Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rectus femoris tendon rupture - GAA

• 22-10-2013 4:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently injured and my team is involved in the semi-final of the club championship. I'm desperate! If you have the time to read my story and offer any advice I would truly appreciate it. I understand medical advice cannot be offered

I received the injury on 20th Sept playing GAA. I was sprinting at full pace with the ball and as I kicked it with my left leg I felt a sharp pain through my left quad, fell to the ground and stopped playing. I immediately compressed and iced it. Within an hour I was dipped in a chryotherapy pool to give the injury every chance of a quick recovery.

2 days later I went to a trusted physio who initially 'dug' into the area to work out the knots and scar tissue etc. He was confident that I would make a recovery in approx 2 weeks. He also recommended going for an ultrasound scan and some laser treatment, which I did.

After about 2 weeks I did some strength work with him and he was happy to let me go back to light jogging initially and slowly build up the pace. I went for a slow jog the following day and the quad felt perfect. 3 days later I went for another jog. This time I slightly picked up the pace to about 60% but suddenly felt a tweak in the injured area. So I stopped immediately and went back to see him. He told me that the quad can be quite difficult to recover from but that this was just a minor setback and I was still on course for full recovery.

After a few more sessions I wasn't really improving because I could still feel 'something' in the quad. It was basically a situation where the physio was telling me that I should be grand while I was telling him that I could still feel 'something' pulling/tweaking. So he sent me for another ultrasound scan and laser treatment. This time the ultrasound scan suggested that I could have Myositis Ossificans (a calcification of bone near the initial injury and it's quite rare). Obviously I was devastated but at least I had a diagnosis and wasn't imagining the 'something' I could feel pulling/tweaking my quad.

As this is the most important time of the season I needed a second opinion for my own peace of mind. So despite the small fortune I had already spent I went for an MRI scan and made an appointment to see Dr. Eanna Falvey from the Santry Sports Clinic on 8th Oct. Dr. Falvey pulled, stretched and pressed my quad but I felt absolutely no pain. I was convinced I was about to get good news from him when he then told me that the MRI showed that I had a Rectus Femoris Tendon Rupture which is a 3 month injury. Absolute devastation! There was also no sign of the Myositis Ossificans. He told me to do some theraband strength work and then come back to him for another MRI scan in 4 weeks time to asses if there's any improvement.

Now that the dust has settled on all that I have been rehabbing away everyday and my quad feels as good as ever. Granted I'm not sprinting or kicking yet but I have absolutely no pain whatsoever when I'm jogging, skipping, squatting, dipping, lunging, stretching, etc.

Despite feeling so good I'm not going to play the semi-final (because of what Dr. Falvey said) but if we win I'm seriously considering doing whatever it takes to play the final. I know people will say that I have to accept I'm injured, that coming back too soon could cause further damage and that I'll be no benefit to my team.

Essentially, after my long winded sob-story I'm asking for advice. Can the rectus femoris be strapped? If Henry Shefflin and John Tenneyson could play with torn cruciate ligaments in the All-Ireland Final '10 then surely there's hope for me? We all know of plenty of stories of injured players playing in vital matches so why can't I?

County finals don't come around too often. I'm a 31 year old midfielder and I've played every minute of every game for my team this year until injury.

Thanks very much for taking the time to read this. All advice is welcome:)
    No medical advice please as it is against the rules

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

turniphead wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm currently injured and my team is involved in the semi-final of the club championship. I'm desperate! If you have the time to read my story and offer any advice I would truly appreciate it. I understand medical advice cannot be offered

I received the injury on 20th Sept playing GAA. I was sprinting at full pace with the ball and as I kicked it with my left leg I felt a sharp pain through my left quad, fell to the ground and stopped playing. I immediately compressed and iced it. Within an hour I was dipped in a chryotherapy pool to give the injury every chance of a quick recovery.

2 days later I went to a trusted physio who initially 'dug' into the area to work out the knots and scar tissue etc. He was confident that I would make a recovery in approx 2 weeks. He also recommended going for an ultrasound scan and some laser treatment, which I did.

After about 2 weeks I did some strength work with him and he was happy to let me go back to light jogging initially and slowly build up the pace. I went for a slow jog the following day and the quad felt perfect. 3 days later I went for another jog. This time I slightly picked up the pace to about 60% but suddenly felt a tweak in the injured area. So I stopped immediately and went back to see him. He told me that the quad can be quite difficult to recover from but that this was just a minor setback and I was still on course for full recovery.

After a few more sessions I wasn't really improving because I could still feel 'something' in the quad. It was basically a situation where the physio was telling me that I should be grand while I was telling him that I could still feel 'something' pulling/tweaking. So he sent me for another ultrasound scan and laser treatment. This time the ultrasound scan suggested that I could have Myositis Ossificans (a calcification of bone near the initial injury and it's quite rare). Obviously I was devastated but at least I had a diagnosis and wasn't imagining the 'something' I could feel pulling/tweaking my quad.

As this is the most important time of the season I needed a second opinion for my own peace of mind. So despite the small fortune I had already spent I went for an MRI scan and made an appointment to see Dr. Eanna Falvey from the Santry Sports Clinic on 8th Oct. Dr. Falvey pulled, stretched and pressed my quad but I felt absolutely no pain. I was convinced I was about to get good news from him when he then told me that the MRI showed that I had a Rectus Femoris Tendon Rupture which is a 3 month injury. Absolute devastation! There was also no sign of the Myositis Ossificans. He told me to do some theraband strength work and then come back to him for another MRI scan in 4 weeks time to asses if there's any improvement.

Now that the dust has settled on all that I have been rehabbing away everyday and my quad feels as good as ever. Granted I'm not sprinting or kicking yet but I have absolutely no pain whatsoever when I'm jogging, skipping, squatting, dipping, lunging, stretching, etc.

Despite feeling so good I'm not going to play the semi-final (because of what Dr. Falvey said) but if we win I'm seriously considering doing whatever it takes to play the final. I know people will say that I have to accept I'm injured, that coming back too soon could cause further damage and that I'll be no benefit to my team.

Essentially, after my long winded sob-story I'm asking for advice. Can the rectus femoris be strapped? If Henry Shefflin and John Tenneyson could play with torn cruciate ligaments in the All-Ireland Final '10 then surely there's hope for me? We all know of plenty of stories of injured players playing in vital matches so why can't I?

County finals don't come around too often. I'm a 31 year old midfielder and I've played every minute of every game for my team this year until injury.

Thanks very much for taking the time to read this. All advice is welcome:)
    No medical advice please as it is against the rules

Henry was removed from the field after 15 mins and should not have been there in the first place - it was lunacy. You mention that you can do most movements but you didn't mention being able to sprint, back-peddle or change direction at speed. For me, they are the acid tests.

In the same way nobody here can give you medical advice, by the same token, nobody can say for sure whether you can play or not. That is the doctor's job so you need to consult with him on the matter - he may well give you the go ahead come game time.

When it comes down to it no one person, not even he, can make the decision for you and you are within your rights to go against his advice based on your own clear or clouded judgement if your club allow you to do so.

You need to be the one to make the decision and to bear any of the negative consequences if they arise. They may or may not but you should know well before game time based on what you can or cannot do in training or a fitness test.

You also need to consider the effect on others if (and I'm not saying you are) not in a position to play and you do. Will you, like Henry, potentially jeopardise your team's chances if you have to be removed from play early on? Will your team need to keep 5 substitutions in reserve for a frenetic finish? Will you deny someone else a chance to play if you decide to play injured? The answers to these questions will be based on the level of confidence you have in your own body so have someone put you through your paces at the latest convenient time.

I wish you the best of luck because it's a difficult situation for you but at 31 you have plenty time left on the clock if you want it. Things are by no means over for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭turniphead

Cheers for taking the time to read and reply Darkest Horse.

Sound, honest advice and I appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

Here is my Tuppence

Strap it whatever way you think or the physio

Talk to the management

A few nights before the final get them/ trainer to do a fitness test

If you can get thru the fitness test tell them you are ready to play

If you dont get thru it Well you are not up to it

Simples

Twill be a long winter Lad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭slingerz

Henry was removed from the field after 15 mins and should not have been there in the first place - it was lunacy. You mention that you can do most movements but you didn't mention being able to sprint, back-peddle or change direction at speed. For me, they are the acid tests.

In the same way nobody here can give you medical advice, by the same token, nobody can say for sure whether you can play or not. That is the doctor's job so you need to consult with him on the matter - he may well give you the go ahead come game time.

When it comes down to it no one person, not even he, can make the decision for you and you are within your rights to go against his advice based on your own clear or clouded judgement if your club allow you to do so.

You need to be the one to make the decision and to bear any of the negative consequences if they arise. They may or may not but you should know well before game time based on what you can or cannot do in training or a fitness test.

You also need to consider the effect on others if (and I'm not saying you are) not in a position to play and you do. Will you, like Henry, potentially jeopardise your team's chances if you have to be removed from play early on? Will your team need to keep 5 substitutions in reserve for a frenetic finish? Will you deny someone else a chance to play if you decide to play injured? The answers to these questions will be based on the level of confidence you have in your own body so have someone put you through your paces at the latest convenient time.

I wish you the best of luck because it's a difficult situation for you but at 31 you have plenty time left on the clock if you want it. Things are by no means over for you.

Just on the embolded bit im unsure about that, I'm 29 and im pretty sure things are over for me after this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

slingerz wrote: »
    Just on the embolded bit im unsure about that, I'm 29 and im pretty sure things are over for me after this year!

That's you though. You can't apply your circumstances to everybody else. You don't know what injuries, training histories, diet etc. people have. I'm also 29 and in the best condition of my life though I play more soccer these days. I know guys still playing to a high level in their late 30s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭turniphead

On the age issue I've never felt better or fitter. With proper training techniques, strength & conditioning as well as good nutrition there are still a couple of years left in the tank yet!:)

The main issue for me is that I just can't let a final pass by without trying everything to make it. Opportunites like this don't come around too often. We're not Crossmaglen!:D

As things stand at the moment I will continue with my rehab and wait for the semi-final result. Should we win, I'll step up the training, strap the quad up and take whatever painkillers/injections I'm allowed. I'll then fully test it with management about 2 days before the final.

That's the plan for now anyway!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

See how the semi final ends up. Then go hell for leather to get it right, but be prepared mentally to accept a decision that its not right. I'd question it with the physio or doctor if you step things up, is there a potential for long term damage? I know if I was in your position, I'd be doing everything I can to get it right and I'd play through whatever pain barrier, but at what cost to yourself? Problem with that type of injury is that it can feel fine, return to play is too early and it goes again. As well as the rehab for the injury itself, are you doing other work to help the areas around the injury? Might be a question to ask!

I presume management are fully aware of your injury and are in contact with the physio?? I know how hard it can be, watching from the sidelines when all you want to do is be out there! Best of luck with the rest of the recovery!

Advertisement