Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blue Screen on Windows XP/Linux PC

Options
  • 22-10-2013 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I have aDell PC , dual booting Windows XP andLinux Mint on it. I originally set the partitions on the HDD at 10 GB for eachsystem. Both systems worked ok until I recentlyran into a space problem on Drive C in Windows.I concluded that I needed to increasethe partition size on the HDD.

So aftermuch trawling on the web I eventually down-loaded a copy of Partition Wizardand used it to increase the size of theWindows partition. I believe that I followed the Wizard instructions correctlybut unfortunately I now am unable to boot-up either Windows or Linux, as the “dreadedBlue Screen” has appeared. Despite many attempts I have concluded that I havemessed up the boot –up process for XP inmy ignorance of IT issues!.

Should I goback and start from scratch with my IT effortsand reformat the HDD and load Windows XP OS on its own forgetting about Linux? (In any event I really have no greatinterest in using Linux). This would then be a Win XP PC only running Microsoft Office(incl.Outlook)

Or

Should I attemptto resurrect my dual-booting system and increase the partition size toaccommodate both systems……that’s if I can get rid of the “dreaded Blue Screen”!This might save a lot of IT problems which might arise in a rebuild fromscratch.

I shouldsay that I am a novice when it comes to IT so I would have to keep the “cure”as simple as possible!!

How should Iproceed?

All replieswill be much appreciated

Pete

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

I would recover your data first with a Linux live cd. After that it is a personal choice as to how you proceed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

When you Install Linux, the Linux Bootloader Over Writes the Windows boot loader so when you made your Windows partition bigger i am wondering did you delete Linux bootloader which will stop either from booting up now.

you are the first person that i have come across in some time that still use physical partitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Pensioner Pete

Hi Harney/Cork24

Many thanks for your replies to my Blue Screen problems and apologies for delay in replying. I took on board your suggestions in trying to resolve the problem. I'm afraid I made a total mess of the boot load system which resulted in not being able to boot either package. Eventually after much sweat and tears I took the ultimate step....deleted both systems and loaded Windows XP on its own. Its now working perfectly and I'm afraid Linux will be put on the back burner for some time!!

Thanks again for your replies

Regards

Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Hi Harney/Cork24

Many thanks for your replies to my Blue Screen problems and apologies for delay in replying. I took on board your suggestions in trying to resolve the problem. I'm afraid I made a total mess of the boot load system which resulted in not being able to boot either package. Eventually after much sweat and tears I took the ultimate step....deleted both systems and loaded Windows XP on its own. Its now working perfectly and I'm afraid Linux will be put on the back burner for some time!!

Thanks again for your replies

Regards

Pete

If you decide to touch Linux again you might be better off using a virtual machine.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

In case you are not familiar with virtual machines it essential creates a fake pc within a file on your main operating system. If you get bored with the virtual machine you just delete the file. It does not affect your main operating system - download the version for xp from the link above. It is free to use.

You can grab a distro to install from distrowatch. If you get bored with one type, or find it too difficult you just install another one within the virtual machine and try it.

http://distrowatch.com/

Alternatively, ignore Linux and work away with Windows :)

Hi Harney
    Many thanks for the information on Virtual Box and Distrowatch. However I’m afraid that I am a creature of habit and will stick with the Windows XP system! I have a lot of experience of it having used it over the years. On the other hand Linux really did not interest me. A friend of mine gave me a copy to try out but I could not generate any enthusiasm for it. I needed to load XP on the PC which had Linux installed and then all my IT problems with dual-booting arose.!!
    Pleased to report now that I have Windows XP installed and running on its own on my second PC! Happiness is!!
    Thanks again for your help
    Regards
    Pete

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Cork24 wrote: »
    When you Install Linux, the Linux Bootloader Over Writes the Windows boot loader so when you made your Windows partition bigger i am wondering did you delete Linux bootloader which will stop either from booting up now.

you are the first person that i have come across in some time that still use physical partitions.
    I have a triple boot on a physical drive and much prefer it than virtual which I have used in the past but just don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

Im a bit late on this one but should it happen again, pop in the Windows CD and boot into setup, then choose repair, go into command prompt and run the following 2 commanda

fixboot
    fixmbr

Remove CD, reboot and you should be good to go.

Hi
    Many thanks for the info on using Windows CD and the "Fix" commands. If I have this problem again I certainly will use these "Fix" commands.

Many thanks

Pete

Ps Apologies for delay in replying to your msg.

Advertisement