Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard Deviation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I rounded up my FTP number from 289.75
    <swings mickey>

getting your lad out and showing it to everyone, a lot like that night we met Dory

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

tunney wrote: »
    getting your lad out and showing it to everyone, a lot like that night we met Dory

None of the girls were interested, they were much more impressed with Bambataa'a or zico's...

We're still talking about FTP, right?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

None of the girls were interested, they were much more impressed with Bambataa'a or zico's...

Interested wasnt even there.

We didnt see anything hanging out, and I dont think that was down to low lighting or a small FTP. You boys are all talk. Anyway, you should know, women want the whole package, not just a package.

Gotta love Fridays :D

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Gotta love Fridays :D
    I have no training to distract me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Bambaata and Zico were doing what?! :confused:

You had to be there RQ. Good fun though. As zico said, its a bit ironic that it took someone coming over from the States to get a gang from the forum together on a night out. We should try and organize something similar another time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Ever try alter-g?

No. But it looks interesting.

If the P was F and T, then no wonder I missed it!! ;)

And remember, I was sandwiched right in between those two like an Oreo cookie. :D
    You had to be there RQ. Good fun though. As zico said, its a bit ironic that it took someone coming over from the States to get a gang from the forum together on a night out. We should try and organize something similar another time.

So. Much. Fun. !!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yep was thinking the same thing...shame I missed it.
    Dory Dory wrote: »

And remember, I was sandwiched right in between those two like an Oreo cookie. :D

You're just trying to make me jealous...how could you do anything all evening other than look at their pretty little faces? ;)

• Advertisement

You're just trying to make me jealous...how could you do anything all evening other than look at their pretty little faces? ;)

Well, Oreo cookies are quite yummy you know. ;)

Sat 2:10 easy bike

In 3 sections:
    41 mins @ 31kph av to help at Micks Annacurra race
    29 mins @ 25kph back
    1:00 easy turbo at 156Wav

IMRA races are the best, Mick hosts a local one nearby so I biked to it to help on laptop. Had a blast; chatting to people I've not seen for a while (I've not been in the hills for a couple of years), and having a laugh with new people just met. Great fun. The crowd that attend these races are some of the best in sport, more chilled out than Tri heads. No transition to worry about or stress over! Really enjoyed the day, very well hosted race as usual, well done Mick.

Bike back into a rising headwind (with a big backpack- not aero!) and made it back just before the rain, onto the turbo to run down the clock.

Sun 52min turbo with 4*(5mins @ 120%, 2 min ez)

I fiddled around with my FTP multiplier, bringing it down to 0.92, which means an FTP of 280.6, and 120% of this is 337W, so that was the target. I couldn't hold it for more than 2 splits, in the end I did:
    5 mins @ 339W
    2 mins easy
    5 mins @ 340W
    2 mins easy
    3 mins @ 339W
    2 mins easy
    2 mins @ 342W
    2 mins easy
    2 mins @ 348W
    2 mins easy

I was wrecked after each. Going to have to reconsider how much pain holding 120% entails, as I'm not happy at missing sessions like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Always good to catch up. Thanks again.

A huge congratulations on the exams. You worked hard to get over the line. Now you can really apply yourself to Tri :)

Cheers Mick, passing the QFA was one of my main goals for the past year, delighted to have got it. Now there is the small matter of one final exam in June for the maths degree! I won't know what to do with myself after that.

Sun PM 2,700m swim

200sw,200p,100k
    4x50 des 1-4 on 60
    400sw,4x100B+B + 15s
    300sw,3x100B+B + 15s
    200sw,2x100B+B + 15s
    100sw,100B+B + 15s

Just managed to grab the last 50mins before the pool closed for the day, so missed the cooldown- no big deal. The 4*50des were 43-39 sec. The sw pace was about 1:45 throughout, the 100's B&B about the same. I learned a lot about kick by alternating sw and B&B. Sometimes a lighter kick for positions is better, there's always a tradeoff in energy required when kicking.

Mon 2,500m swim with 1,500m TT

After a warmup, we decided on position. I went second, which meant I had an excellent draft from Alex. My own pace is very much flattered by that, but drafting is fine in Tri's so no harm done. It wasn't too hard to keep the pace, he'd lose me sometimes but I'd work back in the length to get back on those magical bubbles. My stroke and breathing were very controlled throughout. I didn't check the watch until near the end, so had no idea of pace. When I did check, I glanced 22:50 time elapsed so started the mental arithmetic and figured 150m to go... but in fact it was our final 50, so finished quicker than I thought.

1,500m in 23:38, that's 1:34/100m pace.

Well done you!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

Its all about the calves, bout the calvies, no achilles......

I'm sure you've been steered in the right direction but make sure to Google eccentric heel drops. Also, don't overly focus on a massive push off when you're swimming lots in a small pool, it significantly increases the load on the calves. Having access to a 50m pool has ancillary advantages.

Notwitch wrote: »
    Also, don't overly focus on a massive push off when you're swimming lots in a small pool, it significantly increases the load on the calves. Having access to a 50m pool has ancillary advantages.

Absolutely, thats good advice. I used get very bad calf cramps while swimming, and touch turning. I do a lot more tumbles now, and even when I do touch-turn (like in last nights TT with traffic) I don't use the legs for a great push anymore. Makes a big difference.

I could probably chance a run now but I'll wait a couple more days until it feels 100%.

Tue 51min turbo

I notated this session incorrectly, it should have been:

6 easy
    4x(1HC, 30sec easy)
    4x(30sec build, 30sec build)
    1x(130%, 1 easy)
    2x(120%, 2 easy)
    3x(110%, 2 easy)
    4x(100%, 2 easy)
    5x(95%, 2 easy)
    5 easy

And I did:
    6 easy
    4x(1HC, 30sec easy)
    4x(30sec build, 30sec build)
    1x(1 130%, 1 easy) (400W av)
    2x(1 120%, 1 easy) (363, 397)
    3x(1 110%, 1 easy) (348, 333, 338)
    4x(1 100%, 1 easy) (315, 316, 312, 316)
    5x(1 95%, 1 easy) (307, 299, 306, 313, 354)
    5 easy

Didn't cop it till nearly done, ah well.

• Advertisement

Wed 2,700m swim

200sw,200p,100k
    5x(400sw on 7:30)
    4 x 50 ez and hypoxic

The goal for the 400's was "perfect pacing and form, best even effort", so I targeted just under 1:40 pace, which was quite manageable and felt comfortable throughout. Pacing was solid, each 400 came in between 6:35-6:37. I tumble turned for the first four, touch-turned for the last, just to note any difference. My tumbles are getting smoother, and I prefer them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Wed 2,700m swim

200sw,200p,100k
    5x(400sw on 7:30)
    4 x 50 ez and hypoxic

The goal for the 400's was "perfect pacing and form, best even effort", so I targeted just under 1:40 pace, which was quite manageable and felt comfortable throughout. Pacing was solid, each 400 came in between 6:35-6:37. I tumble turned for the first four, touch-turned for the last, just to note any difference. My tumbles are getting smoother, and I prefer them now.

Was there a difference?
    And maybe you'll do the tumble turns last the next time, just so it's a fair test.

zico10 wrote: »
    Was there a difference?
    And maybe you'll do the tumble turns last the next time, just so it's a fair test.

The touch turns were slightly slower- in that I had to up the tempo slightly over the last 100m to make the overall 6:35.

What I'm happy about is the tumbles felt very fluid at this pace, and that fed into the steady, comfortable, feel of the session. The touch turns at the end fed into a broken 400, made it feel a lot more like 16*25. I was interested in the difference as the guy ahead of me during the 1,500TT tumbled each time, while I touched, and he made a slight gap each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good job on the 1500TT. What was your secret goal going in and what is it now?

Good job on the 1500TT. What was your secret goal going in and what is it now?

Secret goal going in was <25mins (1:40 pace), so I was fairly shocked at the time when I saw it. Although lets be honest, the draft counts for an awful lot. If I did <24mins leading out I'd be happier.

Thurs 44 min turbo

10 easy
    5x(30sec build, 30sec easy)
    4x(4 120%, 2 easy)
    5 easy

4*4min were 343W, 343, 340, 339, and the last two felt very tough.

Thurs PM 1,600m swim and deckwork

400m easy
    5*50 as 25 max, 25 ez, 10s rest
    Main Set
    20 Burpees (I only did 12)
    50m max
    1 min rest
    15 sit-ups
    10 press-ups
    5 squats
    4*25 max swim kick, 10sec rest
    1 min rest
    Repeat 5 times
    200m swim down

I was tired from the earlier turbo, the pool had no extraction so the air was heavy, my calf was tight... enough excuses? I'm crap at burpees, but tried a few, all the while testing the calf. Seemed to pass. The rest was a blur, just following what the others were doing really.

Me, Oryx, career move....at UCD.....on deck with you: which ones of us had our toenails painted, and who had which color? :D

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Me, Oryx, career move....at UCD.....on deck with you: which ones of us had our toenails painted, and who had which color? :D

Trick question- both yourself and Oryx had no toenails left after Donadea, CM had every toenail painted by George Stubbs.

(Nabbed... ask me about everyones stroke and I might have a clue!)

• Advertisement

Trick question- both yourself and Oryx had no toenails left after Donadea, CM had every toenail painted by George Stubbs.

(Nabbed... ask me about everyones stroke and I might have a clue!)

Wrong!! :D

Oryx had hers painted red, mine were dark purple, and career move had hers au naturel. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement