Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OLDER DOG, TPLO AND WINTER SWIMMING

• 22-10-2013 5:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭

I have a mastiff type dog, a rescue who is old and has had double TPLO surgery who absolutely loves river swimming - screams with excitement as we arrive at the river etc. However now that the weather is turning I'm wondering if its wise to continue during the winter months. I have ordered s coat for her that is used for shooting dogs which well wick the damp away from her skin after the swim. But I'm not sure if the problem will be the temperature of the water rather than the damp....?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The cold water will make her muscles contract so if she was in pain or stiff/sore it could make it worse. My dog has had surgery similar to tplo for his hocks in both legs and swims all year round too as long as he's not showing any signs of being sore. I always dry him when he gets wet - either with a drying fleece or with the blaster and no probs. Do you give a joint supplement? If not maybe think of it for the winter months? If she really loves swimming maybe think of some hydro sessions if there's one near you for the very cold months. My dog has been going for nearly two years now and I plan to keep taking him every week for maintenance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

When I was at the vet yesterday, they had posters for Canine Hydrotheraphy pools - if you're lucky there might be a pool located near you - well worth bringing him for a weekly (or whatever) session if he loves swimming & after TPLO surgery. Theres one in Sallins (near Naas) that lists its charges at E120/10 sessions of fitness/stamina (rather than theraphy)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

aonb wrote: »
    Theres one in Sallins (near Naas) that lists its charges at E120/10 sessions of fitness/stamina (rather than theraphy)

I think that might be out of date - I was there a year ago and they'd increased their prices to €20-30 a session?

The one I use is in Coldwinters/Finglas just down the road from Dogs Trust and is €25 a session. I don't claim it on my insurance as my dog is recovered so it's more for maintainece/fitness. He's got great muscle tone from it, is slim (to save his joints) and is a very strong swimmer and very confident in the water from his weekly sessions.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

A lad I know has a neoprene jacket for his Springer, which keeps the dog toasty warm on long days out shooting when the dog is in and out of water all day. I'd imagine this'd be great for helping you out with your problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

Thanks for all those. I had thougt about hydrotherapy and there is availability in Cork so I'll check it out. I'd also considered the neoprene but she's difficult to manouver and I wasn't convinced I'd get it on her. Images of me wrastling her to get it on! That's why I ordered the drying coat....

• Advertisement
Advertisement