me, which is to say not at all any more. Neither are any indicator of talent.

For the vast majority of triathletes I'm sure they know the difference between being selected for Ireland, and signing up for an international AG event. I'm not so sure there's even a problem that needs to be fixed. Limiting the amount of entrants (or setting a minimum standard) would solve what exactly? The likes of a Trevor Woods competing in a ETU race is going to unaffected if there are 2 or 22 other green suits also competing in the race. Performance is dictated by achievement one way or the other. If someone (like me) squeezes into the last remaining AG spot, and gives it their best race on the day, what else matters?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Hey no problem. I'm doing damn all training for the rest of the week anyway so there may as well be some discussion...

end of season break? hope it's not hurt you are?

For the vast majority of triathletes I'm sure they know the difference between being selected for Ireland, and signing up for an international AG event. I'm not so sure there's even a problem that needs to be fixed. Limiting the amount of entrants (or setting a minimum standard) would solve what exactly? The likes of a Trevor Woods competing in a ETU race is going to unaffected if there are 2 or 22 other green suits also competing in the race. Performance is dictated by achievement one way or the other. If someone (like me) squeezes into the last remaining AG spot, and gives it their best race on the day, what else matters?

as i understand it, the reason its so open to people further down the field is those higher up don;t want to do it. simply limiting it to D1 doesn't change that, and will likely just mean a bunch of empty slots.

Maybe they should do 1 or 2 paid trips per /ag to entice at least some top folks to enter, then keep the rest as is. that stands to your point as well Kurt, if one of the fast guys is there, what does it matter who lines up beside them unless you;re all out to win it and want to cover the top guy having an issue

mossym wrote: »
    end of season break? hope it's not hurt you are?
    Yeah, end of season break. Had to turn down a Masters swim session last night. Doing very little of anything, its very frustrating (but I guess thats a good sign).
    as i understand it, the reason its so open to people further down the field is those higher up don;t want to do it. simply limiting it to D1 doesn't change that, and will likely just mean a bunch of empty slots.

Maybe they should do 1 or 2 paid trips per /ag to entice at least some top folks to enter, then keep the rest as is. that stands to your point as well Kurt, if one of the fast guys is there, what does it matter who lines up beside them unless you;re all out to win it and want to cover the top guy having an issue

Agree with this, the ones getting ("earning") the top spot(s) should be funded by the tail enders. Although there's an argument that they should all be funding the proper elite Irish racers, in that they are the ones who are genuinely deserving of a green suit.

Thurs Not a Masters Swim

Coach says a couple of weeks off, so I have to take a couple of weeks off. Easy spins, runs, whatever, but nothing hard. And no Masters sessions, as they are hard. So what do I do when I can't train or race? Hit the bottle and the crisp bags. Last night I had two glasses of mediocre Bordeaux, two very mild G&T's, and three bottles of not-yet-matured home brew beer. Partly because I'm deluded in thinking this is make hay while the sun shines; partly because the last few months have been massively stressful in work, and the past week even more so. All good; business is going well, but its a huge stress at times and I blew off last night.

Which meant I was hung over while watching the kids doing their two-hour lesson in the evening. I was doing revision for an upcoming maths exam, and also gazing at stroke techniques from the fishes; but mostly trying to square the circle of a No Masters Training diktat while having my gear just in case. In the end, I changed and got in after the kids had finished, just to clear the hangover. This was the first proper night back for the Masters group, a decent crowd, and a nice set of fast 100's and deckwork on the board... what a dilemma. In the end I gave in and just started.

200 wu
    6*50 (25 kick, 25 swim, 10s rest)
    2 minutes plank
    5*100 off 1:45 (all in under 1:30)
    20*sit-ups, 20*squats

and I left it at that, session half finished and I said my goodbyes.

A couple of pointers:
    1. all the kicks were faster than I've done before. From watching the fish, they kick from their hip, which is kept high, and is a lot more efficient.
    2. 1:30 100's are the norm now, making 1:20's the norm is the goal.
    3. I love the Masters group and the potential it has for generating improvement.
    4. I'm bored of hangovers.
    5. I trust my coach 100%, but I've rested enough now, time to get back at it and start aiming for 2015 goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

"I trust the coach 100%, but I've rested enough..."

Is not trusting the coach 100%

edit... when you're explaining you're losing...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

2 weeks easy stuff prescribed; 2 weeks easy stuff currently underway.

There's a Masters gala in Tallaght tomorrow that I was going to target 1:10 for the 100m (dive start) but it falls within the two week window, so I don't do it. Proper training should resume next week!

Do those galas come up often? Spotted the tallaght one that it was an open swim and would love to try the 100 myself but wouldn't be up to it this weekend. Might pop out tomorrow to have a watch...might get some breast and backstroke tips from watching!

• Advertisement

Do those galas come up often? Spotted the tallaght one that it was an open swim and would love to try the 100 myself but wouldn't be up to it this weekend. Might pop out tomorrow to have a watch...might get some breast and backstroke tips from watching!

There's a few on over the winter... you need to be a member of a Swim Ireland Club. Details here. I've never done any so can't comment on them.

Mon 30 min easy run; 1 hour swim/crossfit

Like a lot of folk around here, its back to training time time. First run in a while, I was off the leash and really had to rein back the pace to keep it easy. 4:57 pace av.

Swim/crossfit in the evening:
    200 free
    10x50 25kick/25fly 10s rest
    10sit ups/10press ups/ 10 squats/ 1min planks (twice)
    1x100 free on 1:30
    1x75 free breathe every 5
    1x50 fly 80% max 20s rest
    1x25 fly 100% max
    Repeat 3 times

I was hurting during the first 10*25 fly. Its a tough stroke to master, if you get it wrong you almost expend more energy. My fly kick is getting better, but its the toughest stroke! Into the crossfit, at least this is getting better, my core in particular has hardened up. The 100 frees all came in 1:25-1:28, but I found the next 75 (breath on 5) after them very hard. Hypoxic is difficult with the heart racing and you want to gasp. The other fly's went ok, although form was less than perfect towards the end;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good swimming

Getting depressed reading this log though. Haven't swam since June and prob another 4 weeks before I can try again. Going to have to learn all over again :cool:

Good swimming

Getting depressed reading this log though. Haven't swam since June and prob another 4 weeks before I can try again. Going to have to learn all over again :cool:

There's got to be some baby floatation device you could tie on and use as a parachute. Or use the nipper as an improvised PB- you'll have to think laterally Mike, now that you'll be swimming for two. Come to think of it, one of the sharks at our local pool has a knee injury, and while the others were swimming lengths, she was banished to the baby pool with a tether... legally that could be considered child-minding...

Best of luck to you and Caz! Exciting times for you both! (Tell her I still have her footprint on my legs from McGrattans Tri-Table shenanagins a year ago:D)

Tue 45 mins turbo

Nothing spectacular; some cadence work, some sprints, some big rings.

To follow on from the parental theme in the post above^ Any parent who has their kids involved in sports will know the pressure that comes as an adult to volunteer and help keep the show on the road. My dad used to help coach when I was a teenager in the athletics club. He was very good at it, especially field events, but as a teenager you see things different, and want to escape your parents. I still remember the look of anger when he discovered some of us 15-year-olds left the long jump final to swallow pints of Furstenburg, served with gusto by the owner of a dive bar in Portlaoise at 2pm in the afternoon...

Today I got my arm twisted to join the swim club committee as their Swim Mark member. This will mean I'll be involved around the pool for at least the next three years, with a view to ensuring the club achieves standards of excellence set by Swim Ireland. In three years time my son will be 15... if I get a whiff of him wasting any talent by leaving club meets to drink pints, there will be war...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Its inevitable that we turn into our parents. A natural law.

Oryx wrote: »
    Its inevitable that we turn into our parents. A natural law.

Circle of Life :)

I remember my mother proudly telling my teenage mates that she was a Yuppie because she liked the Smiths...

At my daughters party I said I liked Babyface by Lady Gaga...

Morto across the ages...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Seen this online earlier and thought it might be of some use to you kurt. Not quite as sophisticated as quinine and tonic water but might help with being the embarrassing parent. Walking around the pool edge, drinking from a jar of pickles before your swim set...... They would end up telling stories about you!

http://blog.trainerroad.com/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Tue 45 mins turbo

Nothing spectacular; some cadence work, some sprints, some big rings.

i'm going to remind you of this post in a few months. :)

• Advertisement

i'm going to remind you of this post in a few months. :)

Yes there seems to be a bit of synchronicity across the training logs at the moment! Remind away, its only the bike, the thing that dries you between the swim and the run ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement