Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

iba wrote: »
    Hi
    I have justxbmc on my box too but I did not put the finless. Rom. Should I and what are its benefits please?

I also got the logitech keyboard. I think it's the k300 for £30 on amazon.

Cheers

The main improvement I noticed with the Finless Rom was the improvement in video quality i.e. any issues with jittery video within XBMC or Netflix were solved.

It also changes the launcher to being very similar to stock android which I much prefer to the skin that came with the device.

The process for installing the Rom also gives you root access to the device which opens up extra features in some apps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

good info there, cheers.

I saw a video about Fusion, so thanks for that too.

I just want to ask, how does it actually work? Is power drawn from the TVs USB port? Or does it just slot into the HDMI port on the TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

good info there, cheers.

I saw a video about Fusion, so thanks for that too.

I just want to ask, how does it actually work? Is power drawn from the TVs USB port? Or does it just slot into the HDMI port on the TV?

I have mine powered with a spare mobile phone charger that I had. I noticed that the power unit that comes with the device is grand for powering the device itself but doesn't seem to provide enough juice to power any peripherals that you might connect i.e. a USB hub.

Haven't tried powering it from the TV's USB but will give that a go later.

Aside from the video streaming stuff like XBMC & Showbox, I have found the MK908ii to be excellent for running emulators of old video game consoles. The Playstation 1 emulation in particular is nigh on perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭bren2001

Anyone recommend a good android box where its main function is to run torrent stream controller with the acestream engine? I was looking at the MK809 II.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Folks, has anybody used MiniX Neo 7, any reviews please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

how do you stop xbmc when it gets stuck on 'please wait' and 'working' on streams and video addons?

all I gave is wireless mouse and xbmc remote

thanks

keith16 wrote: »
    Fantastic, that's a great help.

One other quick n00b question. I am using remotedroid through my phone to navigate around. I'm also using yatse to control XBMC.

Each time I turn on my android tv, I have to configure the IP settings in both remotes on my phone to get them working.

Is there anyway I can use a static IP so I don't have to do this each time?

How did you install the remoteDROId server app?
    there's a jar and bat file in the Zip?

and did you have to do anything with java?
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

How did you install the remoteDROId server app?
    there's a jar and bat file in the Zip?

and did you have to do anything with java?
    thanks

I'd guess he was talking about one of these - https://play.google.com/store/search?q=remotedroid&hl=en

Allyall wrote: »
    I'd guess he was talking about one of these - https://play.google.com/store/search?q=remotedroid&hl=en

yes they're the client apps.. I have that on the phone

the server app is a separate Web download

maybe it's a different app?

yes they're the client apps.. I have that on the phone

the server app is a separate Web download

maybe it's a different app?

Sorry, I thought he was controlling his box from his phone.

http://remotedroid.net/ This maybe what you are looking for as it matches the correct app with it. All the relevant info is there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 ainm usaideoir

Hi , Is it possible to record a program on a channel that you are streming ? e.g if I was watching ITV2 with the Tronsmart MK908II could I record to a usb ?

Sorry, I thought he was controlling his box from his phone.

http://remotedroid.net/ This maybe what you are looking for as it matches the correct app with it. All the relevant info is there too.

yes I thought that was what he was doing too

• Registered Users Posts: 22,215 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I ordered MX android from Amazon and got it today working good so far just having a little trouble with ace streams buffering but that might be because it's Ice hockey and not enough people watching it

Hi , Is it possible to record a program on a channel that you are streming ? e.g if I was watching ITV2 with the Tronsmart MK908II could I record to a usb ?

If you want to record BBC 1/2/3/4or ITV 1/2/3 +1 etc, or many other TV stations, you could get the Filmon App. There are others, but Filmon with a free account couldn't be easier, My Mother records loads to watch on it. loves it.

Sky Go, Aer TV (For Irish Channels also) by Magnet, Tons of others and all of the XBMC add ons.. There are loads. But Filmon is just very user friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hye guys, box is flying, I was looking to get another one for spare room....will be used very rarely so cheap is the best for me!!!! what is cheapest box that will get up and running? no need for it to run HD version or anything

Torrent Stream Controller seems much better than xbmc stuff
    thanks to whoever recommended that
    great picture

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Hye guys, box is flying, I was looking to get another one for spare room....will be used very rarely so cheap is the best for me!!!! what is cheapest box that will get up and running? no need for it to run HD version or anything

An MK808B should do just fine! I'm still using mine as my main box and haven't felt the need to upgrade yet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

great picture

Hadn't heard of it either but just tried it out there now. Good quality indeed! 18 Euro is a bit steep for the full version though. Did you buy it or are you just using the free version? I managed to find an old version that doesn't have any nag screens but still can't add to favourites or search.

Only problem now is that the old version keeps showing up under "update all" in the play store. Anyone know of a way to stop it showing up there as I want to use the "update all" option but would like it to skip certain apps that I never want updated? I read an article here saying it was supposed to be possible but I can't find the option in my play store:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/08/21/psa-as-of-play-store-v4-3-10-you-can-finally-disable-automatic-updates-for-certain-apps-and-update-all-will-honor-these-settings/

Blade wrote: »
    Hadn't heard of it either but just tried it out there now. Good quality indeed! 18 Euro is a bit steep for the full version though. Did you buy it or are you just using the free version? I managed to find an old version that doesn't have any nag screens but still can't add to favourites or search.

Only problem now is that the old version keeps showing up under "update all" in the play store. Anyone know of a way to stop it showing up there as I want to use the "update all" option but would like it to skip certain apps that I never want updated? I read an article here saying it was supposed to be possible but I can't find the option in my play store:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/08/21/psa-as-of-play-store-v4-3-10-you-can-finally-disable-automatic-updates-for-certain-apps-and-update-all-will-honor-these-settings/
    just using the free version

pretty good though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

great picture

Not the prettiest app, but very good quality so far for me. Only using the free version too. Shame I cant cast it to my Chromecast but hopefully when my cheap android tv stick arrives I won't need to worry about that.

• Advertisement

Not the prettiest app, but very good quality so far for me. Only using the free version too. Shame I cant cast it to my Chromecast but hopefully when my cheap android tv stick arrives I won't need to worry about that.

Allcast or Avia should cast to Chromecast.

Allcast or Avia should cast to Chromecast.

Just get a blank screen with both of those apps (paid) on the couple of channels I tried. Will have another go though as Allcast works very well with nearly every film I've played on S***box

i'm on 3mb dsl and it's working flawlessly

just had to adjust acestream buffer settings

brilliant for sports great picture

i'm on 3mb dsl and it's working flawlessly

just had to adjust acestream buffer settings

brilliant for sports great picture

Yeah hopefully when I get my android stick it will work just as well.

Edit: What settings did you use TomD, if you don't mind me asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

Is there any way to show picture fullscreen, or is that setting only available with paid version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Slightly off topic, just tried Torrent Stream Controller, all channels are overdubbed in Russian, and I can't find a setting to change.

Using VLC for playback and a Google turned up nothing.

If you want to record BBC 1/2/3/4or ITV 1/2/3 +1 etc, or many other TV stations, you could get the Filmon App. There are others, but Filmon with a free account couldn't be easier, My Mother records loads to watch on it. loves it.

Sky Go, Aer TV (For Irish Channels also) by Magnet, Tons of others and all of the XBMC add ons.. There are loads. But Filmon is just very user friendly.

Thanks ! , After reading through this thread the only question I have before I get one is : external or internal antenna ? I was going to choose either one of these , nooby here so any help ..... : https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.geekbuying.com%2Fitem%2FRikomagic-MK802IV-Android-4-2-Jelly-Bean-Mini-PC-TV-BOX-RK3188-Quad-Core-1-8Ghz-2G-8G-BT-315126.html&ei=7REnU5q0IYOAhAf_5oDwCg&usg=AFQjCNEvyA5QvNLfjrtsaQIUK9_APdxjmw&bvm=bv.62922401,d.ZG4 or https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.geekbuying.com%2Fitem%2FTronsmart-MK908II-RK3188-Cortex-A9-Quad-Core-1-6GHz-Google-Android-4-2-Mini-TV-BOX-2G-8G-BT-External-Wifi-Antenna-Black-318432.html&ei=gBInU_uEKdCQhQeT34CgBg&usg=AFQjCNEVC6T26H7REqg3gqfUlHdhshdtzw&bvm=bv.62922401,d.ZG4 Thanks!

Blade wrote: »

I hadn't noticed any of these comments before, I had seen one at the end.
    To stop Play store updating/asking to update, - open play store, then settings, then "Auto Update Apps". I choose "Do not auto-update apps". If that's any help.. It means you have to check manually, individually on apps that you do want updated.

Do you have adaway installed? I have zero nag screens, and never have (that I've noticed).

Full version is available coincidentally, as a torrent. But it's not the best solution for me. The EPG is in Russian Only (Although I haven't checked the latest version).
    DVB solutions are popping up more and more as a solution for the EPG's but I haven't tried them out yet.
    DVBdream and DVBviewer Controller are being mentioned as the "how to" and "app to use" that I have read from Acestream.org forums (Using Google Chrome).

Also, one of the main repo makers for xbmc has been out on their own for a bit now, with zero adverts, and is no longer associated with Mikey1234 or any of them, afaik. no cr@p at all, and works great. I'm sure many stayed using it afterwards, but i didn't. I only reinstalled about ~3 weeks ago.
    I hated that whole episode, as it had me cleaning up quite a few systems and I only used one of their addons at the time for something unrelated (In-house ads, timetables, local news feeds).

Personally, right now I'm going for the MX2. But both of them are good too. I am loving the newest firmware and smoothness.

All are good TBH.

how do you stop Xbox when a stream doesn't load properly?

none of the controls will stop it 'working'

• Advertisement

Allyall , thanks for your input ! The MX2 is dual core other 2 are quad core , would that make much difference ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement