Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard Deviation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Week 6 Summary|Session|Comment

Monday|30 min easy run; 1,900m Masters swim session |fly and deckwork
    Tuesday|31.59k bike; 1,800m swim|Bike TT Coolattin loop 38:13
    Wednesday|50min easy turbo|
    Thursday|30 min easy run; 50 mins Masters swim/deckwork|lots of fast 100's
    Friday|10k run, including 30min TT|Started off 4:13 pace and died soon after, wrecked during the whole run, flogged myself for a 4:33 average:confused:
    Saturday|2:37 turbo|easy spinning
    Sunday|nothing|Felt zapped of energy all day
    Week 6 km totals|Swim 5.1k Bike 116.59k Run 20k|Didn't feel great energy wise towards the end of the week
    This block|Swim 38.28k Bike 581.59k Run 130.42k

Mon 2,300 Masters swim

400m warm up
    6*50 (25 fly, 25 swim, 15sec rest)
    200 off 3:00 (in 3:05)
    200 off 3:30
    1 min rest
    200 off 2:55 (in 3:15)
    1 min rest
    200 off 2:50 (100 in 1:30, bailed 50, swam 50)
    1 min rest
    200 off 2:45 (100 in 1:30, bailed 50, swam 50)
    1 min rest
    100m swim down

Felt like I was putting in the effort, but the times were way off. No energy tonight. Very frustrating, but I guess that run on Friday must have knocked the stuffing out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

When you miss the RT for the 200 off 3, do you just keep plugging away or take a breather?

When you miss the RT for the 200 off 3, do you just keep plugging away or take a breather?

Just kept going (so the first 400 was about 3:05+3:25=6:30).

I think the problem is current work stress- I had a think about things after the swim and will try a new outlook. A healthy mind is as important as a healthy body, the two are connected, so I need some perspective at the moment. Getting into the pool stressed out and generally work-pressured isn't useful to a good swim. The pool has always been a place where worries wash away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

So, what have you learned about what you love? How will this change your approach?

• Advertisement

So, what have you learned about what you love? How will this change your approach?

Office shuts down at 5:00pm from now (I work from home so often work after dinner too), and work stays behind the closed door. Better time management in work will lead to better times in the pool (which will lead to better times in work...).

Also, wine and beer are crap ways to deal with stress, so they're knocked on the head until Xmas at least. The best way to deal with stress is not to let it build up.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Also, wine and beer are crap ways to deal with stress,
    This x1000. It only works in the moment and then leaves you less able to cope. Its Christmas for me now, too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Increased cortisone levels from work stress?

One thing i have learnt is that work stresses have a significant impact on training and its not something you would normally pay much attention to. Its hard to believe that a hard and stressful work day could be giving the same level if not more stress/fatigue on the body than a hard turbo or run session.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Increased cortisone levels from work stress?

One thing i have learnt is that work stresses have a significant impact on training and its not something you would normally pay much attention to. Its hard to believe that a hard and stressful work day could be giving the same level if not more stress/fatigue on the body than a hard turbo or run session.

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081013100202AApjgs2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hey Kurt....or shall I call you coach? ;) I just got my USA Triathlon newsletter and saw this article and thought of you. One interesting reference is to water polo - and periodically we would play water polo during swim practice, and boy howdy what a workout that was!! A fun diversion, though. :)

http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/multisport-zone/multisport-lab/articles/3-swim-drills-for-open-water-111114.aspx

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hey Kurt....or shall I call you coach? ;) I just got my USA Triathlon newsletter and saw this article and thought of you. One interesting reference is to water polo - and periodically we would play water polo during swim practice, and boy howdy what a workout that was!! A fun diversion, though. :)

http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-multisport/multisport-zone/multisport-lab/articles/3-swim-drills-for-open-water-111114.aspx

Cheers Dory! Looks useful for the winter months (and fun too:)) Coach?!? Ha, I'm just regurgitating stuff you told me a couple of years back, when I thought improvement meant greater distance...

There was a Swim Ireland Water Polo initative last month; free water polo for anyone who wanted to try it out. Unfortunately I was too busy. I was talking to one of the kids coaches about it, he used play for Ireland. Told me one time he saw a goalkeeper from Malta kick himself up out of the pool after a game, so he stood on the deck and walked off. That must take some legs:D

Tue 50 mins turbo; 2,500 pool

5 easy
    4x(1 HC, 30sec easy)
    4x(30sec build, 30sec easy)
    5x(5 steady NC, 1 easy)
    5 easy
    NC = normal cadence

This turbo felt pretty good, nothing strenuous involved which suited me today.

200sw,200p,100k
    10x50p as 25 fist, 25p fast
    10x100 mod hard off 1:45 (in 1:35-1:43)
    4x50 fast on 60 (in 40-45)
    100k,100p,100sw

Felt much better in the water tonight. The coach was just leaving as I got there, he asked to see my set I had stuck to a water bottle. He saw "10*100 off 1:50" and left the pool laughing. Baxtard:D So I did 'em a little quicker, but it felt like a mod hard pace, so all is good. Felt better today all round.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Cheers Dory! Looks useful for the winter months (and fun too:)) Coach?!? Ha, I'm just regurgitating stuff you told me a couple of years back, when I thought improvement meant greater distance...

There was a Swim Ireland Water Polo initative last month; free water polo for anyone who wanted to try it out. Unfortunately I was too busy. I was talking to one of the kids coaches about it, he used play for Ireland. Told me one time he saw a goalkeeper from Malta kick himself up out of the pool after a game, so he stood on the deck and walked off. That must take some legs:D

Oh, you definitely need to experience water polo. Treading water, the scrums...getting pushed under and around....and yes, the legs to propel you up. Serious respect to those athletes!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Oh, you definitely need to experience water polo. Treading water, the scrums...getting pushed under and around....and yes, the legs to propel you up. Serious respect to those athletes!!!

We've done that for 'fun' at some swim sessions. Absolutely nothing fun about it.

Wed 60 mins turbo easy

Thurs Masters swim 2,550m
    200 warmup
    6*50 as (25 kick, 25 drill, 15sec rest)
    2x100 on 1:40
    2x100 on 135
    2x100 on 1:45
    2x100 on 1:30
    2x100 on 1:50
    2x100 on 1:25 (hit 1:27, took 5 secs rest, hit 1:30, took 5 sec)
    2x100 on 1:55
    2x100 on 1:20 (hit 1:29, took 5 secs rest, hit 1:34, took 5 sec)
    2x100 on 2:00
    2x100 on 4:00 MAX (for time) (Dive start, first hit 1:23, 2nd pulled up with cramp after 70m)
    50 swim down (pushed for time)

Watched the kids do their thing (Junior did a 43s 50m, Missy did 49s 50m :)), then into this nice session. Having the reps alternate getting slower/faster was an interesting take on things, I liked this set. Couldn't manage the last fast ones, and am a little disappointed in my overall speed. This would have been manageable a few months back, but hopefully its just a remnant of my recent drop in energy. We'll do the set again in Feb, and I hope to be in shape to hit everything then.

Fri 10k easy run

This was a bit of a mess... I had a 30 min TT scheduled, on the same route as last week. Route was chosen as its a flattish forest trail that should be repeatable conditions for comparing TT's. Slogger Jogger was here for company, which would be great to help with pacing. 5mins easy, then 5 mins with 5*(20sec build, 40 easy), all the while commenting on the swollen river we ran alongside. Now into the TT, I figured I'd aim to start at 4:20 pace for the first half and try and push the pace a little from there. The first km was bang on, 4:21, and its amazing the difference a few seconds can make. Last week I set off at 4:13 pace and soon blew up; now I was looking forward to the remainder, feeling good.

We turned into the lower forest section, crossed the bridge, and came to the first puddle. No problem, there was room on the side to skirt around it. Next puddle was deeper and wider- no choice but to get the feet wet and plough through. No hassle, we did that, and rounded a bend. Another puddle... and a couple with a dog frantically telling us not to go any further. Lightweights, our feet were already wet, and anyway we were on a TT...

Round another bend, and we saw what they were concerned about. The swollen river had burst its banks and had flooded the path. No choice but to run through the 20cm deep flow, and hope it would disappear around the next bend... It didn't, it only got deeper and stronger, until there was no point but to admit we were no longer splashing through puddles, we were running with high knee lifts through a 50cm deep flowing river. After about 600m we came out of it, the TT was useless now. Instead it became an enjoyable easy run, about 10km in all. The TT will have to wait for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Just a puddle he says. Would be grand around the bend he says. :D
    As I said you'd have swum through that water quicker than we ran it.

15601598319_9d615ac657_c.jpg

Path continued like this and deeper for quite a while...
    15167988343_e90a9a9e7d_c.jpg

15602238837_ce057c01d6_c.jpg

Sat 2:45 bike spin

Carnew-Clonegal-Ardattin-Tullow-Coolkenno-Clonmore-Tinahely-Coolboy
    A decent spin between the rain, and after the deluge. I took a mainly backroads route, and there was a lot of flooding and debris on the roads, particularly in low lying sections where rivers had burst their banks. The first hour was mainly decent flat surfaces, but it started to get a bit hillier after that. Didn't push the pace anywhere, this was my first roadie spin in a while.

The club organised Adam Kelly to give a talk on motivation and diet last night. Pretty interesting- the diet stuff especially so. I'll be eating more fresh, organic, local, seasonal food from now. A good rule of thumb he said if your paper recycling pile is larger than your plastic recycling, that's a good thing. Quite timely too; we're off for a meal tonight in Irelands best local food restaurant :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Big chunks of that route were under water yesterday and late last night!! I ran some of it today and it was still drying out is parts.

I do like Sha Roe, must go back soon. Enjoy.

I fully expect you to run to the restaurant and I'll see you there! It is fitting that it is the restaurant at the end of the Wicklow way.

Sun 10k easy run

Great food last night, I highly recommend Sha Roe. It's like having a slice of Bordeaux just down the road.

I could have done without the hell that was the 5 hours in Ikea today, and driving back with a loaded car and watching the setting sun... grabbed my gear as soon as I was back, and hit the Railway Walk. The pace was steady, the evening was sublime, the paths were starting to dry out. I hit the halfway point under a blackening sky, and proceeded to run back in the dark. It was difficult to pick out the path in places, but I had the river running alongside all the way, so became aware of how much we can use our ears for guidance. The last two kilometers were almost total darkness, with bats swooping around for company. Sonar, there's probably an ancient remnant of part-bat DNA that got me back to the car.

You are a brilliant writer.

Week 7 Summary|Session|Comment

Monday|2,300 Masters swim |Fast 200's, missed the times. Frustrated, no energy
    Tuesday|50 mins turbo; 2,500 pool|10x100 mod hard off 1:45 (in 1:35-1:43) felt better in the pool
    Wednesday|60min easy turbo|
    Thursday|Masters swim 2,550m|Couldn't get under 1:25 for the faster 100's
    Friday|10k run|Aborted the TT as the path was flooded, easy run instead
    Saturday|2:45 roadie|easy spin, the roads were in bits after the floods
    Sunday|10k easy run|Half done in the dark, very enjoyable
    Week 6 km totals|Swim 7.35k Bike 110k Run 20k|Felt better as the week went on. Was looking forward to the TT
    This block|Swim 45.63k Bike 691.59k Run 150.42k

You are a brilliant writer.

Haha, thanks Dory, I tend to get a bit lyrical after wild romantic dark evening runs like tonights!

Mon 30 min easy run; Masters swim session

Masters:
    200 warm up

6 sets of:
    5*50pb off 45
    40 sit-ups
    90 sec plank

200 swim down

I liked this session- after a couple of weeks of bad performances in the pool, things clicked tonight. I hate using pb for fast work, but it does teach you to make the most of your catch when travelling at speed. Each set of 50's had a familiar theme: all in 39, 42, 44, 45, 45- but I took two seconds rest between the 45, 45. The sit-ups were fine (I don't go all the way down owing to a bad back), and I made each plank for the 90 seconds. Happy with things tonight.

Tue 10k run including 30 min TT

6.68km for the TT, thats a little better than last time, but still only 4:30/km average. It felt more controlled than last time, but to be honest it felt like I was running faster than that pace. Oh well, must try harder next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

No HR data? Do you run off pace & RPE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Path continued like this and deeper for quite a while...

Good job you'd A5's on. Them holes are great to let the water out!! :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement