Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard Deviation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    The idea is you burn more fat efficiently as a fuel source if you are not topping up your carb stores. It seems to have worked for me in the past (distance running). Carbs should be taken during a race, however. I do long bikes on little/no water, and seem to get on ok.

Good to know that this is what you do. Not always appropriate

Did I read you are getting a power meter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

tunney wrote: »
    Good to know that this is what you do. Not always appropriate

Did I read you are getting a power meter?

Its on the van, delivery today. Just in time for a recovery week!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

The idea is you burn more fat efficiently as a fuel source if you are not topping up your carb stores. .

http://www.amazon.com/Well-Built-Triathlete-Turning-Potential-Performance-ebook/dp/B00MX9ZOOS/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1416906681&sr=1-1&keywords=matt+dixon

read this recently. not saying i agree with everything he says, but a lot of it makes sense. one thing that resonated with me was his point about training on empty, he reckoned if you train on empty what you get better at is training on empty.

I've read a bunch of stuff on training fasted, and the reasons for it, but that made more sense to me than a lot of it.

i still do some sessions fasted, some by accident, some by necessity, some by plan. but i'm not sure i'm bought into it as truly beneficial any more

mossym wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.com/Well-Built-Triathlete-Turning-Potential-Performance-ebook/dp/B00MX9ZOOS/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1416906681&sr=1-1&keywords=matt+dixon

read this recently. not saying i agree with everything he says, but a lot of it makes sense. one thing that resonated with me was his point about training on empty, he reckoned if you train on empty what you get better at is training on empty.

I've read a bunch of stuff on training fasted, and the reasons for it, but that made more sense to me than a lot of it.

i still do some sessions fasted, some by accident, some by necessity, some by plan. but i'm not sure i'm bought into it as truly beneficial any more

TBH I probably won't even read that book, just because there is so much conflicting advice around. "Training on empty" to me means training with very low fuel/water sources, and I can see how that could cause damage. I've copious levels of fat to draw from on my long slow plods/spins. I usually bring water/carbs with me on long bikes, its just that I don't usually use much of them. For instance, a couple of months back I did a 5 hour spin on 350ml of water, and thought that was plenty. Letting thirst be my guide for how much water to take on. Solids/carbs, well I know what its like to bonk and that you need to top-up before this happens. I haven't bonked in a while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

TBH I probably won't even read that book, just because there is so much conflicting advice around. "Training on empty" to me means training with very low fuel/water sources, and I can see how that could cause damage. I've copious levels of fat to draw from on my long slow plods/spins. I usually bring water/carbs with me on long bikes, its just that I don't usually use much of them. For instance, a couple of months back I did a 5 hour spin on 350ml of water, and thought that was plenty. Letting thirst be my guide for how much water to take on. Solids/carbs, well I know what its like to bonk and that you need to top-up before this happens. I haven't bonked in a while though.

I think that's the important thing. I had a bad experience when I first started training on empty and since then I always carry fuel as a just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

What power meter have you gone for Kurt?

joey100 wrote: »
    What power meter have you gone for Kurt?

power2max FSA Gossamer- hard to resist at that price new!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

power2max FSA Gossamer- hard to resist at that price new!

No hiding place now, time to suffer like a little piggy:)

Tue 40 min easy bike

Wed Day off. This is an easy week, I miss the training, but its in the plan. Really busy with clients today so probably no harm.

Thurs 45 min run; Master swim 2,600m

The run was in my old NB minimus. I love this shoe, they do so much for form. Easy pace, 5:10/km av, and feeling great.

Masters swim:
    Warm up
    200 free
    6x75 free 25k25d25s 15s
    Main set
    12x150 free
    Odds on 2:15 (hard)
    Evens on 3:00 (pace)
    150 choice swim down

I was on feet for the first fast 150, and it was oh so easy. Different story for the other five, swimming into clear water. Hit 'em all, coming in between 1 and 6 seconds before time, felt good tonight. The slower 150's were highly appreciated:)

Fri 3,000m swim; 45min turbo

4x150sw with 15s - easy
    4x100p with 10s - steady
    4x50k with 10s - hard
    4x150b+b with 15s
    4x50 as 25fast, 25 easy
    4x50 choice easy (paddles, brtstk, fly, paddles)
    400 easy b+b+paddles

Last weeks punctured tube found a new lease of life as band was scheduled. I worked hard on the catch, trying to keep the elbow high as the forearm engages. Kick was hard and strong, a lot stronger than usual. Practice makes perfect here. The 4 25 fast were superfast, once the band came off.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Do you ever use a band without pb?

Oryx wrote: »

Sadist. :pac: That's a real test of a swimmer. My legs drag off the bottom when I try that

pgibbo wrote: »
    Sadist. :pac: That's a real test of a swimmer. My legs drag off the bottom when I try that
    Ive had the joy of doing 8x25 band only for the last 4 weeks.

Oryx wrote: »

I have done- difficult but useful in that it forces you to swim fast. In any case, I don't find the pb hugely beneficial, as I've got a fat ass for buoyancy.

Sat Nothing

Sun 1:45 easy turbo

Saturday was spent 08:00- 19:00 putting down a wooden floor, and boy was I stiff afterwards. So stiff that I gave the scheduled easy run a miss. Sunday was even worse, tight legs and back muscles. I hate to miss two days in a row (even though its an easy week this week), so hopped on the turbo in the evening. Seemed to help matters, legs feel a lot better. The floor looks great by the way ;)

Week 9 Summary|Session|Comment

Monday|23min easy run; 2,800m Masters swim |1:30 pace swim with paddles
    Tuesday|40 min easy bike|
    Wednesday|Off|
    Thursday|45 min run; Master swim 2,600m|enjoyable run; fast 150's
    Friday|3,000m swim; 45min turbo|band
    Saturday|Off|
    Sunday|1:45 turbo|easy
    Week 9 km totals|Swim 8.4k Bike 90k Run 12.6k|Easy week
    This block|Swim 63.13k Bike 897.12k Run 192.47k

Mon 5k run; 2,300m Masters swim and deckwork

The run was a very easy pace. Hamstrings felt very tight starting off, but much better at the end. Done around the mean streets of Arklow.

Masters:
    warm up
    400 free
    6x50 free 25 kick 25 BE7 10s
    main set
    50 push ups/ 50 squats/ 50 sit ups
    free - 50 kick/ 75 pull buoy/ 100 swim
    40 push ups/ 40 squats/ 40 sit ups
    30 push ups/ 30 squats/ 30 sit ups
    20 push ups/ 20 squats/ 20 sit ups
    10 push ups/ 10 squats/ 10 sit ups
    200 choice swim down

What can I say? Arms are hanging off at the moment. The good thing is all the stiff pain in the legs and butt will be drowned out tomorrow by the screaming violence of my poor battered chest, arms, and core.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That's a nasty session alright!

Your masters coach is a sadist who's fond of the Crossfit WODs.

How's the body after it today? If you don't answer we'll assume you're too sore to type :D

pgibbo wrote: »
    Your masters coach is a sadist who's fond of the Crossfit WODs.

How's the body after it today? If you don't answer we'll assume you're too sore to type :D

Oh he's a sadist all right! He does lots of Crossfit himself, and is starting to get swim fit again (he did a recent 1:00 100m and is pissed off that its slow...). Very useful being able to train with guys like him, thats what brings on your game. My arms aren't too bad today, although I've a swim later that I expect to be heavy...

The crossfit is great though, I used never do S&C work, but can feel the benefits every time I swim.

• Advertisement

Tue 2,800m swim; 40min easy run

400sw easy
    2x200p steady with 15s
    4x100sw mod with 15s
    8x50 alt fast/easy
    4x100p mod with 15s
    2x200sw steady with 15s
    400sw easy

This will sound strange... but whenever I do a session with the pb, I always try and improve my feel for the water. Tonight, I decided to embrace the water during the first 200's, literally as if it was female. It felt good, like I was working with the water to get more from my stroke, rather than relying on sheer power as I usually do. The fast 50's felt fantastic, I was swimming high and moving fast. In control. My arms didn't feel as tired as I'd have expected, although the core hurt for each and every tumble turn.

40 mins easy trot around Arklow afterwards, while the kids did their session. 2 hours twice a week, with a 3 minute break in between. These are kids aged 10 years and up; they'd put most of us to shame with their workrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Masters:
    warm up
    400 free
    6x50 free 25 kick 25 BE7 10s
    main set
    50 push ups/ 50 squats/ 50 sit ups
    40 push ups/ 40 squats/ 40 sit ups
    30 push ups/ 30 squats/ 30 sit ups
    20 push ups/ 20 squats/ 20 sit ups
    10 push ups/ 10 squats/ 10 sit ups
    200 choice swim down

WTF :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

^^^ Makes my head hurt. ;)

Embracing the water as if it is female made my mind boggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Just think of the fun questions Kurt's going to have to field if his swim thread catches a whiff of his "embracing the water as if it was a female" concept. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Wed 55 min turbo; 6k easy run

Turbo:
    10 easy
    5x(30sec build, 30sec easy)
    10x(2 HARD, 2 easy)
    5+ easy

The hard bits were done hard, although my max HR was only 159. Its a lot lower on the turbo than when running at the same effort!

Easy run after on a cold sharp evening, felt great, 31:20 for the 6k.

I bought a pair of drag shorts from amazon I thought would be blue... they've just arrived and are bright fuschia pink... don't think I can carry them off...

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

pic? :)

• Advertisement

pic? :)

http://www.proswimwear.co.uk/mens-swimwear/mens-swimming/drag-shorts.html

The Arena ones. They are even pinker in real life!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement