Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard Deviation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Can't believe I missed it all. Had been wondering what was going on with Dr Q...remember reading Stazza's log a log at the start and just having no interest and not getting why...now I know...

I found it interesting in a theatrical way at first- different in that it was wordy. However it very soon tripped up over deleted posts from my daughter/coworker/hacker who took over my Boards account... thats always a red flag. To be wordy and negative... well that just tends to turn more people off wordy posters, so f*ck you very much and exit stage left please...

(And did you really position yourself as the best ever female poster on that forum?!? Jeez Meabh, certainly the hottest, but never close to the best...);)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You really need to stop lying to people and telling them they're your favourite. We all know I was always top of your list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

You really need to stop lying to people and telling them they're your favourite. We all know I was always top of your list.

Obviously KG is free and easy with his fav boardsies #. I'm sure it used to be me. Goes off for a sob...

#no more dinners for you kg ;-)

Obviously KG is free and easy with his fav boardsies #. I'm sure it used to be me. Goes off for a sob...

#no more dinners for you kg ;-)

Mick if the criterion is cooking great starters involving scallops and black pudding then my favourite is you.

If it involves running around Marlay Park with good vibes then its Letyourselfgo.

If it involves making myself feel better by comparison running up a steep hill then its BTH.

If it involves making myself feel better by sitting in the company of a cute girl 50 years younger then its RQ.

Fickle like the wind :)

should have been a politician :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Mick if the criterion is cooking great starters involving scallops and black pudding then my favourite is you.

If it involves running around Marlay Park with good vibes then its Letyourselfgo.

If it involves making myself feel better by comparison running up a steep hill then its BTH.

If it involves making myself feel better by sitting in the company of a cute girl 50 years younger then its RQ.

Fickle like the wind :)

The diplomacy skills on him. I'm starting a Kurt for AR mod campaign immediately

Thurs 45 min treadmill, 1,200m aborted swim

I've not been feeling well this week, general dizzyness, not sleeping well, cold sweats at weird times... work has been extremely busy so I've been putting it down to stress, but typically not doing anything about that stress. I had an easy 45 min jog yesterday scheduled, I skipped it, but was full of guilt today and tried to buy back the session. In Arklow, while the kids were in the pool, I ran on the treadmill for 45 mins. It's boring, but I tried to make use out of it, so ran barefoot and focussed on technique. Seemed to pass the time ok.

Then into the pool, which I was secretly dreading. I didn't have much energy getting in, considered bailing, but as K said to me "sure we say the same thing every week" and he's right. I figured I'd feel better if I just started the session. The first part was 10*(25 kick, 25 drill, 25 swim, 15 sec rest), and I gave a decent showing for the kicks, happy enough with that. Next into 10*(15 max, 10 easy, 20 sec rest), and I was enjoying the sprints. I figured I'd be fine for the rest of the session. First set was (100pb off 1:30; 4*25 des kick 20 sec rest). I felt good for the first two lengths of the fast 100, but then just lost all my energy, and finished beat. I could feel a cold sweat on my brow. I did the next 4 kicks, but knew I had overcooked myself, felt weak, tight in the chest (I'm not worried about heart though), and generally that strange tired that doesn't feel right. So I bailed the rest of the session and came home.

I'll probably take a couple of days off and beat this thing before I train hard again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Thurs 45 min treadmill, 1,200m aborted swim

I've not been feeling well this week, general dizzyness, not sleeping well, cold sweats at weird times... work has been extremely busy so I've been putting it down to stress, but typically not doing anything about that stress. I had an easy 45 min jog yesterday scheduled, I skipped it, but was full of guilt today and tried to buy back the session. In Arklow, while the kids were in the pool, I ran on the treadmill for 45 mins. It's boring, but I tried to make use out of it, so ran barefoot and focussed on technique. Seemed to pass the time ok.

Then into the pool, which I was secretly dreading. I didn't have much energy getting in, considered bailing, but as K said to me "sure we say the same thing every week" and he's right. I figured I'd feel better if I just started the session. The first part was 10*(25 kick, 25 drill, 25 swim, 15 sec rest), and I gave a decent showing for the kicks, happy enough with that. Next into 10*(15 max, 10 easy, 20 sec rest), and I was enjoying the sprints. I figured I'd be fine for the rest of the session. First set was (100pb off 1:30; 4*25 des kick 20 sec rest). I felt good for the first two lengths of the fast 100, but then just lost all my energy, and finished beat. I could feel a cold sweat on my brow. I did the next 4 kicks, but knew I had overcooked myself, felt weak, tight in the chest (I'm not worried about heart though), and generally that strange tired that doesn't feel right. So I bailed the rest of the session and came home.

I'll probably take a couple of days off and beat this thing before I train hard again.

Stress is a b1tch. I always find something easy and scenic on the bike helps!

tunney wrote: »
    Stress is a b1tch. I always find something easy and scenic on the bike helps!

Yeah stress is what the word says. Like an elastic band, you stress it and stress it and think it will go on forever, until it snaps. The training has been going fine, in fact thats been an outlet from business stuff. Usually I can wash it all off in the pool or sea.

I'll look up something long and easy on the bike for this weekend :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

I'll look up something long and easy on the bike for this weekend :)

bring someone along and stop for coffee somewhere with a view. mid cycle chats over a coffee are one of the nicest things about being out on the bike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

mossym wrote: »
    bring someone along and stop for coffee somewhere with a view. mid cycle chats over a coffee are one of the nicest things about being out on the bike

amen to that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Really? Not something I've ever done

pgibbo wrote: »

bring the bike down my direction some weekend and we'll go for a spin, coffee while looking out over the lake on a nice cool autumn winters morning will convince you of the benefits:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Nice thing to do on a relaxed spin over the winter. Used to do a stop in Moycullen when out that side or Ballyvaughan in the summer for coffee and a scone with Mrs AKW (on that rare occasion when we get out)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Ya I know :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

bring the bike down my direction some weekend and we'll go for a spin, coffee while looking out over the lake on a nice cool autumn winters morning will convince you of the benefits:)

Whilst holding hands and whispering sweet nothings to each other...Mossym you old romantic!

Whilst holding hands and whispering sweet nothings to each other...Mossym you old romantic!

don't be painting me in that light now, the bunch heading to ballyhoura on Sunday will be getting the completely wrong idea

Sun 2:55 bike spin (67.17k)

I did nothing since Thursday, tried to get my mind back and rested. Busy day Fri, woke up early on Saturday and figured I'd just get an hour of sorting my desk done... 6:30pm that evening I exited the office. There are drawbacks to working from home!

Anyway, an early night last night and I got up to join the lads for a spin. Roadie was punctured, so I grabbed the TT off the turbo and headed to Tinahely, getting there at 9:10, and no sign of the lads. Took a gamble on which road they might have taken, and luckily caught up with them after 30 minutes, just as they hit a juction I would have turned differently at. Lucky, because I'd have done a much shorter spin otherwise. We headed over towards Aughavannagh and then up the Sliabh Mann climb, and down into Glenmalure. I was grabbing the brakes all the way down, as the deep rims were being awkward to control in the wind! Two of them headed over the Shay Elliott but I decided against, and came back via Clash, Aughrim, and home. There was a fierce headwind to battle coming back, but its all good fun. Glad I did the spin, the company made it enjoyable, and stress levels are certainly better!

Weekly Summary|Session|Comment

Monday|Nothing|Felt like I had a cold
    Tuesday|50 min turbo; 2,500m pool|with 6*(4min Big Gear, 1 easy); pb and swim
    Wednesday|Nothing|
    Thursday|45 min treadmill, 1,200m aborted swim|Barefoot treaddie; felt weak during swim
    Friday|Nothing|
    Saturday|Nothing|
    Sunday|2:55 bike spin (67.17k)|easy over Sliabh Mann, pretty windy out
    Week 3 km totals|Swim 3.7k Bike 110k Run 8k|No strength this week, pretty stressed
    This block|Swim 26.78k Bike 270k Run 60.81k

Worst week in a while, glad its over. The bike on Sunday helped brighten the mood.

Mon 3,000m Masters

100m warm up
    10*50 (25 kick, 25 swim, 10sec rest)
    5*200m off 3:30, target in 3:00 (in 2:53, 2:59, 3:00, 3:05, 3:09)
    2 mins rest
    4*200m off 3:30, target in 3:00 (in 3:00, 3:05, 3:10, 3:14)
    2 mins rest
    200m off 3:30, target in 3:00 (in 3:08)
    400m swim down

The main set was scheduled as 10 off 3:30, but the pace was a little hot for myself and K. One thing these Masters sessions are great for though, is pushing you along. I was fit to bail after 4 of them, but the extra rests and slight easing of pace helped. Doing 200's at this pace is useful for finding out how to maintain a fast pace when form starts to slip. You need to keep form no matter what, and swimming fast is the way to learn what good form is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

/\/\/\
    Great session. Well done hanging in there

Its going to take me months to get back to anywhere near that form :rolleyes:

Starting in 2 weeks. General public lessons in a 25m pool. I actually can't wait but I'll likely have to band my ankles.

/\/\/\
    Great session. Well done hanging in there

Its going to take me months to get back to anywhere near that form :rolleyes:

Starting in 2 weeks. General public lessons in a 25m pool. I actually can't wait but I'll likely have to band my ankles.

All of my comments after these Masters sessions could have taken direct from your log when you were swimming with your group of fish. Masters sessions with sharks get you to places you never think possible. You'll be back to your old standard pretty quick, I guarantee it.

Band on the ankles... can you tumble turn? It'd be slow touch turning with the band I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Recovering from bad ankle sprain. I won't be able to kick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

You can flip with bands. :)

There's a profile on my favourite recreational mathematician, Martin Gardner, on the BBC website. How many of the first three puzzles can you answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

2, shouldve got the first one given previous profession, id say its an interesting article, must read it later

Wed 56 mins easy turbo

Fri 7.41k easy run, 45 mins turbo

Very busy week, and I missed a Masters swim session yesterday. Couldn't be helped, I had a meeting late in the evening. A very busy couple of weeks, luckily the coach has scheduled a down week. I'm starting to feel over whatever had me tired- whether thats down to the cold bug leaving the house, or finishing this block of work, I don't know, but things are looking up.

Sat 2 hour turbo

Easy pace, just spinning.

My kids swimming club, Asgard, got awarded the Swim Ireland ClubMark award this morning, the first club in the country to be awarded it twice. Its an achievement to recognise strong development policies and excellence in the clubs. I've just been appointed to the Committee as ClubMark Officer for the next 3 years, so I've a tough act to follow, but its a great club to help out with. It was fantastic to see so many eager young swimmers at this mornings photoshoot, some of whom are aiming for Olympic qualifying standards over the next 18 months.

You just can't help yourself joining committees. Fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Wait a minute....are you pacing????? :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement