Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standard Deviation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    and lard-arsed joggers dolloping into the bike lane as I came up behind them
    Oi! I'm a little sensitive to that kind of thing! It was all of the mother's day pancakes. Some number of lard-arses out on bikes today too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Out of all the lard-arses I saw today...

Several female dog-walkers in "comfortable" ski-pants,
    Still-drunk car retrievers missing an hours sleep,
    A nicoteen-bearded mountain man holding a shotgun who didn't return my hello,
    Scores and scores of lycra-clad freds;
    The idiot jogger plodding with bad form in the cycle-lane who responded to my "mind your back, coming through" with insults,
    40-yr old blokes in really tight beer-stained tshirts clutching bunches of Mothers Day flowers in a deliberate horizontal manner that meant "I'm not a poofter",
    A triathlete on bike with backpack who gazed back at me curiously from a reflected shop window,

... the sweaty headphoned redshirt who looked like he had done his days running, was not one of them:)

Sorry I didn't stop to chat, I was rushing to make a number on my Garmin change from 28.9 to 29, and as we all know its more important to be a slave to the Garmin rather than stop and chat will an old friend you haven't seen in a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

... the sweaty headphoned redshirt who looked like he had done his days running, was not one of them:)
    Crap. I'd only done 300m by the time you passed me! I thought you were a part of that group of cyclists you were in the middle of (figured it was damn good of you to carry the picnic basket on your back for everyone!). I wouldn't have expected you to stop for pleasantries. Workouts are workouts (irrespective of Garmin stats!). I was actually heading out on a run route that we did together some years ago (where there's no cycle-paths, lycra, and just the occasional dog walker).

Mon 2.8k swim

My body was feeling pretty sore today, after the weekend's race and ride. We had two hours to kill between dentist and swim training, so myself and the kids splashed around for a long while. I did drills, stretchy swimming, race handicaps, hypoxic; and "sharks", a game where I have to swim through two "sharks" blocking the lane and trying to grab my legs. Vital training, that the body and soul feel the better for.

Tue 6k run

5k@4:32 pace, 1k warm down.

I almost didn't do this, after a long days work and a big dinner. Pulled on my gear at the last minute and drove to the start, late, saw the guys already running. I parked the car and gave chase- pretty hard with a full belly! Didn't catch them in the end, but did a shorter loop to make 5k.

• Advertisement

Wed 9km easy run@ 4:54/km pace; 2,100m pool

The run was grabbed within a strict window at lunchtime, and was enjoyable.

Pool with the club in the evening:

8*50 (25kick, 25choice, 10 sec rest)
    Then 3 sets of:
    200m paddle and pull
    50m board and pull
    50m board
    2*50m catch-up drill
    100m 5sec>PB

200m warm down

The paddles felt awkward at first, but once I got used to the feel for them I was learning a lot about my catch. The 3 100's came in 1:25, 1:24, 1:22; all with a good entry and catch.

2014 Tri Season Races

25th May Lough Cutra Oly
    21st June Hook or by Crook Sprint
    26th July King of the Hill Sprint
    9th Aug Caroline Kearney Memorial Oly
    16th Aug Tri the Hook Sprint
    24th Aug Dublin City Super-Sprint

That's my lot I've entered, if I can get to any more that pop up I will. I'd do TwoProvinces in Lanesboro again in a heartbeat, but will be on holidays. I decided against DublinCity NS Oly, as I don't like the swim, and I have a more important 5k swim I hope to do the day before. I entered the Super-Sprint as there will be a lot from the club travelling for the Oly, its a great atmosphere, and I really want to try something that is a fast short sharp shock (reckon I'm better at shorter distances in general). And there's free ice cream:)

Other races will be hopefully four mandatory Leinster OW swims which will let me enter the Liffey Swim race, a bucket list race ever since I first saw the Jack Yeats painting. Doing the Tinahely Duathlon on May 4th, hopefully another 3Dtri aquathlon, and hopefully the Wicklow Aquathlon series. That should keep me busy for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Do you think you'll ever try your hand at a half iron distance? Or a full?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Do you think you'll ever try your hand at a half iron distance? Or a full?

I don't think so Dory- maybe a HIM but I've no real interest in doing a full. Exerting myself for and hour or two in a Sprint or Oly is good, fun, useful; but longer than that requires longer training and longer race effort, and I don't have the build for endurance. I'm tall and broad, have always liked my food and been a bit overweight, and none of those things are good for endurance stress sports. Having done 9 or 10 marathons so far, I reckon I've put as much extra stress on my heart as I need to.

There was a huge study that was published in the NEJM a couple of years back which linked heart damage with multiple marathons. It uses the usual silly "sports science" emotive language in its abstract and conclusion to sell itself to newspaper copywriters, but I've had a look at the data, and that is pretty damning. It is enough to convince me to steer my hobby towards shorter events. If I was shorter and skinnier, I'd be more likely to try and IM with proper effort.

Thurs 60mins turbo; 1,500m swim and deck work

Sufferfest "Fight Club"; really pushed it on those sprints, and had the sweat-o-meter up to its highest level yet. A four-faucet effort.

Later I headed to Arklow for the Masters session:

8*50m (25 fly, 25 choice, 15sec rest)
    8*25m free (20m max, 20sec rest)
    Then 3 circuits of:
    {75m free
    20 push-ups
    75m free
    20 sit-ups
    75m free
    20 squats
    75m free
    1 min plank
    2 mins rest}

I led out the swims, and to be honest I was tired and had hoped to suck bubbles tonight. However, we were joined tonight by a girl who used to swim for this coach, gave it up in her late teens (while green suit standard), and was looking to start up again. Knowing these fish are on your tail means you can't slack for a second, so I pushed harder than I would have if not leading. Nowhere to hide, but it meant my own workout was a lot more useful than it would have been otherwise. The deck drills were better than usual for me, if still nowhere ideal.

These Masters sessions are worth their weight in gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

There was a huge study that was published in the NEJM a couple of years back which linked heart damage with multiple marathons. It uses the usual silly "sports science" emotive language in its abstract and conclusion to sell itself to newspaper copywriters, but I've had a look at the data, and that is pretty damning. It is enough to convince me to steer my hobby towards shorter events. If I was shorter and skinnier, I'd be more likely to try and IM with proper effort.

I've a similar if less scientific opinion. Your heart is a muscle, it works hard every day. Repeatedly getting it to work much much harder for hours at a time could cause it some damage. Just think about the numbers of people who give up sport due to muscle injury, I look at my heart in the same way.

Thurs 60mins turbo; 1,500m swim and deck work

Sufferfest "Fight Club"; really pushed it on those sprints, and had the sweat-o-meter up to its highest level yet. A four-faucet effort.

Later I headed to Arklow for the Masters session:

8*50m (25 fly, 25 choice, 15sec rest)
    8*25m free (20m max, 20sec rest)
    Then 3 circuits of:
    {75m free
    20 push-ups
    75m free
    20 sit-ups
    75m free
    20 squats
    75m free
    1 min plank
    2 mins rest}

I led out the swims, and to be honest I was tired and had hoped to suck bubbles tonight. However, we were joined tonight by a girl who used to swim for this coach, gave it up in her late teens (while green suit standard), and was looking to start up again. Knowing these fish are on your tail means you can't slack for a second, so I pushed harder than I would have if not leading. Nowhere to hide, but it meant my own workout was a lot more useful than it would have been otherwise. The deck drills were better than usual for me, if still nowhere ideal.

These Masters sessions are worth their weight in gold.

What did you choose?

Also, with all these deck drills you are doing, you've reminded me of the pull ups we used to do in the deep end of the pool. :eek:

What did you choose?

Also, with all these deck drills you are doing, you've reminded me of the pull ups we used to do in the deep end of the pool. :eek:

My choice, as ever after fly, was an exhausted FC, dragging the feet and breathing every two. Fly is becoming better, you'd be proud of me. I can almost lift my arms clear of the water;) My kick is very asymmetrical, though.

Actually, that's a point- I also have a crap lopsided kick for breast stroke- and more to the point so does my son, and its holding him back a lot. He seems to kick into nothing, can't generate any forward propulsion. His sister is very good at it and glides past him, much to her delight and his dismay. Any tips or low-hanging fruit you know to be plucked for breast-kick?

My choice, as ever after fly, was an exhausted FC, dragging the feet and breathing every two. Fly is becoming better, you'd be proud of me. I can almost lift my arms clear of the water;) My kick is very asymmetrical, though.

Actually, that's a point- I also have a crap lopsided kick for breast stroke- and more to the point so does my son, and its holding him back a lot. He seems to kick into nothing, can't generate any forward propulsion. His sister is very good at it and glides past him, much to her delight and his dismay. Any tips or low-hanging fruit you know to be plucked for breast-kick?

Regarding your fly...I'd love to watch how you lift your head to breathe. ;)

Regarding breast stoke...the frog or whip kick. No quick fix (especially via the internet), but it's all about how to move the water behind you with your feet (and legs) to propel you forward (and, of course, timing with the stroke). Therefore, proper bend/flex at the various joints (hip, knees, ankles) is needed to effectively grasp the water to achieve the push/propel. And there is the glide. Lots and lots of practice will help, but my best advice is have a coach/instructor take a look (one on one, real time, in the pool) to make the correct adjustments and suggestions. :)

Regarding your fly...I'd love to watch how you lift your head to breathe. ;)

An elegant gasp of desperation before headbutting my head back underwater... totally smashing aggressive.
    Regarding breast stoke...the frog or whip kick. No quick fix (especially via the internet), but it's all about how to move the water behind you with your feet (and legs) to propel you forward (and, of course, timing with the stroke). Therefore, proper bend/flex at the various joints (hip, knees, ankles) is needed to effectively grasp the water to achieve the push/propel. And there is the glide. Lots and lots of practice will help, but my best advice is have a coach/instructor take a look (one on one, real time, in the pool) to make the correct adjustments and suggestions. :)

That's very useful, in that there is no quick fix. I suspect his real problem is one of timing. Coach has them doing kick or pull in about four different drills, with a large emphasis on the frog kick. He has them stand facing against a wall, put their feet heels together, toes pointing in opposite directions, and do squats. My son needs to get his timing right quickly, or his baby sis will put him to shame. (She, by the way, has her eye's firmly set on the 2020 Olympics:D)

Fri 50 mins easy turbo; 3,000m swim

500m warm up
    4*(5*100m), as:
    5*100 off 1:50 (in 1:37, 1:39, 1:39, 1:39, 1:38)
    min rest
    5*100 off 1:45 (in 1:32, 1:36, 1:36, 1:37, 1:36)
    min rest
    5*100 off 1:40 (in 1:29, 1:33, 1:34, 1:35, 1:36)
    min rest
    2*100 off 1:35 (in 1:30, 1:34)
    min rest
    2*100 off 1:35 (in 1:31, 1:33)
    min rest
    100 in 1:32
    500m drills and swim down

This was the first night of the descending set that aimed to finish 5 off 1:35. My arms were heavy from the get go, but I figured I'd see how I got on anyways. The first two sets were nice and controlled, they felt like a nice cruising pace. The third set pinched a bit, but was still manageable. I knew I'd fail during the first 100 of the last set- just wasn't willing to push the pain barrier tonight (crowded pool and MCOS's {faster!} failure was on my mind;)). I did the distances, but needed much extra rest in between. If there was someone doing them in the pool with me I'd have forced the set. Nevertheless, its a marker for next time, when they will be done. Taking 5 seconds off at this level is a fairly big step for me, it was just too big a step tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done KG. Off 1:35 is new territory. Are you swimming LC or SC?

Well done KG. Off 1:35 is new territory. Are you swimming LC or SC?

Off 1:35 will be new territory once its hitting 5*off 1:35. SC pool, never swam a LC yet.

Sat 10k run 4:55 pace

A few loops of Marlay Park, which felt a lot more laboured than they should have. I don't really know what was the issue, but my legs just had no oomph or no vim, and definitely no va-va-voom. I didn't sleep well last night, and had a busy morning with clients today; perhaps tiredness had something to do with it. Anyways, its done now; move on.

Driving back from Dublin... I had come prepared... is it too early?... sure bring the wetsuit in the car anyway... got down to a naked and boatless Wicklow Harbour a 4pm, struggled to get my ZeroD wetsuit on (you need a second person to zip you down, so I asked this bewildered teenage boy for help. Took a while but he got it done). Three swim caps on, set the Garmin, and wade in cautiously. I won't lie, it was cold. Very very cold! I tried to swim a bit (face not submerged), and could feel sharp pains in my hands and feet. Submerged the face- not as bad as I expected. However, my hands were very sore, and as there was no-one around I wasn't going to risk a hypothermic solo swim. Only managed 90 seconds before calling it a day. A couple of weeks too early!

^^^^:eek::eek::eek:

My pool is now open with heater running. The race to a proper outdoor swim session is on!!!! :D

• Advertisement

My pool is now open with heater running. The race to a proper outdoor swim session is on!!!! :D

WTF?!?:D The race was to do an outdoor swim, not to do a "proper session", or a "heated dip", or even a 4*(5*100 fly off 1:20) or whatever else you're having. Freezing cold. Water. Outdoors. 84 seconds. I win.

(now off to watch the Seinfeld "shrinkage" episode...;))

WTF?!?:D The race was to do an outdoor swim, not to do a "proper session", or a "heated dip", or even a 4*(5*100 fly off 1:20) or whatever else you're having. Freezing cold. Water. Outdoors. 84 seconds. I win.

(now off to watch the Seinfeld "shrinkage" episode...;))

But, but, but....it took you longer to squeeze into that wetsuit (not to mention the psychological trauma you caused the kid and certain subsequent counseling he'll need) than the time you spent in the water "swimming". I think there are rules about such things!

(;):):D)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

He still wins.

Oryx wrote: »
    He still wins.

Dammit!!

He still wins.

By virtue of what rule(s) exactly? 90 secs (hats off KG for braving it) constitutes a dip not a swim? Jeez I took a 5 min cold shower the other day...

What is a proper outdoor swim session?!

By virtue of what rule(s) exactly? 90 secs (hats off KG for braving it) constitutes a dip not a swim? Jeez I took a 5 min cold shower the other day...

In the DD vs KG outdoor swim challenge, frigid sea beats tepid pool regardless of time.

What is a proper outdoor swim session?!

Pruney fingers?
    In the DD vs KG outdoor swim challenge, frigid sea beats tepid pool regardless of time.

Boo!!!!!!

How is this even at issue? (thank you Oryx voice of reason!) Anyone who gets into Irish waters in April will know its off the HulkHogan-ometer compared with a session in the pool (pardon me Dory: compared with a session in a heated pool).

I

*F*uck*ing

WIN!!!

• Advertisement

90 seconds was a p!ss poor effort though. Try harder next time. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement