Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Prengnacy Hair loss

Options
  • 22-10-2013 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi . Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and is there anything that can help?

I had a baby in June this year and the amount of hair im losing is unbelievable. This isnt my first child and I know hair loss is expected as I have had it before . Never to this extent. Its so thin at the sides and front now that its really noticeable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I had a lot of hair loss after my second too.
    I had to Hoover around bed most days and the shower blocked a lot.
    I have a lot of hair so I never saw it thinning to the point where anyone wound notice. I can only imagine that that must be upsetting for you.

I continued taking multi vits for a while.
    Look after your diet and easier said than done I know try and get as much rest as possible.
    In my case I think it was stress related so try to do what ever relieves your stress, walking, trip to beauticians, massage what ever is possible for you.

It does stop I think mine started when she was 6wks or so and stopped by 5ish months

Maybe go to hair dressers and see if a cut helps, a restyle might disguise thinning for you.

Enjoy baby and best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I had so much hair loss after my second too....much worse than the first. It stopped itself over time. I don't think there are any remedies...I think you just have to wait it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

Hi op

I had my baby in April and while the hair is still falling out, it's definitely slowing down.
    I discussed it with my hairdresser recently (who also just had a baby) and she recommended Nioxin shampoo. Said it won't stop hair loss (that's hormonal) but will help with regrowth.
    Not sure where you get it though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I had soooo much hair loss after my first! It seemed to start when he was maybe around 3 month... I think perhaps when I started to wean him off the breast. I literally lost half my head of hair in a few weeks! Even my hair dresser was worried! The owner of he hair salon advised me to take a vitamin called 'silica'. But I didn't take it coz wanted to try for another baby. I found that a cut and colour would work wonders at making it look a bit thicker (I have dark hair). But nothing really helped. It did stop falling out at such a drastic rate after a couple months... But I did get pregnant again 6 months after number one... So it's thickening up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mrsmammy4

Thanks for the advice. I have really really thick wavy hair, or had. So when I let it dry naturally and leave it down you would never tell but I cant tie it back or its noticeable. Here is a pic of it 2 weeks ago...my husband said he cant see it . He is only being nice. Friends and my mother have said they notice it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Hair loss here, after both previous pregnancies. It regrows itself in about a year, but you end up looking like you have a couple of new fringes growing under your hair for a while. I think this is why a lot of people get a 'Mammy Haircut'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yes, its only now that I notice that I have loads of hair thats 3 inches long, but the rest of my hair is nearly to my elbow. I had so much loss that I caused a problem with the bath drainage!

And it was much worse the second time, just after I stopped breast feeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Drdoc

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Yes, its only now that I notice that I have loads of hair thats 3 inches long, but the rest of my hair is nearly to my elbow. I had so much loss that I caused a problem with the bath drainage!

And it was much worse the second time, just after I stopped breast feeding.

Oh god I'm scared now. I've already had enough hair loss to block the Hoover and the shower. What's it gonna be like when I stop breastfeeding?! :O

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mrsmammy4

Thanks everyone :D don't feel so alone in it all now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

So lemme get this straight..... Pregnancy causes:
    Weight gain
    Flabby belly
    Boobs like a pair of oranges in a pair of sports socks (that is after they resemble leaky, blue veined boulders)
    Varicose veins
    Puffy everything

And you go bald as well??!!! It's such a magical time! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

I had so much hair after having my baby in April that I hairdresser I had never gone to before asked me if I'd just had a baby as I had so much growth on top. Sure I was I had dodged this dreaded side effect of pregnancy!

Short lived as bang on four months post partum I was literally pulling clumps out in the shower, finding my hair in her nappies and mounds of hair all over the floors. I reduced the frequency of hair washes to every third day ish, used mane and tail shampoo and have not straightened my hair since August. I also started taking Vitamin B12. It's pretty much stopped coming out now and is growing like mad. My daughter is 6 months old tomorrow.

I got only about 4 weeks out of my last set of highlights as all the new hair was growing through!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

I'm noticing this too much worse on the second baby. The house is covered in hairs - horrible. Baby is 5 months old. If it doesn't stop soon I'll be bald altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

nikpmup wrote: »
    So lemme get this straight..... Pregnancy causes:
    Weight gain
    Flabby belly
    Boobs like a pair of oranges in a pair of sports socks (that is after they resemble leaky, blue veined boulders)
    Varicose veins
    Puffy everything

And you go bald as well??!!! It's such a magical time! :P

Don't forget it ruins your teeth! I had to have a root canal today and it all stemmed from tooth damage while pregnant. Glamorous!

I also had a baby in June and my hair is coming out at a fast rate. My hairdresser warned me it would happen so my last cut he did his best to work around it. He said there's nothing you can do really! Every time the baby grabs my hair now there's always loads of hairs in his chubby little fist afterwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Don't forget it ruins your teeth! I had to have a root canal today and it all stemmed from tooth damage while pregnant. Glamorous!

I also had a baby in June and my hair is coming out at a fast rate. My hairdresser warned me it would happen so my last cut he did his best to work around it. He said there's nothing you can do really! Every time the baby grabs my hair now there's always loads of hairs in his chubby little fist afterwards!

It also gave me spots! About a week after I had him my entire face broke out in pimples, I'm still covered in them now. The glamour that is motherhood!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

This happened to me too. My hair looked great when I was pregnant, then about 5 months post baby it started falling out. I knew it would happen but because it took a while I kind of thought I had got away with it, no such luck. My daughter is 22 months now and my hair is only just starting to get back to normal. I have quite fine hair anyway so if you have thick hair it might not take so long.

There is nothing you can do to stop it as far as I know but a cut can work wonders. Added bonus you get some pampering time for yourself in the process :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I could have written your post too. Baby is five months now and my hairs been falling out all over the house the last two months. I can see thinner bits at the front too.
    Definitely worse this time than on my first baby.

A friend recommended Head High vitamins, I started them yesterday. Not convinced they'll work but presume they won't do any harm! She reckons they're great.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Same problem after baby one and never fully recovered before baby two. Was so thin afterwards. Tried head high and found it good but that was between pregnancies. Nioxin also recommended to me and have just started it. You can buy it online on lookfantastic.com anyway in a pack so hopefully that will give me a boost. Hair is growing back, I've got the little fringe going on, but not fast or thick enough for my liking!
    Also my hairdresser mentioned these fibres you shake on your head to cover the scalp showing - not too sure about them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Think this is happening to me, there's hairs everywhere :( unless it's just stress related, which I hope it is coz I love my hair

Advertisement