Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard Deviation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Who the hell kept me deep in wine last night??

Dory be thankful it was just wine, it could have been so much worse. Guinness, whiskey and cigars, Leeson Street dancefloors, climbing Trinity railings to see the Book of Kells at dawn, the Liffey Swim Part 2...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Dory be thankful it was just wine, it could have been so much worse. Guinness, whiskey and cigars, Leeson Street dancefloors, climbing Trinity railings to see the Book of Kells at dawn, the Liffey Swim Part 2...

There's always a silver lining. :)

Thurs 55mins turbo; 2,700m swim and deckwork
    Turbo:
    10 easy
    5x(1 HC, 1 easy)
    5x(5 steady BG,1 easy)
    5 easy

Swim:
    warm up
    200 free
    200 free kick
    200 free pull buoy
    main set
    20 squats
    1min plank
    4x50 25 free kick max/ 25 free easy 10s
    20 press ups
    20 sit ups
    4x50 25 fly max/ 25 free easy 10s
    20 squats
    2mins plank
    4x50 25 free max/ 25 choice easy 10s
    100 choice easy
    repeat 3 times

I will move the PM to the O-rings, as I like this bike so much. It will get better use dedicated on the TT bike. I can remember reading of someone around here contemplating 2 PM's for each bike, I thought they were a loon, and yet... nah, I'm way too invested as it is!

Swim was ok, good to back in the water with my mates again (I missed last session) but I was wary of the calve. So I went last, had an easy enough night in the pool (fly was tough though), and the deckwork was hard enough. I couldn't complain, they were doing burpees and jumping squats where I just did squats- no point snapping the achilles.

Fri 3,300m swim

400sw 7:00
    400pb 6:52
    400pb&paddles 6:42
    400sw 6:50
    400pb 7:10
    400pb&paddles 6:50
    200sw 3:17
    200pb 3:40
    200pb&paddles 3:25
    300 hypoxic BE 3,2,1,0,0,0,0,1,2,3

A steady set tonight, felt tired getting in, felt full of life getting out.

Sat 40k bike @ 34.4kph, 18k @ 22.8kph

Took the bike out for an intended 2 hr easy spin. The legs felt good, and the first few 5k splits were a lot faster than I expected, so I kept up the pace all the way to Arklow, and beyond along the old N11 towards Gorey. While I wasn't going race pace, I did find it an effort towards the end, but 40k in just under 70 mins is much better than I would have expected. Pretty happy with that.

The remaining journey home was hilly, on busted up backroads, and I was content to keep the pace comfortable, just making it home before dark.

• Advertisement

Sun 2 hour turbo

1 hour ez
    20 mins at 90% (about 250+W av)
    10 mins ez
    20 mins at 90% (255W av)
    10 mins ez

Mucky wet and windy down these parts today, its just as well I got on the road yesterday. I moved the PM to the TT bike, and started into a Battlestar Galactica-fest. First hour was easy as frack, then into the harder stuff. 20 mins had be kept above 241W, and I made a good job of that (didn't press split on the watch though. 10 mins easy, before back into a hard 20mins again, sweat dripping off, but I kept the average at 255W. Pleased enough with how the bike is going these days.

Mon 45 mins easy turbo (164W av); 2,500m Masters swim

200 free
    200 I/M
    10x50 free 25k/25d 15s
    10x25 free odds max 15s
    evens easy 15s
    Main set
    10 Burpees squats
    10 sit ups
    10 press ups
    10 jumping squats
    1min plank
    4x50 choice 25 kick max/25 swim easy 10sec
    (Repeat 5 times)
    100 swim easy
    250 hypoxic as BE 3,2,1,0,0,0,0,1,2,3

This was a tougher session than it looked. My calf/achilles is still tight (though getting better), so I didn't risk the burpees or jumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Mon 45 mins easy turbo (164W av); 2,500m Masters swim

200 free
    200 I/M
    10x50 free 25k/25d 15s
    10x25 free odds max 15s
    evens easy 15s
    Main set
    10 Burpees squats
    10 sit ups
    10 press ups
    10 jumping squats
    1min plank
    (Repeat 5 times)
    100 swim easy
    250 hypoxic as BE 3,2,1,0,0,0,0,1,2,3

This was a tougher session than it looked. My calf/achilles is still tight (though getting better), so I didn't risk the burpees or jumps.

Sometimes I read these sessions and think "WTF". Actually usually thats my thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Do you do the burpees etc at the side of the pool and get back in to finish the set?

AKW wrote: »
    Do you do the burpees etc at the side of the pool and get back in to finish the set?

Five times................
    Main set
    10 Burpees squats
    10 sit ups
    10 press ups
    10 jumping squats
    1min plank
    (Repeat 5 times)

• Advertisement

AKW wrote: »

Yes, with as little hanging around as possible. Get some strange looks from the pleasure lane swimmers, but it looks less bizarre if a group is doing it.

By the way, for anyone who knows that Tunney coaches me- he has nothing to do with the two Masters sets a week, but tolerates them as I insisted the Masters sessions (moreso the company) were beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

tunney wrote: »
    Five times................

Ah here! Swimming is tough enough without that carry on!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,642 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Amen to that. This blog makes me shiver every week :)

Tue 55 Min Turbo- FTP Test 290W

Previous FTP 267W (5 mins 319W; 20mins 281W)

Whether its lack of running, and/or the new bike, but my bike work has been going well lately. So well in fact, that the coach threw in another FTP test for today. I was dreading it, but I think thats the required approach. Scheduled:

10min ez
    5*(30s build, 30s ez)
    5 min TT
    10 min ez
    20 min TT
    5 min ez

The builds were decent, I felt strong for them. Didn't remember to hit the split button for the 5 min TT, but I kept the power around 330-340W, and was wrecked by the end. Into a much needed 10 min easy, then the main event. By 90 seconds I was hurting and doubtful I could keep it up, but I was determined to keep the power above 300W if at all possible. Time is a very strange concept, because it too an age to get to 5 mins, and then everything slowed right down. The period from 5:00 to 6:40 (a third of the way done) took forever, and then next period until halfway felt like a six-year-old looking at the Xmas calendar on Dec 1st. I was hurting bad by this stage, and counting in periods of 10 seconds, just lying to myself to get one more minute done. Somehow I kept it spinning until 17 mins, and the last 3 minutes were all about pain, panting, and sweat. Really glad to get to the end, and that immediate rush of euphoria that signals an end to a tough session. 305W average for the 20 min TT, 95% of which is 289.75, which I'm rounding up to 290W as my FTP number. Anyone wants to argue that can fight me. Just gimme a week to get my breath back;)

Fun that its done, fun that I can brag about it by logging here, but lets see whats it translates into for the summer races!

Tue 55 Min Turbo- FTP Test 290W

Previous FTP 267W (5 mins 319W; 20mins 281W)

Whether its lack of running, and/or the new bike, but my bike work has been going well lately. So well in fact, that the coach threw in another FTP test for today. I was dreading it, but I think thats the required approach. Scheduled:

10min ez
    5*(30s build, 30s ez)
    5 min TT
    10 min ez
    20 min TT
    5 min ez

The builds were decent, I felt strong for them. Didn't remember to hit the split button for the 5 min TT, but I kept the power around 330-340W, and was wrecked by the end. Into a much needed 10 min easy, then the main event. By 90 seconds I was hurting and doubtful I could keep it up, but I was determined to keep the power above 300W if at all possible. Time is a very strange concept, because it too an age to get to 5 mins, and then everything slowed right down. The period from 5:00 to 6:40 (a third of the way done) took forever, and then next period until halfway felt like a six-year-old looking at the Xmas calendar on Dec 1st. I was hurting bad by this stage, and counting in periods of 10 seconds, just lying to myself to get one more minute done. Somehow I kept it spinning until 17 mins, and the last 3 minutes were all about pain, panting, and sweat. Really glad to get to the end, and that immediate rush of euphoria that signals an end to a tough session. 305W average for the 20 min TT, 95% of which is 289.75, which I'm rounding up to 290W as my FTP number. Anyone wants to argue that can fight me. Just gimme a week to get my breath back;)

Fun that its done, fun that I can brag about it by logging here, but lets see whats it translates into for the summer races!

I reckon the races that involve burpees and presssups on floating pontoons on the water are yours to win regardless of the FTP.

Wed 60mins turbo easy

Easy turbo for an hour, spinning at 162W av. Tomorrow's another test, a 1,500m swim TT. I said 1:35 pace to the swim coach, he said more likely 1:38. I did a 1,000m TT at 1:38 pace a couple of months back so I guess I should be happy if I can hold that for 1,500. I'll set off at that pace anyway.

Thurs 5.9k run @ 6min/km pace

Sometimes training is the best feeling in the world (immediately after Tuesdays FTP for example), sometimes it really sucks, and tonight was that sort of night. I had two tests planned, an easy jog to see how my ankle reacted, and the 1,500mTT. Easy slow jog around Arklow, and there is still soreness upon running. I was limping a bit after, not too bad now, but enough to tell me another week without running is called for. Pretty p^ssed off, but what can you do, these are the breaks.

Next back to the pool, the kids were swimming before me, but the extraction system is still down, lots of kids coughing, so the coaches pulled the plug on the lesson, all go home. So no swim for us afterwards, the TT has been postponed till Monday. Pity, as I was nicely psyched up for it, but that will wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Why don't you do like Dory and try some aqua jogging?

To be honest I only want to run to build up the stress, and adapt to that. My swim and bike fitness are where I want them to be at the moment, I can build strength and cardio through them. If I can't run, I can't be specific about improving my running, and I don't think aquajogging would add much that pure swimming or biking don't already give. I think aquajogging is more useful when you are run-injured and have a run-specific goal.

Run will be my weakest discipline anyway, because of historic impact/breakdown issues. If I can get a sub20 min Sprint run I'll be content, and that could be done off 4 weeks running before my main event, if needs be. With a longer, dedicated run training schedule, I'd perhaps take a minute off that. So in a way its swings and roundabouts- if I need to focus the training on non-impact for the next while, I'll find that minute in the swim and bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Ah ok I thought you might just be missing running and the running buzz.

• Advertisement

Ah ok I thought you might just be missing running and the running buzz.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I miss running buzz, but its something I mainly got from hill and trail running, of which I did a lot. Running offroad downhill very fast was the best of all. Unfortunately I've resigned to knee injuries from all that impact, so running has been curtailed a lot. Running on flat roads just doesn't come close to the same buzz. Thankfully, sea swimming is a great substitute, and is low impact, so I just get the buzz somewhere else. Doing hard turbos with your brain screaming "Stop!" is a good substitute for slogging up a steep hill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I absolutely love running in water, but it doesn't give me that delicious buzz from mainlining endorphins like running on a conventional treadmill does. :D

To be honest I only want to run to build up the stress, and adapt to that. My swim and bike fitness are where I want them to be at the moment, I can build strength and cardio through them. If I can't run, I can't be specific about improving my running, and I don't think aquajogging would add much that pure swimming or biking don't already give. I think aquajogging is more useful when you are run-injured and have a run-specific goal.

Run will be my weakest discipline anyway, because of historic impact/breakdown issues. If I can get a sub20 min Sprint run I'll be content, and that could be done off 4 weeks running before my main event, if needs be. With a longer, dedicated run training schedule, I'd perhaps take a minute off that. So in a way its swings and roundabouts- if I need to focus the training on non-impact for the next while, I'll find that minute in the swim and bike.

Alot to be said for aqua jogging, its not so much the cardio but things like the fact your VMOs will disappear very quickly. Were it not such a long drive to the pool I'm sure your coach would suggest aqua jogging.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I absolutely love running in water, but it doesn't give me that delicious buzz from mainlining endorphins like running on a conventional treadmill does. :D

Ever try alter-g?

Fri 45 min turbo

Plan:
    10 easy
    5x(30sec build, 30sec easy)
    4x(4 120%, 2 easy)
    5 easy

My new FTP means 120%=348W.

The builds were fine, hitting 380W+

The first two 4 mins were very (very) hard. I kept a 359W av for the first, then collapsed for the two min easy. Into the next, again very tough, held 355W av. The third one broke me though, my legs just would not move after 1:20, so I split the last 2 into 4*2mins with 2mins rest in between. Not ideal, but all I could do. Didn't hit the split button for the first two (about 348W, 340W), and the last two were harder still at 332W and 343W.

I had a back-and-forth with tunney regarding the above, probably more useful tossing it out here because its relevant to FTP tests etc.
    Kurt wrote:
    I didn't hit the target because:
    1. I gave up.
    2. 4*4min at 120% means you were testing how true my FTP was. I was expected to give up.

Not saying No. 2 is correct, but its not wholly false either!
    tunney wrote:
    I didn't expect you to give up. I was curious though. Its a good way of testing if the 0.95 is accurate. Trust but verify.

If we used 0.92 120% would be 336, thats easier no? Now you are thinking, emm maybe could have done that. 0.9 is 329 and you are thinking definitely could have done that.

0.95 as a multiplier seems too high. Being honest it is for most. In all my time only met 3 people for whom it was accurate.
    People use 0.95 to get the highest number to swing their mickeys.

I suspect 0.92 closer for you. Comments?

Comment is yes, 0.95 is too high a multiplier in that I couldn't hold 4*4mins at 120%. Or rather, I could, but didn't. The only true way of verifying is to do a 60 min bike at 290W, granted everyone knows that, so then we're left with using the 95% FTP number as a basis for training zones, and on todays basis it is too high.

"Ah that number Pi, its 3 point something"

Sometimes precision after the first decimal place is really important

"Ah that number Pi, its 3 point something"

Sometimes precision after the first decimal place is really important

I rounded up my FTP number from 289.75
    <swings mickey>

I rounded up my FTP number from 289.75
    <swings mickey>

Does your wife know what you are doing with your tweezers?

• Advertisement

Does your wife know what you are doing with your tweezers?

Precision tweezers.

I'll go with 0.92 as a multiplier, meaning my FTP is a still-well-endowed 281.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement