Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking dog in the rain

• 22-10-2013 3:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

Hey just with the weather changing I need to bring my dog for a good walk everyday otherwise he's too hyper in the house. He won't walk if it's raining, he's a Bichon and can't bare being wet, has anyone had any success with a raincoat type jacket for their dogs I would be cringing to be seen with the dog looking dressed up but worth it to keep him dry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

smyths wrote: »
    Hey just with the weather changing I need to bring my dog for a good walk everyday otherwise he's too hyper in the house. He won't walk if it's raining, he's a Bichon and can't bare being wet, has anyone had any success with a raincoat type jacket for their dogs I would be cringing to be seen with the dog looking dressed up but worth it to keep him dry

I have this one for my dog and find it really good - http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_clothing/waterproof/274291. I actually bought the same one for my pup last night as I'm feeling a bit guilty with both of us in rain gear and her getting soaked lol! :p. He's your dog - forget what people might think. Anyone who things my dogs look stupid are more than welcome to try drying them with towels - the big guy especially as he has a thick double coat!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Oh! I think this is a rare occasion where tk123 is recommending a product that I put her onto, rather than the other way around!
    Rejoice!
    OP, as you may have gathered, I have the above coats for my dogs. I was looking for a coat that was only to keep the dogs dry, not warm, as I think the danger of overheating for dogs in warm coats is under-rated (this may not apply to greyhounds, whippets etc)
    These coats cover a huge amount of dog, they're very light, and sit well. I think they look very well on dogs and they're not flouncy! But if anyone wants to tell my 40kg German Shepherd that she looks silly to her face, they can be my guest :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

DBB wrote: »
    Oh! I think this is a rare occasion where tk123 is recommending a product that I put her onto, rather than the other way around!
    Rejoice!

;):D
    My friend (being afraid of computers) got me to order one for her dog too lol!! I think they're great - nice and light, not restrictive for them running around etc and good cover especially for the chest area which would be soaked on my dog just from walking in the rain.
    I'll admit I'm not mad about the luminous yellow but for the price you can't go wrong. I mentioned in another thread that I was in MaxiZoo last week and a small coat for the puppy was €89.99! :eek::eek: It was exactlty the same as another coat I'd gotten from zooplus for less than €30 except it had no padding/lining so just a shell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I have something similar for my Shih Tzu. Didn't pay as much as the Zooplus one though. It's simply an unlined raincoat with bellyguard. Very important for small dogs!

Just hose it off after a walk and it's dry in minutes! I pop it in the wash every other week with his other doggy things and washes up a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I have the same coats a tk123 and DBB and can also recommend them. One of my dogs isn't crazy about the rain either. She'll sometimes change her mind about going for a walk and turn around after a couple of minutes. :rolleyes: She's a lot happier with the jacket on and it means I don't have two soaking wet dogs trying to cuddle into me on the sofa afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Great advice! Thanks everyone I will def be making a purchase!

Advertisement