Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 5 screen repair

• 22-10-2013 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Broke my iPhone screen this morning and need to get it fixed today. Can anyone recommend a city centre (Dublin) location to get it fixed same day. Only condition is it must be an official apple screen and not some knock off version.

Please and thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

The only way to get an apple screen is send it back to apple. They will charge €259 to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Elephant Man from china

Are you sure? I can buy an official apple screen on amazon for 60euro. The problem is it takes 20 days to deliver. Is no one in Dublin doing this? If not I'll either buy it, or send it back to apple.. But waiting is a pain in the arse

Who says its official? You see that spouted a lot of the time but more often than not it isn't.

The seller is apple.

Will ya stop. Apple don't sell parts. What's the link.

• Advertisement

Man you are too gullable, anyone can sell on amazon and the reviews alone would put me off it. Also it says nowhere that it's an official replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Dispatched and Sold by Verydeal...

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Ok so my options are. Accept an inferior screen and get it done today or send back to apple and wait for it.

How would I go about getting an official apple repair?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

For an official apple repair, I suppose you can go to an apple shop and wait several weeks.

Alternatively, these lads:

http://tinyurl.com/qyrz6ac

...on South Great Georges street did a repair in ten minute that cost me, far as I remember, 30 euro and I can't tell the difference between what I had and what it was replaced with.

• Advertisement

Wow.. I wS quoted 170 by another place near work. Will call them

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

robindch wrote: »
    For an official apple repair, I suppose you can go to an apple shop and wait several weeks.

...on South Great Georges street did a repair in ten minute that cost me, far as I remember, 30 euro and I can't tell the difference between what I had and what it was replaced with.

Apple repairs never take more than 5 days, it's part of what you pay for. There are no Apple shops this side of the border. You can call Apple or email, check the website. Nobody in the world other than Apple, not even the likes of PC world or other big shops have access to Genuine Apple parts.

robindch wrote: »

You should check the facts before posting drivel. The only apple store in Ireland is in Belfast. If you book an appointment in there they will replace the phone there and then.

guil wrote: »
    You should check the facts before posting drivel. The only apple store in Ireland is in Belfast. If you book an appointment in there they will replace the phone there and then.

I appreciate your contribution to this thread, but you really do have a bit of a know it all attitude.. Not everyone is / wants to be an apple expert and making comments like that to people who are trying to help me, may put others off in future..

You'd be doing well to get an iPhone 4 screen replaced for €30. If you still have a warranty on the phone going with apple is the best option. Anywhere else and you loose the warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

guil wrote: »
    You'd be doing well to get an iPhone 4 screen replaced for €30. If you still have a warranty on the phone going with apple is the best option. Anywhere else and you loose the warranty.

Sorry but how would anybody still have warranty on a 4 at this stage?

Your answers are not helping as most people are not looking to pay Apple a few hundred for a new screen.

Recently dropped my 4s and would also appreciate advice on where to go for a replacement.
    A colleague went to one opposite Supervalu on Talbot St and got a 5 replaced for €120
    Yes, it was a "dodgy Chinese" repair but I've looked at the screen and the quality looked pretty good to me.

Never meant to imply that someone would have a warranty on an iPhone 4. I was talking about the op's 5.

I have also got an iPhone 4 screen replaced in an electric repair shop because the warranty was out and there wasn't any difference that I could tell with it.

If there was 7 or 8 months warranty left I think i would still send it back to apple to keep the warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I appreciate your contribution to this thread, but you really do have a bit of a know it all attitude.. Not everyone is / wants to be an apple expert and making comments like that to people who are trying to help me, may put others off in future..

robindch posted blatant lies, which had no truth to them at all. guil was perfectly right to correct him. guil is only helping and trying to prevent people posing unhelpful posts with very misleading information, which will only slow you down when trying to solve your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So where is the best place to get an out of warranty 4s screen replaced in Dublin city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

You will pay a minimum of €90 at least for the screen+lcd+digitizer on ebay/amazon.
    I got one for mine and a chap at work did it for me same day for €30 so half of what Apple wanted from me.
    But for the €241 that Apple charge (I had been talking to them on the phone) they'd send me out a new or refurbed one so it would be in better condition and warranty intact).

Heres the crowd I bought it off..and its a genuine screen...very very happy with it..do not get a cheaper one, lower res and crap displays..
    I think there's a guy on adverts that does them as well for a bit more on the same day.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Genuine-Apple-iPhone5-iPhone-5-LCD-Digitizer-Screen-Full-Assembly-WHITE/331037509297?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=014&category=43304&cmd=ViewItem

• Advertisement

The price from apple should have gone down to about €160 for a 4s now. Try Cathal in irepair. Think he's somewhere around portmarnock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I have gotten all my iPhones and my families fixed by the repair people in the GPO Arcade and they are brilliant . I think Fonemenders is the name of the place . They have repaired many things like glass , batteries , speakers and have always been a great place to get a phone fixed .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

You can buy parts(not genuine) off mendmyi they are a uk company. Think it's about 80 pound plus delivery. The iPhone 5 screen is easy to change and there is plenty how to's on YouTube.

They also can make your iPhone any colour u want!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

I've used http://fixiy.ie/ myself for iPhone 4 screen replacements and can't fault them. Especially the same day delivery (both times I had the screen delivered to me in less than 3 hours!).

Comes in at 120eur though for the iPhone 5 screen, and then around 150 if you want them to replace it for you. However after trying to source screens on eBay and none of them working I went with these guys because the parts do work and they're really helpful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭tunner

That place on George's st did a friend on mines iPhone 5. It took 3 screens before it worked right though. The foreign dude in there (fm mobiles I think) said he got a bad batch of screens. The side of his screen didn't work. You get a free iPhone 5 leather case with the work though and he was charged €110 all in.

It does work but he lost his warranty. He was in a rush to get it done though an it took about 2 hrs

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

GSM on abbey street are very good. Id rather pay extra and know it will be 100% than take my chances and hand over under 100 for something that might not be great quality

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

GarIT wrote: »
    robindch posted blatant lies, which had no truth to them at all. guil was perfectly right to correct him. guil is only helping and trying to prevent people posing unhelpful posts with very misleading information [...]
    Far from "posing" "unhelpful posts", I'm simply reporting what I was told by Apple and others some years back, when I last checked with them. Perhaps things have changed now -- I certainly hope they have -- but hey, as I said, I'm simply reporting what I was told so please don't post that I'm writing "blatant lies" and imply that I'm a liar.

FWIW, the new screen that I bought some months ago in the shop that I helpfully pointed to above has worked perfectly and I'm quite happy that I've saved over one hundred euro that that, frankly, I'd enjoy far more spending in a bar in Dublin than delivering into one of several mountain-sized cashpiles somewhere out Cupertino-direction.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I have gotten all my iPhones and my families fixed by the repair people in the GPO Arcade and they are brilliant . I think Fonemenders is the name of the place . They have repaired many things like glass , batteries , speakers and have always been a great place to get a phone fixed .

I wouldn't trust Fone"menders" with a sweeping brush, never mind a phone.......

Advertisement