Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard Deviation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Week 19 Summary|Session|Comment

Monday| 2,750 Masters swim|5*200 off 3:40 hold 3:00 pace (in <2:55 for them all)
    Tuesday|60min easy turbo|
    Wednesday|3,400m swim|Swim drills with the coach
    Thursday|60 min easy turbo (174W); 80 min Masters swim/deck|Very tough deckwork
    Friday|3,150m swim|B&B
    Saturday|30min easy run, 5.59k|Achilles seemed better
    Sunday|2:15 turbo 153W av; 45min TT spin @ 30kph|New TT bike, really felt good
    Week 19 km totals|Swim 11.5k Bike 122.83k Run 5.59k Time 10:20|Bad run week, achilles rested
    This block|Swim 143.588k Bike 1844.12k Run 583.33k

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

better start hitting the bike intervals hard Kurt. Flash bike like that people are going to have expectations :)

nice machine. many happy miles on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Oh very nice! Me like a lot :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

That's a thing of beauty. Happy cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Lovely bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hubba hubba. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

Very nice Kurt. What's the plan for the powermeter, will it stay on road bike or going to put it on tt bike?

joey100 wrote: »
    Very nice Kurt. What's the plan for the powermeter, will it stay on road bike or going to put it on tt bike?

I'll swap it over between the two. It'll be interesting to see what sort of power reading the O-rings give.

Mon Masters swim 2,300m and deckwork

Warm up
    200 free
    8x50 free 25k/25s 10s
    Main set
    3x100 free on 1:30
    (10 press ups,10 sit ups and 10 squats) x3 speed
    1min plank
    1min rest
    Repeat 5 times
    Swim down
    200 choice

Another swim/crossfit monster hybrid, another time I found myself wondering after one set how on earth I'd get through the second, let alone get through all 5 sets... its a lot easier when there is company, you don't even get a chance to think about bailing. The 3*100's were decent, the first was in 1:15 (on feet), 1:20, 1:20. The other sets were in between 1:20-1:28, except for the very final two 100's which drifted closer to 1:35. As for the deckwork... well it'll give you an idea of the intensity when I tell you I looked forward to each plank as it was a comparative oasis of calm :)

Tue 50min turbo

10 easy
    5x(30sec build, 30sec easy)
    10x(2:45 90%, 15 sec 110%)
    5 easy

90%=240W, 110%=292W, and I stayed over those levels in the main for the 30mins. It felt like a tough session.

• Advertisement

Tue PM 5,77k easy run @ 6min/km; 2,700m swim

The run was to test the achilles, it felt a lot better. Think I know what the problem is from before, its the muscles to the side of the calf. More rolling required.

Swim:
    200sw,200p,100k
    10x50 alt broom/sw + 15s
    4x50 as 25 archer, 25 sw
    12x100 on 2:00 - focus on strength and form (in 1:33/1:38)
    1x50 fast on 50 (meant to do 4, felt a cramp)
    250 swim down

First time doing broom, I don't like it. But I like what it does for the shoulder freedom of the following swim.
    The 100's were at a steady pace, making sure catch, rotation, exit, etc were solid.
    Didn't risk the 4*50 fast after as I felt a calf twinge: turbo sweat a lot of salts out earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,642 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

What's Broom Kurt?

MojoMaker wrote: »
    What's Broom Kurt?

Like catch-up, but holding a 30cm rod ("broom") ahead of you, swap hands and grab each end. Helps stop crossover.

Wed 50 min easy turbo

Nothing scheduled, so I fiddled with the new bike to see how it performed on the turbo. Think I was a little aggressive with the saddle angle, otherwise it felt good in the aero position.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Sun PM 45min @ 30kph

I had to take the new bike out for a spin this afternoon. The roads are in rag order, very bumpy and greasy, but the bike felt brilliant. It's got Osymetric chainrings which are very strange at first, but I really liked them, they seemed especially good going up hills. There's one downhill section that I always go out of control with wobbles on my last bike; still got a small wobble (stop laughing Tunney!) but it was controlled a lot easier. Loved the speed on the flat, loved the handling, loved the greater reach. I still need to get a proper fit, but this seems like a much better bike all round.

[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-E7SFW90dENY/VNeDDsHB4WI/AAAAAAAABQQ/n_iRA7wPKJ4/s640/IMG_0389.jpg&quot; height="480" width="640"[/IMG]

[IMG]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-QeYfghLzXhg/VNeC_78VBzI/AAAAAAAABQI/XUvBImk2Xfc/s640/IMG_0390.jpg&quot; height="480" width="640"[/IMG]
    [/QUOTE]

As I said speed wobbles start with something tiny from an external source. Then the rider gets stressed and tenses. A relaxed rider absorbs impacts and wobbles, a tensed rider makes things worse. Thats whats happening to you.

Thurs 50 min turbo; 1,500m Masters swim

Turbo:
    10EZ
    5*(1HC, 1EZ)
    5*(4steady, 1EZ)
    5EZ

This was done on the TT bike, still getting a feel for it. No powermeter, as I think it will be harder to swap over the Osymetics for a regular ring- I'd have to change the chain and front deraileur setup.

Swim 400m warm up
    10*50k
    5*50 as 25 fly, 25 sw
    4*50 as 25 back, 25sw
    4*50 on 50
    Then I bailed.

The extraction system in the pool hasn't been working for months, and I sat on the deck for 2 hours before this swim breathing in the clorinated air. Lots of the kids were coughing, and I started coughing during my swim. No power, felt lousy, worst swim in ages, so I cut it short.

Fri Nothing

Th extractor system at the pool is broke, so chlorinated air hangs heavy over the water. Lots have been getting nausea or headaches, and indeed I had a splitting headache all day. Bailed on the pool session.

Sat 12.1k run @ 5:35 av

Still had a bad headache today, but I dragged myself out at dusk to the Railway walk. My achilles started to hurt by halfway, and was positively sore by the end (and is sore now). More rolling required. Bummer all round, but better mid-Feb than mid-June.

Sun 94.58k bike @ 27.5kph av

Tinahely-Hacketstown-Killerig-Castledermot-Moone-Ballytor-Baltinglass-Kiltegan-Hacketstown-Tinahely-home

My achilles was very sore getting out of bed but I figured I'd chance the club spin anyway. In the end it didn't really have too much of an effect. No PM readings today, I took out the new TT bike for a long test spin. Conclusion- it is a huge step up from the last bike, I feel a lot more comfortable on it, and I love the Osymetric rings. There is so much power available, especially on long flat sections. Climbing also seemed to be easier, as you turn over the dead spot quicker. The bike was on fire today- I had to stop at each town and wait for the group, and it wasn't as if I was putting in a lot more effort than usual.

I started to tire after 2 hours (no food or drink besides a mouthful of water before I left), but was surprised to see the overall speed was 27.5kph average- thats a lot faster than I would have expected for this course, which shares smooth flat roads with pockmarked lumpy ones. No huge hills, but 700m elevation gain altogether.

Week 20 Summary|Session|Comment

Monday| Masters swim 2,300m and deckwork|
    Tuesday|50min easy turbo|with 10x(2:45 90%, 15 sec 110%) tough session
    Wednesday|50 min easy turbo|
    Thursday|50 min turbo; 1,500m Masters swim|Felt unwell from pool fumes
    Friday|Nothing|
    Saturday|12.1k run @ 5:35 av|Achilles sore again
    Sunday|94.58k bike @ 27.5kph av|Bike felt great on the roads
    Week 20 km totals|Swim 6.5k Bike 159.58k Run 17.88k Time 10:18|Pissed off about the achilles, sore again. I'm going to run exclusively on grass, and keep it short, for a while.
    This block|Swim 150.08k Bike 2003.7k Run 601.21k

This was an annoying week; the pool has issues with its air quality which is causes coughing and headaches, and my bloody achilles is sore again after resting it two weeks. Bike was good though, thats going in the right direction. Hopefully I can limit any run fitness dropoff by working on the bike for the nest while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey Kurt, achilles is the bane of my life. Running on grass needs even more caution. Yes you don't have the impact of the road but the softer landing is stretching the achilles and the uneven surface is giving way to more sideway movement. Do a few heel drops on a step. If it hurts.. do not run!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

on the achilles kurt, i;ve had issues with it the last two years, but think i'm on top of it now. what do you run in, and second, distance is the achilles worst enemy, or was for me at least. i could go short and slow, or short and my version of fast, didn't affect it, but as soon as i tried to up the mileage, or time really, it kicked in.

my first achilles issues were down to too many miles in low ramp shoes, all of them really were done in kinvaras which my achilles can't take. fine to use low ramp for races, but i mix it up with higher drop shoes on longer runs to rest the achilles

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Its all about the calves, bout the calvies, no achilles......

Yes, its all about the calves. They are still very tight, I'm rolling which is helping. Getting a bit depressed about not being able to run, but I suppose I should count my blessings as a proper achilles tear would mean greater downtime.

Tue circa 3k pool swim

I won't lie, I had been looking forward to this swim for a long, long, time. My swimming has gotten to a fairly competent level, mainly through the advice I was generously given by Dory on my log, so having the opportunity to "show off" those swim skills to her was much anticipated. We hit the jackpot when Griffin got us all passes to the brilliant UCD 50m pool, which is such a great facility. Dory gave lots of stroke advice, and from watching Oryx and career_move, the improvements were immediate. My ankle was judged too rigid, and the "can-you-sit-on-your-foot" test showed up the inflexibility. Something to work on.

First time in a 50m pool, and it shows up the extra rest a 25m pool gives. I tried a straight 50m flat out, came in 36 seconds which will be a marker for future visits.

The rest of the night was a mix of good food, company, and chat. Too much beer drank by me, first time out in quite a while so I overindulged and have a headache now. Watching the video of Dory and Mr."He's-Not-Fat!" dance to "Sex Machine" helps ease the pain :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Watching the video of Dory and Mr."He's-Not-Fat!" dance to "Sex Machine" helps ease the pain :)

It really is only fair to share that footage with the board.

It really is only fair to share that footage with the board.

Won't be doing that Fran, it would completely destroy his "miserable bollix" online persona...

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

You? Over indulge? Never ;)

Oryx wrote: »
    You? Over indulge? Never ;)

Back on the wagon for lent. I was building up my stores. Reverse Period-of-libation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Won't be doing that Fran, it would completely destroy his "miserable bollix" online persona...

The "socks" pic will be coming back out so.:)

Wed 60 min easy turbo

Headache and tired after last night, I didn't fancy any exercise but feel better after doing this light session.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Who the hell kept me deep in wine last night??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement