Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard Deviation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Fri 3,000m pool

200sw,100p,50k
    100sw,200p,300sw,400p
    400sw,300p,200sw,100p
    50k,100p,100sw

all +15s

Average pace for the above about 1:40-1:45.

This morning I got some good news. I had entered the Clogherhead Sprint on 20th September as my final 5th NS race, but it clashed with an exam I need to do for work. I've been doing loads of exams lately (doing a separate degree as well as work-related compliance exams), and figured my workload was too large, no way would I pass the exam on the 20th. However, it would have cost me a fair amount of time and money to defer it, so I took a chance and axed Clougherhead a few days beforehand, and crammed like crazy. Results were out this morning, and I got the required pass I needed. I'm delighted with that, as had I not passed then the Sprint race would have ditched to no avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Hey Kurt, what's your training plans on Sunday morning? I'll be in your area and I wouldn't mind a nice 10k trail to clear the head after a wedding..

Fri PM 10k forest run

3k easy, 4k steady, 3k easy. I'm still picking bugs out of eye's, it was an insect party on the Railway walk.
    BTH wrote: »
    Hey Kurt, what's your training plans on Sunday morning? I'll be in your area and I wouldn't mind a nice 10k trail to clear the head after a wedding..

Where are you, Macreddin? I've a 70min easy run planned Sunday morning, would love to hook up if you're around and show you some nice trails... I'll PM my details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Since I know both of you I've fixed that obvious typo for sundays session below.
    Enjoy ;)
    Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I've a 70min easy run run as hard and as fast as my legs can carry me but still maintain a veneer of 'this is easy for me' ... planned Sunday morning

interested wrote: »
    Since I know both of you I've fixed that obvious typo for sundays session below.
    Enjoy ;)

:D Haha you know us too well! BTH will be out for revenge since I whooped his ass in the CK swim (the rest of the race doesn't count);)

• Advertisement

:D Haha you know us too well! BTH will be out for revenge since I whooped his ass in the CK swim (the rest of the race doesn't count);)

Ill be hungover as fcuk and trying not to puke.

Ill be hungover as fcuk and trying not to puke.

I'm on crutches at the moment meself.

Sat 2:20 turbo

Crap nights sleep had me awake at 4:30, no energy, I think I've got a cold bubbling under. I ditched my planned spin outdoors in favour of a turbo which would be easy to bail on if needed, but in the end the easy pace was manageable.

Sun 11.5k hill run

A great crisp morning for a hill run around Cushbawn, with BTH and Slogger Jogger. The pace was kept nice and handy, lots of chat all the way around, just the ticket to ease our respective mild hangovers. Cushbawn was the route of my first ever hill race, and its a nice tester of a run. I walked up the steepest parts, while mountain goat SJ bounded up them. IMRA winter league beckons for him. A winter of pool and bike training beckons for BTH and myself, but hopefully some more of these hill runs can be included. They're a tonic for the soul.

Weekly Summary|Session|Comment

Monday|3,000m Masters pool swim|Including 400TT in 6:10
    Tuesday|46 min turbo|with 5*(4min Big Gear, 1 easy)
    Wednesday|3,000m pool; 8k easy run|4x50 fast on 60 (in 41, 42, 41, 38
    Thursday|Masters: Deckwork and 1,900m swim|Tough but good
    Friday|3,000m pool;10k forest run|alternating swim/pb; 3k easy,4k steady, 3k easy
    Saturday|2:20 turbo easy|Felt a cold coming on
    Sunday|11.5 k run|Hilly over Cushbawn, easy pace
    Week 2 km totals|Swim 10.9k Bike 85k Run 29.5k|Felt weak towards week end
    This block|Swim 23.08k Bike 160k Run 52.81k

• Advertisement

Cheers for the jog this morning Kurt. Enjoyed it despite the screaming calves and croaky voice :)

My thighs/quads are wrecked from Sunday. Like, getting up out of a chair is a struggle wrecked.

Thanks. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Kurt Godel wrote:
    Sunday 11.5 k run Hilly over Cushbawn, easy pace
    BTH wrote:
    My thighs/quads are wrecked from Sunday. Like, getting up out of a chair is a struggle wrecked.

Do you even run, brah? ;)

Oryx wrote: »
    Do you even run, brah? ;)

It was easy. It was the incline wot done it. Strava says 133m climbed, in Km #5. :eek:

It was easy. It was the incline wot done it. Strava says 133m climbed, in Km #5. :eek:

It was the decline wot done it! Especially for runners not used to running proper hills, the next few days DOMS are brutal. That's very common in hill running- but for some reason you get used to it after a while (or at least your legs do). My legs felt fine the next day (chest felt tight though with a cold...).

Good to meet you for the run, I think we both did an "inverse interested" run and were more than happy to show weakness and walk up Da Big Hill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I'd actually love to hear Slogger Jogger's take on the whole experience with the two of you. ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I'd actually love to hear Slogger Jogger's take on the whole experience with the two of you. ;)

Probably knocked out by the smell of Guinness off me. :)

Dory Dory wrote: »

Lets put it like this... we were to going up that hill, as Mick would be to a pool. And vice versa!

Tue 50 min turbo; 2,500m pool

Turbo:
    5 easy
    4x(1 HC, 30sec easy)
    4x(30sec build, 30sec easy)
    6x(4 BG steady, 1 easy)
    5x(10sec sprint, 50 sec easy)
    5 easy

Swim:
    100sw,100p,100k
    2x300p + 20sec easy
    4x200sw + 15s easy
    4x100p + 15s mod
    4x50sw fast + 15s
    200 choiceeasy

I didn't feel good yesterday, like I had a cold coming on so I didn't train. Felt better today alright, the legs felt strong on the turbo. Decent swim, happy enough with my catch using the pb. I'm wary of becoming over reliant on it though- not something I want to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

A lovely morning for a run. KG asked me to ease back the pace at some point. I guess he was concerned that BTH might blow up on the first moderate incline due to the late night after the wedding. Nothing to do with KGs late of recent hill practice I'm sure. As the incline grew and it got to the stage where you were better off looking at your feet and not the trail rising ahead the guys jointly agreed to march in unison, almost like they had a pact made :-) Mind you they made good time and arrived at the summit just after me. The 6k or so downhill from there was a nice saunter for all and just what the doctor ordered. A very nice run in good company.

• Advertisement

Thank you Mick. Yes, I was concerned for BTH alright. That concern manifested itself in my beginning to walk long before he did, in the hope he would join me and alleviate any hungoveredness. I'm so unselfish :)

But a good run alright, these hills are magic! Maybe we'll try and organise another hilly winter Tri-forum Shin-Dig in a couple of months.

What the f*ck has happened to our little sister forum over at Athletics/Running? A writer has been posing as a coach for the past few months and has been posting made-up training terms. This has duped quite a few, who have benefitted from the training (I think?), but pissed off an awful lot more, who have called him out as a fraud, in increasingly acrimonious terms. This has led to many bans, and now posters have left Boards because of it, including the best ever poster on the A/R forum, ecoli.

I guess online forums are what you make of 'em, and I shouldn't really expect any more; but right at the moment I feel sorry for anyone who was taken in thinking they were legitimately getting running advice. I'm also really, really glad we have our own little forum here where people sometimes take the p*ss out of each other, but there's never been intention to deceive. In general the vast majority of the people that post here are genuine.

WTF?

^^^ So that's what happened?? (still slightly very confused, and don't know all the players other than who's been mentioned on ecoli's log) But what a shame - a huge loss to so many for the valuable (and entertaining) information ecoli provided unselfishly and publicly to all who visited his log. I, for one, can credit him with getting me to a 3:20:60 marathon....he has been a strong, stable and consistent force in my training. Talent in coaching and running ability beyond his years....and he and his log epitomized the best about Boards.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I caught the end of that issue, just today read through a few threads. God I hope ecoli comes back!

Thats the benefit of knowing the real life people behind the avatars in a forum like this. Hopefully it means you dont get an issue like this or at least have the backup of friends if you feel put upon. (Though we are not without sin. Weve lost at least one longstanding poster due to a bust up here)

This is a good reminder that we need to treat this space with respect because of its ability to influence.

Okay....I just spent most of the evening reading that thread that ran ecoli and dr. quirky off, and I am steamed. Deception, was your word that you deleted...but oh-so accurate. And I'll add another word to your deception - needless. And how about another - self-serving. This is a very bad day in the jogging forum. Everyone lost today.

(apologies for my rant, but this really ticks me off)

(oh, and rant over)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

This has led to many bans, and now posters have left Boards because of it, including the best ever poster on the A/R forum, ecoli.

I remember the good oul days when you used to love me like that...you hussy :D but you're right he and krusty would be up the top for sure and hopefully he comes back, we're all allowed at least one reincarnation :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

What the f*ck has happened to our little sister forum over at Athletics/Running? A writer has been posing as a coach for the past few months and has been posting made-up training terms. This has duped quite a few, who have benefitted from the training (I think?), but pissed off an awful lot more, who have called him out as a fraud, in increasingly acrimonious terms. This has led to many bans, and now posters have left Boards because of it, including the best ever poster on the A/R forum, ecoli.

I guess online forums are what you make of 'em, and I shouldn't really expect any more; but right at the moment I feel sorry for anyone who was taken in thinking they were legitimately getting running advice. I'm also really, really glad we have our own little forum here where people sometimes take the p*ss out of each other, but there's never been intention to deceive. In general the vast majority of the people that post here are genuine.

WTF?

wtf is right. I haven't been following for a while so its a confusing picture. online life is one thing but until you connect up with people in real life how do you know what is real and what is made up. sad...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Can't believe I missed it all. Had been wondering what was going on with Dr Q...remember reading Stazza's log a log at the start and just having no interest and not getting why...now I know...

• Advertisement

I remember the good oul days when you used to love me like that...you hussy :D but you're right he and krusty would be up the top for sure and hopefully he comes back, we're all allowed at least one reincarnation :D

Haha Mr. 1,000miles-Race Rating-Calendar-Meetups-TrainingComparison-ToadRimmer returns!:D

Good to see you Tri-curious Dave;). Indeed, anyone who moderates around here has had an interest in talking shop, and that quickly gets eroded by the background crap. However, one is still attached to your baby, however silly that sounds. I really like the Tri forum at the moment- its small enough in that its personal, like the running forum was a few years ago. This'll change too, but by that stage I'll be over on the swim forum, and there's always the free-diving forum after that:D I'd say the A/R forum will emerge better for this round of introspection.

Must catch up for a run one of these days, you were always my favourite:D It's all about the cranky reincarnation;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement