Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard Deviation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Wait a minute....are you pacing????? :eek:

Yes, one of the 4:20 pacers canceled yesterday morning so I had to pace. I figured I had an exit at 21k and 32k. Felt ok at 13 so kept going, still felt ok at 32 do decided to just add on another mile marker and see how I felt, but one of the other pacers dropped out then. The last 10k were tough enough, and my legs are going to feel wrecked tomorrow! In 4:19:59 ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Good pacing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Kurt saved the day!!! Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great running Mr. super-sub. When does your training start for your pacing duties ;)

Nice race today from the Gap pub. A trail out and back in your old haunting ground.

Yes I'm a god amongst men :)

Mon 42k run 4:19:52
    I've organised the pacers for the Dublin marathon for the last 5 years- can't remember why I initially offered, but they are a good crowd and so I keep coming back. It'll probably be my last year as its an awful lot of work, though. Lots of hand-holding with some pacers. Most are grand though. Anyway, We had entered everyone, including subs, and used a few subs in the interim, but I got a call yesterday that one of the 4:20 pacers had food poisoning. Feck, I was the last slow sub (asked a faster guy but he said his knees would be wrecked at that slow pace, and I agree with him). Meal last night, obligitory Fleurie, and a few pints back at the bar. I didn't sleep great. Up early, a nice dirty fry breakfast of champions, and down to the start. I had intended pulling out at either 21k or 32k, there were two other pacers anyway.

We started on the new route which personally I liked, up past my old Alma Mater the NCAD, past Christchurch, then down onto the quays along the Liffey. This brought back great memories of the recent Liffey swim. The pace was fine, a big bunch behind us, not a huge amount of congestion. Then into the Park along Chesterfield, and the wind made itself known to our flags. Out around Castleknock, and this was a fast downhill section. We made an easy 30 seconds here, which I knew would be given back later.

The rest of the course was the same as before, but with about 3km added on. Personally I liked this- hitting Halfway before usual, all those familiar drags from Crumlin to Templeogue were later in the race. I kept going after 21k, felt good. It was hot, humid, and windy, but I soaked my buff at every opportunity and that seemed to make a difference. The gang with us was starting to thin out, and we encountered a lot of congestion from earlier waves. If there were two or more people walking side-by-side in the middle of the road I made sure to bash through them. No other way to do it, as most of the time these sort wore headphones. At 32k I started to think I should drop out soon, but I was told one of the other pacers had just dropped out before I had my chance. Barsteward knew I had no runs of longer than 5-8km under my belt. I just figured I'd run to each of the next few mile markers and see how it went. Again, it helped that these familiar roads were now 3k later than usual. I was hurting from 35k to finish, and the congestion was horrendous, but I managed to make it home just under my goal time. We took quite a few under with us, but not in an organised pack. Straight away after finishing I felt bad- you can't put 42k in untrained legs without some negative result. The hobble back to the hotel took forever, but once I lay down a while and got a recovery drink, things were better.

Saw lots from Boards out there, including Jackyback at 40km who seemed surprised (to say the least;)) that I was still moving! Had a quick couple of scoops in McGrattans, but its all marathon talk and thats not my thing anymore really. At 7:30 I texted the swim coach to sheepishly tell him I'd miss tonights Masters session- but it turns out the pool was closed anyway for the Bank Holiday, so thats a result! Lets see how I feel tomorrow morning getting out of bed:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Fecks sake, does no one around here train for long distance events any more.
    Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Lets see how I feel tomorrow morning getting out of bed:)

I think we all know the answer to that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

griffin100 wrote: »
    Fecks sake, does no one around here train for long distance events any more.
    :
    Does a 72 HR event count :P

Great Job organising the pacers again KG and chipping in yourself! Well done today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

You looked remarkably comfortable at mile 25 hence my surprise. That 2 day marathon training plan seems to work well for you!:)

Tue 1,600m swim

Well my legs refused to work as expected today, they were lifted out from the bed and carried me around like stilts today. I got in a swim in the evening and the water did its usual healing stuff. Drills and swim, about 2:00 pace but I wasn't really concerned about pace, recovery was what this swim was about.

Then to Dublin for a wedding, and dragged up to the dancefloor. My disco moves are robotic at the best of times... think the missus enjoyed watching me wince as I shaked my moneymaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

One brave nut. Can't imagine running 42.195 without any long runs. Your turbos were your saviour.
    Brilliant pacing work last 5 years. Thanks KG.

• Advertisement

Wed 60 min easy turbo

Legs are still still, but getting better. I had a TT scheduled today and felt the fear. When my hand was forced to complete the marathon, two thoughts crossed my mind;
    1. It would feck up my scheduled pool session (thankfully cancelled anyway)
    2. The coach would tell me to sling my hook, if I was going to run a marathon untrained, with no long runs, overweight. For some reason he let me away with it :)

Recovery week now, and then start to focus. The goal over the next few days is to get some normality back in the legs.

Hey there!! :) Now that you have a coach, what are your goals??

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hey there!! :) Now that you have a coach, what are your goals??

(Assuming I get an AG entry)

ETU Triathlon Championships
    Race venue: Geneva
    Race date: 9th - 12th July

Mainly because I want a "razzmatazz" event the family can spectate at, where I'm not fretting that the swim might be cancelled. Maybe even, glory be, non-wetsuit:)

After that, NS series. Basically I want to improve the swim, and get the bike and run to where my swim is now. And aquathlons and OW races and have fun while challenging myself :)

(Assuming I get an AG entry)

ETU Triathlon Championships
    Race venue: Geneva
    Race date: 9th - 12th July

Mainly because I want a "razzmatazz" event the family can spectate at, where I'm not fretting that the swim might be cancelled. Maybe even, glory be, non-wetsuit:)

After that, NS series. Basically I want to improve the swim, and get the bike and run to where my swim is now. And aquathlons and OW races and have fun while challenging myself :)

Love your clarity - good for you!! And razzmatazz.....I've read of that very recently. ;)

Thurs 1,800m Masters swim session

200 warm up
    8*50 (25 kick, 25 pb, 10sec)
    2*100 off 1:30
    2*100 off 2:00
    2*100 off 1:25 (only did 100, rest 50, swim 50)
    2*100 off 1:20 (only did 100, rest 50, swim 50)
    2*100 off 1:25 (only did 100)

Bailed the rest as I was coughing throughout. Think my lungs are sensitive after Monday. Legs felt okay though. I didn't hit the 1:20 time, that would have been pushing it too far too soon.

Week 4 Summary|Session|Comment

Monday|3,000m Masters|10*200 off 3:30, target in 3:00
    Tuesday||
    Wednesday|56min easy turbo|
    Thursday||
    Friday|7.41 easy run; 45 mins turbo|
    Saturday|2 hour turbo|
    Sunday||
    Week 4 km totals|Swim 3k Bike 95k Run 7.41k|Really busy work week, bad training week
    This block|Swim 29.78k Bike 365k Run 68.22k

Week 5 Summary|Session|Comment

Monday|42k DM 4:20|easy pace throughout
    Tuesday|1,600m swim|2:00 pace, leg loosener
    Wednesday|60min easy turbo|
    Thursday|1,800m Masters|lots of fast 100's, didn't make them all
    Friday|nothing|
    Saturday|55 min turbo|
    Sunday|51.24k bike 27.3kph|Carnew/Tullow back roads, great morning for it
    Week 5 km totals|Swim 3.4k Bike 100k Run 42.2k|Working recovery after the marathon jog
    This block|Swim 33.18k Bike 465k Run 110.42k

I feel good now, body has recovered from Monday's unprepared long run. I've often found that a long run can kick-start run training, so fingers crossed thats the case. Training will start to pick up from here.

Mon 30 min easy run; 1,900m Masters swim session

The run was my first in a week, on a great fresh day in the forest. It was a pleasure, and reminded my of a time hundreds of years ago when I used to enjoy my plods. The legs and muscles seemed ok, no complaints.

Masters swim:
    Warm up
    200 free
    6x50 25kick/ 25 swim choice

Main set (Repeat 4 times):
    4x50 25 fly max/ 25 free easy
    50 sit ups
    1min plank
    1x100 fly pull buoy pace

Swim down

My fly is getting better. Its a tough stroke, it needs to be fast and coordinated to work. A strong dolphin kick is the key, as is snaking your head and butt up and down. The deckwork... my sit-ups are efforts where I hook my feet under a diving block, and lean back 45degrees and back up. Anything more hurts my back, and there is a tangible benefit to the core (albeit not as much as a proper situp). 1 min plank is easy at this stage. Good hard session tonight.

Tue 31.59k bike; 1,800m swim
    10 easy
    5x(30sec build, 30sec easy)
    30 min TT
    5 easy

The TT needs to be on a course that is repeatable, so I extended it slightly to a local 19.7k loop, which has a few hills in it (Coolattin loop). It was a breezy enough day, and I gave it what I had. Took me 38:13, about 20 seconds slower than my pb for the loop.

200sw,200p,100k
    10x50p as 25 fist, 25p fast
    4x200 mod hard on 3:50
    4x50 fast on 66
    100k,100p,100sw

The swim was grabbed in a 40 minute window before the kids started, so I skipped the warm-up. Fist felt good, the swim after each felt even better. 200's were in 3:10-3:20, 50's were in 38-43. I felt good in the water tonight, I think a session of fly puts manners on your overall appreciation for hydrodynamics.

Junior got his 100 down to 1:47, it won't be long now...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Junior got his 100 down to 1:47, it won't be long now...:)

I know how you feel. Shotgun junior isn't fast yet but he can do 100 IM. He is only swimming once a week so as soon as he hooks up with a swim club, that's it!

Interested in how much swimming your kids doing with the club? My older two (9 and 10) got accepted into a club squad a few weeks ago and are doing two swims a week of one hour and two hours, which is about twice what I'm doing!! A two hr session is a lot and towards the end they can struggle if it's been a hard session (as can I given that we have to get up at 5.30am on a Saturday to make this session!!)

• Advertisement

griffin100 wrote: »
    Interested in how much swimming your kids doing with the club? My older two (9 and 10) got accepted into a club squad a few weeks ago and are doing two swims a week of one hour and two hours, which is about twice what I'm doing!! A two hr session is a lot and towards the end they can struggle if it's been a hard session (as can I given that we have to get up at 5.30am on a Saturday to make this session!!)

They'll get used to 2 hours, soon it will seem normal! My two (12 and 10) are doing 2*2hr sessions, and by grud they are worked! Great to see the progress though, and there will be a lot more.

You need to get your arse in gear Griff, they won't look up to you as their aspirational figure for much longer. Four hours a week poolwork for you, because "daddy is training for big boy races";)

But there's nothing prouder than seeing your kids get faster in the pool, great feeling.

Daddy tends to float energetically rather than swim these days.........

It's great to see their swimming develop. Watching a kid do an IM medley or swim a length at a pace that took you two years of training to hit makes you realise how limited you are as an adult learner.

Wed 50 mins EZ ("Entertainment Zone") spinning

Done in between a tough day at work... useless except for the great use of flushing one's mind and one's muscles. Nothing left to flush after that, so all is good, roll on tomorrow.

My daughter had to write a homework story; any topic that interested her. She wanted to do something based on the Jews and the Nazi's in WW2, but said to me she didn't want to start it off with a boring "Once upon a time"; could I help her at all? Not wishing to stifle creativity, I limited my advice to saying a story should have a start, middle, and end, so maybe she should understand the middle, and then decide on how the start should lead up to that. For instance, if the Jews were to fight back against the Nazi's, maybe she should set up a back story to set the scene for antagonism?

I just read her first line- "Rachel screamed in agony to the sounds of her daughter being killed..."

This from a 10-year old!

No doubt she is your daughter! (and that's a compliment!)

My daughter had to write a homework story; any topic that interested her. She wanted to do something based on the Jews and the Nazi's in WW2, but said to me she didn't want to start it off with a boring "Once upon a time"; could I help her at all? Not wishing to stifle creativity, I limited my advice to saying a story should have a start, middle, and end, so maybe she should understand the middle, and then decide on how the start should lead up to that. For instance, if the Jews were to fight back against the Nazi's, maybe she should set up a back story to set the scene for antagonism?

I just read her first line- "Rachel screamed in agony to the sounds of her daughter being killed..."

This from a 10-year old!

Has she read this? My ten year old was really taken with it and it made her ask some tough questions.

Cheers Griff, I'd say that would be right up her alley, I'll order it now.

Thurs 30 min easy run; 50 mins Masters swim/deckwork

Running around Arklow in the wind and rain at nighttime, down along the Avoca river for a while, which is bursting its banks in places. 5*20sec fast pick-ups, good to run in the elements.

Masters:
    200m warm-up
    6*50 as (25kick, 25 drill)
    Main set (I only got two sets done)
    3*50 off 45 (in 39-43)
    20 plank/arm press up (plank position to press up position and back)
    30 squats
    80 sec one arm side plank (40 sec each side)
    3*100 off 1:30 (in 1:23-1:30)
    20 press-ups
    1:45 plank

Had to bail after two sets as the kids were waiting and time moving on. Nothing to do with a hangover after a bottle and a half of Chardonnay last night. Need to curb that crap pronto.

Fri 10k run, including 30min TT

15 mins easy, incl 5*(30 sec build, 30 sec easy)
    30min TT
    5min easy

Bit of a disaster on the TT. I've not run at pace in ages, and so had no idea what pace to set off at. First km was 4:14, breathing heavy, next was 4:22, breathing heavier... I just got slower after that. At the halfway point I wanted to drop out, lied to myself to make it to 20mins, then lied to make it to 25mins, then I had to finish. I was wrecked- the pace average is an embarrassing 4:33, but I couldn't go any faster, it felt like race pace. It can only get better from here, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Join me on Community field some evening when you are not swimming (which isn't many day's;) Tuesdays with Pilates (hint!). Sub 4:30 pace, no messing :)
    Fri 10k run, including 30min TT

15 mins easy, incl 5*(30 sec build, 30 sec easy)
    30min TT
    5min easy

Bit of a disaster on the TT. I've not run at pace in ages, and so had no idea what pace to set off at. First km was 4:14, breathing heavy, next was 4:22, breathing heavier... I just got slower after that. At the halfway point I wanted to drop out, lied to myself to make it to 20mins, then lied to make it to 25mins, then I had to finish. I was wrecked- the pace average is an embarrassing 4:33, but I couldn't go any faster, it felt like race pace. It can only get better from here, I suppose.

• Advertisement

Join me on Community field some evening when you are not swimming (which isn't many day's;) Tuesdays with Pilates (hint!). Sub 4:30 pace, no messing :)

Tuesdays the kids swim!:D But thats a good offer Mick, I was dreading doing the TT today, was just thinking how easier it would have been a couple of years back if there was you or PN there to push the pace along. I'll certainly take you up on that offer, you are running well at the moment, I need to run with lads like you to make improvement. Its a lot harder to slow down when you have to save face!:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement