Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard Deviation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Those B.E.6 lengths gotta hurt towards the end!

To be honest they don't honest! In fact they make for better form as you're not lifting the head as often, so you cut through the water. (and its only for 25m ;))

Fri 10.16k run @ 5.29/km av; 3,500m swim
    Run
    Felt tougher than it should, HR was 152. Hillbrook Loop, which isn't exactly flat, but I don't think that explains the high HR.

Swim:
    200sw,200p,100k
    400sw,4x100B+B + 15s
    300sw,3x100B+B + 15s
    200sw,2x100B+B + 15s
    100sw,100B+B + 15s
    100sw,100B+B + 15s
    4x50 fast on 60 (in 43-44)
    100sw
    250 hypoxic as 25 take n breaths: nE{3,2,1,0,0,0,0,1,2,3}
    250 B+B

The pool was crowded tonight, I've never seen it so packed. There were a couple of slow breaststrokers in the lane, so could only do what I could. There was a set of 4*50's descending that I couldn't do with the traffic, but the swim and Band and Bouy stuff was ok. Decent enough form. Brilliant form for the hypoxic! Think I may have a head issue feeding into form that should be looked at. Certainly the swim is a lot smoother once the head is taken out of the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,642 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Anyone in your masters group willing to grab 60 seconds of video for you? Confirm your theory etc - even better the new Galaxy S5 can shoot video underwater if you know anyone with one.

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Anyone in your masters group willing to grab 60 seconds of video for you? Confirm your theory etc - even better the new Galaxy S5 can shoot video underwater if you know anyone with one.

Yeah, we should be doing underwater vids soon enough. Good idea.

Sat Nothing. Had an exam in Dublin which took up most of the day.

Sun 3:20 long bike; 83.54k @ 206W av

The Exam was something I had been studying for all over Xmas and cramming for the last week. It went well, but my head was spinning after. Stopped the car coming home at Booterstown to go for a run at dusk, but had forgotten my shoes. I considered running barefoot on Sandymount Strand but figured I'd work on the Nutty Professor image another day. Spent the night dreaming about ARF Pension schemes and investments.

Woke early today and met some of the club for a spin, but they had a run yesterday in their legs so I opened a gap. Waited in Shillelagh, but openad a gap again by Clonegal, so continued on myself to Bunclody, Tullow, Coolkenno, and home again. Very blustery out there, the first half in particular was into a headwind. Saw lots of the Racing 795 boys out in Bunclody, gave a wave in case one of them was Griffen. Unlikely though, his IM isn't till August, why would he be out training at this early stage?;)

• Advertisement

Week 15 Summary|Session|Comment

Monday| 6k run @ 5:00 av pace; 3,000m swim|fighting the water
    Tuesday|2,900m pool; 10.91k run @ 4:46min/km av|Run included 30min TT- 7km done (4:17/km pace)
    Wednesday|1 hour easy turbo; 2,100m easy swim|
    Thursday|45 min turbo; 6.01k easy run @ 5:35/km av; 2,300m swim|Hard turbo; easy enough Masters swim
    Friday|10.16k run @ 5.29/km av; 3,500m swim|Run felt harder than it should. Easy swim B+B
    Saturday|Nothing|
    Sunday|3:20 long bike; 83.54k @ 206W av|Felt decent, windy day
    Week 15 km totals|Swim 13.8k Bike 128.45k Run 33.07k Time 12:45|Solid week, moving in the right direction
    This block|Swim 109.43k Bike 1461.29k Run 476.88k

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Sat Woke early today and met some of the club for a spin, but they had a run yesterday in their legs so I opened a gap. Waited in Shillelagh, but openad a gap again by Clonegal, so continued on myself to Bunclody, Tullow, Coolkenno, and home again. Very blustery out there, the first half in particular was into a headwind. Saw lots of the Racing 795 boys out in Bunclody, gave a wave in case one of them was Griffen. Unlikely though, his IM isn't till August, why would he be out training at this early stage?;)

Cycling in January, are you fuppin mad? I haven't been on the bike since the day of my last IM and usually I wouldn't consider getting on one until the day of my next tri, but a knee problem that prevents me running has me eyeing the turbo with dread........

Mon 2,500m swim

300 free
    200 choice (drills, pb)
    Main set (all free) 20s rest
    (12x150m)
    1st 150m 50k50D50S
    2nd 150m pull buoy
    3rd 150m 75k75S
    4th 150m pull buoy
    Repeat 3 times
    200 choice swim down

Lane Wars tonight. Aqua aerobics had taken over half the pool, leaving two lanes. Our Masters group usually splits into two levels, slow and less slow, but the pool is open, people are free to share the lanes. Usually everyone is considerate, but tonight there were a few breaststoking-wallchattering-legsinkers, who wanted to make a point, and so staying in the less slow lane. A bit silly really, as collisions are going to occur, and the person travelling at speed is rarely the one who comes off worst. Time of year, I suppose...

I couldn't get the scheduled 30 min easy run in today, the phone never stopped, and its too late to do it now. First FTP test tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

but tonight there were a few breaststoking-wallchattering-legsinkers

This made me laugh out loud. :)

Tue 1 hour turbo including FTP test

5 easy
    4x(1 HC, 30 sec easy)
    4x(30sec build, 30sec easy)
    5min max effort TT
    10 easy
    20 min max effort TT
    10 easy

First time doing an FTP test, I was a little apprehensive starting off. I knew I could hold suffering for 5 minutes, but was unsure quite how I should pace the 20 mins. The 5 minutes was tough, it felt hard (315W av), and I was happy for the 10 minutes easy rest afterwards. Started into the 20 mins TT thinking I could hold around 280-290... being new at this I had it over 300 at times, but after 10 mins or so it was down under 260. Basically I wanted to give it what I had, but was unsure if I'd die out after half-way. I managed to pull it back a bit over the second half, finishing the last 5 minutes stronger, before hitting the lap button on the very second of 20 mins (281 av for the 20 min TT). Maybe I could have gone harder, but maybe I would have blown up. One thing that is obvious from the pic below, next time I'll have to pace it steadier, there's too much variance in the TT's.

15modxt.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Solid first test Kurt. Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

Well done Kurt. Takes a few goes to figure them out but they get you used to suffering! The must have when doing a FTP test is a fan, as big as you can get!

I have this one,

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4250090/Trail/searchtext%3EFAN.htm

It's nice and big and couldn't do without it now. Helps keep the heart rate down and make the whole thing a tiny bit more bearable. I would say if your looking for one try to get one with a remote. nice to be able to adjust it when on the bike. Make it higher for the last 5 mins of the test!

Tue PM easy run 7.2km @ 5:52/km av

I felt the need to shake some life back into the body, so did a very gentle trot around Arklow while the little fish did their thing. This was as easy a run as I've ever done, and it was a good refresher.
    joey100 wrote: »
    The must have when doing a FTP test is a fan, as big as you can get!

Tunney told me to use a fan all right- I've a small one we use for the caravan, it seemed to do the job nicely, but I'll look into your industrial sized fans for greater effect.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Tunney told me to use a fan all right- I've a small one we use for the caravan, it seemed to do the job nicely, but I'll look into your industrial sized fans for greater effect.

move the turbo out to the shed the two of ye. 1c for the turbo last night, no fan required. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mossym wrote: »
    move the turbo out to the shed the two of ye. 1c for the turbo last night, no fan required. :D

Someone needs harder sessions

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

had a feeling that would come

Wed 1 hr easy turbo at 157W av

Thurs Easy 8.76k run, 5:23/km av, 148HR av; 2350m swim

Warm up
    200 free
    200 I/M by 25m
    8x50 25kick/25drill 15s
    (2xfly/2xbk/2xbrs/2xfr)
    Main set
    1x75 fly 15s
    2x75 free 15s
    1x75 back 15s
    2x75 free 15s
    1x75 brs 15s
    2x75 free 15s
    1x50 fly 10s
    2x50 free 10s
    1x50 back 10s
    2x50 free 10s
    1x50 brs 10s
    2x50 free 10s
    1x25 fly 5s
    2x25 free 5s
    1x25 back 5s
    2x25 free 5s
    1x25 brs 5s
    2x25 free 5s
    Swim down

Fri 3,000m swim

200sw,200p,100k
    4x50 des 1-4 on 60 (41,43,43,41)
    10x200sw best even effort + 15s
    100k,100p,100sw

I got in the pool determined today, something in the "Swimming for Tri" thread had been playing on my mind. Pointed the toes back with purpose, and used the kick to greater effect for (balance and position rather than propulsion). It felt like a Eureka moment, I was much faster. Think this has been the problem over the past while. The first 50 I targeted 48; came in 41, and I felt great. Brill. First 200 in 3:04 without much effort, and I considered going for a 400 PB, I felt that good. My problem of late has been sinking legs and not pointing the toes back enough. I can't begin to say how relieved I was to discover this.

I slowed for the rest of the main set (most in around 3:16-3:18), as my calfs and plantar were on the verge of cramp. Used the pb for numbers 6,8,and 10. This felt like the first good swim in a while, the first swim where I felt in control. I'm going to work- a lot- on flexibility in the calf, heel and foot area, and would expect to push on from here.

Sat 19.52k easy run with 20mins steady

I jogged up to the car park where some of the club lads were meeting. It was very frosty and slippery on the roads getting there, but otherwise a great crisp morning. "Tinahely Time" is usually a good few minutes out of sync with GMT, but someone reset the clocks for 2015 as they had set off by the time I ran over the bridge. Caught up after a while, and chatted for a few km until the turnaround. I had 20 mins steady scheduled, so I put the foot down- probably too quickly, as the first km was too fast in 4:02. I found it hard enough to keep a good pace, HR was up, and so the 20 min segment was 4.72km as 4:02, 4:28, 4:23, 4:36, 3:09. It was tough at the end. Jogged back home at a slow pace.

Sun 2:30 easy turbo, 152W average

• Advertisement

Week 16 Summary|Session|Comment

Monday| 2,500m swim|Lots of kicking. And a few punches thrown for good measure
    Tuesday|1 hour turbo including FTP test; easy run 7.2km @ 5:52/km av|5minTT@315W, 20TT@281W=FTP 267W
    Wednesday|1 hr easy turbo at 157W av|
    Thursday|Easy 8.76k run, 5:23/km av; 2350m swim|lots of I/M in the swim
    Friday|3,000m swim|with 10*200. Pointed toes back and had a much more streamlined effect, very happy with this.
    Saturday|19.52k easy run with 20mins steady|20 min segment was 4.72km as 4:02, 4:28, 4:23, 4:36, 3:09. It was tough at the end.
    Sunday|2:30 easy turbo, 152W average|
    Week 16 km totals|Swim 7.85k Bike 120k Run 35.38k Time 10:29|Happy with the FTP test, and happy with the swim position from pointed toes.
    This block|Swim 117.28k Bike 1581.29k Run 512.36k

Mon 6km easy run @ 5:10/km av; 2,400m swim

Run felt good, I was itching to do more- but an easy week is scheduled this week, which will probably be needed, as its a huge week exam wise (2 major exams on Sat).

Swim:
    400m warm up
    5*50 kick
    10*25 as last 10m max; 10 sec
    Main set all pb:
    {2*75 on 1:15
    4*25 on 30 des}
    repeat 4 times
    10*50 as 25 kick, 25 swim

The kick felt hard, but I want to work on my kick so thats good. I imagined stretching a rubber band from core to hands; that seemed to help.
    Max always feels good :)
    Main set: I was swimming well with the pb, the 75's were in 1:02-1:07, feeling good. The fast 25's were under 20s, good for me with a pb stuck up my arse.
    The 10 kicks were tough; the 10 swim were magical- the most complete form, best movement through the water I've ever felt. Bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

KG just wondering which you enjoy most?

You seem to do an awful lot of swimming and not so much biking and running but yet your swimming is probably the strongest. Not being critical, just curious.

Will you put more focus on bike and swim the closer the season gets or are you happy enough as is? That bike & run will look after themselves when the time comes.

I ask because I am a poor swimmer. I can swim, ability is there but I just never saw the justification for loads and loads of swimming as it doesn't make a huge impression on my times. For me giving more time to swimming means less time for biking and running and it is in those disciplines that I can make the biggest gains for racing (triathlon)

AKW wrote: »
    KG just wondering which you enjoy most?
    Swim
    You seem to do an awful lot of swimming and not so much biking and running but yet your swimming is probably the strongest. Not being critical, just curious.
    Minimum 3 swims to maintain, 4 to improve. I'd like to be doing 6 swims a week, but the number has been 3 or 4 for several months now. Timewise, swim has not been first in a week since beginning of last Oct, and is usually third.
    Will you put more focus on bike and swim the closer the season gets or are you happy enough as is? That bike & run will look after themselves when the time comes.
    There has been more focus on bike and run for the past couple of months, and I presume that will continue.
    I ask because I am a poor swimmer. I can swim, ability is there but I just never saw the justification for loads and loads of swimming as it doesn't make a huge impression on my times. For me giving more time to swimming means less time for biking and running and it is in those disciplines that I can make the biggest gains for racing (triathlon)
    I think I've been taken up wrong from the "Swim for Tri" thread. Last year I gave most time to swimming, exited the water relatively high, lost a few places on the bike, and lost a load of places on the run. This year (with the help of Tunney's program) its all about getting much faster on the run, faster on the bike, and maintaining the swim speed (or there or thereabouts). I swim around 1:30/100 pace in a suit for Oly's, I'd like to swim faster, but its far more beneficial to run faster than 5min/km. So the focus is to get down the run time (and bike time).

I could swim faster by adding two more weekly sessions (too much training time), or slightly faster by improving technique (very little extra training time). But either way, I recognise that for an Oly, 23mins+75+45 (S+B+R), is inferior to 24+70+40, and thats what is being trained towards.

Your response is how I was seeing your training Kurt and predicted a response similar to what you wrote. I think part of the problem is most people think they give swimming the time it takes to improve but the reality is not the case.

@AKW, have you given your swimming a fair whack? Swim 4 times a week for say 16 weeks with at least one swim being over 3k and the rest being around 2.5k?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Cool.

Was curious as most tri heads find the swim a chore (me too) but yet you seem happy banging away at the sessions. Thanks.

@Pgibbo indeed I did. Leading to Galway 70.3 (think it was 2011) was probably my best season of swimming with blocks back to back through the winter and my own swimming. Now I am only 1 min per 400 off my best pace from then and I still would expect my bike and run to have more room for gains.

Very important to be happy in the water to get faster. Just look at all the :):):D:D;);) in Dory's log.

I had a very enjoyable and unplanned lunchtime swim today thanks to the discussion here. Cheers lads :cool:

Tue Rest day

Wed hour easy turbo

Thurs 2,100m Masters swim

Warm up
    200 free
    8x50 free 25k/25d 15s
    10x25 free 1st 10m max/ last 15m easy 15s
    Main set
    10x100 free on 1:45 (hold 1:30)
    Swim down
    300 pb

Happy enough with this, the main was 10*100. I was on feet for the first 3 (in 1:28-1:34), but led for the next 7 (in 1:27-1:31).

• Advertisement

Fri 45mins turbo; 2,200m swim

10 easy
    4x(1 HC, 30sec easy)
    4x(30sec build, 30sec easy)
    4x(4 steady normal cadence, 1 easy
    5 easy

Felt very good for this, the effort was at the higher end of the power zones.

200sw,200p,200k
    3x(200sw easy) + 15s
    4x(100p easy ) + 15s
    100k,100p,100sw

Again, this felt good. Easy effort, but the 200's still were in 3:28, 3:22, 3:22. There's been a marked improvement in my body position lately.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement