Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

IR receiver (built-in, remote included)

and Delivery is free in UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E2R0Z3Y/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3DU6ZPSM1YUGM
    do they deliver to ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Use Parcel Motel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Allyall wrote: »
    I don't know...
    The build quality would be the same. Both are very well built.
    Overall performance, - I had no issues with either. Early on there was quite a few issues with RK3188 devices, but they're virtually non existent now, and really only apply to anyone using software/firmware pre-Christmas..

Manufacturer Support, You might get the same software support from matricom as you would from Minix, But hardware support, (If anything failed), I can't say how either would fare out.

3rd party ROM support, Roughly equal. Since 4.2 not much need for them performance wise, except to remove bloatware added. But run linux on them and they fly. (The Minix slightly better).

I can't comment at all on Wifi. I have a pretty good wireless setup. But, In the worst part of my house (Extension, with TV) I'm pretty sure both worked. I can't remember having any issues.

After writing that, and thinking about it, If both met in the middle and were ~ €80 - I'd have to go with the Minix X7 It has the better CPU, But don't let that take away from how well the MX2 performs.

Thanks Allyall, that's a fair comparison. I've never used Linux so I think I'll stick to Android for the play store apps etc although I know there's a Linux version of XBMC and I'm sure there must be Linux versions of major/popular apps/software.

I think I'll plum for the N7 as it has an external antenna, greater internal storage and better CPU. I need excellent WiFi coverage for the location I have in mind.

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Has anyone here got hands on experience with the Minix A2 Wireless Mouse remote control? http://www.amazon.co.uk/MINIX-Wireless-Mouse-Speaker-G-Sensor/dp/B00EHFEJGU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1395420784&sr=1-1&keywords=minix+a2

the reviews on amazon.co.uk are crap i.e. the movement is uncontrollable and batteries are only lasting 5 days with an average of one hours use per day!!!

Perhaps it's just better to use the remote which comes with the device and/or the RC Android app Minix have on their website http://www.minix.com.hk/Apps.htm?

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

From my bit of research. Amazon will not send any of these boxes to an Irish address. So you will have to use Parcel Motel or have a friend/cousin/family member in U.K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

£89 on ebay - Free shipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

BenThere wrote: »
    Has anyone here got hands on experience with the Minix A2 Wireless Mouse remote control? http://www.amazon.co.uk/MINIX-Wireless-Mouse-Speaker-G-Sensor/dp/B00EHFEJGU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1395420784&sr=1-1&keywords=minix+a2

the reviews on amazon.co.uk are crap i.e. the movement is uncontrollable and batteries are only lasting 5 days with an average of one hours use per day!!!

Perhaps it's just better to use the remote which comes with the device and/or the RC Android app Minix have on their website http://www.minix.com.hk/Apps.htm?

Ben

I have used numerous apps and wireless controls/keyboards and none beat the Logitech k400. Cheap enough on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

I have used numerous apps and wireless controls/keyboards and none beat the Logitech k400. Cheap enough on Amazon.

I use that too and can only say it is brill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

have you used this site before? they seem to be cheaper than amazon anyway ,might give them a go, i was quoted 179 from a seller on adverts for the x7

no.. but they have a good reputation here for customer service

Thanks,this one on ebay would i need to install anything on it or would it be just ready to use,not really up to speed on these

• Advertisement

Thanks,this one on ebay would i need to install anything on it or would it be just ready to use, not really up to speed on these

At most, you may need to update it, but that's easy enough.
    +1
    Without a doubt, it's the best option for a wireless controller/keyboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

To you guys who know your stuff, what do you think of this http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00I18XL4A/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A29EZVB447EKA7.

And the price includes free delivery to Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

To you guys who know your stuff, what do you think of this http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00I18XL4A/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A29EZVB447EKA7.

And the price includes free delivery to Ireland.

I have that one. Its excellent. Runs XBMC fine.

That's a great price delivered aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭bazzz

I'd be watching out for import duties,not that you'll get hit.But there is a chance!!
    Even though the seller has the Item Location listed as being in the UK,just below in the description,he states the following....
    Please Read
    From long standing UK seller since 2002
    I have now moved to China and all items will be posted from China.
    So be aware you may get charged import duties, however 95% of the items never get charged duty

BenThere wrote: »

Ben

I've been using the A2 for quite a bit now.....While the mouse can sometimes lose track of itself,a quick shake or press fn+Y to quickly calibrate again.....fixes the issue.The batteries have been an issue for some people,my current batteries have been in use for about six weeks now.
    Overall I'm quite happy with the remote.It's the one I keep returning to for it's ease of use and solid build.I'm quite fortunate at the moment to be able to test Minix & a few other Android Products for a family member that is now importing Android devices to Ireland.
    Like all related devices there's a learning curve to them,which will ultimately lead to your own customized optimal experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Ordered the MK908II from Geekbuying on Tuesday, and it shipped today via DHL, with 3-5 business days delivery time, so should have it by this day next week.

This has arrived in Ireland, and they need €8.07 tax before delivering it.

Going to go for the minix7 neo can anyone recommend the best site to buy from i want to get the wireless keyboard control also

This has arrived in Ireland, and they need €8.07 tax before delivering it.

They probably had the price marked on the outside. Unlucky, but €8.07 isn't the worst.
    Going to go for the minix7 neo can anyone recommend the best site to buy from i want to get the wireless keyboard control also

I think there is minix.eu site - It's not a Minix site, but an "Official" reseller.
    They sell the minix with the K400, or choice of keyboard. I can't remeber the price, but do remember thinking it wasn't too bad for the two of them in a set.

EDIT: - http://www.minix-shop.eu/product_info.php?info=p23_minix-neo-x7-android-quad-core-4-2-tv-box---logitech-k400-tastatur.html

But, you may be able to get the K400 cheaper if you look around.

Minix Neo X7
    and (for example)
    K400

They probably had the price marked on the outside. Unlucky, but €8.07 isn't the worst.

I think there is minix.eu site - It's not a Minix site, but an "Official" reseller.
    They sell the minix with the K400, or choice of keyboard. I can't remeber the price, but do remember thinking it

wasn't too bad for the two of them in a set.

EDIT: - http://www.minix-shop.eu/product_info.php?info=p23_minix-neo-x7-android-quad-core-4-2-tv-box---logitech-k400-tastatur.html

But, you may be able to get the K400 cheaper if you look around.

Minix Neo X7
    and (for example)
    K400

Cheers for the link,when you go into that site the bundle is actually only coming as 132.90

Cheers for the link,when you go into that site the bundle is actually only coming as 132.90

That's the Minix Neo X7 MINI - Not the Minix Neo X7.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I was expecting it from other posts here tbh, so wasn't a shock. It's a grand little thing, was up and running on netflix in a matter of minutes having turned it on.

I'm going to install the Finless ROM and justxmbc as advised in here.

Happy with it so far.

sorry yeah did'nt spot that thanks, got a quote there from seller on adverts for the x7 plus the a2 wireless air mouse for €150

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I have the Neo X7 and it's packed away back in it's box because the video playback is unwatchable for me. YouTube isn't too bad for some reason but everything else is terrible.
    It stutters and jumps on everything, even downloaded AVI's etc. through a USB or installed on the device itself.

It's well documented on other fora so it's not just mine and apparently Minix are not even acknowledging there is an issue.

There is supposed to be a fix which makes it run much better involving rooting and changing kernels or something but I'm not confident enough to try that.
    It also crashes a hell of a lot.

I'd make sure you have a comeback on it if anyone is thinking of getting it.
    Mine came from Hong Kong and is probably not worth the time, money and effort sending back.

I have the Neo X7 and it's packed away back in it's box because the video playback is unwatchable for me. YouTube isn't too bad for some reason but everything else is terrible.
    It stutters and jumps on everything, even downloaded AVI's etc. through a USB or installed on the device itself.

It's well documented on other fora so it's not just mine and apparently Minix are not even acknowledging there is an issue.

There is supposed to be a fix which makes it run much better involving rooting and changing kernels or something but I'm not confident enough to try that.

Mine came from Hong Kong and is probably not worth the time, money and effort sending back.
    Was it like this when you bought it or is it something that happened over time?

No problems on my x7 plays 720p/1080p with no issues and I'm on crappy 7MB Vf Broadband.
    What firmware are you running on yours??The current best Stock Minix FW is V08 for me,without adjusting or adding other Kernels.

Have to agree, can't fault it.
    My only quibble would be the price is double the MX2. The MX2 doesn't stutter at all, on streaming HD, XBMC, or anything I've thrown at it.

To call it a 'clone', isn't entirely accurate, as they are all made in the same place. Matricom is just an American Company that brands it. They even supply the Matricom Roms to the MX2 user.

Minix Neo X7 is great, but for half the price MX2 is very close to (if not equal) equalling it. Many other RK3188 devices available for much cheaper also, Albeit with only 1 USB port..

All of that said, Minix Neo X7 is an excellent box, and I had no issues with it that I can remember.

Hi Allyall,

Just a quick question, Here you're talking about the generic MX2 - right. As the original G-Box MX2 from Matricom is for £95 as per below link, in that case MiniX Neo 7 is cheaper and higher spec too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/G-Box-Midnight-MX2-Android-Streaming/dp/B00CH643A8

Try updating the firmware. The RK3188 is unstable, bery noticeable on early firmwares. But if you update the Firmware most, if not all problems should be gone.
    Hi Allyall,

Just a quick question, Here you're talking about the generic MX2 - right. As the original G-Box MX2 from Matricom is for £95 as per below link, in that case MiniX Neo 7 is cheaper and higher spec too.

Yeah, I think at that stage it's just the name. The MX2 and Matricom come from the same place, Minix is the the same chipset as a ton of other devices for half the price, and someone on Vondroid even posted about a couple of them on the same board.

When it comes to the Chinese boxes, and Open source software, I personally believe it's best to go with value for money, as many things could happen.

The Matricom ROM is great, I have XBMCTorrent running perfectly and zero problems.. I have other software running perfectly and IPTV etc.. running on my trustee MK808B upstairs without fault, I keep meaning to update it, but why, when it has no problems :).

The Minix X7 is great, but with the previous stability issues and the Open Source Software being updated and new versions coming out all of the time, I'd stick to to tried and trusted €50 devices.
    Minix X7 is still great, but, Personally, I'm not getting why it's so much more expensive.

Try updating the firmware. The RK3188 is unstable, bery noticeable on early firmwares. But if you update the Firmware most, if not all problems should be gone.

Yeah, I think at that stage it's just the name. The MX2 and Matricom come from the same place, Minix is the the same chipset as a ton of other devices for half the price, and someone on Vondroid even posted about a couple of them on the same board.

When it comes to the Chinese boxes, and Open source software, I personally believe it's best to go with value for money, as many things could happen.

The Matricom ROM is great, I have XBMCTorrent running perfectly and zero problems.. I have other software running perfectly and IPTV etc.. running on my trustee MK808B upstairs without fault, I keep meaning to update it, but why, when it has no problems :).

The Minix X7 is great, but with the previous stability issues and the Open Source Software being updated and new versions coming out all of the time, I'd stick to to tried and trusted €50 devices.
    Minix X7 is still great, but, Personally, I'm not getting why it's so much more expensive.

I do understand where you coming from, But I'm attracted to its Quad-core processor and 2GB RAM, for me it's kinda future-proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I'll give it another try. I updated the firmware back in October/November and it didn't do much at all.

• Advertisement

I do understand where you coming from, But I'm attracted to its Quad-core processor and 2GB RAM, for me it's kinda future-proof.

I don't know.. For example,
    Depending on what happens here and what software will have to be installed... Add to that the RK3188 has already had problems with it's stability. We couldn't say for sure what effect other software may have. It may not be compatble with some firmware and may need to be changed and those problems could raise their head again.

The AMLogic doesn't have any problems I'm aware of, and is very stable.
    Granted, if someone figures out a way to play higher than 1080p on a Full HD TV, these may have to work a little harder. AFAIK both can play 2160p (So can the RK3066). But neither would really be good enough on a 4K TV. (I personally don't think so.) -What I mean by that, is, I think they would both start to struggle after x amount of uses.

So both, are pretty much equally future proof. Except maybe for gaming..

But also, at the rate they are moving, If you bought an MX2 today at €50, you could probably get a Minix X7 for the same price in 6 months time..

EDIT - Each to their own, by all means the Minix is great, I'm just wondering why people would that's all... :)

Nosey.

Also, the Ouya is on sale at the moment - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057175806

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement