Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard Deviation

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Wrong!! :D

Oryx had hers painted red, mine were dark purple, and career move had hers au naturel. :)

Hello... metaphors Dory, lets not be so literal! Red and Purple=Donadea War Wounds, and Stubbs was one of the greatest Naturalist painters around.

What do I win?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Hello... metaphors Dory, lets not be so literal! Red and Purple=Donadea War Wounds, and Stubbs was one of the greatest Naturalist painters around.

What do I win?;)

A pedicure with the polish color of your choice to be applied by the hoochie of your choosing? :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Me, Oryx, career move....at UCD.....on deck with you: which ones of us had our toenails painted, and who had which color? :D

Me and Kurt at UCD.........Who had less hair? Who was taller? Who smelt best? Who had the biggest package? ;)

griffin100 wrote: »
    Me and Kurt at UCD.........Who had less hair? Who was taller? Who smelt best? Who had the biggest package? ;)

We're back to this, are we? ;)
    tunney wrote: »
    getting your lad out and showing it to everyone, a lot like that night we met Dory

(Kurt, Kurt, definitely you, and what size shoe do you boys wear? ;):))

Fri 60min turbo easy 165Wav

Sat Nothing

Sun Courttown Indoor Tri

I couldn't get anything done yesterday, I was too busy. Last night I found out a local leisure centre were holding an indoor Tri, so I signed up on a whim. I needed to blow off some steam from recent work stress, and there is no better way to make you feel alive than a race.

The format was a 1,000m swim, then 5 mins to change, onto a gym bike for 20k, then onto a treadmill for 6km run. The race is being held throughout the day, everyone is allocated a start time, lowest cumulative time wins. I started at 9am.

Swim 15:54 for 1,000m
    Very happy with this, I started steady and controlled my pace throughout. This was possibly the smoothest I've ever swam, I was totally in control of all aspects of the swim. Bilateral breathing moved to BE2 after about 300m, but thats ok. My catch and pull were perfect, and my kick was just what it needed to be. I finished steady, with enough left in the tank to tackle the next part of a race. 15:54 is about 1:36/100m pace, and is a PB by 35 seconds. Delighted with the swim.

Bike 20k in 30:00
    I started on 310W, and kept upping the power as the bike went on. At halfway I figured that 30mins might be possible, and so I kept putting up the resistance to get closer to that magical figure. By the end I had it over 400W, and just about made 30 mins. Of course, a gym bike can't be relied on for accuracy, but nonetheless I had a solid bike.

Run 30:07 for 6k
    Right from the off I knew this would be tough. I've not run in weeks, my heel is still sore, and sure enough I found even 5min/km pace hard going. After two km my heel was sore so I thought I'd pull out, but put the speed down to walking pace for a while instead. That seemed to help, so I upped the pace again and kept going. Didn't enjoy the run at all, but what's new in that. Heel is sore now, but I was going to test it today anyhow.

• Advertisement

Mon 3,200 Masters Swim

200m warm up
    20x50 free 25 kick/ 25 swim 10s
    10x50 free pull buoy in 40/10s
    main set
    10x100 free on 1:40
    400 choice swim down

The kicks were better than usual.
    The pb was tough but made 40s each time, solid swimming without too much effort.
    I led off for the first 3 100's... with sharks on my tail, the first was in 1:19:rolleyes: way too fast. The next two in under 1:30, that's better; and I moved down the order to hit the rest in 1:30-1:32. Overall they felt tough, but not like the killer set they might have felt a while back. There's been a big recent improvement in my swimming.

Which is just as well, as my running has gone to pot. Limping around the place today. I felt a calf muscle "twang" during tonights swim and that seemed to help somehow- I'm walking easier now. That tells me a trip to a physio is warranted.

Tue 45 min turbo

6 easy
    4x(1HC, 30sec easy)
    4x(30sec build, 30sec build)
    1x(130%, 1 easy) (about 400W av)
    2x(120%, 2 easy) (about 345W av)
    3x(110%, 2 easy) (315W)
    4x(100%, 2 easy) (296W)
    5x(95%, 2 easy) (294W)
    5 easy

"Lets do it right this week" was the message, and I made sure to transcribe the workout correctly. It felt easier than last weeks basterdized version, even with the average Watts higher than the prescribed %'ages.

Wed 2,600m swim

200sw,200p,100k
    10x50p as 25fist, 25 fast
    12x100 alt sw/P/B+B on 01:50 as sw easy, B+B steady, P mod hard
    4x50 fast on 60 (44,43,43,42)
    200 choice easy

The 100's were around 1:36-1:41 depending on level of restriction. I didn't feel great in the water for some reason, but kept everything steady rather than fighting pace. There was two on my tail during the 100's who were swimming, but didn't think they would handle off 1:50 pace. In the end they managed all 12, and were very happy with that. Good for them!

PM 46 mins easy turbo

Happy super pie day!!!!! :D

Happy super pie day!!!!! :D

Ha! Only in America! No 31st of April over here- but sure I'll celebrate today anyway :)

*Edit- my son just explained "super" pi day... 3/14/15....

• Advertisement

Ha! Only in America! No 31st of April over here- but sure I'll celebrate today anyway :)

*Edit- my son just explained "super" pi day... 3/14/15....

And on this day that only occurs once a century, the student becomes the teacher. ;)

I hope you had a super pie/pi day. :)

Thursday I turned up to the pool, watched the fish do their stuff. Once they started fast fly and kick drills, a cloud of chlorine hung over like a mist. You could not see one side of the pool to the other through it. My two were coughing too, so the coach pulled the session and I took them home, no swim for me.
    Fri, Sat, Sun, I did no training. Work took over, work and exhaustion. The few days off were needed, I was mentally drained. I've have a lot going on the past two years, and this last 12 months in particular have been extremely demanding. I'm conscious that Tri is a hobby, and is way down the list of priorities, so if I have to pull back a bit, Tri is the first to suffer. I still have big personal Tri goals, but they are a lot smaller than my other goals. Perspective is important, and I feel a lot better now.

Mon 45 min easy turbo; 2,500m swim

warm up
    200 free
    8x75 free 25k/25d/25s 15s
    main set
    20x50 free --> 5x on 1:00/15
    5x on 45/5
    5x on 1:00/15
    5x on 45/5
    10x50 25 back kick/ 25 fly drill 10s
    200 choice swim down

The 5x45 were to target 5 seconds rest, a big ask, but the coach said making the 45 was more important. I led off tonight, the first 5 on 1:00 were in 38-45, no problem, then down to the meat of the session. Got the first set of 5 on 45 in 39-43; job done. Then an extra 15 seconds rest, and repeat. Second set of 5 on 1:00 were all in a relaxed 50s, so I managed to get my breath back, before hitting the second 5 on 45. These felt a lot tougher, I was lying that I could bail after two, then three, but got them all done, in 42-45. Wrecked afterwards, but this was a good session to hit, happy in the showers after.

Perspective is so important. It's good for all of us to be reminded of that from time to time. :)

Perspective is so important. It's good for all of us to be reminded of that from time to time. :)

It is important all right. However, its also a bit of a curse. Any time I have excelled in any field, I have lost all sense of perspective and been tunnel-visioned towards my goal. From what I can see, those that win Triathlon races have a single important goal, and thats the win. A different type of perspective!

;) Happy St. Paddy's Day. :)

Tue 2 hour turbo @ 173W av
    ;) Happy St. Paddy's Day. :)

Cheers, and you too Dory! May all your toe hairs be green ones, and may you be 5 minutes finished IM before the Divil knows ye've left T2, begorrah.

Took the family for their long overdue first visit to the St. Paddy's day parade in Dublin, good buzz around, everyone enjoyed themselves. I had a long bike scheduled but family took precedence. Walking back afterwards we passed the Market Bar and stopped for a bite to eat- very different than the last time we were there! Loads of green hats, kids running everywhere, rushed service, and the food wasn't up to scratch. I had one beer as I know its what the coach would have wanted, and it was flat when it arrived. I had another too (just to see if there was a pattern).

Back home, I hopped on the turbo and started a structured 50min session, but the beer made it difficult to hold 120% (336W) for the required 5*4mins, so I bailed during the third of them, and just kept it easy pace for a full two hours. So, 4 mins @ 331W, 4 mins @ 327, and I bailed to easy pace.

Wed 2,550m swim

200sw,200p,100k
    4x50fist + 10s
    7x200 mod hard but controlled + 20sec
    6x50 fast on 60
    200 choice easy

The pool was closed yesterday so I moved the scheduled swim to today. The 200's were off 3:30, in 3:10, 3:15, 3:18, 3:19, 3:14, 3:12, 3:12, without a huge amount of effort. I'm pleased because I tumbled for all except the two slowest, which tells me my turns are getting faster. The 6*50 were all in 41-42s.

Wed PM 50 mins turbo

10 easy
    5x(30sec build, 30sec easy)
    5x(4 120%, 2 easy)
    5 easy

I found this very tough. 120% FTP is 336W, which I only managed for the first three 4min reps, before breaking on the fourth and fifth. Averages were 334W, 344, 340, 325, 270. Legs were just sapped of energy- I'll blame it on having a 10-yr old sitting on my shoulders for an hour at the parade yesterday.

Perspective; in this case hers, looking over the crowd :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Wed PM 50 mins turbo

10 easy
    5x(4 120%, 2 easy)
    5 easy

I found this very tough. 120% FTP is 336W, which I only managed for the first three 4min reps, before breaking on the fourth and fifth. Averages were 334W, 344, 340, 325, 270. Legs were just sapped of energy- I'll blame it on having a 10-yr old sitting on my shoulders for an hour at the parade yesterday.

Perspective; in this case hers, looking over the crowd :)

5x (4 120%) = ouch!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Ah 5X4 @ 120%, only 20mins of work in total but what a wonderful 20mins of suffering:)
    Knowing coach you might be fortunate enough to get to repeat this next week and get revenge....before you go to 5x5 that is ;)

• Advertisement

Thurs 22k bike; 1:10 Masters crossfit

29.2 kph, hillyish loop, felt grand. 5*sprints were about 20s or so. Lovely day to be out on the bike.

Warm up
    200 free
    10x50 free kick/30s plank 15s rest
    Main set
    4x25 free 10s rest
    1. 25 Swim
    2. 25 kick max dive
    3. 25 swim
    4. 25 kick max dive
    1min plank/30* press ups/30s plank 1min rest
    Repeat 5 times
    Descending press-ups 30,25,20,15,30; as the sets repeat.

Ah, this was tough, one of his crossfit hell-ish sessions. Lots of planking, lots of slowly counting down the seconds, but I made them all. My core is a lot stronger than its ever been, with all these planks.

Fri 4,200m swim

Some of the Masters guys were meeting up for a lunchtime swim, target was 5*1,000 at 1:40 pace. I could just about squeeze in 4 of them before I had to leave, but it was a very good use of time. Times were:

1st: 15:30 (1:32/100m pace). I was on feet for the first 75m before they dropped me. Nevertheless, I kept up a decent pace and was very pleased with the result. This is a PB by 29 seconds.
    2:30 rest
    2nd: 16:13 (1:37/100m pace). This one I led out, purposefully slowed the pace down a bit, it was a good controlled swim.
    2:30 rest
    3rd: 16:35 (1:39/100m pace). Dropped after 40m (the guy ahead did 14:30 for this one!), but a good controlled swim again.
    3:30 rest
    4th: 17:43 (1:43/100m pace). I was tiring during this swim, and started to cramp during it, which meant a few quick stops to stretch.

Sat 2:58:37 bike spin @ 22.8kph av (876m elevation gain)

What a beautiful morning to get out! I took the roadie out for a hilly spin over Croughan Kinsella, Ballyfad, Coolgreany, Inch, Gorey, then around Tara Hill (great views of the sea), into Arklow, and back up the steep climb to Ballyfad and then up and over Croughan again. That was my first time taking the roadie out in a while- its a lot more comfortable for these type of rides than the TT back, but a good deal slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Ah 5X4 @ 120%, only 20mins of work in total but what a wonderful 20mins of suffering:)
    Knowing coach you might be fortunate enough to get to repeat this next week and get revenge....before you go to 5x5 that is ;)

That won't be happening. To push boundaries both the subconscious and conscious need to believe that what's been attempted is possible. Some have full conscious belief but fail because the subconscious (mind-body) doesn't agree. Some, like Kurt at this point, lack the belief at an intellectual level and consequently any and all attempts will fail so this belief needs to be built in other ways. Hammering away at the same session expecting a different result would be the epitome of futility.

tunney wrote: »
    That won't be happening. To push boundaries both the subconscious and conscious need to believe that what's been attempted is possible. Some have full conscious belief but fail because the subconscious (mind-body) doesn't agree. Some, like Kurt at this point, lack the belief at an intellectual level and consequently any and all attempts will fail so this belief needs to be built in other ways. Hammering away at the same session expecting a different result would be the epitome of futility.

This is like the angry hurling manager breaking hurls in the dressing room telling his lads at half-time they are shyte and useless- "now go out there and prove me wrong".

A self-referential belief system. Stick up the session, I'll make it. :)

Actually, having had a little think about this, I mistook your point. I thought you meant "mind/body" in some "up for the session" kind of way. But now I think you're more talking about the Central Governor and limits.

Actually, having had a little think about this, I mistook your point. I thought you meant "mind/body" in some "up for the session" kind of way. But now I think you're more talking about the Central Governor and limits.

You need to believe you can do it and your hind brain needs to believe is safe for you to do. If consciously you don't truely believe the safety switches will always trip. Your conscious belief needs to be built up without you realising it until one day you twig "I really am as strong as I'm being lead to believe". Then the real fun can start.

Sun 10k mountain hike; 50mins turbo

My achilles has been feeling better, and I'm dying to test it out. Patience and baby steps are what is needed, so a hike (rather than run) out along the Derrybawn Ridge was the perfect trial. The best sort of Spring day to be out there, fantastic views, good dry ground. My daughter was running ahead along the ridge, so I had to jog to catch up a few sections- no issue with the achilles. We'll see what its like tomorrow, and if there is no pain or stiffness, I'll chance a 1km jog.

Turbo:
    10 easy
    10x(2:45 90%, 15sec 110-120%)
    5 easy

90%=252W, 120%=338W

Bit of a sweatfest, but I was comfortably over those targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

getting practice in for Ballybraid :)

• Advertisement

Sun 10k mountain hike; 50mins turbo

My achilles has been feeling better, and I'm dying to test it out. Patience and baby steps are what is needed, so a hike (rather than run) out along the Derrybawn Ridge was the perfect trial. The best sort of Spring day to be out there, fantastic views, good dry ground. My daughter was running ahead along the ridge, so I had to jog to catch up a few sections- no issue with the achilles. We'll see what its like tomorrow, and if there is no pain or stiffness, I'll chance a 1km jog.

Turbo:
    10 easy
    10x(2:45 90%, 15sec 110-120%)
    5 easy

90%=252W, 120%=338W

Bit of a sweatfest, but I was comfortably over those targets.

No more. 1km. No "oh I'll just do a triathlon to test it"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement