Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard Deviation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

pgibbo wrote: »
    No HR data? Do you run off pace & RPE?

I ran off a very tight 50 min window that didn't allow for the Great HR Strap hunt. I'll have to get more organised for things like this- only just managed to get enough charge in my dead garmin for the run.

AKW wrote: »
    Good job you'd A5's on. Them holes are great to let the water out!! :D

Great for getting small stones stuck in them too! What is the purpose of the holes? Very good shoe otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I ran off a very tight 50 min window that didn't allow for the Great HR Strap hunt.

Ha sounds a lot like me, I have a garmin and use a cheap polar for the heart rate, having all 3 in the one place is close to a miracle for me

catweazle wrote: »
    Ha sounds a lot like me, I have a garmin and use a cheap polar for the heart rate, having all 3 in the one place is close to a miracle for me

Yeah I'm only getting used to using a HR strap and its not yet ingrained into the mental kit list. Must try harder.

Tue PM1,800m swim

One long straight swim, the first time I've done something like that in a while. Steady pace, managed to keep form, and win the final 100m imaginary-but-real race with the anonymous guy in the lane beside me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Great for getting small stones stuck in them too! What is the purpose of the holes? Very good shoe otherwise.

Keeps the weight down to a minimum the A6 is lighter again.

• Advertisement

AKW wrote: »
    Keeps the weight down to a minimum the A6 is lighter again.
    Seriously?:D That's nuts, I've talked to quite a few who hate this shoe because it lets stones/twigs/grit in through the sole. Could they not just do away with all shoe fabric for greater weight savings? There's an idea for you AKW, the Saucony "Emperor's New Shoes", 0mm heel drop, 0g weight, €100 from all good sports stores...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Seriously?:D That's nuts, I've talked to quite a few who hate this shoe because it lets stones/twigs/grit in through the sole. Could they not just do away with all shoe fabric for greater weight savings? There's an idea for you AKW, the Saucony "Emperor's New Shoes", 0mm heel drop, 0g weight, €100 from all good sports stores...;)

The Asics DS Racer is the same holy sole for the same reasons. They are racing flats and not aimed at training miles but if they work, who cares about labels.

Actually...

I floated an idea to Saucony a few years back for the 'Moar' or 'Moher' as a triathlon specific shoe [Structure Top Secret]. Picked the name based on the Kinvara / Kilkenny connections and had the marketing plan based around the Cliffs of Moher.

As in "surmount your obstacles, take on a challenge, demand Moher of yourself!" Corny, bejasusenbegorrah, but would sell a packet of them.

Someday I'll have pairs for ye all!! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I like the holes...run through puddles and get your feet soaked :D

Though I wore fastwitch in Donadea a couple of years ago and a stone that got stuck in the groove left me with a big blister because of the holes.

Yeah I get the puddle argument all right, water certainly flows out quickly (mind you it flows in pretty quick too!). But the lighter weight argument... the amount of material taken from the sole is negligible to the overall weight. Certainly its not worth it for someone who runs on trails often- I'm forever taking stones from the soles, and stone mass>sole mass. Might just glue 'em up.

Wed 90 mins easy spinning

Very easy turnover rate.

• Advertisement

Thurs 22k bike; Masters swim & deckwork

Bike:
    5 easy
    4x(1 HC, 30sec easy)
    4x(30sec build, 30sec easy)
    3x(5 steady BG 1 easy)
    Punctured towards the end of the 3rd, biked back standing on the peddles, was meant to do 2 more.

Masters:
    Warm up
    400 free
    6x50 kick/swim choice 10s
    Main set (all free)
    4x50 Tarzan 15s (fc with head above water, very hard)
    20 press ups/20 squats/90s plank
    4x50 fist 15s (these went well)
    4x50 6 kick-switch 15s (side swim arm in front, switch after 6kick- tough)
    4x50 sailboat 15s (board clenched tight between thighs like a rudder, swim free. Great core workout)
    10x50 free on 45s (got to 250m and started to drop a second or two)
    200 choice swim down

In other news; I have answered Ireland's Call and will representing my Country at the European Triathlon Championships. This is an International Championship. I'd like to thank my coach for getting me this far, I know he'll be as excited as I am.

Conversation with my wife:
    Her- So what is it? A Championship?
    Me- Its the European Triathlon Championship.
    -Why on earth did they select you?
    -You had to do 5 NS races and pay €20 to apply.
    -How many get picked?
    -In total?
    -Per country
    -So 20 Irish triathletes will be racing?
    -20 per age group from each country
    -How many age groups are there?
    -About 10 or so
    -Is it some charity fundraiser or what?
    -Feck sake woman, would you ask if the Olympics were for charity?

She hasn't a clue; at least I'm among friends here...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Where is it?

Oryx wrote: »
    Where is it?
    Geneva, in July. We usually go to France around then anyway, so this will be a caravan holiday via Switzerland, Germany and Holland. And hopefully Lake Geneva will be too warm for wetsuits...

Geneva, in July. We usually go to France around then anyway, so this will be a caravan holiday via Switzerland, Germany and Holland. And hopefully Lake Geneva will be too warm for wetsuits...

Sounds blissful. Distance?

Sounds blissful. Distance?

Sprint or Oly, unsure yet. Leaning towards the Sprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Congrats! Will you be issued a trisuit to wear that has your name on it and everything? One piece or two? :D

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Congrats! Will you be issued a trisuit to wear that has your name on it and everything? One piece or two? :D

One piece, cost €90. This is going to get expensive, I'll probably have to look into getting high performance funding from the Sports Council...

Can I pick your brain on that "sailboat" drill we did last night? Board is held tightly between the thighs, buttocks clenched, so the board acts as a rudder. Swim freestyle. Have you ever done it before? The reason I ask, it seemed to me to be a brilliant drill to improve balance and rotation, better than anything I've done before in that respect.

One piece, cost €90. This is going to get expensive, I'll probably have to look into getting high performance funding from the Sports Council...

Can I pick your brain on that "sailboat" drill we did last night? Board is held tightly between the thighs, buttocks clenched, so the board acts as a rudder. Swim freestyle. Have you ever done it before? The reason I ask, it seemed to me to be a brilliant drill to improve balance and rotation, better than anything I've done before in that respect.

I honestly don't believe I've ever done that drill...but I googled it as a reference. Great for the core, as the board works against your rotation. I may have to give it a go myself!! :)

Fri

45 min easy turbo

Pool:
    400 easy
    4*200pb steady, 15 sec rest
    4*100 swim moderate pace, 10 sec
    8*50 alternate hard/easy
    4*100pb mod, 10sec rest
    4*200sw steady

• Advertisement

Sat 14.45k in 5:38 av hilly run

A billion years ago when I started jogging, there was a route I used take up to the top of the hill that makes up the view from the back of our house. There's something very elemental about looking out the window at the hilltop, then running up it, then looking back down at the window you were looking out of 40 minutes ago. I still can't comprehend the temporal aspect of that. Anyway, I ran up it again tonight for the first time in years , and the familiar trails made it seem like yesterday.

Sun 2:57 TTbike spin 24.9km/h average

Tinahely-Shillelagh-Clonegal-Ardattin-Tullow-Clonmore-Tinahely-home. It was a great fresh day for a spin, frosty and crisp at the start, and the first two hours flew by with company. The legs were starting to complain towards the end, but it was an easy enough spin. No water, no brekkie besides a glass of water before I started.

Nice run of training going on here :)

Nice run of training going on here :)

Just following the plan!

Great morning to be out and about the Sunny South East :)

Week 8 Summary|Session|Comment

Monday|30 min easy run; Masters swim session |1900m mainly fast 50pb off 45 & deckwork
    Tuesday|10k run; 1,800m swim|Including 30 min TT (6.68km); steady distance swim
    Wednesday|90min easy turbo|Very easy turnover rate
    Thursday|22k bike; Masters swim & deckwork|punctured bike; very tough swim drills and deck
    Friday|45 min easy turbo; 3,200 swim|Swim alt steady/mod pb/swim
    Saturday|14.45k in 5:38 av hilly run|Lovely evening run up to the top of Hillbrook
    Sunday|2:57 TT bike|24.9kph av, unfueled (73.53km)
    Week 6 km totals|Swim 9.1k Bike 115.53k Run 29.45k|Disappointed with the run TT, but happy with the rest. Swimming is getting sharper
    This block|Swim 54.73k Bike 807.12k Run 179.87k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

What's the thinking behind the unfueled cycle Kurt? I would die without constant fuelling

Solobally8 wrote: »
    What's the thinking behind the unfueled cycle Kurt? I would die without constant fuelling

The idea is you burn more fat efficiently as a fuel source if you are not topping up your carb stores. It seems to have worked for me in the past (distance running). Carbs should be taken during a race, however. I do long bikes on little/no water, and seem to get on ok.

Just dabbling myself in using HR for my long slow runs, and I am impressed at the lack of need for gels or water at proper long slow effort. However, I imagine in hotter temps water will be needed.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Just dabbling myself in using HR for my long slow runs, and I am impressed at the lack of need for gels or water at proper long slow effort. However, I imagine in hotter temps water will be needed.

Absolutely! There is no point in training if your body has bonked through lack of fuel or dehydration. Water especially needs to be taken on when needed (before its needed TBH).

I'm not treating this "running on empty" as an exact science, but I've done long efforts while topping up the carbs, and done them without; and without seems to give a better training boost.

• Advertisement

Mon 23min easy run; 2,800m Masters swim

The run was truncated from 30 mins EZ, as I had to be somewhere. I find myself regimenting time to appalling proportions these days.

200 messing with paddles
    400 free warm up
    10x50 free 25 kick/25 drill 15 sec rest
    10x50 free pull buoy (odds on 45, evens on 1:00)
    Main set
    10x100 free pull buoy + paddles (odds on 1:30, evens on 1:45)
    200 choice swim down

Swim wasn't too tough (coach had to leave), but I found the paddles difficult. I think I'm dropping the elbow in my catch too soon. Hit all the times though, even if we went "off" rather than "on". Don't think it makes much difference to the coach and his whiteboard, if he wants rest he specifies it.

I've been trying to explain breathing to the novices on the beginner swim thread, and it sort of forced me to consider my own breathing. In particular, I think I'm holding too much breath in my lungs, and that leads to gasping. Tonight I experimented with taking on board a lot less oxygen with each breath, just literally sipping some air each time. Seemed to work well, the proof will be how this works over a hard 400m.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement