Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving License Expiration

Options
  • 22-10-2013 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hey,
    it's not going to happen for a few years yet but when my driving license expires, can I get a renewed Irish one or will I have to change it to a French license?

My next question probably differs from country to country so it may not be relative but if I have to get a French one, will I have to sit another test or can I transfer my Irish one to a brand spanking new French one?

I think the first question is more important and probably relevant for others who read this thread.

Sidenote: Apart from 'disappearing', I've not done anything in the last 2 years to officially say in Ireland I've emmigrated. Not out of slyness... just didn't bother.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

As the Irish licence has your address on it, technically you have to be resident in Ireland to have one.

When mine was due to expire I got a Spanish one instead. Should I move back to Ireland it's easily transferable back to an Irish one.
    I didn't have to take a test here to have a Spanish one, and I don't think it's necessary in France either although I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Xdancer wrote: »
    As the Irish licence has your address on it, technically you have to be resident in Ireland to have one.

When mine was due to expire I got a Spanish one instead. Should I move back to Ireland it's easily transferable back to an Irish one.
    I didn't have to take a test here to have a Spanish one, and I don't think it's necessary in France either although I'm open to correction.

No you don't need to be resident in Ireland to have an Irish driving license.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/driving/validity/faq-resident/index_en.htm

Basically your license is valid until it expires (as long as it is not longer than the maximum validity of a license in that EU Country)

At which stage your can exchange it for a french one or indeed you can exchange it before that time.

You only need to be an Irish resident to apply for an Irish license.

Advertisement