Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an Android Box that runs XBMC - [No copyrighted material]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

bazzz wrote: »
    No problems on my x7 plays 720p/1080p with no issues and I'm on crappy 7MB Vf Broadband.
    What firmware are you running on yours??The current best Stock Minix FW is V08 for me,without adjusting or adding other Kernels.
    Do you mind me asking where you bought your x7?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭uRbaN

I bought my x7 Neo from Androidgadget.co.uk

Didnt want the hassle of customs etc..ended up paying around €115...was a massive toss up between that and the ouya.

It arrived with firmware 006 which was rubbish...playback stuttered and failed on pretty much everything.
    Updated to later firmwares which were improving all the time, but always had some bug or other.
    I have settled on the Quickshot Rom
    http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?9877-Minix-Neo-X7-Quickshot-v2-Rom-by-The-Nitro-Team

This has redeemed the box completely ...Neflix, XBMC, Youtube...all top notch.
    I copped on that streaming wirelessly is also not a great idea. Powerlines made a huge difference to stability.

I see now you can get the Ouya for about €75 on Amazon...that is very tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Do you mind me asking where you bought your x7?

I bought mine from futeko.The stock is based in the UK.
    A family member has just started selling the Minix Neo x7 and various other android smart boxes.Not sure if he is fully up and running yet.I think he is selling the x7 for around the €140 mark and is shipping from Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I'll give it another try. I updated the firmware back in October/November and it didn't do much at all.

Trying to update the firmware here but all I'm getting is "unidentified device" and "device driver software was not successfully installed" when I hook it up.

On 2 different laptops, Windows 7&8
    Anybody any ideas???

I bought mine from futeko.The stock is based in the UK.
    A family member has just started selling the Minix Neo x7 and various other android smart boxes.Not sure if he is fully up and running yet.I think he is selling the x7 for around the €140 mark and is shipping from Ireland.
    Does he have a website?

• Advertisement

Does he have a website?

The site is not up and running yet.He's only new in the business.

Trying to update the firmware here but all I'm getting is "unidentified device" and "device driver software was not successfully installed" when I hook it up.

On 2 different laptops, Windows 7&8
    Anybody any ideas???

Are you sure you are doing the procedure correctly?For example in the following video.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

There's a new beta firmware for the x7 out here

http://minixforums.com/threads/neo-x7-pre-010-firmware-march-2014.4494/

I have noticed a hugh improvement since I installed it a few days ago ,no freezes,crashes and xbmc is working nicely .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

What would be the cheapest Android Box to get, Just to run XMBC on , i wouldn't be interested in the Games and other stuff. Just want to Hook it up to the tv thats all.

Are you sure you are doing the procedure correctly?

Yeah I got it eventually. The device kept switching itself off every time it was detected by the laptop, that's why I was getting those messages. Took me a good hour to cop it on :rolleyes:
    Only after I connected it back to the TV did I realise that was happening.

I flashed it with the ROM linked in uRbaN's post earlier, I'll see how I get on with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Allyall wrote: »
    Amo Navi-X is back better than ever.
    Old version works as good - no need to update to newer version. Server drops now and then when browsing menu, but perfect when watching.. Unblelievable amount of content added.
    If you get it, some streams work better with wondershare player or Rock Player.

Hey, never seen or used this, does it work like Xbmc? or different?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Oops. Wrong place :o
    Fast quote :eek:
    It's similar to some of the massive repositories in XBMC, It is also standalone. It has (as mentioned) tons of content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Atlast pulled the trigger on Neo 7 and K400.

Atlast pulled the trigger on Neo 7 and K400.

Hoping to do the same myself next week,where did you end up gettin it

Hoping to do the same myself next week,where did you end up gettin it

got it from Amazon UK, but make sure you select the seller who ships it from UK. If it is shipped from China...you may be stung for customs and I used Parcel Motel.

got it from Amazon UK, but make sure you select the seller who ships it from UK. If it is shipped from China...you may be stung for customs and I used Parcel Motel.

Cheers,how much it cost for the lot

Cheers,how much it cost for the lot

Neo 7 for £94.90 as I got it from seller Tech code - it is fulfilled by Amazon
    K 400 for £30.00

Neo 7 for £94.90 as I got it from seller Tech code - it is fulfilled by Amazon
    K 400 for £30.00
    seller on adverts I see is doin them now for €150 with A2 wireless key pad

• Advertisement

seller on adverts I see is doin them now for €150 with A2 wireless key pad

Yes, but didn't wanted A2 Wireless key pad - it doesn't have great reviews

where as K 400 was recommended by so many people here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Yes, but didn't wanted A2 Wireless key pad - it doesn't have great reviews

where as K 400 was recommended by so many people here.

I wouldnt recommend the K400. You need to use both hands to carry out any remote function. The A2 works like a regular remote for the majority of functions you will be using it for. IE only one hand required.

Believe me this makes a big difference when you are using it for a few months.

Picked up my MiniX from parcel motel on Sunday morning, set-up was easy and it comes with pre-installed XBMC for miniX, I added the add-ons I needed - so far no complaints... have only used it for streaming though...No games...

the IR remote that comes with the box is grand too...I got the K400 - no complains on that side either...

So far I'm a happy MiniXer....:)

Picked up my MiniX from parcel motel on Sunday morning, set-up was easy and it comes with pre-installed XBMC for miniX, I added the add-ons I needed - so far no complaints... have only used it for streaming though...No games...

the IR remote that comes with the box is grand too...I got the K400 - no complains on that side either...

So far I'm a happy MiniXer....:)
    good to hear, have one on order, what was the quality of the streaming like?

good to hear, have one on order, what was the quality of the streaming like?

It was good, no lag or buffering I'm on 120MB BB from UPC though. The only downside is quality of the picture...I see a marked difference when I use the netflix app which is on telly compared to the app I downloaded on the MiniX...

It was good, no lag or buffering I'm on 120MB BB from UPC though. The only downside is quality of the picture...I see a marked difference when I use the netflix app which is on telly compared to the app I downloaded on the MiniX...

I think the Netflix app itself isn't great on Android tbh.

did you stream any live stuff yet? i'l be interested to see the pic quality of this when i get mine hopefully its not to bad

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

You might need to load/sideload the latest Netflix APK in order to get the app to fit the screen right etc. One thing I noticed (using Netflix sideloaded onto an Ouya) is that the picture can be fuzzy for the first 10-20 seconds until the buffer catches up but then it's absolutely fine.

Will comment on the Neo X7 when it arrives in the next few days hopefully!!

Ben

• Advertisement

I think the Netflix app itself isn't great on Android tbh.

I don't know this is my first experience with an Android device... But even accommodating for that, the picture quality you get is a bit poor compared to smart telly's of today (mine is series 6 samsung telly with 200 hz refresh rate) and I think the box has 50hz refresh rate ....

May be I'm not comparing like for like...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement