Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard Deviation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

joey100 wrote: »
    Seen this online earlier and thought it might be of some use to you kurt. Not quite as sophisticated as quinine and tonic water but might help with being the embarrassing parent. Walking around the pool edge, drinking from a jar of pickles before your swim set...... They would end up telling stories about you!

http://blog.trainerroad.com/

LOL because nothing says "My Dad's the coolest" like pickle juice running down his hairy chest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    LOL because nothing says "My Dad's the coolest" like pickle juice running down his hairy chest :)

................whilst wearing a tiny pair of speedos..........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

griffin100 wrote: »
    ................whilst wearing a tiny pair of speedos..........

Or really nerdy bermuda shorts with sandals and dark colored socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Circle of Life :)

I remember my mother proudly telling my teenage mates that she was a Yuppie because she liked the Smiths...

At my daughters party I said I liked Babyface by Lady Gaga...

Morto across the ages...

Did they just let you off blathering or did they correct you and say its called Pokerface not babyface

catweazle wrote: »
    Did they just let you off blathering or did they correct you and say its called Pokerface not babyface

thatsthejoke.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

If its any consolation I had to google it myself to confirm my suspicions about the name and I am only in my 40's so you are doing great!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Playing catch up a bit. Why crossfit? Are you doing typical crossfit or just doing it every now and again? In a box or at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Tue 45 mins turbo

Nothing spectacular; some cadence work, some sprints, some big rings.

To follow on from the parental theme in the post above^ Any parent who has their kids involved in sports will know the pressure that comes as an adult to volunteer and help keep the show on the road. My dad used to help coach when I was a teenager in the athletics club. He was very good at it, especially field events, but as a teenager you see things different, and want to escape your parents. I still remember the look of anger when he discovered some of us 15-year-olds left the long jump final to swallow pints of Furstenburg, served with gusto by the owner of a dive bar in Portlaoise at 2pm in the afternoon...

Today I got my arm twisted to join the swim club committee as their Swim Mark member. This will mean I'll be involved around the pool for at least the next three years, with a view to ensuring the club achieves standards of excellence set by Swim Ireland. In three years time my son will be 15... if I get a whiff of him wasting any talent by leaving club meets to drink pints, there will be war...

Yup, I'm now a coach-in-training for Aoibhe's GAA club.

pgibbo wrote: »
    Playing catch up a bit. Why crossfit? Are you doing typical crossfit or just doing it every now and again? In a box or at home?

It's just planks, sit-ups, press-ups, squats. The coach calls it crossfit so I do too. This is interspersed with swimming fast or hypoxic or fly. Maybe the proper term is deckwork, I don't really know, but I find it very useful. I've a core now, for the first time in years, and its something that can be called on as another weapon in the toolbox. I now kick from my core, and the kick is stronger, and even running tonight I used my core to improve form.

So big benefits, although its not really something you can do in the pool by yourself!

tunney wrote: »
    Yup, I'm now a coach-in-training for Aoibhe's GAA club.

Fair play for that. I honestly believe the best thing about Ireland is the amount of great work that is done by volunteers. Sure, the place is endemic with political and financial corruption; there's a pampered State-sponsored handout class; there's rare opportunity for excellence to excel... but one generation can still foster the next. Volunteering to help when it benefits your kids (and others) is what the big picture is really all about. Good luck!

• Advertisement

Wed 2,100 swim; 30 min easy run

200sw,200p,100k
    4x50 des 1-4 on 70 (in 43, 42, 41, 39)
    5x200p steady +15sec (about 1:47 pace)
    4x50 as 25 fast, 25 easy on 70 (in 48,48,47,44)
    200 choice easy

Felt sluggish in the water, there's a bit of a cold in the house. My choice stroke at the end included breaststroke. Usually I'm crap at this, but I've been watching the sharks and how they kick, and I've been doing it wrong. You need to use your kick as a flipper, dolphin style. Big difference!

Run was an easy 30 mins, with 5*(30 sec build, 30 sec easy), overall pace about 5min/km. Felt pretty good, as I mentioned above I engaged the core to make a difference to running form, and it feels like I get more bang for my stride buck when I do so.

Thurs Masters swim 2,200m

200 warm up
    10*50 (25 kick, 25 free, 15 sec)
    Main set, three times below:
    4*25 off 30
    3*50pb off 60 (in 40-45)
    2*75 breath every 7
    100 max (in 1:20, 1:19, 1:19)

I've still got a bit of a cold so found the hypoxic harder than it should be. The 100's were solid efforts, I was targeting 1:18 or better for the last though so I'm a little miffed at that. Nothing teaches you about good and bad form like swimming fast.

Fri 2 hour turbo, easy

Nothing hectic, just spinning away. Had to swap a couple of sessions around as I have the 6k Petrified Forest swim race tomorrow. It'll be the last OW race of the season, and what a great summer its been for OW swimming! Killiney to Bray, a straight tide-assisted wetsuit splash, should be good fun :)

Fantastic that you've got a race tomorrow!!! Best to you...and enjoy!!! :)

Sat Petrified Forest Swim Race 6.43k in 1:38

I wasn't feeling great this morning, so was going to skip this race. But the thoughts of wasting the hefty €40 entry meant I got up and regged nice and early. Perfect sunny morning, sea was calm, we were to follow a route from Killiney beach to Bray harbour, swimming outside bouys placed 2km apart. There was a tidal push, so fast times could be expected. About 75 or so turned up, so at 10am we got into the water and got off. It was warmer than I expected. Out from the shore around the first bouy, then sight for the next bouy... I couldn't see it for the life of me, so just plugged away behind a bunch of swimmers. There were swimmers going a lot wider than we were, an immediate dispersal of any straight line into a wide triangle. I was feeling good, I knew straight away I'd made the right call to do the race.

After a while we hit the 2nd bouy, and I was a good bit to the right of it, so we had to swim at an angle to get around it. I don't know why I didn't spot it until it was about 100m away, the only thing I can think of was it was blocked from my line of sight by safety craft. Anyway, I stopped and studied the path ahead for a while...hmm, couldn't really see any 3rd bouy. So I continued to chase a group of swimmers, and I figured I'd check and rectify when the bouy came into sight. It was a bit haphazard at this stage, as some swimmers started to swim in towards the shore, others swam even further out... hard to know who to chase. In the end I figured I'd go wide, thinking the bouy would be behind safety craft again out there, and anyway they were tracking swimmers so it must be right? Eventually I spotted a round bouy on the horizon, and mentally patted myself on the back, and plugged away towards it. However, I realised upon hitting it it was a lobster pot bouy, so I was now concerned I had gone too wide. I took a point from the distant hills, took a guess where the harbour wall would be (finish line), and made for it.

My stroke was pretty good, a solid pull and glide seems to do the trick in flattish waters. Earlier I had put a gel up my sleeve, so took it now, checked the watch, and had a good look around. I could see a bouy closer to the shore, so I had swam too wide. There were some safety kayaks in there, along with some swimmers, but I was too far out to do anything but correct for a straight line for where I thought the finish would be. Arms were tired with about 1.5km to go, but I kept plugging away. Eventually I came closer to the swimmers who had taken a better line, but rounded the final bouy just behind them. I kicked and gave it what I had, but ran out of rome before the shore. Pity, as there were about 3 or 4 finished just ahead of me. Finished in 21st place, a little disappointed at my sighting errors, but happy with having swam solidly. My Garmin measured 6.43km, so thats a fair bit of excess distance. Looking back down at those still swimming, it was obvious that many were also swimming wildly wide of bouys. It looked as if they too were swimming to lobster pot bouys. They are smaller and a different colour than the race bouys, but we were swimming into the sun so it was hard to judge scale and even colour.

But, a good day out, chatted to quite a few afterwards and everyone seemed happy enough. That's the end of the OW races for 2014, and we were really spoiled this year. Warm waters from early in the season, which continued right through till the start of October, brilliant. I love sea swimming- might even consider moving house so we can be closer to the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

6.34km in 1.40???

Ridiculous advancements in the pool or generous flow?

Confidence level of breaking the hour in a neutral-condition, IM (3.8k)swim?

So many questions, but a stonking time, either way!

Izoard wrote: »
    6.34km in 1.40???

Ridiculous advancements in the pool or generous flow?

Confidence level of breaking the hour in a neutral-condition, IM (3.8k)swim?

So many questions, but a stonking time, either way!

There was a tidal flow. It would have been a different matter going the other way! IM under an hour would be expected, given wetsuit and feet to jump on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Nice way to end the season. I had planned to do this but it clashed with kids swimming, dancing, soccer match and sprocket rocket. I think I need a third parent / au pair.

Speaking of moving closer to the sea you could always decamp the wagon to Courtown for the summer and live / work from there. I know done people who live in dublin who do that every summer.

Sun 63 mins easy run

I thought this was easy pace (going by "pace you can converse at"), but at 5:10/km average, it was probably a bit too fast. Average HR of 157 doesn't lie either- I guess easy runs should be down around the 140 HR mark?

Weekly Summary|Session|Comment

Monday|30 min easy run; 1 hour swim/deckwork|Including fly, hypoxic, fast 100's
    Tuesday|45 min turbo|Easy
    Wednesday|2,100 swim; 30 min easy run|Felt sluggish in the water
    Thursday|Masters swim 2,200m|Including 3*100 max (in 1:20, 1:19, 1:19)
    Friday|2 hour turbo|easy
    Saturday|Petrified Forest Swim Race 6.43k in 1:38|Tide assisted, poor sighting, went way off course and lost a lot of places
    Sunday|12.2 k run|Easy pace
    Week 1 km totals|Swim 12.18k Bike 75k Run 23.31k|Start of a new training block
    This block|Swim 12.18k Bike 75k Run 23.31k

The swim race was actually longer and faster than I previously stated. Results are out- 6 minutes faster would have bought 11 places. No point in moping over it, as sighting and sighting errors are part and parcel of swim races. I'm usually good at sighting, and I realise now that I went into this race mentally under-prepared. I've been studying hard for an exam tomorrow (third exam in 4 weeks!), and hadn't even looked at the route of this race. The reward for this type of preparation is a lesson hard learned.

• Advertisement

Mon 3,000m Masters pool swim

200 free warm up
    10x50 25 kick/ 25 drill choice 10s
    Main set
    4x100 free (pull bouy) on 1:30
    2x200 free on 3:30 (1st 50 and last 25 max)
    16x25 free (odds: B.E.3, Evens: hold ur breathe) 20s
    1x400 free (under 6mins?!?!)
    8x50 25 fly/ 25 free (pull bouy) on 1min
    Swim down
    300 choice

I was pretty tired for this- both the 6k sea race two days ago, and an early start this morning for an exam in Dublin had me drained. However, once you're in the pool with others you feel obligated to push yourself. I led for the 4*100pb, and got 'em all in under 1:30. I only managed 2 of the 8 hypoxic 25 no breaths, had to breath once for 6 of them. The 400 free was an ambitious target given how I felt, but I felt ok for it, besides foot cramps. 1:25 with a comfortable first 100, then I was at 2:59 by 200, tiring for the next 150 before picking it up for the last 50. 6:10 is better than I expected, on tired arms and a tired body. The last 8 fly were ok for the first 15-20m before failing. Fly kick is coming better for me. It's a useful kick to have, mainly to aid your feel for the water.

Tue 46min bike-gym-machine thing

My only training window today was 6-7pm when the kids were at the pool, so I entered the beautiful people domain of the gym to get my scheduled bike done. The machine was surprisingly useful for the main 5*(4min Big Gear, 1 easy), but I looked a sweaty mess without my makeup or muscle shirt. Doubt I'll be let past the doorman again.

Wed 3,000m pool

200sw,200p,100k
    4x50 des 1-4 on 60 (in 45, 43, 40, 39)
    200sw,300sw,400sw all + 20sec
    400p,300p,200p all + 20sec
    sw steady, p mod
    4x50 fast on 60 (in 41, 42, 41, 38)
    200 choice easy

Lately the pull bouy has felt useful- I'm getting more from it than I usually do. Plus, you feel let off the leash once you stop using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done on the last OW swim race. Nice way to bookmark the season end.

Wed PM 8k easy run

I kept the pace down for this (no garmin). Wet, dusk, forest, cold. A great evening for a few k run. 5*30sec build, 30 sec EZ included, going fast enough to startle two deer and get so close I could almost touch them.
    Well done on the last OW swim race. Nice way to bookmark the season end.

Cheers Mike. The distance gave it an "event" sort of feel, and that is indeed the sort of season finale race you want. Lots to improve on for next year too. We're hopefully going to have a 4*100m relays team from the Masters group to target a few galas over the winter. You made huge gains swimming with your group- I'm finding out now its the very best way to get quicker. Nothing pushes you on more than leading out a set you think is beyond your capabilities!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

.....Nothing pushes you on more than leading out a set you think is beyond your capabilities!:)
    The shot of adrenalin when you know you are about to kick off is electric. I'm 4 months out of the water so Ill get to experience that quite often :o

So out of shape I've gone and signed up for lessons!

You're going to be on a relay team??? OMG.....I can't wait to hear ALL about that!!! Relays really are a hoot!! :D

Dory Dory wrote: »
    You're going to be on a relay team??? OMG.....I can't wait to hear ALL about that!!! Relays really are a hoot!! :D

Hopefully... there's three of us guys around 1:15-ish at the moment, and one currently about 1:05 (50 sec in his day). So we won't be making any podiums, but the aim will be to have fun and all get faster!

Hopefully... there's three of us guys around 1:15-ish at the moment, and one currently about 1:05 (50 sec in his day). So we won't be making any podiums, but the aim will be to have fun and all get faster!

You will have a ball!!! You'll have to work on your relay starts! I wonder what leg you'll go on? OMG....this is SO exciting!!! Now you cannot get DQed!!! Those starts are key!!! So exciting..... ;)

• Advertisement

Thurs Masters: Deckwork and 1,900m swim

Warm up
    200 free
    6x50 free 25kick 25drill 10s
    Main set (1 min rest after deckwork; no rest between swims)
    10 push ups/10 sit ups/ 1min planks
    2x50 free on 1min
    2x100 free on 1:35
    15 push ups/15 sit ups/ 1:20 planks
    2x50 free on 55
    2x100 free 1:30
    20 push ups/ 20 sit ups/ 1:40 planks
    2x50 free on 50
    2x100 free on 1:25
    25 push ups/ 25 sit ups/ 2mins planks
    2x50 free on 45
    2x100 free on 1:20
    300 swim down

Hit everything except the last 2min plank (my knee went down a couple of times) and the last 1:20's (was third in the line so could only swim as fast as the guy ahead, in 1:25 both)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement