Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard Deviation

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

"Something about the entry reminded me of interested"

Should interested be scared?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Oryx wrote: »
    "Something about the entry reminded me of interested"

Should interested be scared?

Not at all. What I mean is that that particular entry angle was stamped in my brain by him. I've not been at one of his sessions in a long time, but the memory is still there. My love for swimming is so deep that coaching advice shares space in the part of the brain that stores first kisses etc.

Thurs 53min bike machine thing, 30min treadmill.

A very busy work day again (unfortunately I'm waking up at night thinking about work), and my only window was when the kids were at the pool. So I paid into the stupid gym and got to watch them splashing through the window. Envious.

10 easy
    5x(30sec build, 30sec easy)
    6-5-4-3-2-1 with half recovery, start with 6 mod hard, increasing intensity so that the last one minute rep is flat out
    5+ easy

Done on the exercise bike, highest resistance and pedalling furiously towards the end, it felt like a workout.

The 30 mins on the bloody dreadmill were torture, I hate the damn things. Still, it meant I got to keep the streak going for another day.

Fri 2,500m swim

200sw, 200p, 200k
    10 x 50 fist, with 10s
    10 x 50p on 60 mod/hard
    5x100sw best even effort on 2
    200k, 200sw

The 10*50 fist came in 63-55, getting faster as I smoothed out my stroke. They finished well, I was swimming with a nice catch.

10*50p came in 44-48mod, 38-42hard. I liked what was going on with the solid catch and pull.

5*100, in 1:35, 1:34, 1:34, 1:34, 1:37. Disappointed with these, as I expected to be quicker. As they went on without improvement, I tried to relax and see if it made any difference, but the last one was the slowest. Ah well, Dec is the time to be disappointed with returns from stroke changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Funny...don't know if you noticed, but I have two bathing suits on in that old pic of me in my swimming youth that I was tagged in on fb. Timely, with our discussion of drag. ;)

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Funny...don't know if you noticed, but I have two bathing suits on in that old pic of me in my swimming youth that I was tagged in on fb. Timely, with our discussion of drag. ;)

So you do!:D

What a great photo though, you all look like a great fun group, and you had the whole tongue thing going way before Miley Cyrus!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

What stroke changes are you making at the moment KG?

I've picked up the bad habit of pressing down at the front end of my stroke, so am trying to angle the palm just before I engage the forearm catch. Also consciously trying to keep the elbow higher (at all phases), and exit with more of a flat palm along the latter half of the pull (I've been curling my palm back).

All that is way too much to take on board while swimming, so I just try and swim high and smooth and notice if I'm doing anything wrong when I'm not smooth.

Fri PM 6.27km in 4:51av

10min ez then 18mins steady (felt good after 10 so kept it up for 1 more km then 1more after that...)

5:40, 5:06, 4:30, 4:21, 4:16, 4:20

Faster than I've ran in a while.

Sat 18.1k run @ 5:33/km average

I'm more than content with this run, given that I was out for my yearly dose of The Pub last night, and was mildly hungover for most of the day. It's frosty enough around these parts, great clear weather for running in. I looped up to one of the old Annagh Hill trails, fond memories. An apocalyptic sunset over Mount Leinster was my reward for pushing up a few hills, and I managed to finish just with the last of dusk.

I'm pretty happy with the way my running has been going of late.

• Advertisement

"Winter miles, summer smiles" someone told me today, new to my ears, and very good advice.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    "Winter miles, summer smiles" someone told me today, new to my ears, and very good advice.

Boy, someone is full of perky holiday cheer!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Kurt Godel wrote: »

Wasn't a certain Jamie by any chance? He's been saying that for years and its a phrase I always diall into when the winter going gets tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

AKW wrote: »
    Wasn't a certain Jamie by any chance? He's been saying that for years and its a phrase I always diall into when the winter going gets tough.

"Beware the winter warrior"

Another one when I think of the same Jamie.

AKW wrote: »

Nope, a swimmer I used try and follow (who if she continues her own advice will have a breakthrough Tri season in 2015).

Mon 3,000m swim; 5.56k easy run @ 5:25/km av

300sw, 200p, 100k
    4x50 fist
    10x200sw best even effort +20sec
    4x50 choice easy

The 200's were in 3:12- 3:22. I'm not happy with those times, they should have been around 3 mins for the same effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

What's your usual tolerance for best even effort? Personally I try to keep all reps to within 2 seconds of each other

pgibbo wrote: »
    What's your usual tolerance for best even effort? Personally I try to keep all reps to within 2 seconds of each other

Best even effort, I usually go by feel. They weren't all out, but 90%.

They were pretty close together (one outlier) 3:xx, xx={19, 12, 17, 20, 21, 20, 21, 18, 22, 20}

Tue 1:10 turbo; 5.87 run @ 5:07/km av

5 easy
    5x(30sec build, 30sec easy)
    8x(2 HARD, 2 easy, 1 hard, 1 easy)
    5+ easy

This was a good old sweatfest, and there is a nice HR graph that correlates well with the effort. First time back on the roadie in a while.

Run felt good in the nighttime rain, I sped up a little towards the end, but the HR spiked into the 170's. I think thats a little high (colds etc going around our house so I'll keep an eye on it).

After the run I watched the kid sharks in the pool; pure grace in the way they move, and again a good lesson.

Wed 2,200m swim; 5.65k @ 5:41/km pace run

300sw, 200p, 100k
    4x50 fist
    10x100sw best even effort on 2 (1:22, 1:25, 1:25, 1:27, 1:30, 1:31, 1:33, 1:32, 1:33, 1:29)
    4x50 choice easy

Feeling pretty burned after 3 of the 100's, started contemplating the possibility of breaking them into two sets of 5*100 (but didn't). The last three I tried to swim slower, with better form. Breathing felt pretty strained- I try my best to exhale underwater slowly, not to gasp in, to just take enough air on board, but breathing (and redlining from lack of oxygen) seems to be an issue.

Run was a nice leg loosener with some 20 sec builds, running at a very, very fast pace, and loving it. Overall a nice plod which finished out the navy grey dusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Have you benchmarked your 100 time with a pull buoy & band? Be interested to see whether you see the consistency returning by isolating the oxygen-consuming (and run-streak tired) quads from the same set, eliminate the redlining perhaps. Stressed muscles working less efficiently and calling for oxygen earlier than usual etc?

• Advertisement

As MojoMaker implied, you should see a reduction of oxygen burden on your body when you eliminate your legs. But why are you restricting your air intake? Is this something you've been told to do, or have read? And if so, what is the reasoning?

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Have you benchmarked your 100 time with a pull buoy & band? Be interested to see whether you see the consistency returning by isolating the oxygen-consuming (and run-streak tired) quads from the same set, eliminate the redlining perhaps. Stressed muscles working less efficiently and calling for oxygen earlier than usual etc?

I've little doubt that recent "heaviness" in the water is run-related (and tempory). I haven't worked with a band in a while, but recent pb times have been very close to free times, and that's not usually the case.
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    As MojoMaker implied, you should see a reduction of oxygen burden on your body when you eliminate your legs. But why are you restricting your air intake? Is this something you've been told to do, or have read? And if so, what is the reasoning?

I don't think I'm restricting intake- for yesterdays 100's I was breathing on 2 for most of them. When I say I'm taking on "just enough", what I mean is I don't fill up my lungs (as it takes too long to empty them while breathing on 2/3). Less gasping huge amounts, more taking on what is needed.

Breathing lately is a very fluid process, there are no times where I'm not inhaling or exhaling. The only time I could be accused of holding my breath is during tumble turns, and that is often where the tension of oxygen debt starts, so I'm going to have to consider a)the amount of effort I put into the turns, b)whether it is more efficient to turn and take the first breath before the flags or drift for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

"and that is often where the tension of oxygen debt starts"
    try breathing out through your nose during tumbles (also helps prevents that uncomfortable sting of "water up nose" (medical term)).

Also, I read on D'internet, book, heard from wise man with dog on side of pitch ... stop thinking too much and just swim :)

interested wrote: »
    "and that is often where the tension of oxygen debt starts"
    try breathing out through your nose during tumbles (also helps prevents that uncomfortable sting of "water up nose" (medical term)).

Also, I read on D'internet, book, heard from wise man with dog on side of pitch ... stop thinking too much and just swim :)

I've been exhaling through the nose to prevent aquanasalouchitis all right, to no avail. Probably coming up for air too late. Definitely overthinking the whole thing- but if you can't clutter up a forum with overanalysis in mid-Dec, when can you?!?

Thurs 1 hour easy turbo; 5.82km jog @ 6min/km av

Speaking of overanalysis, I finally figured out how to attach my new power meter to my roadie. The roadie is a triple, the P2Max only fits doubles, so I finally figured out to just leave off the granny ring and I have a 53/39 now. An easy turbo just to check my mechanics really, 140 watts average. I don't know if I need to calibrate or anything; as I get older I get less inclined to read manuals. Today I was told I can just use the lap button on the 910 when doing a set of 10*100's in the pool, rather than recording them as 10 separate workouts. And I thought the lap button was just for symmetry..

Rainy splashy darky plod around Arklow, my legs felt dead. If that feeling continues for more than a couple of days I'll break the runstreak.

Fri 2,000m swim

200sw,200p,100k
    4x50 on 60 des 1-4 (46, 47, 44, 43- felt like increasing effort though)
    1000m TT
    4x50 fast on 60 (42, 42, 42, 41)
    200 choice easy

Did the 1km TT today, and felt very tired getting in (not sleeping great). Touch-turned because I don't trust my tumbles yet for a TT, and that brings a greater risk of calf cramps. So I did the warm up etc, but left out the 100m kick. Set the watch to 1:35 before I left the house, but reset it to 1:40 before being the TT. Swam the first half steady, was controlled in the second half, finished fast/steady rather than balls out. 16:29 for the km, about 1:38/100m pace. I'm content, rather than happy, with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice swimming considering you're tired and running a lot.

What do you mean by you set the watch to 1:40? I'm guessing it alerted or beeped every 1:40. Playing Devils advocate here and assuming that to be the case. Is it truly a TT if you paced it? I would have thought you would learn more by doing it without a pacing tool.

Fair play for doing a 1k TT. Not sure I'd have the stomach for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

When you do your masters sessions Kurt what's the lane like, do you lead out? How does that compare to the 1km tt, were u in pool by yourself?

Only asking cos I know from myself that when I swim on Fri night with others I'm always a bit faster than by myself, even if I'm leading out I'm trying to pull away or catch people in the next lane. Know one or two lads who can't get close to their Friday night times by themselves, mainly because of their position in the lane and who they are following.

pgibbo wrote: »
    Nice swimming considering you're tired and running a lot.

What do you mean by you set the watch to 1:40? I'm guessing it alerted or beeped every 1:40. Playing Devils advocate here and assuming that to be the case. Is it truly a TT if you paced it? I would have thought you would learn more by doing it without a pacing tool.

Fair play for doing a 1k TT. Not sure I'd have the stomach for it.

Yes, I set the watch to beep every 1:40. If I didn't have the watch I'd have been pacing off the pool clock- not sure what you mean by an untrue TT if paced? Is it usual to do TT's blind to any clock?

• Advertisement

joey100 wrote: »
    When you do your masters sessions Kurt what's the lane like, do you lead out? How does that compare to the 1km tt, were u in pool by yourself?

Only asking cos I know from myself that when I swim on Fri night with others I'm always a bit faster than by myself, even if I'm leading out I'm trying to pull away or catch people in the next lane. Know one or two lads who can't get close to their Friday night times by themselves, mainly because of their position in the lane and who they are following.

Usually in the Masters I either lead out, or fall off feet very quickly. I very rarely draft of feet. And I know exactly what you mean, when I swim with the Masters I always swim faster than normal. Todays TT was in an empty lane. I should be able to bring it down a good bit next time, there was enough left in the tank, I paced it too cautiously (didn't want to blow up so was too conservative).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement