Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Phase Power - Higher Standing Charge?

Options
  • 22-10-2013 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

Currently looking at a house that has 3 phase power installed. I have no real need for it, would you have to pay a higher monthly standing charge than the usual supply?

I know it's handy if you have motors etc. that require 3 phase supply but are there any other practical benefits? Would it use more or less units than a standard supply or not make any difference? If I wanted to make the most of it what kind of things could I do? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

dunno about the standing charge

3-phase workshop..

you can connect an instantaneous shower to each phase..rather than fitting controller

storage heating..

or it could just be that the installation requires the extra capacity..

the usage is the usage...whether 1P or 3P

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

As per above post.
    rickyjb wrote: »
    Currently looking at a house that has 3 phase power installed. I have no real need for it, would you have to pay a higher monthly standing charge than the usual supply?

Yes, the 3 phase standing charge will cost you more.
    I know it's handy if you have motors etc. that require 3 phase supply but are there any other practical benefits?

There are several advantages, but you may find that they are of little use to you.

A 3 phase supply will mean that the Maximum Imort Capacity (MIC) is increased.

http://www.esb.ie/esbnetworks/en/business-customers/mic/mic.jsp

Also in comparison to single phase motors 3 phase motors are:
    1) Cheaper to buy
    2) Cheaper to run
    3) Cheaper to maintain
    4) Run smoother

Would it use more or less units than a standard supply or not make any difference?

If all loads are single phase the power consumption would be identical.
    If 3 phase motors are used rather than single phase running costs can be reduced (as above).
    If I wanted to make the most of it what kind of things could I do?

Build a workshop with 3 phase electric arc welders, lathes etc... :D

Advertisement