Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,712 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Got my MX3 2gb from gearbest last week it came with the 110k4 Firmware so i found a new one 112k4 to update, but before I updated to this i wanted to make a nandroid back up so i installed TWRP recovery did the backup and then installed the new Firmware 112k4 which has a few more settings in relation to Dolby Dts audio settings, anyway I then decided to install openlec 5.0 and that's where my problems began, I couldn’t for the life of me get the box to boot into recovery mode to update it's seemed when I installed the new Firmware 112k4 it was not compatiple with TWRP so my back up was uselsss, it's after taking me all this week to figure out but I got into recovery mode I did this firstly by downloading an old 108k4 Firmware, downloading amologic USB burning tools and copied over to the mx3 which gave me a Fresh install and which allowed me to get into the CWM recovery mode to install openelec 5.0 which i have to say is fantastic everything seems so much zippier But what a f****** dose

I blame TWRP! Damn thing gave me all sorts of issues ony old M8.

Just installed 5.0 myself on the same box, had planned to keep Android but think I just prefer the extra zip from Open Elec. The wife won't mind what's on it as long as she can operate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

dahat wrote: »
    I blame TWRP! Damn thing gave me all sorts of issues ony old M8.

Just installed 5.0 myself on the same box, had planned to keep Android but think I just prefer the extra zip from Open Elec. The wife won't mind what's on it as long as she can operate it!

Yeah very important to keep them happy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Which is better on wifi, MXQ or M8? Have an MX2 gbox in the bedroom, but can be a bit buffery at night time so wondering if one of the newer boxes would be any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Is there anyway to control one of the Minix boxes remotely from an Android phone, in a different location?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Is there anyway to control one of the Minix boxes remotely from an Android phone, in a different location?

Yatse is great for controlling xbmc. Haven't found anything decent for controlling the whole box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Which is better on wifi, MXQ or M8? Have an MX2 gbox in the bedroom, but can be a bit buffery at night time so wondering if one of the newer boxes would be any better.

Set of homeplugs might be the better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

i've a minix x8-h. (ethernet conection - 6mb broadband)

couple of nights ago i start watching a film on xbmc, it plays perfectly, no buffering.
    Then last night i want to watch the second half of it. Same addon but buffering every ten min.
    then i tried to watch in on istream but all the links are the same, no matter if hd/dvd/sd .Extremely slow buffering to about 4% then "cache is full".
    this happens me alot.
    is there any settings i can change or anything i can do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,027 ✭✭✭✭rob316

donegal. wrote: »
    i've a minix x8-h. (ethernet conection - 6mb broadband)

couple of nights ago i start watching a film on xbmc, it plays perfectly, no buffering.
    Then last night i want to watch the second half of it. Same addon but buffering every ten min.
    then i tried to watch in on istream but all the links are the same, no matter if hd/dvd/sd .Extremely slow buffering to about 4% then "cache is full".
    this happens me alot.
    is there any settings i can change or anything i can do ?

Did you set up a ZERO CACHE?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

rob316 wrote: »
    Did you set up a ZERO CACHE?

i tried that a while back but it made the box totally freeze, i had to unplug it and reboot.
    ended up reinstalling xbmc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

donegal. wrote: »
    i tried that a while back but it made the box totally freeze, i had to unplug it and reboot.
    ended up reinstalling xbmc.

DO not zero cache on the MInix, it kills the box. You need to reinstall XBMC after you do that.....

What version of firmware you running?

• Advertisement

The M8 is shocking bad.....the MXQ I dont think is great either.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

i have a few sumvision x4,s on the way they are s805 and run open-elec.and not a bad price either from the uk.i had the old sumvision nano slim boxs and have to say i sold about 100 of them and never had an issue with even one of them.

massy086 wrote: »
    i have a few sumvision x4,s on the way they are s805 and run open-elec.and not a bad price either from the uk.i had the old sumvision nano slim boxs and have to say i sold about 100 of them and never had an issue with even one of them.

Thing about Open Elec is no Acestream and a lot of folk tend to look for free sports via P2P so I'd imagine you are confining your market a bit maybe.

Thing about Open Elec is no Acestream and a lot of folk tend to look for free sports via P2P so I'd imagine you are confining your market a bit maybe.
    ah tbh there is plenty of option,s for sport.and if they want sport that bad i always advice to go with a paid sub as the quality is the best

massy086 wrote: »
    ah tbh there is plenty of option,s for sport.and if they want sport that bad i always advice to go with a paid sub as the quality is the best

That's exactly what I do, pay a small sub for reliable stream so I get best of both worlds. Can't beat Open Elec IMO, far better than Android for XBMC.

ye defo i run it on 2 chromeboxs and a htpc and never have any issues tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Justin10

What is the best version of xbmc to install?

Is it helix or Gotham?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Rochey18 wrote: »

Is it helix or Gotham?

Helix is newer (alphabetical). Support for Gotham addons will die as the developers move to concentrate on Helix

Is it helix or Gotham?

There is a big push to Helix as this is version they changed name to Kodi....everything is been pushed to get everyone onto Helix/Kodi

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭Invincible

Is it helix or Gotham?

Gotham for now until they come out with final release of Helix, I've read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

There is Ace for OpenELEC ?Runs fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

bazzz wrote: »
    There is Ace for OpenELEC ?Runs fine.

'Android' box versions - Specifically the most popular Codesnake versions. They don't (yet) have a compatible Acestream engine installer. It is possible by adding the stream link to the command line, that would take forever to do manually, and may end up being full of dead links.

Stane1983's (amlinux version), Cronicorey (MX linux) or Jaybob's version (Linux XBMC/Linuxbmc) would be the more popular versions that may have it, and I know there are one or two old 'private' builds that definitely have it, along with a couple of other OS themed versions.

But I'd say he was referring to arm stable versions, and across builds. E.G. From a Jynxbox to an OUYA to an MX2 etc.. Which doesn't exist.
    (Arm only has an old outdated engine - Acestream 2.0.8.7)

While some builds have a working version/are more stable on different machines, Codesnake builds seems to be the most polished for each box it's intended for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Thanx for that.It does work though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

bazzz wrote: »
    Thanx for that.It does work though.

Yes, but not on Arm devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Dub_Jim_Royle

I know this isn't technically a support thread but couldn't find an answer to my prob. Also I know @big Nelly is on here regularly and hope he can help.

Recently bought a mxq ott box. Most of the apps won't launch. In particular xbmc. xbmc would get to the end of 'initialize on first run' but then would force close at the very end. The app then wouldn't open at all until I cleared cache, then it would try to initialize again and fail at the end.
    In the Engrish instructions it tells me to unzip an upgrade package to the SD. I cannot find any zip file. It's supposed to contain factory_update_param.ami, xxx.zip and recovery. Can't find these either.
    I have made sure all files are unhidden.
    Another strange thing is that I tried to fix the xbmc problem by uninstalling then reinstall the apk but I can't find it....

Any ideas peeps?
    Thanks

I know this isn't technically a support thread but couldn't find an answer to my prob. Also I know @big Nelly is on here regularly and hope he can help.

Recently bought a mxq ott box. Most of the apps won't launch. In particular xbmc. xbmc would get to the end of 'initialize on first run' but then would force close at the very end. The app then wouldn't open at all until I cleared cache, then it would try to initialize again and fail at the end.
    In the Engrish instructions it tells me to unzip an upgrade package to the SD. I cannot find any zip file. It's supposed to contain factory_update_param.ami, xxx.zip and recovery. Can't find these either.
    I have made sure all files are unhidden.
    Another strange thing is that I tried to fix the xbmc problem by uninstalling then reinstall the apk but I can't find it....

Any ideas peeps?
    Thanks

http://www.cnx-software.com/2014/09/20/em6q-mxq-unboxing/

Is this the box?

That's the one. in the about device it calls it MediaBox.

S805 mxq
    looks like the build no. is 20141201 ie. over a year old.

thanks

That's the one. in the about device it calls it MediaBox.

S805 mxq
    looks like the build no. is 20141201 ie. over a year old.

thanks

There is a number of firmwares knocking around for this. You need to do a firmware upgrade....thread here I found

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?19032-EM6Q-MXQ-Version-2014-11-04-Firmware

Allyall mentioned before this was the box the dev team are using for OpenELEC......might be an option if Android is dodgy

Big Nelly wrote: »
    There is a number of firmwares knocking around for this. You need to do a firmware upgrade....thread here I found

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?19032-EM6Q-MXQ-Version-2014-11-04-Firmware

Allyall mentioned before this was the box the dev team are using for OpenELEC......might be an option if Android is dodgy

Thanks Big Nelly,

Only thing I was concerned was I read somewhere that somebody downloaded another firmware which caused a bootloop.
    Emailed the seller and keep getting auto reply to return it to them.

Will give it a go I spose.
    Prepare for more frantic posts!

• Advertisement

Thanks Big Nelly,

Only thing I was concerned was I read somewhere that somebody downloaded another firmware which caused a bootloop.
    Emailed the seller and keep getting auto reply to return it to them.

Will give it a go I spose.
    Prepare for more frantic posts!

No problem. There is always a risk with any of the boxes when doing a firmware upgrade but there is no way around it on most of the boxes....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement