Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard Deviation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

great swimming, alot of work going into those improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

interested wrote: »
    great swimming, alot of work going into those improvements.

+1, and to think we were close to each other (time wise ;)) last year.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

^Cheers lads, I've been lucky in that I've had two very good and very patient coaches, and I really, really, really enjoy training in the pool, and seeing the fitness gains work can bring. I don't think I've ever not been happy in the water, and I'm delighted to see this in my kids too.

However, I've a long ways to go yet, and lest I rest on my laurels I got a good lesson in what hard work and dedication can achieve tonight...

Thurs 1,750m swim

We were down to just three in the lane tonight; myself, coach JK, and paralympic champion DMcD. Warm up was 200free, 200 choice, and while the two did fly or breast for their choice, I feverishly tried to keep up by continuing FS. Next was 5*(25 kick, 25 swim, 10 sec rest), and again I struggled to keep up. The main set 3*(75free, 20 pressups, 75free, 20 squats, 75free, 20 situps, 75free, 1min plank) off 10 mins. I determined to do my best and stayed with them for the first 75m- no idea of the time, but it was the faster 75 I've ever done, and the rest of the set suffered because of it. My times slipped as the sets went on too- felt like there was nothing really left in my arms after yesterday. Times were 7:25, 7:40, 8:??, and really they should have been the other way around, getting faster as they progressed.

Still, it was an enjoyable swim, and good to be able to swim in such company.

Fri 10k steady run 47:20

Up along the forest, my calfs were a bit tight so I started off slow and built up from there. First 5k/second 5k 24:06/23:12.

Sat 5,200m swim

Descending set:
    1,600m @ 1:51 pace
    1,250@1:50
    800@1:47
    400@1:42
    1,150m paddles and swim down.

Pool was jam packed with kids, but I found an oasis of an empty lane between the mayhem, and got the set done. Plenty to keep me entertained as I swam: kids walking on the lane ropes, various noodles, balls, and floats being thrown into the lane, wide-eyed kids swimming obliviously across the lanes, and a hottie in a bikini who joined me for the last half hour to keep the heart rate up. Good swim:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nice swim there, did similar yesterday. Tough but the shorter distance at the faster paces is easier to digest when you are done with the 2 longest reps. Fair play you are on great form :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

<flashback to Kurt sucking in gut when running by a hottie>

I bet that last 30 minutes was interesting. ;):D

Sun 2,200m swim

4*(100 swim, 100 paddle, 100 swim, 100 antipaddle); 200m swim down, while the kids splashed in the main pool section, after we all saw the Lego movie. Everything is awesome.

Weekly Summary|Session|Comment

Monday|21.1k hill run; 22k bike|Up Ballycumber, felt decent, finished fast 4:20/km's. Bike Tinahely loop 40:37
    Tuesday|3,500m swim|distance and drills
    Wednesday|25k bike, 3,100m swim|Tinahely loop 39:51; Club swim decent paces
    Thursday|1,750m swim and deckwork|Tough company, felt tired
    Friday|10k run|forest, 47:20, tight calf
    Saturday|5,200m swim|1,600m@1:51;1,250@1:50; 800@1:47; 400@1:42
    Sunday|2,200k swim|Mainly paddles and catch
    Weekly km|Swim 15.75k Bike 48k Run 31.1k| Good swim week. Missed the long bike today, but bike and run paces are where I'd expect them right now.
    2014 km|Swim 132.05 Bike 1,354k Run 293.53k

2,200m swim

5*100 off 1:55 (in 1:36, 1:38, 1:38, 1:39, 1:39)
    Minute rest
    5*100 off 1:50 (in 1:34, 1:36, 1:34, 1:35, 1:34)
    Minute rest
    5*100 off 1:45 (in 1:32, 1:35, 1:35, 1:36, 1:36)
    Minute rest
    5*100 off 1:40 (in 1:33, 1:37, 1:36, 1:37, 1:37)
    200m swim down

Grabbed a quick 40 minutes before the kids club took over the pool. My arms felt a little tired from recent volume, but otherwise felt good in the water. It's time to say bye-bye to Mr. "Off 1:55", he's been a helpful friend but is slowing me down now. Not sure Mr. "Off 1:35" is ready to take me into his gang, but he's much cooler and there's only one way to find out...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Sounds like time for the Shark lane ;). Nice descending set. Might do that for my short swim this week.

• Advertisement

Marty Whelan is a feckin' gobshyte. Every morning I get in the car to drive the kids to school, and his banal witterings start with the engine and ruin my morning. There's not a lot on offer on Irish Radio, and Lyric FM is a usual oasis amongst a desert of lowest-common-denominator pop/rock/gossip aural garbage, so to have this jelly-brained populist put to paid pasture on an otherwise serious bandwidth is galling.

I've travelled a bit, and seen that the world is large enough to accommodate intellectual snobs who seek out elitism, fair enough. Classical music (and by extension Lyric FM) is one peak in the general Irish flatland of averageness, and why this blue-rinse-brigade simpleton is allowed share a seat alongside the deliciously-dictioned Liz Nolan , the urbane John Kelly, or Eamonn Lenihan's well-chosen sojorn's, is a (thundering) disgrace. Not everything needs to be popular, or mediocre, or middle-of-the-road, or average.

No training done today, but I did contemplate how a stupid moustache might possibly cushion the knuckles that were cracking its holding skull and driving fiercely into the great void beneath.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    No training done today, but I did contemplate how a stupid moustache might possibly cushion the knuckles that were cracking its holding skull and driving fiercely into the great void beneath.

Do you reckon your kids have the same thoughts about young for making them listen to Lyric FM on the way to school??

griffin100 wrote: »
    Do you reckon your kids have the same thoughts about young for making them listen to Lyric FM on the way to school??

They hate him too (otherwise they will listen to Lyric). I raise my kids by three Commandments, Griff:

1: Say "Thank You" to whoever prepared the food.
    2: High elbow means a good hand entry, that'll set up your catch.
    3: Help Dad dispose of Marty Whelan's body and never again broach the subject.

Marty Whelan is a feckin' gobshyte. Every morning I get in the car to drive the kids to school, and his banal witterings start with the engine and ruin my morning. There's not a lot on offer on Irish Radio, and Lyric FM is a usual oasis amongst a desert of lowest-common-denominator pop/rock/gossip aural garbage, so to have this jelly-brained populist put to paid pasture on an otherwise serious bandwidth is galling.

I've travelled a bit, and seen that the world is large enough to accommodate intellectual snobs who seek out elitism, fair enough. Classical music (and by extension Lyric FM) is one peak in the general Irish flatland of averageness, and why this blue-rinse-brigade simpleton is allowed share a seat alongside the deliciously-dictioned Liz Nolan , the urbane John Kelly, or Eamonn Lenihan's well-chosen sojorn's, is a (thundering) disgrace. Not everything needs to be popular, or mediocre, or middle-of-the-road, or average.

Forget the content of this rant....do you know what an incredibly gifted writer you are???? I must confess, back when you were donothoponpop, you had me with your very first post in your log......I knew then there was an artist inside that thread. ;)

They hate him too (otherwise they will listen to Lyric). I raise my kids by three Commandments, Griff:

1: Say "Thank You" to whoever prepared the food.
    2: High elbow means a good hand entry, that'll set up your catch.
    3: Help Dad dispose of Marty Whelan's body and never again broach the subject.

Oh, but then there's this. :eek:

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Forget the content of this rant....do you know what an incredibly gifted writer you are???? I must confess, back when you were donothoponpop, you had me with your very first post in your log......I knew then there was an artist inside that thread. ;)

Why thank you Dory, you've made my evening! Never heard o' donot goy tho...
    Oh, but then there's this. :eek:

Richly deserved; the world would be a better place without him. Of all da peoples dat got moidered and this bum is still babbling. DO NOT GOOGLE his name, ignorance is bliss.

Instead, here's a context I hope you'll appreciate: Marty Whelan is the anti-Garrison Keillor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

His appointment coincided with a deliberate attempt to dumb down Lyric FM in order to try and "reach out" to more listeners. You could add Gay Byrne and Gerorge Hamilton to your rant as well, it's turning into a place where to old RTE brigade are being sent out to pasture to live out of the rest of there days with a nice cosy number. Surprised Larry Gogan hasn't been given a slot yet. You would think that for once RTE would just take a risk and be happy with a slightly more limited audience, look beyond the basic ratings and just leave the only art station we have in the country alone. Employing Marty is simply reaching out to the lowest common denominator in an attempt to grab ratings (and yes, I am a goddamn snob!).

The Hamilton "Scores"... how long did it take to "pitch" (a-hah-ha-ha, brilliant, Oscar) that one? Puccini=Italy=Italia '90 anecdote. Delivered in an upbeat manner and that will disguise the fact that my knowledge comes from the back of a free CD cover from the Sunday Times.

Gaybo I let slide though, if only for the fact Sunday afternoons should be about easy Jazz Combo's, and he manages to deliver a sentence without the breathless "eh-em-em-em-eh" that's seem's to be a requirement these days.
    pconn062 wrote: »
    (and yes, I am a goddamn snob!).

It's a proud thing to be a snob, but where's your expensive bike, eh? Where's your well-fitted eh-em-em-em-eh wetsuit? ;)

Wed 2,000m swim

I haven't done any runs or bikes for a few days, as my calf was tight after the last run- its something I have to really look after, c'est la vie. Back to the pool tonight for a club swim:

500m w/u (200 swim, 200 breast, 100 swim)
    8*50m (25 kick, 25 drill)
    4*200m off 6 mins (100% effort each) (in 2:53, 2:53, cramped, 3:02)
    10 mins fins and board.

The 200's were hard. My calf felt tight as I started the first one, but didn't seem to stop me swimming well. Gave it what I had, albeit well paced, and came in with a new 200 PB. After a few minutes rest I did the same, equaled the time. Beat after it though! HR was 180+. I got to 50m on the third one, turning under 40 seconds, but cramped up badly, and had to abort. Jumped on the deck to stretch it out, before jumping back in to do a hard 50m max (the whole point is to do the set on effort). The last one, well I know I was protecting the calf and so didn't set off as fast. 3:02 at the finish, absolutely wrecked.

I'm happy with the swim, a PB is a PB, so no complaints.

Thurs 1,000m swim

Had to take the kids to the dentist in Arklow. Which can only mean one thing...

Hypoxic swims and a few sprints. Junior almost made the 25m on a single breath (push-off). Then I did a few, just to show him who's boss. Then we did a length at a time, breathing on 1, then 2, then 3... Breathing on 11 has me at the wall, but his shorter arms got him to breathing on 13. I'd say 15 or 16 and he's at the wall.

Thurs pm 3,350m swim

Double swim day. Its surely a matter of time before I sell the bikes and runners.

500m (25 fly, 25 swim, 15sec rest)
    200m (25 kick, 25 drill, 10 rest)
    The rest was bouy&band&paddles
    200m
    400m
    600m
    800m
    1,000m

I was lapped a couple of times so the 600 was 550m for me, and the 800 was 700m. With the race on Saturday, I decided the 1,000m was too much too soon to paddle, so I just swam it as 800m easy pace. The catch felt amazing though.

• Advertisement

I would pay money and bring the popcorn to see you swim butterfly! :D

I would pay money and bring the popcorn to see you swim butterfly! :D

It would be very soggy popcorn!

Fri 58k bike

Dropped my car into Wicklow town for a service, and biked back at a steady pace. Spring is definitely in the air, nice time of year around these parts.

The race tomorrow- first one in quite a while, so I'm down for 12 mins for the 750m swim, and if I can get 22mins on the 5k run I'll be happy. Can't really ask for more at the moment, what with limited run training.

Whats the race? The 3D aquathon?

I'll call you out and say 12 mins for a 750m for you might be a bit soft ;) I did a 12.55 in the LC pool a couple of weeks ago off a steady effort. On race day in a shorter pool with drafting available I'd say you'll go sub 12. Best of luck!

griffin100 wrote: »
    Whats the race? The 3D aquathon?

I'll call you out and say 12 mins for a 750m for you might be a bit soft ;) I did a 12.55 in the LC pool a couple of weeks ago off a steady effort. On race day in a shorter pool with drafting available I'd say you'll go sub 12. Best of luck!

Cheers Griff. Yeah 3D aquathlon. 12 mins is probably soft- I thought we'd be swimming in the LC pool when I entered it.

Are you doing the Racing795 club duathlon on Sun? I have it in the back of my mind to head down, if there's still something in the legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I'd definitely say 12 mins is a bit soft, along with a good draft and some smart swimming I'd say you be well under that too.

Have done that duathlon before, great race. Tough bike course but very enjoyable, if the final club TT wasn't on this Sunday I'd be going down for it.

Are you doing the Racing795 club duathlon on Sun? I have it in the back of my mind to head down, if there's still something in the legs.

Hadn't planned on it although the thought that I should get on my bike before Port Laois Tri did enter my mind :pac: If you are going make sure and let them know asap, the numbers are restricted this year.

Sat 3DTri Aquathlon Series Race 1 (750m swim, 5k run)

The race tomorrow- first one in quite a while, so I'm down for 12 mins for the 750m swim, and if I can get 22mins on the 5k run I'll be happy. Can't really ask for more at the moment, what with limited run training.

12:55 for the swim, pretty disappointing, but a lot to be learned in being more assertive/agressive. 6 swimmers in our lane so we sorted order at the start, one guy said he would go under 12, I said I'd do 12, as did two others, and the other two said slightly over twelve. So I started second and followed the uberswimmer for the first three lengths (of 30), felt very comfortable. Then the guy behind started tugging my toes, I thought he might have just been drafting close, but kept it up after another length, so I stopped at the wall to let him pass. I hopped on him, but straight away the pace slowed; the first guy had made clear space. The guy behind me then started doing the same, so I let him by at the wall- but no real use, he seemed to slow too. Added to this, my trusty goggles were full of water- this never happens, the only difference today was I wore a cap, that must be something to do with it. I stopped to adjust, another two took me and I was last. The pace was cruising, no huge effort, and no-one seemed to want to return the favour when I tapped their toes. I took one guy mid-lane towards the end, but I was second-last out of the pool.
    No-one to blame but myself, lessons must be learned: in future I will swim to suit myself, and if someone is mad to pass when we're in a train, they can do so at their own peril.

The run was a real redemption angerfest. I exited trans in paddy last, but not very tired from the swim, so I set myself a target of the guy ahead (50m). Took him, then set about reeling in the next guy, who was some distance in front. This took a while, but I caught him, and then just focussed on whoever else was ahead. I was running very strongly, kept up a good pace, and was making up gaps I didn't think were feasible. Coming towards the finish I gave it what I had, to chase down one lad. He saw me coming, and we had a bit of a battle on the finish straight. I took him, but in doing so had made up huge ground on one other guy, and in the end my race was somewhat soured by not quite catching him before the line. Started dry-heaving straight away, so I'm pretty sure I couldn't have gone much faster. This was the best run I've done in ages. No real idea of the time, except one guy I had passed did 22mins, and he was out of sight when I started. Said he was running 4:00/km pace over the last km when I went flying by him, so I'm happy enough with that.

Very well organized aquathon by 3dTri, interested controlled the pool duties with relaxed authority, loads of helpers counting lengths, and marshals at every junction for the run. Saw Baaster and Macanri out there too, more Boardies need to turn up for round 2, highly recommended.

Well done for your first event of the season, and as you say, a lot to be learned. Regarding the goggles - I assume by your comment that you wore your goggles over your swim cap. If so, then yes, it is possible that this slight variation in fit might have caused the leak. Just like in running, never try anything new on race day. But one other option if you don't want to (or don't have time to) practice with a cap on and goggles over the cap, wear your goggles under your cap. In a race, I always wear two caps, and I sandwich the goggles in between. ;)

And sounds like you had an awesome run - bodes well for the season! :)

Sun 85k bike, 75k @ 28.9kph, 10k warm down

I biked up to Dublin, this was done on the road bike sans bars, with a backpack, and over a fairly lumpy route, so I'm pleased with the overall pace, and that I managed to speed up after two hours. I was on 28kph average after an hour, this dropped to 27.4kph overall by two hours (the second hour was pretty hilly), but then I hit the N11 and pushed hard on good roads (managed 40kph average for one 5km section- net downhill).

Things flowed a lot slower once I turned off for Bray. I intended getting the overall average up to 30kph, but a combination of traffic, freds in packs, crap bike lane surface, and lard-arsed joggers dolloping into the bike lane as I came up behind them, made me hit stop at Cornelscourt, and just do the next 10k at warm-down commuting speed.

Best bike yet.

• Advertisement

Weekly Summary|Session|Comment

Monday|4*(5*100) off 1:55, 1:50, 1:45, 1:40|Decent times, will bring this set down by 5secs from now
    Tuesday||
    Wednesday|2,000m swim|4*200m off 6 mins (100% effort each) (in 2:53, 2:53, cramped, 3:02). 200m PB
    Thursday|4,350m swim|Two swims, paddles for the second one.
    Friday|58k bike|steady pace
    Saturday|3dTri Aquathon 1|Poor swim tactics, good run. 24th place 34:51
    Sunday|85k bike|75k at 28.9kph, lumpy course. Finished strong
    Weekly km|Swim 10.05k Bike 143k Run 5k| Bike is coming on nicely, and running is stronger than I'd have expected.
    2014 km|Swim 141.6 Bike 1,497k Run 298.53k

Despite the poor showing in the swim part of the Aquathon, I am more than happy with where things are at the moment. I learned a lot more about tactics, googles with a hat, transition, etc, than if I had performed to expectation. I feel there were mistakes made, which won't be made at more important races as the year progresses.

The long bike every couple of weeks suits me for the moment. My running needs to get a lot more focussed, and this means including three key run sessions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement