Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard Deviation

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Drag by name, drag by nature!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

have to be very comfortable in yourself to wear them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Oryx wrote: »
    Drag by name, drag by nature!

Classic!:D
    have to be very comfortable in yourself to wear them

I swim at the pool at the same time as my kids- whatever about me testing the limits of my own comfortableness, there's not a chance I'd inflict that on them!

Thurs 50 min turbo; 6k easy run; 2,500m Masters swim session

I tried to put my new PM on the TT bike, but I couldn't get the cranks off. Think I need a crank get-off-er tool, so a visit to CRC.com was in order. In the meantime I hopped on for an easy 50 min window before the phone started burning again for work.

Run was an easy trot around Arklow for the AKW streak.

Masters swim:
    Warm up 300 free
    6x50 drill choice 10s
    Main set
    4x100 free on 1:35 (in 1:25, 1:25, 1:28, 1:28)
    2mins plank
    3x100 free on 1:30 (in 1:25, 1:30)
    2mins plank
    2x100 free on 1:25 (in 1:24, 1:29)
    2mins plank
    1x100 free (under 1:20) (in 1:23)
    2mins plank
    2x100 free on 1:25 (in 1:25, 1:30)
    2mins plank
    3x100 free on 1:30 (in 1:28, skipped 50 with cramp, 1:34)
    2mins plank
    4x100 free on 1:35 (in 1:30, 1:35, 1:40-ish, 1:40-ish. Tired at this stage)
    2mins plank

Probably the toughest session I've done at the pool yet. A couple of months back I couldn't hold plank for more than 20 seconds. Tonight I hit every one of the 2mins. The swims were good starting off, but I was tiring towards the end. Overall this has to be seen as a positive session, and a positive day. Good move not wearing the pink shorts tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

After a set of 100s, you get out of the water and hold a plank for 2 minutes? Am I understanding that correctly?

• Advertisement

zico10 wrote: »
    After a set of 100s, you get out of the water and hold a plank for 2 minutes? Am I understanding that correctly?

Yep, usually 30-45 secs from exiting the water to plank position. And about 30-60 seconds rest after the plank before touching off the next set of reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Yep, usually 30-45 secs from exiting the water to plank position. And about 30-60 seconds rest after the plank before touching off the next set of reps.

Jesus, sooner you than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Masters swim:
    Warm up 300 free
    6x50 drill choice 10s
    Main set
    4x100 free on 1:35 (in 1:25, 1:25, 1:28, 1:28)
    2mins plank
    3x100 free on 1:30 (in 1:25, 1:30)
    2mins plank
    2x100 free on 1:25 (in 1:24, 1:29)
    2mins plank
    1x100 free (under 1:20) (in 1:23)
    2mins plank
    2x100 free on 1:25 (in 1:25, 1:30)
    2mins plank
    3x100 free on 1:30 (in 1:28, skipped 50 with cramp, 1:34)
    2mins plank
    4x100 free on 1:35 (in 1:30, 1:35, 1:40-ish, 1:40-ish. Tired at this stage)
    2mins plank

Jesus :eek: Great session. As if the RTs weren't tough enough, you spent 14 mins planking! 1:30 and under RTs is Shark Zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I swim at the pool at the same time as my kids- whatever about me testing the limits of my own comfortableness, there's not a chance I'd inflict that on them!

Have you asked them??

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Have you asked them??

I modelled the drag shorts before we left for the pool. My daughter gave me a look that said "I'm done with the swim club if you dare turn up in those...";)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I modelled the drag shorts before we left for the pool. My daughter gave me a look that said "I'm done with the swim club if you dare turn up in those...";)

You should have left the stilettos off, I guess

I'm thinking reverse psychology. ;)

But if you're looking for a little drag in the water, I just wear a cotton t-shirt. Cheap, simple, and it works.

(oh, I tend to cut the arms out, so it's like a muscle shirt and screams "bad @ss" all the way! :cool:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

it's like a muscle shirt and screams "bad dumb@ss" all the way! :cool:)

I remember before Arklow was bi-passed, traffic would snail through. The town on a Sunday afternoon sparsely populated, sleepy and quiet but for pockets of mullet clad, sleeveless denim jackets and shirts emblazoning adoration of 'AC/DC' or 'Whitesnake' or similar. Dory strolling about in her t-shirt at her private pool is one thing, Kurt in Arklow another.

Please do understand, my laughter was'nt localised to Arklow (its a really nice town), most towns in Wicklow and elsewhere had these groups at the time - and deep down they probably still do in a modern form (One Direction T-shirts). I laughed at all of them. I found them all equally hilarious.

'Drag' shorts ? just wear 2 or 3 pairs of togs ... or even a pair of tri shorts under your toggs ... but thanks, memories of pre-bipass Arklow made me laugh. And yes, Im sure those who saw me around this time wearing more than one pair of worn out toggs in various states of disintegration laughed long and hard too.

interested wrote: »
    I laughed at all of them. I found them all equally hilarious.

I laughed at them too- from my vastly superior uniform of Doc Martens, Zippy trousers, trenchcoat, backcombed hair, and "woe-is-me" Smiths music.

What you're both telling me is I need to wear my old sleeveless "Frankie Say RELAX" tshirt, with the pink shorts, through the main street of Arklow, if I want to swim faster. Maybe with Oryx's stilettoes for good measure too.

Fri 9.6k run

10 easy
    5x(30sec build, 30sec easy)
    10x(1 HARD, 1 easy)
    5+ easy

The hard minutes felt pretty hard. I like the pain (and recovery) of intervals.

I need to wear my old sleeveless "Frankie Say RELAX" tshirt, with the pink shorts, through the main street of Arklow, if I want to swim faster. Maybe with Oryx's stilettoes for good measure too.

Not sure it'll make you swim faster, but it'll make us laugh alot and thats what key here. Its very likely there's already a parade of this nature through the street(s?) of Arklow Kurt, Id imagine they'd be only too happy to have you join them.
    Enjoy the weekend.

I was actually suggesting he wear it in the pool, not for a stroll about town. ;)

But yes, back in the day I would wear 2 or 3 Speedos in the pool during practice....but we always wore street clothing of some form for a few of the practices in the week prior to All Stars.

I was actually suggesting he wear it in the pool, not for a stroll about town. ;)

But yes, back in the day I would wear 2 or 3 Speedos in the pool during practice....but we always wore street clothing of some form for a few of the practices in the week prior to All Stars.

I think thats fine, the more drag the better but for Kurt wearing his normal work / street clothing might be a step too far. Kurt's clown shoes, pants, jackets etc are fine for work but would be just too heavy for swimming. His 'never ending handkerchief' would in itself be entirely unsuitable. A giant red clown shoe step too far.

Stiletto's, Clown costumes, old Whitesnakes T's... it was easier and more appropriate to just purchase another pair of drag shorts from Wiggle. In hetro blue.

Had to enter the kids for their first NAC gala in a couple of weeks. Missy is doing 50m Breast and Free. Junior is annoyed because there is a qualifying time for his age (12), which he hasn't yet attained (you need to be doing 100free under 1:34). But last night at the pool he was swimming in anger, so hopefully there will be a leap in his progress pretty soon.

Fri PM 2,700 swim

200sw,200p,100k
    4x50 as 25 dr, 25 sw + 15s
    4x50 des 1-4 on 60
    8x150 as 100 mod into 50 fast + 20 sec
    4x50 fast on 60
    200 choice easy

The arms felt tired tonight
    The 4*50 des were in 44, 42, 41, 39
    The 4*50 fast were in 43, 42, 40, 39
    The The are a great band.

• Advertisement

Sat 15.31k hilly mucky run, 5:55/km av

The Hillbrook loop, with a spur onto Annagh Hill. This used be my training ground, but the trails are very stoney now from the 4x4 club that rent the hill. The nature of their ploughing means there are huge puddles in places, so wet feet are the order of the day. Otherwise, an enjoyable enough plod, trying to outrun the onset of darkness.

Run/walk was prescribed, 19:30 run/30sec brisk walk.

Sun 71.94km bike in 2:51

Tinahely-Knockanannagh-Hacketstown-Coolkenno-Clonegal-Carnew-home

Great fresh morning for a spin. The backroads are free of traffic, but not in great shape surface-wise, which slows you down a bit. I was on the TT bike, raised the saddle a cm which made a difference. I'm getting more power from the legs now, I feel. The bike was fitted by Aidan Hammond a while back, but he did say I could experiment with raising the saddle if needed.

PM Easy run, 5.7k in 33:20

Week 10 Summary|Session|Comment

Monday|5k run; 2,300m Masters swim and deckwork |Lots of pushups etc
    Tuesday|2,800m swim; 40min easy run|pb steady/mod pace
    Wednesday|55 min turbo; 6k easy run|including 10*(1min hard, 1 ez)
    Thursday|50 min turbo; 6k easy run; 2,500m Masters swim session|Tough fast swim session, made tougher with 14min plank
    Friday|9.6k run; 2,700 swim|Run 10*(1min hard, 1min ez), pushed the hard bits.
    Saturday|15.31k hilly mucky run, 5:55/km av|Hilly mucky run
    Sunday|71.94km bike in 2:51; easy run 5.7k|Nice long bike on backroads
    Week 10 km totals|Swim 10.3k Bike 114.94k Run 54.41k|Easy week
    This block|Swim 73.43k Bike 1002.06k Run 246.88k

Felt good this week, lots of easy paced runs, with some hard swimming and deckwork. 14 hours total this week, no issues with the increase in volume.

Mon 5.83k run @ 5:19/km av; 2,300 Masters swim

The run felt great, the swim felt terrible.

Warm up
    300 free
    6x50 choice 25k25d 10s

Main set
    4x50 choice on 1min
    1x200 free max on 3mins (in 3:00)
    4x50 choice on 1min
    2x150 free max on 2:15 (in 2:15, 2:20
    4x50 choice on 1 min
    3x100 free max on 1:30 (in 1:25, 1:30, 1:35)
    4x50 choice on 1 min
    10x50 free max on 45 (first few in under 45 but drifted to in 50's by the end)
    4x50 choice on 1 min

No idea what the story was tonight, I was fighting the water all evening with terrible form. To put some context on it, the 4*50's were done at a comfortable pace, and most were in 40 seconds no problem. Yet I couldn't hold that pace for the main sets? Chalk it up to experience.

The coach had a look at my catch after and suggested I was doing a lot of things wrong. Dropping my elbow, keeping the hand flat for too long, then hooking the hand back too far... lots to improve. I tried the new learned catch and things seemed better, if a little alien. It'll take some getting used to, but I'm going to have to work with the water if I want further progress. There's no reason I shouldn't be swimming 100's under 1:10, and 400's under 5:30. I need a quantum leap over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Mon 5.83k run @ 5:19/km av; 2,300 Masters swim

The run felt great, the swim felt terrible.

Warm up
    300 free
    6x50 choice 25k25d 10s

Main set
    4x50 choice on 1min
    1x200 free max on 3mins (in 3:00)
    4x50 choice on 1min
    2x150 free max on 2:15 (in 2:15, 2:20
    4x50 choice on 1 min
    3x100 free max on 1:30 (in 1:25, 1:30, 1:35)
    4x50 choice on 1 min
    10x50 free max on 45 (first few in under 45 but drifted to in 50's by the end)
    4x50 choice on 1 min

No idea what the story was tonight, I was fighting the water all evening with terrible form. To put some context on it, the 4*50's were done at a comfortable pace, and most were in 40 seconds no problem. Yet I couldn't hold that pace for the main sets? Chalk it up to experience.

The coach had a look at my catch after and suggested I was doing a lot of things wrong. Dropping my elbow, keeping the hand flat for too long, then hooking the hand back too far... lots to improve. I tried the new learned catch and things seemed better, if a little alien. It'll take some getting used to, but I'm going to have to work with the water if I want further progress. There's no reason I shouldn't be swimming 100's under 1:10, and 400's under 5:30. I need a quantum leap over the next few months.

I went to my first ever swim gala at the weekend and got to watch 11 year old girls swim sub 1.10 for 100m so it shouldn't be that hard for you :):)

Seriously though, it was awe inspiring to watch these kids swim. 13 and 14 year olds going sub 1 min for 100m with what looked like no effort. Made me feel old and fat, as did watching my 9 and 10 year olds swimming their races at a pace that took me two years of swim training and an IM to train for before I hit the same pace. Makes those 5.30am Saturday morning starts all worthwhile :)

Tue 1,750m swim; 5.86k easy run @ 6min/km average

100sw,100p,100k
    6x50 alt fist/p + 15s
    3x100p + 15s easy
    3x100sw steady + 15s
    6x50 alt fast/easy + 10s
    5x50 alt back/sw + 10s

The run felt laboured, the swim beforehand felt good. I was attempting a new catch and pull, one that rolls the shoulders more, and works them so I can feel the shoulder blades pull together. It's a better stroke, in that my easy pb 100's were coming in around 1:35, and the steady swim 100's in around 1:30ish, without too much effort put in. I followed the blue centre line and tried to keep to a straight line. This entailed keeping my elbow high underwater and so pulling a little wider than usual. I suspect I've been crossing over my pull to date. Lots more to work on, video analysis will hopefully come after Xmas. My shoulders are a little tight now from being worked in a way they aren't used to.

griffin100 wrote: »
    I went to my first ever swim gala at the weekend and got to watch 11 year old girls swim sub 1.10 for 100m so it shouldn't be that hard for you :):)

Seriously though, it was awe inspiring to watch these kids swim. 13 and 14 year olds going sub 1 min for 100m with what looked like no effort. Made me feel old and fat, as did watching my 9 and 10 year olds swimming their races at a pace that took me two years of swim training and an IM to train for before I hit the same pace. Makes those 5.30am Saturday morning starts all worthwhile :)

Live your swim dreams through your kids Griff, I know I intend doing so with mine! Junior is chuffed with a 16sec 25m tonight, the coach reckons he will be fast at putting together sub 1:15 100m pace with some work. Missy said she had no feel for the water tonight, and is disappointed with her 21sec 25m. Her head is all over the place though, once she steadies it she'll see big results.

The couple of hours a week I spend on the deck watching these kids is the best schooling there is. Best of luck to your two, onwards and upwards. I'll probably bump into you at a swim gala soon, we can trade stories over Big Macs and full cream coffees then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

The thing that I really like about swim squad training for my kids is the discipline it teaches them. By that I mean that the coaches voice is law - what he says goes with no back chat :); the training is hard, much harder than any other sport they do; and getting up at 5.30am on a Saturday morning for training is their choice and they can drop out at any time (but to date every 5.30am call has been met with a jump out of bed whereas a 8am call for school is met with groans). Despite all of this the kids love the training, and I mean they LOVE it.......and there are 100 kids in the club who feel the same.

griffin100 wrote: »
    The thing that I really like about swim squad training for my kids is the discipline it teaches them. By that I mean that the coaches voice is law - what he says goes with no back chat :); the training is hard, much harder than any other sport they do; and getting up at 5.30am on a Saturday morning for training is their choice and they can drop out at any time (but to date every 5.30am call has been met with a jump out of bed whereas a 8am call for school is met with groans). Despite all of this the kids love the training, and I mean they LOVE it.......and there are 100 kids in the club who feel the same.

+++++1 !!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Wed 5.78k run @ 5:33/km av; 3,000m Masters swim

Warm up
    200 free
    200 choice
    200 I/M by 25m
    Main set (focus-> speed)
    4x100 free on 1:45 BE3/5
    4x50 on 1min
    1. 12.5 max
    2. 25 max
    3. 37.5 max
    4. 50 max
    Repeat 4 times

Never thought I'd see the day when I'd like fly as a stroke. I'm getting better at it, mainly through figuring out the kick.
    The 4*100 on 1:45 were done with pb, and I tried out my refined stroke. It took a little experimenting, before it clicked, and when it did... just like a chance scent of perfume can remind you of a long-forgotten girlfriend, something about the entry reminded me of interested. I think I've a strangely romantic relationship with the water.
    The fast stuff was much-needed, the fast 25's were under 18s (trying hard to beat Juniors 16s ;)), the fast 50's around 38s.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement