Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard Deviation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done, set the target and went for it. Imagine if you set 6:30 as the target etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Thurs 62 mins turbo

Sufferfest "Downward Spiral". This week is all about introducing a bit of intensity into some of my sessions, and this was the toughest, two sets of intervals, full on. The sweat-o-meter is now firmly encased in crystalized salt deposits, and the turbo in danger of sinking in Lough Allas. One of those sessions where time stands still, and you are hyper aware of momentous existence as you count down the last ten seconds of each interval.

Thurs PM 3,500m swim with Masters group

I was looking forward to this swim, its totally new and unexpected to me. After a warm up we did 100m IM (I had to ask the order of strokes!), which was my first time ever trying fly for more than two strokes. It's tough! Anyway, got the 100 done, then into 4*25hard, 25 easy, and I gave it what I had for the hard. I'm out of my depth in this group, but that's great, as its forcing me to up my game to stay up.

Next was 3*(4*25fly with pull in 30, 10 rest; 2*50back, 2*100pull off 1:45). The 4 lengths of fly were an absolute killer- it was all I could do to keep my arms turning over. A tough session, but great to try something different.

For the swim-down I had one thought on my mind... that MCOS would be swimming at the same time, looking to get that first swim gold;) So I kept plugging away until I had my required distance done. The SBR is great for that, challenging you to do a bit more, and trying to battle the little rivalries around your position. I'd never have done as much swimming if not for it:)

Not sure I'll be back in the pool until next week. Opportunity for you to move 2 swims clear :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I wish I had been a fly on the wall watching you do butterfly! :D

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »

Now that's a stroke that would benefit from tether work, I would imagine. Really difficult, you have to become a wave (from what I can make out). You'd have fallen from your wall with laughter.:)

Fri 10k run

Achilles still hurts, so any runs I do for the next ages will be on grass. This one was loops of a field, which drive you mad with boredom, but it has to be done. Slow start, then picking it up a bit for the first 5k, then slow, then pick up again. 9k of this, then 1km warm down. The heel loosened up during the slow first few km, but started to bite a bit towards the end.

PM 2,400m swim

Easy swim, the first half of which was in the crowded main section, the next half in a lane, being raced by a guy wearing fins for every 25m he swam at a time, who had the worst hand entry I've ever seen. Each to their own I guess; I plugged away, concentrating on high elbow and stroke rotation.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dory Dory wrote: »
    His attempt is more accurately described as drowning moth.

Oryx wrote: »
    His attempt is more accurately described as drowning moth.

Ouch! A stinging description from someone who never even saw the attempt. Yet, sadly, so very accurate...;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Ouch! A stinging description from someone who never even saw the attempt. Yet, sadly, so very accurate...;)
    I could say I was a fly on the wall, but I know how it looked because I am as good as you at butterfly.

Oryx wrote: »
    I could say I was a fly on the wall, but I know how it looked because I am as good as you.

The moth description I could just about take, but these low blows just keep on comin'...
    :)

• Advertisement

Body mass + water displacement + crazy @ss splash = I'm thinking the lifeguards probably had to add some water to the pool after your display. ;):D

Sat 1:45 turbo

Sufferfest "Blender".
    This was my second attempt at completing this long SF workout- it really hard, a mash-up of lots of different stuff, with a load of flat-out intervals slapped in the middle. Hard work throughout.

Sun 60 mins easy turbo
    I felt tired today so took a rest day.

Weekly Summary|Session|Comment

Monday|120mins turbo|SufferFest IWBMATTKYT, tough effort
    Tuesday|2.25k swim; 6.85k run@5:15 pace|Swim drills. Recovery run, achilles tight after.
    Wednesday|2,500m swim|incl 400mTT in 6:36, went off way too fast (1:26)
    Thursday|62 min toubo; 3,200 swim|Sufferfest "Downward Spiral", very hard effort; swim included fly 25's
    Friday|10k run on grass; 2,400m swim|Picked up the run pace towards the end; easy swim
    Saturday|1:45 turbo| Sufferfest "Blender", very hard effort
    Sunday| 60min turbo| Felt tired today, so skipped the run
    Weekly km|Swim 10.65k Bike 165k Run 16.93k| Decent bike intensity, swim ok, run was very low because of achilles
    2014 km|Swim 36.45k Bike 455k Run 78.18k

Mon 10k run 4:53pace

The achilles feels a lot better today- perhaps from foam rolling, perhaps from an easy day yesterday. In any case, I chanced a run, using my KSwiss shoes with chunky heel, to minimise achilles stretch. I felt good from the start, keeping the pace under 5min/km for the first time in a while, and quickening as I went.

A few more runs like this, spread slowly over a few weeks, interspersed with easy grass runs, is the plan for the next couple of weeks. Meanwhile, swim intensity needs to ramp up (sets of 100's), and I'll maintain the bike intensity.

PM 60mins turbo

Easy spinning- I'm using these easy turbos to stretch the achilles.

Tue 3,500m swim
    400m warm up
    Main set:
    6*200 off 3:40 av pace 1:44/100m
    50m easy
    6*100 off 1:50 av pace 1:42/100m
    50m easy
    6*50m off 55 (av pace 1:3x/100m, Garmin borked)

The idea here (robbed from the swimming forum), was 5*200,150,100,50 sets, off the same time, but increasing the pace for each. After the 3rd 200 I quickly realised it was beyond my current abilities, so I decided to increase the sets to reps of 6, and ditch the 150's. My pace did quicken between the sets, but I probably did the 200's a little fast, in that I expected the 100's to come in faster. Nevertheless, I'm happy enough at the time of those 200's, for mid-January.

Tue PM 63 mins turbo

Including SF "A very Dark Place", which was done at a pretty hard intensity. Bike stuff is going well so far, I'm happy enough on the turbo for the moment, but will have to venture outdoors at some stage soon.

Hey, luv....when is your first race?

Howdy sweetcheeks, first race of the season will be Lough Cutra Oly on 25th May. The plan is to take the family down with caravan for the weekend, I'll have two very eager Cormorant and Widgeon going in the kids races afterwards.

Real time water temperature in Key West is over 70˚F (I just checked)... I presume this is too hot and soup-like for human exposure, hence you browsing Boards and sipping Pina Colada's instead?;)

Howdy sweetcheeks, first race of the season will be Lough Cutra Oly on 25th May. The plan is to take the family down with caravan for the weekend, I'll have two very eager Cormorant and Widgeon going in the kids races afterwards.

Real time water temperature in Key West is over 70˚F (I just checked)... I presume this is too hot and soup-like for human exposure, hence you browsing Boards and sipping Pina Colada's instead?;)

<marks calendar for big doings on May 25th>

Cormorant and Widgeon? Ha, funny!!! :D

Oh, my poor little body that has to be exposed to such icy water conditions. I'll be chilled to the bone by the time I get out of the frigid ocean!!! But it's been rainy today....so after a horrible run, enjoyable pool swim, a pancake feast, and some massive window shopping, I took the opportunity to put my feet up and snooze and browse. No Pina Colada's...but maybe a passion fruit mojito later at dinner! ;)

Wed Lunch, 7.5k easy run; PM 2,650m swim

The run was a handy jaunt around a football field, boring as hell, but it has the required flat grassy surface.

My two kids get swim coached an hour before our Tri coached session (all by the same coach). They have just started with the swim club this January, so are in the slow lane, but are fierce competitive- always trying to overtake each other, or racing the faster lane if they can. Tonight they were doing fly, and my son took to it like a fish out of water. He was keeping pace with the faster lane, and beating them on occaision, but he is just so strong, and built for this stroke. I was amazed at the speed he got to (ditto little Miss), faster than I could do fly, thats for sure. Proud dad beaming from the sidelines:)

Afterwards I got in myself for our hour. Set was:
    400m of 50free/50choice
    6*(100 free, 100 kick, 100 pull, 30 sec rest)
    6*25 (12.5 sprint, 12.5 easy)
    200 free
    6*25 (12.5 sprint, 12.5 easy)

I knew from the get-go I had yesterday's swim still in my arms, but the main set was pretty forgiving tonight. Kick remains a big weakness- I really feel the pain right through each 100. At one stage I mentally switched off for 10m, but then I got annoyed at myself, so did the rest of the kicks at a high intensity, swimming in hurt.

No pain, no basin.:)

• Advertisement

No pain, no basin.:)

LMAO :D it could be our new Forum version of HTFU!! Cracked up laughing at Oryx's post earlier.

So, is this your biggest swim month ever? You are now 3 swims ahead of me so I reckon thats as good as out of sight for this month. Fazz sneaking up quietly on us both too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Howdy sweetcheeks, first race of the season will be Lough Cutra Oly on 25th May. The plan is to take the family down with caravan for the weekend

Any space for me & Tunney in the caravan? Catch up with you over there.

Thurs 3,000m Masters group swim

500 as 25 free, 25 choice
    4x200 free, 15 secs rest
    10 sit-ups, 10 press-ups, 20 squats, 1 minute plank
    4x100 pull off 1:45
    8x (25 fly, 25 back, 15 sec rest)
    16x 25 pull off 30 sec
    20 sit-ups, 20 press-ups, 30 squats, 1.5 minute plank
    Swim down

This was the third hard swim session in a row- not ideal, but I'm eager while driving over there, so thats half the battle. The guys are way better than I am, and that's a real bonus- it forces you to push much, much, harder than you ordinarily would. I led out for the 200's- no idea what I was in on, but they were fast, as I was terrified of being caught. My deck work isn't up to much- half-hearted pushups, and I didn't last all the third plank minute, but its good core work. The rest of the swim was done at hard effort, and I bailed on the final deck work, but I'm happy with the session.

LMAO :D it could be our new Forum version of HTFU!! Cracked up laughing at Oryx's post earlier.
    I pictured a sadist trainer telling some poor unfortunate dying on the turbo, "You haven't worked hard enough, no puke basin for you! The floor will suffice until I see real pain!"
    So, is this your biggest swim month ever? You are now 3 swims ahead of me so I reckon thats as good as out of sight for this month. Fazz sneaking up quietly on us both too...

Biggest by a long shot I reckon. Consistency (thanks to your SBR table for motivation), and enjoying being in the water, that's what its about. I really want to get my swim as good as it can be, this year.
    Any space for me & Tunney in the caravan? Catch up with you over there.
    Cool! I'll bring extra sausage and beans. What distance are you both doing?

Fri 10k run at 5:19 pace

Up in the forest to test the achilles. A slow start, and it didn't feel too bad. This run was slower than steady, but faster than easy, if that makes any sense. In any case, I'll be happy with just getting any runs in over the next 2-3 weeks, and hopefully the legs will feel better by then, ready to bring in some intensity.

I was going to do turbo tonight but bailed on it- my body feels pretty tired, probably from the swim last night.

Sat 62 mins turbo, 1.75km swim

Sufferfest "The Hunted"- a tough 20mins of climbing followed by shorter attacks. Hard and intense effort throughout, me and that pain monster are becoming very well acquainted.

Later easy recovery lengths in the pool, 1.75km at 1:58 pace. I had the kids with me, we were practising diving, great fun, and not something you get to do very often as an adult.

Sun 3.6km swim, including 3.3k at 1:49 pace

"How far can you swim in an hour"? Just over 3,300m, (buzzer for 60mins went at 3,305m). This is over 75m better than last time I did this a couple of weeks back, and was done with better pacing and better stroke. I started to feel the pinch about 1,500m in, but controlled the stroke well, focussing on maintaining a streamline and forward position. Very happy with how I finished this over the last km, if anything my stroke efficiency improved. That was due to finishing the stroke past the thigh, and pushing back the water all the way (in SwimSmooth terms, "showing the smiley face drawn on your palm to someone behind you"). High elbow throughout.

Sun PM 6k easy run
    Ran with the kids in the forest.

Weekly Summary|Session|Comment

Monday|10k run@4:57 pace; 60mins easy turbo|Run felt good.
    Tuesday|3.5k swim; 63 min turbo|6*200, 100, 50 (pace 1:44, 1:42, 1:3x); SF AvDkPl very hard
    Wednesday|7.5k easy run; 2,650m swim|6*(100 free, kick, pull, 30 sec rest), 12*25 (12.5 sprint, 12.5 easy)
    Thursday|3,000 swim|Masters group, various work incl. deck, very hard
    Friday|10k run@5:19 pace|Felt tired, ditched the scheduled turbo
    Saturday|62 mins turbo, 1.75km swim| Sufferfest "The Hunter", very hard effort. Recovery swim 1:58 pace
    Sunday| 3.6km swim; 6k easy run|3.3k straight in an hour (1:49 pace), felt good and controlled. Easy run with kids.
    Weekly km|Swim 14.5k Bike 87k Run 33.53k| Good swim intensity and volume, bike was hard intensity, run was easy but achilles felt better
    2014 km|Swim 50.95k Bike 542k Run 111.71k

Mon 90 mins turbo

Easy pace, just trying to sweat out a headcold that came on suddenly- its on its way down to the chest now, but lets hope it disappears quick enough.

• Advertisement

Best stay out of the pool then this week, all those germs ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement